Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tri an Mhi Half Ironman - 12th May

Options
  • 26-04-2012 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭

Anyone have a Garmin file for the bike leg of this race? I’m hoping to cycle the route this weekend and the map on their website isn’t great. It’s really the section from Collinstown to Oldcastle that I need. I assume that Oldcastle to Castlepollard is along the main road?
    Going by last year’s bike times it looks like it must be a tough course.

Thanks
    EC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,779 ✭✭✭griffin100

It's not that tough of a route IIRC. Its up and down but only one big hill on each lap. The course is slightly long at 93kms I think.....and last year we had hailstones and torrential rain (and I mean torrential) on the bike so that may account for the slower times. l'd be interested in seeing a profile meself to gauge if I can do this off less than 100kms bike training :D

.......and I also think last years bike splits included T2 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Q7

A few guys in the Tri an Mhi club did one loop of the bike course last weekend http://connect.garmin.com/activity/170616156

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Q7 wrote: »
    A few guys in the Tri an Mhi club did one loop of the bike course last weekend http://connect.garmin.com/activity/170616156

Thanks Q7, thats exactly what I needed. Will give it a lash this weekend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

Q7 wrote: »

EC, on the map in the link above where the route joins the R154 should be a big sign that says "PAIN AHEAD" and then on lap two should say "MORE PAIN - DID YOU NOT LEARN THE FIRST TIME?".

I've cycled the route three times this spring and it's rained and hailstoned on me every time. I think that weather is just part of the route. Not looking forward to the race at all!

• Advertisement

Well that wasn't easy. All aspirations of doing a quick time now gone :( found it very difficult to maintain any speed as there are no real flat sections at all and that bleedin hill before Oldcastle is a heart breaker. The wind was blowing hard this morning too which didn't help. I clocked it at 94km.

2 weeks to go........ Gulp

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭mrbungle

EC1000 wrote: »
    Well that wasn't easy. All aspirations of doing a quick time now gone :( found it very difficult to maintain any speed as there are no real flat sections at all and that bleedin hill before Oldcastle is a heart breaker. The wind was blowing hard this morning too which didn't help. I clocked it at 94km.

Fack.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

I heard a lot of talk about sub 5 times tonight. I'm just hoping to do sub 6:30.

Gulp indeed :o

• Registered Users Posts: 29 haggis_mccloud

Looking forward to this now...although really hoping it is warmer next weekend.
    I haven't made it out to the lake but a couple of 15 min seaswims in last few days. These felt good while in the water but it has taken me a while to regain feeling in the hands and feet after getting out of the water. I'll definitely put on gloves and socks for the bike. Anyone any thoughts on wearing swim gloves & swim socks for the swim? HTFU I know, but I have poor circulation, I swear!

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭mrbungle

I haven't made it out to the lake but a couple of 15 min seaswims in last few days. These felt good while in the water but it has taken me a while to regain feeling in the hands and feet after getting out of the water. I'll definitely put on gloves and socks for the bike. Anyone any thoughts on wearing swim gloves & swim socks for the swim? HTFU I know, but I have poor circulation, I swear!

I wear a Neoprene hat under my race hat. Like to think that works.
    As for warm weather, mild weather forecast for late in the week though there seems to be a sneakily fresh day in there are Friday that could move into Saturday. Sure here's hoping.

• Advertisement

Registered up at Base2Race this evening. No. 101, say hello if you see me although it may be the Activ Multisport kit you see before any number!

Less than 48 hours to go now :Gulp:

Goodie bag wise (and I didn't expect one to be honest) - T-shirt isn't bad at all (Big "Tri an Mhi CXIII" on it and a couple of logos - will probably wear again) and plenty of High5 nutritional stuff and drinks bottle.

Registered too. Nice idea getting a drinks bottle full of goodies. At least there are no crappy flyers to throw out. Nice t shirt too. First time in base2race, impressive spot, once you find it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

I could be wrong but I think the swim gloves and socks are illegal for racing.

Open to correction on this (hopefully!) :)

Registered too. Nice idea getting a drinks bottle full of goodies. At least there are no crappy flyers to throw out. Nice t shirt too. First time in base2race, impressive spot, once you find it :)

No sign of any nutritional goodies when I registered. I got none as did anyone who registered at the same time as me which was early in the evening. T-shirt nice, a white version of last years with a B2R logo. First time in B2R, some expensive kit on sale there.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 haggis_mccloud

Fazz wrote: »
    I could be wrong but I think the swim gloves and socks are illegal for racing.

Open to correction on this (hopefully!) :)

Bare hands and feet it is so. Hardcore :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Good luck to all doing it.

Looking forward to my WARM bed in the morning;)

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jester1980

Good luck tomorrow folks, hope you enjoy it and give it hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 BMCTIMEMACHINE

Heard the water temp is cold very cold .. is there a min legal water temp .. ???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

might be a good idea to be so nervous that you wet yourself before the race ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

peter kern wrote: »

I usually do anyway. Its handy for loosing a drafter :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

urine is sterile , isnt it ?
    Might be a save way for the DCT tri swim to swim behind you ;-) Has to be healthier than the liffey water ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭tinydave

registered in B2R yesterday around 7 and got the high5 water bottle with the gels and drink stuff in it, number and swim hat and t-shirt, not bad for a H.I.M at that price, was talking to Michelle while registering and she told me that the water temp wasn't too bad in the lake the last few days, (easy for her im thinking, she is training for a channel swim relay).
    even managed to spend €70 blips that i dont have too! Doh! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Best of luck to all doing this tomorrow, looking forward to the reports. Also, looks like the weather may be ok(ish) :o

I was just about to past that:D

tinydave wrote: »
    registered in B2R yesterday around 7 and got the high5 water bottle with the gels and drink stuff in it, number and swim hat and t-shirt, not bad for a H.I.M at that price, was talking to Michelle while registering and she told me that the water temp wasn't too bad in the lake the last few days, (easy for her im thinking, she is training for a channel swim relay).
    even managed to spend €70 blips that i dont have too! Doh! :rolleyes:

I look forward to FB update at the end:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

urine is sterile , isnt it ?

Only until it reaches the urethra...

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Heard the water temp is cold very cold .. is there a min legal water temp .. ???
    13 degrees according to the ITU.
    http://www.triathlon.org/images/uploads/itusport_competition_rules_20120215.pdf
    The TI site directs you there for their rules.

Weather forecast for tonight into tomorrow morning for Leinster from Met Eireann:

Cold and dry overnight with clear spells. Winds will fall light allowing mist or fog to from locally. Lows of 1 to 4 Celsius with grass frost forming in some inland parts.

ffs....:eek:

griffin100 wrote: »
    Weather forecast for tonight into tomorrow morning for Leinster from Met Eireann:

Cold and dry overnight with clear spells. Winds will fall light allowing mist or fog to from locally. Lows of 1 to 4 Celsius with grass frost forming in some inland parts.

ffs....:eek:

HTFU!

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 BMCTIMEMACHINE

Oryx wrote: »
    13 degrees according to the ITU.
    http://www.triathlon.org/images/uploads/itusport_competition_rules_20120215.pdf
    The TI site directs you there for their rules.

Ohh !!! Its 12C as of yesterday 13.00 ... dont wanna be a kill joy !! Swim will be .............dangerous !!

As pre ITU guidlines that is !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisement