Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Me Against The World...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

Positives: I had a good swim and a good bike. I ran @4:09min/km @ an average HR of 160 (only uploaded the garmin data last night) which is almost 20 beats lower than I would have expected to run at. I should be easily able to maintain that effort off the bike in a HIM which will have me round the run in Collinstown in 1:27. You'd want to be fairly moving 38!!

Forget about it, you'll be a quarter of an hour ahead of me by the time I get off the bike. The only time I'll pass you is after you've rounded the turning loop and you're heading for the finish line in the opposite direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Bambaata wrote: »
    I wouldn't say that now. If all the stars align you are well capable of pulling off a win. You cant control who turns up but im sure you'll have plenty of opportunities. This comes from someone who said the very same thing. Never in my wildest dreams did i think it possible to nab 1st in a race and fortunately ive managed it twice. Both times i was slower than i am now so it just depends who turns up. One my my wins came in a time trial type race (TriAthy sprint) whereby i hadnt a notion where i was as there were about 10 waves! I just made sure i raced myself and pushed to the line, turned out i won my 0.75 seconds!! Always remember to just race yourself and what happens happens. Im pretty sure you'll get a few in the years ahead.

It'd be a bike surprise, but we forever hold out hope!
    Clum wrote: »
    Forget about it, you'll be a quarter of an hour ahead of me by the time I get off the bike. The only time I'll pass you is after you've rounded the turning loop and you're heading for the finish line in the opposite direction.

Wouldn't be so sure about that, you seem to be doing a lot of work this year.

Training has been a little ropey this week. Hit a bit of a slump early in the week, which the weather reinforced.

Monday eve I headed down to the club swim session. The main set was 10*200 on 3:30. I sat out #6,7&8. Felt tired, arms felt weak and I was sloppy in the water.

Tuesday I had intended on getting in the sea, but the small craft warning ruled that out. I've swam during a craft warning before, but this would have been a solo swim which I wasn't willing to risk. Had intended on running after the swim, but ended up stuck to the sofa for the evening instead.

Wednesday morning I was back in the pool. Plan was 5*100, 5*200, 5*100 all @ 1:45. I did my WU, and 2*100, then gave up on the repeat times and just finished the first 5 at my own pace and dropped the rest of the session. Did 2*100 back and 100breast instead, and got out after only 1300m. Arms were still feeling very weak and tired.

Wednesday evening I was close to spending another evening on the sofa, but I decided I should do something so I cycled down to the park for the transition session the club were running. Did a short 10min run as well, picking it up a couple of times to make sure there was no repeat of the pains that held me back last Sunday. Again, very little actually done, but good for the mind to get out.

Thursday. Finally got into the sea for 15min. About 500m swam. Feeling much better than Monday or Wednesdays swims, although quite short. Ran after the swim, 7.xxkm 3X:xx min. somewhere around 4:40-50 pace. HR was throwing out some ridiculous numbers and my average was allegedly 171! :eek: Stupid Garmin :mad:

Friday Morning. Back on the Turbo this morning, 60min watching the end of Invictus which we recorded on Wednesday. Built up slowly to easy and held that for 40min before a 5min cool down. Holding 33/34 kmph so tipping along nicely. :D

I was back in for a new s&c program at lunch yesterday. My arms and legs can certainly feel it this morning. Certainly won't be doing another session of these after next Tuesday, so give time to recovery for the Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Slumps are the pits....but sounds like you're on the upward spin again, so that's good. When is your next event?

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Slumps are the pits....but sounds like you're on the upward spin again, so that's good. When is your next event?

No time for the slump to last too long, I have a HIM tomorrow week. Heading down to the course tomorrow morning with a few club-mates (its about an hours drive) to bike the course, swim in the lake, and prob squeeze in a short run also. I think the idea of some company while training this weekend has helped lift me out of that little dip. Other than the club swim on Mondays its all been solo stuff for some time now.

After the race next week Michelle and myself are having our engagement party! Not too sure whether its a good idea or not, but its the only weekend that suit us really. Reckon I'll be remaining seated the whole evening!

• Advertisement

No time for the slump to last too long, I have a HIM tomorrow week. Heading down to the course tomorrow morning with a few club-mates (its about an hours drive) to bike the course, swim in the lake, and prob squeeze in a short run also. I think the idea of some company while training this weekend has helped lift me out of that little dip. Other than the club swim on Mondays its all been solo stuff for some time now.

After the race next week Michelle and myself are having our engagement party! Not too sure whether its a good idea or not, but its the only weekend that suit us really. Reckon I'll be remaining seated the whole evening!

I think you're right about having company while you train to lift your spirits and energy - what great timing for you. And super idea about having a look at your HIM course. You'll be well prepared for next weekend.

No worries about the engagement party. She's probably doing all the organizing any way, so just show up and enjoy the good times - sitting down or standing up, it's all good!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

If you race hard you should be a cheap date, a few pints and Michelle will have her way with you:)

If you race hard you should be a cheap date, a few pints and Michelle will have her way with you:)

I'm a cheap date at the best of times Fran.

Training is still going on. Quick catchup.

Friday Evening
    60min 13km run. Muscles sore all over from the S&C session on Thursday, so I did a few drill, then some strides to loosen out. Increased the pace a little in the second half, but still kept it fairly relaxed. Gradually increased it to about marathon pace. Then off for a couple of pints that evening :cool:

Saturday Morning
    Down to Collinstown to bike the route for next Saturdays HIM. Tough route. Also couldn't stay in the aero bars for any length of time as my shoulders were still sore. We did the second lap in reverse and I missed a turn meaning I did over 100k :o .
    Run off the bike. The two lads I was there with tore off at 4:00 pace. I let them go after 15min and turned for home. They turned 5min later so weren't long after me.
    Two of us then hopped in the lake. For 5min. It was freezing. Much colder than the sea on Thursday. It was hours later before my hand returned to their normal colour!! Reckon I swam 200m max.

Sunday Morning
    Long run. Ran along the canal from Croke Park to the M50 and back. Did the first half very easy close to 5:00 per km. After the turnaround I pushed it into 4:20-25 pace for 30min. Very relaxed and comfortable. After the 30min I found it difficult to get the pace back down to 5:00 again, which is a good sign. 18km in 86min or so.

Monday Morning
    Had wanted to get a decent length bike in but with an early club OW dip I had to settle for 80min on the turbo. Kept it at easy effort, 40km+ @ 32/33kmph
    10min run off the bike to make sure the new elastic laces in the Kinvaras were tight enough. Not sure whether I'll wear these or the racing flats for the HIM on Saturday so need to have both race ready. A lot will depend on the weather, and the need to wear socks (flats are too small to wear socks)
    Then down to the bull wall for an OW dip. Much colder than last Thursday, and a whole lot more choppy too. 500m covered again. Loving the new wetsuit. Can really feel how much higher my legs are in the water. Once the water temp increases a little I should be able to use those legs too!!

Tuesday Eve
    Back in the pool for the first time in a week.
    500wu
    5*100 on 1:45 in on 1:37-40
    5*200 on 3:30, in on 3:25-20
    5*100 pull on 1:45 in on 1:35
    4*50 max on 1:00, in on 38,38,40,40
    100cd
    Felt a little awkward. Swimming in the wetsuit has me spoilt. Legs felt like they were too deep in the water. My Pull generally wouldnt be as comfortably quicker as it was yesterday. I definitely worked harder for the first 5*100 than the second despite the increase in pace. Still, decent swimming, just need to convert that to fast times in the OW.

Wednesday Morning
    10k ish this morning. Kept the effort very easy, but pace was at about 4:40, and I had to work to stop myself going faster. Did 5*150m-ish progressive efforts, working up to about 3:20 pace. Just to keep that feel for the pace. First run in a new pair of runners this AM too. I'm starting to catch up on Racoon Queen for the number of runners I have :D

Wednesday Evening

Hill repeats in Howth with the club. 8*560m of work on St Fintans road, so only 14minutes of effort, and not maxed with long ~5min recoveries. Aim was for 20kTT intensity, and managed to hold times throughout, with my last rep 3 seconds faster than the first. 50km covered including the spin out and back. The later ones were tougher naturally, but happy with the effort.

