Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tri an Mhi Half Ironman - 12th May

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Ohh !!! Its 12C as of yesterday 13.00 ... dont wanna be a kill joy !! Swim will be .............dangerous !!

As pre ITU guidlines that is !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Generally swims where the conditions are poor are shortened or cancelled and replaced with a run.
    Not saying it will happen tomorrow. Dont bank on it. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Ohh !!! Its 12C as of yesterday 13.00 ... dont wanna be a kill joy !! Swim will be .............dangerous !!

As pre ITU guidlines that is !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Read the small print. It says HTFU.

I'd be very very surprised if the swim doesn't go ahead and in full.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Oryx wrote: »
    Generally swims where the conditions are poor are shortened or cancelled and replaced with a run.
    Not saying it will happen tomorrow. Dont bank on it. ;)

Serious hail and rain showers last year - sounds like a walk in the park, this time around...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

Once there's no hailstones on the bike I'll be happy :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Good luck folks. Hope the water is nice and cold. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

All the best folks. Hope it goes well.

4:58:xx today. 9/10 overall I'm told. In pieces.

33min swim but very happy with that given who was around me in t1.
    2:50/51 bike.
    Not sure of run splits but I progressively got slower and slower, started around 4:00-4:10 pace down close to 5:00 :o

I got my revenge on KingQuez and maintained family pride over a strong running Clum.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

4:58:xx today. 9/10 overall I'm told. In pieces.

33min swim but very happy with that given who was around me in t1.
    2:50/51 bike.
    Not sure of run splits but I progressively got slower and slower, started around 4:00-4:10 pace down close to 5:00 :o

I got my revenge on KingQuez and maintained family pride over a strong running Clum.

I'd no chance against you. I assume my run split was quicker considering I met you on the hill but my swim and T1 were awful. Took me ages to warm up. I was shaking on the bike for 20 minutes.

Well done today. You're flying this year.

Great race today; tri an mhi really stepped up their game this year, it was a much bigger race and yet was managed just as well as last year. The improved weather was a nice addition :)

5.10ish today.. spent most of the day thinking about pulling out as id been a bit unwell during the week and wasn't quite over it. In the end decided to do the race, but not destroy myself during it. Liked the two lap swim as there were more intermediate goals to have, although I really bombed during it. Bike and run went ok. A bit disappointed as I had this down as the one race this year I was going to really push myself hard in. Still, you play the hand you're dealt.

Well done to everyone racing -- its a tough course, and once again massive thanks to the organizers and marshals today! Next year I can see you guys having trouble with the number of applicants :D

Great result BetterThanHoyte, well deserved revenge :) Was good to get to say hello today after the race, sorry I wasn't around to chat a bit more!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 haggis_mccloud

Enjoyed the race today. Now that it's over and I can reminisce.
    Well organised event and the marshals were great.
    5:10:xx for me also. Happy with that. Apart from my T1 - waiting to see the splits but I must have spent about 5 minutes fumbling with my wetsuit and cycling gear. Couldn't properly feel my hands or feet after the swim. Took about 10 miles on bike to stop shivering. And it was sunny. Saying that I was delighted the swim went ahead - looks like it was close to being cancelled - great idea to have the 2 laps - unfortunately a few had to pull out due to the cold after the first lap. Hopefully nothing too serious. I actually felt ok and enjoyed the swim - it was only near the end and when I got out of the water that I let the cold get to me. Good tough bike and run courses -went well but was very happy to see the finish line to complete my first HIM.
    Well done all who took part.
    KingQuez -5.10 for you too eh. Did you pass a 3der in the last 200m by any chance? I hate losing a place like that! Would normally put up a better fight than that in a sprint finish but had nothing left to give at that stage. Next time ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Are the full results online ?

peter kern wrote: »
    Are the full results online ?

http://www.precisiontiming.net/result/view/id/205

Savage running kingQuez. :eek: Super running for BTH as well and a 9th place finish. I'd be ecstatic to do 90 minutes in a standalone half never mind after that bike.

KingQuez -5.10 for you too eh. Did you pass a 3der in the last 200m by any chance? I hate losing a place like that! Would normally put up a better fight than that in a sprint finish but had nothing left to give at that stage. Next time ;)

Yep, that was me, sorry! If its any consolation you've just joined an exclusive club of people i've stolen a place from at the finishline with BTH :) ....its strange to discover all the boardies exist in real life too :D

Savage running kingQuez.

If you set your mind to it cycle slow enough you can do anything! Need to get those stabilizers off my bike soon and cycle like a big boy :D

kingQuez wrote: »
    If you set your mind to it cycle slow enough you can do anything! Need to get those stabilizers off my bike soon and cycle like a big boy :D

If it's any consolation, I cycle backwards.

Swim and run are right up there though. Figured your swim would be around the same as BTH.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Well done to all yesterday,

Jaysus that water was cold, wow full swim, and as for t1 the less said the better, took ages to warm up on the bike, but got going after Oldcastle. started to move nicely after that, and was happy enough with my bike,
    had a good run, tried to keep thing steady, not easy to do on that course, bit lumpy:D in places, started to get tired in last 2k especially after turning into head wind with 2k to go, (please tell me there was a head wind),
    was happy enough to see the finish,

Have to be happy as it was my first Half Ironman, 23th overall and know i can knock a bit of time off (swim, t1), A sub 5 is defo on the cards for a different course (that was a hard course it imo),

Nice to catch up with meet BTH, hope the party went well :D,

@kingquez must have passed you at some stage as you had a faster swim time, @haggis must have came passed you as well, I was wearing a Carrick on Suir tri suit if thats a help,

Well done to all

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Great racing here too from our boardsies. I had tipped a mate of mine for the win and he didn't disappoint.

@King Quez & Ceepo... wow lads thats savage running off the bike out of both of you!

@ BTH.. well done on the top 10 there, quality result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Tough day at the office for me. Swam ok, biked as expected and set out to make up time on the run. Set out at 1h30m pace for the first 5km but then severe stomach cramps that I couldn't shake meant that I walked the last 10k if the run. Initially targeted this as a good training session and definitely learned a lot which I will take forward with me. Was over 6 hours in the end and 40mins longer on the run than had targeted. Onwards and upwards.....

Have to say super job by Tri an Mhi, great race and superb organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭pc11

That was one cold swim alright. I was just doing the swim for a relay team and I saw one girl in a fairly bad way after it, she was taken away to the ambulance to warm up, I hope she was ok and that was all that was needed. I could see a lot of people were taking a long time in T1, I had to help one guy get his wetsuit off due to the cold. I struggled with that myself!

I am only a modest swimmer but I've done a fair bit this winter so I hope I'm quicker than last year but I was 4 mins slower yesterday. I notice all the swim times are a good bit slower this year even though last year was blowing a serious gale, so I can only assume the course was longer this year.

My only slight gripe would be there was no food or hot drinks provided after the swim. I couldn't stay till the end so I don't know if there was food later. I was a little disappointed to have to buy tea after the swim from a vendor, especially given the temperature. If I recall, there was lots and lots of lovely food provided last year. Oh, and could events please ease off on the loud thudding music around the start/finish line, it's really not necessary.

Other than that, excellent event and fair play to Tri an Mhi. It's an excellent club, this my 4th time doing one of their events.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

From a personal point of view it was a little bit of a disappointing day. But I've covered that in my race report on my log.

As an event I thought it was brilliant and probably the best race I've done so far.

Registration on Thurs at Base2Race was glitch free. I've always wondered where the shop was so from there point of view it's got them a potential customer now.

Pre Race: Marshalls on the road just before arrival directing parking was great. Told me exactly where to park so no driving around trying to find a space.

Transition area: Plenty of room, although the carpet ran out a little before my spot. Dry area to store bags away from transition too.

Briefing: First briefing where I've heard everything the organiser is saying even when the PA system stopped working. No rush from the racers to get into the lake though :)

Swim: Freezing. But well marshalled with plenty of kayaks and motor boats on the water.

Bike: Well marshalled too with marshalls at nearly every junction. Great encouragement from them too. Would have been nice to have two water bottle stops but I carried enough anyway.

Run: Again, very well marshalled and great encouragement. Plenty of water points too.

Really friendly atmosphere to the race. Plenty of people chatting on the run as they passed me :)

A must for me next year. Must remember to register it for it first release this time!

• Advertisement

kingQuez wrote: »
    [QUOTE

Yep, that was me, sorry! If its any consolation you've just joined an exclusive club of people i've stolen a place from at the finishline with BTH :) ....its strange to discover all the boardies exist in real life too :D

You were going very strong at the end, super running kingquez

@clum, your run split was a good bit quicker. Someday I'll manage to run like that off the bike. you'll be flying when it comes to Spain.

@KingQuez Like Clum above, thats some smashing running out of you once again. When you do finally remove those stabilisers you'll be flying!!

@RacoonQueen thanks RQ, but I always want more!!!

@ceepo, the party went well, but its going to take a week to recover. Nice to meet you too.

@mcos, definitely happy with the top ten. Next time I'll do you a favour and hunt down that O'Brien fella for you!!

Some of my thoughts on the race
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78669420#post78669420

Ceepo wrote: »

@haggis must have came passed you as well, I was wearing a Carrick on Suir tri suit if thats a help,

Well done to all

@ceepo. Yep you passed me too - like a train after about 4k. I distinctly remember the Carrick on Suir suit and was trying to remember your number so I could check your run split in the results! Super running

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Ceepo

@ceepo. Yep you passed me too - like a train after about 4k. I distinctly remember the Carrick on Suir suit and was trying to remember your number so I could check your run split in the results! Super running

Thank's, the legs felt good of the bike, passed a good few on the run, i know i passed a group around the 4k mark, A mate from Waterford, think 3D, Amphibian King, dont know if you were in the group, as i dont know you, probably ran 1,24,xx as run time included t2,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭munsterbear

Any idea when entry for this will open for 2013?

Going for it as my first Half Iron.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Q7

Any idea when entry for this will open for 2013?
    Opened middle of Jan for this years event. Assume around the same time next year. Keep an eye on tri an mhi facebook page for updates. Once it opens enter quickly - it sold out after 1 week this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Q7 wrote: »
    Opened middle of Jan for this years event. Assume around the same time next year. Keep an eye on tri an mhi facebook page for updates. Once it opens enter quickly - it sold out after 1 week this year.

Guys on facebook said when the calander is out, the date will be out !

I'll be doing this as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 anfearruaaris

Hi lads / ladies

We'll be hoping to open registrations in January. We'll give a couple of weeks notice on both the facebook site and also the clubs website. The TI calendar will be out shortly with confirmation of the event date.

Cheers, Pearse (Tri an Mhi XIII Race Director)

Hi lads / ladies

We'll be hoping to open registrations in January. We'll give a couple of weeks notice on both the facebook site and also the clubs website. The TI calendar will be out shortly with confirmation of the event date.

Cheers, Pearse (Tri an Mhi XIII Race Director)

A couple of weeks wait:(;)

• Advertisement

A couple of weeks wait:(;)

And the wait is over May 18th

Advertisement