Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Mrs Noc

I ran the 1/2 marathon in Olyegate on Sunday. It was so different to running in London. I finished it in 2 hours 24 minutes, slower than I'd have liked. Mt pb is 1 hour 56 minutes. I made the obvious mistake of going off too quickly. I want to run the marathon in under 5 hours. I am following the HH1 plan. Any ideas of how to increase my speed?

My blisters are getting worse. I'm trying the usual remedies but now have a large blister that has blood in it which I've covered with a blister plaster. I know I shouldn't burst it but am tempted. What recommendations do you have for blisters?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,514 ✭✭✭Trampas

17 lsr done this morning around the course.

2 hours 51 mins and was grand.

Didn't really need a gel either but took one around 22kms.

Didn't find the hills to bad on the course compared to other hills I have ran.

I can relax and enjoy the weekend. Lansdowne tomorrow and croker on Sunday and back on the runners early next week for the longest week of the plan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Did my 17Mile LSR this morning (one bottle of 600ml water & one Gell on board). Baldoyle (via sutton) down to the East Link/O2 and back. Felt really good (got a good calf massage yesterday). At around Mile 13 I took the Gel & it defo gave me some sort of boost & the last few miles were tough but didn't feel the need to stop so wasn't too tough. Did it at 9:46 pace so was delighted, best run for me so far by a mile.. I used to have to take walk breaks. Glad it's done now for the weekend!
    Makes a big difference when the sun is not beaming down!
    Good luck to you all doing your LSR's this weekend.. take your time & remember how far you have come (no pun intended)!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭overpronator

Mrs Noc wrote: »
    I ran the 1/2 marathon in Olyegate on Sunday. It was so different to running in London. I finished it in 2 hours 24 minutes, slower than I'd have liked. Mt pb is 1 hour 56 minutes. I made the obvious mistake of going off too quickly. I want to run the marathon in under 5 hours. I am following the HH1 plan. Any ideas of how to increase my speed?

My blisters are getting worse. I'm trying the usual remedies but now have a large blister that has blood in it which I've covered with a blister plaster. I know I shouldn't burst it but am tempted. What recommendations do you have for blisters?

Have you tried injinji socks? Great for blisters aparently http://www.amazon.co.uk/Injinji-Performance-Socks-Medium-Black/dp/B000LRHN5M/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1346420894&sr=8-3

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Mrs Noc

I'll give them a go. Also I've found YoungAnne's advice and information on blisters. Thanks very much both. I'm going to burst the big one!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

Anyone else really really tired? Only to be expected I suppose but it's hard to keep up with everyday stuff, work and kids feeling wrecked. Two more months worth of exhaustion. I go to bed early as it is, anyone any tips for the tiredness!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Deedee2012 wrote: »
    Anyone else really really tired? Only to be expected I suppose but it's hard to keep up with everyday stuff, work and kids feeling wrecked. Two more months worth of exhaustion. I go to bed early as it is, anyone any tips for the tiredness!
    I'm the same Deedee, I just feel wrecked today. Haven't been getting a huge amount of sleep and I've had 3 long runs in 11 days so feeling it a bit now. Have to be up at 2am to get to the airport tomorrow so that's not going to help! I planned to do a 4 mile recovery tonight after my 17 lsr last night, but I think I am going to skip it. I don't think a missed recovery run will hurt at this stage and might mean I won't be a total zombie heading on my hols tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Power naps....at any time of the day :D

ncmc wrote: »
    I'm the same Deedee, I just feel wrecked today. Haven't been getting a huge amount of sleep and I've had 3 long runs in 11 days so feeling it a bit now. Have to be up at 2am to get to the airport tomorrow so that's not going to help! I planned to do a 4 mile recovery tonight after my 17 lsr last night, but I think I am going to skip it. I don't think a missed recovery run will hurt at this stage and might mean I won't be a total zombie heading on my hols tomorrow!
    I would actually do your recovery run. You'll feel way better for it. Prob not what you want to hear though :p

Mrs Noc wrote: »

I think the speed will look after itself. Miles in your legs are more important....thats the premise I'm working on anyway :D

• Advertisement

I would actually do your recovery run. You'll feel way better for it. Prob not what you want to hear though :p

D'oh! I was afraid someone would say that :mad::mad::mad:

You're probably right, the fresh air would probably do me good if nothing else and help me sleep!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Donal112

Yep I'm the same. Knackered. Not so much after any specific runs, but just generally tired!! Though I am terrible at going to bed early, never seem to get to bed before 11.30pm. Also have 2 kids, 18 months & 3 months, the older of who has never been a good sleeper. Although in the last few weeks she has started to finally go the whole night through or at least from midnight to six am thank god - up until recently she could be up anywhere from 2 - 5 times a night!!