Thursday Morning

Quick swim, very little volume, plenty of intensity
    Started with 500m as 25hard 75 easy. Swam about 1:45 pace for the 500 so 8:45ish total
    Then did 4*100pull on 1:45. Pushed these fairly hard without maxing out on them. In on 1:28,28,30,30
    4*25 max on 45, in on 18,18,19,19
    Then just a 200m cd.
    Short sharp session to keep things ticking over.

Thursday Evening

Gave the bike its usual pre-race rub down. Love getting on a sparkling bike for a race. :D

Friday Lunch Time

Easy 30min run with 5*150m progressive strides. These I probably did a little too hard, hitting sub 3:00 pace at one point. Hoping that I'll struggle to hold back the pace in the last 5km tomorrow as well! :cool:

Knock it out of the park tomorrow!! :D

• Advertisement

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Knock it out of the park tomorrow!! :D

Thanks DD. Thats the plan alright.

Just need to remember the sun-cream!!

Oh god...YES, the sun screen!!! I'll be pushing you along from across the pond!! As we Caps hockey fans say....UNLEASH THE FURY!!!! Unleash it, BTH....unleash it. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Good luck tomorrow - looks like the weather will be nice too!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Best of luck dude. Give em hell!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Good luck BTH, you should have Mike O'Brien as a hare to chase.. good luck with that one...

Good luck BTH, you should have Mike O'Brien as a hare to chase.. good luck with that one...

The guy that won? Yeah, I almost caught him!!!

Tri an Mhi CXIII

Build up to this race was all about water temp and weather. Thankfully the latter behaved on the day. A small bit of frost on the car (in MAY ffs) at 7am, but not a cloud in sight, and barely a breath of wind. The previous evening I had received a txt talking about the possibility of a shortened swim due to water and air temperatures. I certainly didn't want that after the stick I'd given to the Galway 69.8 "Ironmen" last year. The early morning frost didn't help those fears. Talk down at transition was more of the same. With the improvement in my swim this year I definitely wanted the full distance, although looking out on the lake at the two buoys I wasn't so sure. It looked like they were in the next county they were that far away. We then got word through from the "Boll*x" that the swim was going to be a two lap affair. That could actually work pretty well as it gave something closer to aim for. It also meant that the start was delayed, which gave the day a little longer to warm up. So after sun-creaming up the shoulders, a semi naked photo taken by Mark Lacey :mad: , wetsuit on and into the water. It was cold, but I'd been in this lake the previous week so I wasn't concerned and never worried about whether I'd be able to swim or not. Some gentle relief :D just after getting in warmed me up a little. Kept my hands in the water as much as possible to acclimatise and had decided on the larger Aquashere Vista goggles to cover as much of my face as possible.

Swim
    To my eye the swim start line seemed to be at an angle to the first buoy so I started off over towards the left as this seemed the shortest route. There was a good spread of swimmers along the line so no major issues in the first 100-200m, a little bumping but nothing to worry about. It was choppy though, and there were a few mouthfuls taken on. Got a bit of a draft along here and felt I was moving well. Across to the second buoy and I'm on my own somehow. Not sure where everyone else went, but kept going at my own pace. Got a small taste of petrol in the water from the speed boats along here which is never nice!! Around the second buoy and turning for "home" and sighting became a major issue as the sun was directly in-front. Had to use other swimmers 20-30m in front. Found another swimmer to give me a bit of a tow along here. I obviously got too close as I got an elbow in the middle of the forehead for my troubles!! Second swim lap I seemed to be swimming in no-mans land. There were a couple of swimmers ahead, but I couldn't seem to close on them. Focused on a nice long steady stroke, and regular sighting. More water taken on on the first section, thankfully no petrol on the across, and still blinding sun on the return leg. All the while swimming alone, long steady stroke. I could hear interested telling me to keep doing the right things with your stroke. Out of the water and the marshall calls 33minutes. Ouch. I was expecting much closer to 30min. Swim time was 33:59 by the time I crossed the mat and 17th :eek: fastest overall (of those that finished anyway)!! Thats unbelievable for me. Top 20 swim. Class :D

T1

My fears about the slow swim were eased immediately when I entered Transition. One of my clubmates whos feet I desperately try to hold on to on a Monday was sitting beside my bike putting on his socks. None of that nonsense for me. Long sleeve jersey on (gels and co2 already stored in the pockets), sunglasses and helmet on and go. As I'm un-racking my bike another of those I try to hold on to on a Monday enters T1. How did I beat her out of the water. I must have gone well. Then as I run out of T1 I see my swim domestique from Joey Hannan (and she also seems to be an informant for Peter Kerns!!) still putting on her helmet, so I was close to her swim wise too. Thats all really cheered me right up. 3D had 5 swimmers in the top 20 out of the water and another in 22nd. Interested methods have been completely validated!! Of the 4 ahead of me I overtook two in T1 as they put on half of their wardrobe. T1 for me 2:03 and 13th fastest.

Bike
    Flying mount out of T1 and I'm away in chase of the other two clubmates. Catch the first on about 10km, the other shortly after. I had no problems with cold on the bike. Even sockless, although I had toe covers on the bike shoes, some went for full overshoes:eek:. Early on I over took a lot of people, then a couple went flying past. The bike course is very challenging. Endless rolling hills meaning no time to settle into any kind of a rhythm, with some of the hills quite sharp and poor road surfaces for a lot of the loop to really beat your legs into submission. From half way through the first lap to half way through the second I over took no-one and no-one went past me. So I needed to focus on keeping a fairly level effort and taking on enough gels/drink. I had no system as such, just took them as regularly as I felt I could stomach. On the last 20/30 km I did come across a couple more people to overtake. My arse was really starting to scream in agony at this stage too, so I was glad to be coming to an end. I had set the Garmin to laps of 46.7km (the lap length) so I could compare loop one and two. I didn't have any data displaying during the ride (had it on the menu screen). 36seconds slower for lap two which is remarkably consistent :cool:. In off the bike in 2:50:32 for 14th fastest split and an average speed bang on 33kmph

T2

This was a much quieter place than T1 had been. I had a photographer in my face snapping away the whole time which was a little distracting. Helmet and jersey off shoes on and go. 1:09 and 24th fastest.

Run

The opening 5km of the run have some drags up and down, and a net elevation loss overall, but nothing too steep up or down. I settled into a decent comfortable pace and was moving quite nicely. A little faster than I had intended but not over board. I covered the first 5km in 20:23 so a decent clip. Then the agony arrived. My quads had been suffering late on in the bike, and now were starting to scream at me. Worse, the course was about to get much more challenging. Constant short sharp ups and downs. 5-10km I covered in 21:42, but included here is a 3:59 10th km all downhill. At 10/10.5km I had my first glimpse of a club mate in well over 2.5 hours as Andy Bolt (one of those putting on the winter clothes in T1) thundered past me on his way to the third fastest run split of the day. I was really struggling at this point. My legs were screaming at me as any hint of an incline, and worse still, I had to repeat the previous 5km again for another loop. 10-15km took an agonising 22:15. I had used a Piranha guy to pace off for about a mile during this, knowing that he was a lap down, but knowing there were other 3D heads no-doubt closing me down. A mile was all I could manage with him as he tore away up one of the hills. I even struggled on the downhill as Clum came past me here, although a lap down. The last 5km were on the same relatively flat (in comparison to what had gone before) as the first 5. This time was a different story as I was really struggling. Quads all but given up. Right shoulder :confused: screaming. Back sore. Calves catching up on the others very quickly. I even, briefly, to my shame, walked. For about 20m. The small out and back just before the turn for the last km was mental torture. I was really struggling. KM 16/17/18/19 were 4:49/46/57/40. After the turnaround at 19km I had a shallow decline, and a right kick up the arse as I could see 4/5 guys not far behind and moving much better than I was. Worse still, one of them was a club-mate. And not just any club mate but the club mate who had burned me in the last km in Kenmare in September. Not this time pal. Figured I had 30seconds+ on the closest of those so knew if i ran close to 4:00 pace they'd have a hard job catching me in 1/2km. KM 20 went in 4:20, then I saw the 500m to go sign. Course was about 300/400m short, but I sure as hell wasn't going to complain now!! Last 700m i covered @4:01 pace just in case although I couldn't see anyone closing behind me. 1:30:36 for 20th fastest run at an average of 4:22 per km. the 4th 5km took me 23:30.

Review
    I struggled, badly, on those short but continuous steep hills. Long shallow drags and I'm fine. Long steep hills on the bike (Kenmare, BOTE) and I have the weight (or lack there of) to get up quicker than most. But those short rolling hills on the bike probably took a little too much out of me and on the run I just didn't have any strength to get over them. I had the same problem in Kenmare on the hills on the run, especially towards the end. I've said it before and I'll say it again, running on the streest of Dublin makes you soft. Its far too flat and you get found out in these races. Its something I'll need to address, although thankfully with Athy, Hook or by Crook and Athlone as my June race program then this shouldn't cause any problems in the short term.

However, 9th place in that race is certainly a very satisfying result. If i'd run 3/4 minutes faster (which is the max I believe I'm currently capable of off the bike), then it would have only gained me one place. HIM is not my target distance for this or next year and all my training is targeted towards the Oly distance so with that in mind I should probably have expected to struggle on Saturday and I've got to be very happy with the result.

Had a brief chat with KingQuez as he queued for a rub down, bumped into Ceepo & RedB as I got changed, gave Couerdelion a wave on the run course and as mentioned had a quick word with Clum as he cruised past on the run course also. Haggis McCloud also performed well, and thanfully no punctures this time, while is fiancé, who is becoming very familiar with podium spots herself, gave great support on the day.

Quick word of thanks to the Marshalls, Race Director, Officials and everyone else involved on the day. Fantastic organisation and support, and its also great to see the Race Director making late changes to the course for safety reasons but still being able to give everyone the race distance (ish) that they had come to complete.

Finally, we had my engagement party afterwards on Saturday night. 23 hours after getting up for the race I finally got the last guests out of the house (my parents and her parents!!!). I'm still shattered. Very glad I'm not racing for 3 weeks!!

Edit: Can't believe I forgot to congratulate the 3D ladies once again putting us men to shame with a clean sweep on the podium spots. Fantastic result.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 haggis_mccloud

Super report BTH. Long day for you! Congrats on great result

Awesome day for you. Serious congratulations!!!!

Thanks guys

Sunday
    Sunday was cake day. Thats all...

Monday
    Club swim, but as at least half of those there did the HIM it wasn't anything too hard. 800 wu including some drills, then 16*50 in blocks of 4 off on 60,55,50,45. Made all the last set, ish. Did then pull as the calves are very tight despite a good stretch in the office before heading over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Congrats dude. Anyone would think you were going to run a 1:5x time the way ou were describing it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Wow dude an awesome result and epic report, love it! Well done, savage swim and well done on the consistent split positions, thats what it's about - being consistent across all three. Why didn't you have numbers on the bike showing? Especially HR? Race season has well and truely begun, great isn't it? Hope to see you in Athy-same wave I assume :cool:

pgibbo wrote: »
    Congrats dude. Anyone would think you were going to run a 1:5x time the way ou were describing it! :D

It felt like thats all I'd be able to at times!
    Wow dude an awesome result and epic report, love it! Well done, savage swim and well done on the consistent split positions, thats what it's about - being consistent across all three. Why didn't you have numbers on the bike showing? Especially HR? Race season has well and truely begun, great isn't it? Hope to see you in Athy-same wave I assume :cool:

Cheers guys. One of these days I'm going to get all three right on the one day. When we'll have a bit of fun.

Didn't bother having anything showing on the watch as I know it'd only distract me. And my HR data has been complete nonsense lately. Avg for the bike course on Saturday was 112 apparently, with a max of 186. Run avg was 132. As I said, nonsense, so it would only annoy me if I was looking at it. I believe in biking by feel anyway. I do like to keep an eye on my pace running though.

Tuesday
    Easy 35min run, just trying to shake out the muscles from Saturday. Did this at lunchtime and I was hobbling worse in the afternoon but feeling a bit better today.

After work headed to the pool. 500m wu, and without any other plan I adapted Mondays 16*50 to 16*100 in blocks of 4 on 2:00, 1:55, 1:50, 1:45. Still just trying to loosened out, so swimming handy enough for the first 12, on about 1:38-40 pace, last 4 pushed a little more, on 1:33ish pace. I am finding swimming in the pool a little awkward lately, as with all the open water, and the frozen feet that come with it, I'm becoming used to kicking less (my left calf kept cramping when kicking on Saturday), so my feet sink a little more. Wasn't as big an issue on Monday as I did most of the session Pull. Not back in the pool until Friday now so should be able for a decent bit of work then.

Wednesday
    Club bike session this eve, reps on howth. Reps were 880m per my garmin.

4 reps in a middling hard gear (think i was on 42*17) seated, no rocking. Avg cadence was 76 for these
    3 reps in easier gear (42*21) all out of saddle. Cadence averaged 90.

Less than 17minutes work in all. Still, spin out and back, and recoveries, almost 50km covered.

Liking these shorter sessions of late. Total volume will be well down for the week.

However, a spicy session for tonights run. 20*200m @3:30 pace (apparently this will be my 5km pace), off on 1min. So 42seconds on, 18sec off. For 20 minutes. Nice!!

Thursday Eve

14.5km run in 65 min as
    30min wu
    20*200 repeating on 1min targeting 3:30 pace.
    paces were
    3:12 :o /3:24/3:11 :o/ 3:26/
    3:18/3:27/3:26/3:31/
    3:24/3:26/3:23/3:31/
    3:20/3:32/3:28/3:28/
    3:26/3:28/3:26/3:25
    15min Cool down.

Session actually went pretty well, although I got a few dodgy looks running up and down and up and down the quays in town (somewhere flat and straight)!! HR and effort levels came down fairly quickly after although I could feel it in the legs, still held 4:45 pace quite easily for the cd.

Contemplating doing the leg it for your liver 5miler next Wednesday. Would be hoping to go under 28:30 for it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

hello ? since my seasons practically over Id like to see some training and racing details ? and I know you havent just taken a week off .... at least Im hoping you haven't and still flying.

interested wrote: »
    hello ? since my seasons practically over Id like to see some training and racing details ? and I know you havent just taken a week off .... at least Im hoping you haven't and still flying.

Unfortunately you're not too far off with that.

I'll start where we left off...

Friday 18th

Up early for a swim session. 800m wu, then 6*100 pull on 1:45, pushed these to come in on 1:32. Then 300 hard on 5:10, 8*100 on 1:50 race pace 100 easy. 300 was slower than previous efforts @4:37. Race pace efforts on 1:34. 200cd. Not a bad session and 2800m with 1700m of hard work. Nice

Saturday 19th

Bike spin. Joined the swords 8:30 group for this so I was on the road shortly after 7:30. 2*10min @ 70rpm before joining the group. Very windy and wintery out which made the north bound leg of the spin fairly hard work. 85km @ 29.7kmph

Did a quick 10min off the bike. 4:16pace quite comfortable.

Sunday 20th

Long run. Had to be out early again as I needed to be back early for the OW session. Started with an easy 10min wu, the 12*80m hills @5k intensity, then into a total 90min easy. Actually started to really struggle later on in the run and cut it short at 85min. 16.5km.

Then we had a handicapped OW "race". Course turned out to be about 5-600m long despite Interested insisting it was 750m. 9:45 swim time for me which included wetsuit removal, loosing only 20 seconds to 3Ds fastest man, although he was hungover and coming directly from Coppers!! We then had a BBQ on the bull wall which was a great success, and I somehow managed to get a little burnt, despite the extensive cloud cover!

Monday 21st

Club swim session. With our beloved swim dictator absent, replaced by a printed & laminated A4 page (which had far more charisma), this session lacked the usual motivational speech, but that was made up for by the volume of work left for us. A lane imbalance (4v7) meant I dropped down a lane to lead out. 100wu then 200 as 50 catchup 50 ripple 50 catchup 50 ripple. Main set was 4*200 on 3:35, 4*200 on 3:30, 4*200 on 3:25 (would have bee 3:25/20/15 in my usual lane) with an extra 90 second between sets. As I had easier repeat times than I would have in my usual lane I pushed the pace a little to make sure I was working. Came in on 3:12-14 for the first 8. The last set I had to break into 2 sets of 2 as everyone else in the lane was struggling to make the times and I was catching them. Brought these all in on 3:10. 100easy followed by 4*50 max on 90seconds. Could only hold 42seconds on these. Nice 3k set!

Tuesday 22nd

Early run. Easy 40min with 5*90m progressive strides. Focusing throughout on a nice high cadence. 8.4km @ 5:03 pace.

Wednesday Thursday Friday

Glorious sunshine and I could do nothing. Knocked back with some kind of bug. Really bad stomach "rumblings". Apparently the bug is fairly widespread at the minute with most people suffering from vomiting and diarrhoea so it could have been much worse. Really affected my appetite too.

Saturday 26th

Had a mates wedding on Saturday and I wasnt fully recovered but I had to get out and do something. Did a 40min run, covering 8.something k @4:44 pace. I felt crap, sluggish, awkward, and it was roasting out, even at 9am. No surprise I suppose.

Sunday 27th

Write off!! :D

Monday 28th

Very tired after the weekend, still not 100% and not eating as I normally would, and having not swam in a week I was reluctant to head along to the club swim session fearing a complete collapse in form. Contemplated doing my own swim and then doing the club set later in the week, but I sucked it up and headed along. Again, our dear leader was absent, having just completed a 10km swim with a broken foot at sub 1:20/100 pace :eek: (or so I'm led to believe, I don't seen his name in the results :confused:). Back in my usual lane. 400m progressive WU, then 6*(5*50 on 70sec descending). Aim was to hit 40sec on the last and descending from 48-50. Never actually got as slow as the 50, and managed to hit the 40 each time. These went fairly well actually, although the bit of a draft helped as well. 50 easy then into 4*100 on 2:00 at race pace. I moved up a place in the lane for these and hit 1:30 for each one :D. I doubt that'll be my race pace, but down stream in Athy I should be damn close!! So I was very happy with the set, especially considering I felt clumsy early on. grew into it and by the end I was very glad I went! 2350m so much shorter than last weeks set, but some faster swimming.

Athy??

So my first swim in a week went much better than I expected. I'm pretty confident I can just hop on the bike and pull out a fairly good bike split. While I haven't trained on the bike in 9 days now I do have my epic 7km daily round trip :o to work on the tank so at least I'm turning a pedal. How my run holds up this weekend will be the only concern. I'll have to build into each run leg gradually. But still up for the two races anyway. Probably won't get as much out of them as I would have hoped for, but we'll still give them a fair lash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

glad to hear you havent been slacking.

Despite the organisers best efforts to wreck it - the swim venue and weather was savage. My official time was 2.24.52 - but mine and many more havent been uploaded to the provisional results yet. The time would have gotten me 6th place last year, but think its around 22nd or so.

Ive some serious cuts/scars to illustrate how f*cking useless body glide is after a while. ;)

• Advertisement

interested wrote: »
    glad to hear you havent been slacking.

Despite the organisers best efforts to wreck it - the swim venue and weather was savage. My official time was 2.24.52 - but mine and many more havent been uploaded to the provisional results yet. The time would have gotten me 6th place last year, but think its around 22nd or so.

Ive some serious cuts/scars to illustrate how f*cking useless body glide is after a while. ;)

Maybe you should have baby oiled yourself up properly like TinTin.

So you swam at my 100m PB for almost 2.5 hours. :eek: With a broken foot? :eek::eek: Seriously impressive

Advertisement