My only tip is probably not the best one - I drink a lot of coffee :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

+1 for the tiredness

It's kind of comforting to hear everyone else having the same food, hunger tiredness issues. Not that I'd wish it on you of course :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

+1 to this, you'll feel better after and your legs will thank you for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

Power naps....at any time of the day :D

I'd second that! Mid week usually get in from work around 5.30pm, have a banana / Belvita and drink pint of water then snooze for half an hr before heading out for a run and makes a big difference. Bit more difficult for you guys with kids though i'd imagine:(

Bought some wellwoman sports specific supplements recently aswell - supposed to be good for energy & keeping immune system high. Not quite sure yet if making a difference... think maybe I just got caught up in the excitement of being classed as someone 'training to excel in sports and fitness'..;)

FiiFii wrote: »
    I'd second that! Mid week usually get in from work around 5.30pm, have a banana / Belvita and drink pint of water then snooze for half an hr before heading out for a run and makes a big difference. Bit more difficult for you guys with kids though i'd imagine:(

Bought some wellwoman sports specific supplements recently aswell - supposed to be good for energy & keeping immune system high. Not quite sure yet if making a difference... think maybe I just got caught up in the excitement of being classed as someone 'training to excel in sports and fitness'..;)
    Oooh that sounds good.....can anyone be that 'someone' or do you specifically have to be a purchaser of wellwoman???

Well that's me done for the week. 4 miles recovery done (reluctantly!) 33 miles done for the week! I'm off on my hols for a fortnight, but I'll try and keep up with the sheet. Best of luck to everyone with the LSR tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Well that's me done for the week. 4 miles recovery done (reluctantly!) 33 miles done for the week! I'm off on my hols for a fortnight, but I'll try and keep up with the sheet. Best of luck to everyone with the LSR tomorrow!

NCMC, Wise decision to do the 4m recovery...you'll enjoy the hols all the more...relax and enjoy and you 'll come back all the more ready for the rest of the program!:D Happy Hols!!

YOU GO GURL!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

Oooh that sounds good.....can anyone be that 'someone' or do you specifically have to be a purchaser of wellwoman???

Well I'm thinking training for a marathon might just put you in that category but then I doubt Wellwoman's sales would be as good so they might have a patent pending.....:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭darabbit

I've a question on gels, tried one out last night and soon after taking it I got a bit of a stomach cramp, soon after I thought I might need the loo, I didn't but that kind of discomfort stayed with me. Does that sound like something a gel would cause? I've heard people mention them not agreeing with them. Possibly just a coincidence and I would have felt like that anyway, would like to iron out these problems before the big day!
    I had the same problem when I first started trying gels. I now use hi 5 ISO gels. They is no need to take water with them and the citrus ones actually don't taste too bad. They are slightly. Other than the other gels but you get used to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Don't know about the others but we've put the high5 gels into the bottle of water - so you take your gel as you sip your water. We found it much easier on the stomach too. Not sure it'll work for everyone but it did for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,439 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Am I the only one who finds it frustrating that half of us are talking in miles, the other half (me included) in kilometers? It makes for unnecessary calibration, calculation, translation, frustration.

The official measuring system in Ireland has been metric for a long time now (my kids have no idea about miles, pounds, stones, pints, etc.). For older people, we sometimes need a push (for me, it was the simple observation that measuring small things in millimeters was easier than sixteenths of an inch. Easier to say too.

I think it would be a good idea for this thread in the future to specify one measure only (I would suggest that it be kilometers, not because it's my preferred unit, but because, well, we don't have road signs in miles anymore for a start).

Before ye come down on me like a ton of bricks, I'm over 50, so it's not like I grew up with one system and can't think in another.

Let's do next year's spreadsheet in kilometers only! Please! :D

From facebook: Due to circumstances beyond our control we have to cancel this years edition of the Kilkenny Half Marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

murphd77 wrote: »
    Am I the only one who finds it frustrating that half of us are talking in miles, the other half (me included) in kilometers? It makes for unnecessary calibration, calculation, translation, frustration.

The official measuring system in Ireland has been metric for a long time now (my kids have no idea about miles, pounds, stones, pints, etc.). For older people, we sometimes need a push (for me, it was the simple observation that measuring small things in millimeters was more easier than sixteenths of an inch. Easier to say too.

I think it would be a good idea for this thread in the future to specify one measure only (I would suggest that it be kilometers, not because it's my preferred unit, but because, well, we don't have road signs in miles anymore for a start).

Before ye come down on me like a ton of bricks, I'm over 50, so it's not like I grew up with one system and can't think in another.

Let's do next year's spreadsheet in kilometers only! Please! :D

I see where you're coming from but it's not going to happen.

I'm a kilometre man myself. Mainly because I like split feedback from my iPhone app or gps watch sooner / more regular. All my pacing is done in kilometres and miles pacing posted here requires some mathematical gymnastics to compare.

But and a big but is the marathon in Ireland and the UK is traditionally built and measured in miles. The distance markers in the race are in miles. If anything the kilometre brigade should be adapting to and using miles on thread and in training.

The sheet allows input and shows results in both formats. For me that's a happy compromise that makes it usable by everyone.

From facebook: Due to circumstances beyond our control we have to cancel this years edition of the Kilkenny Half Marathon.

Nice flat half marathon in Athlone day before this, i'm running hopefully if you want a pacer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Thanks for the update career_move. That's a disaster seeing as im only about 2 mins from the start line!!

Ah well, looks like i'll be joining you in athlone so tang1!

blockic wrote: »
    Thanks for the update career_move. That's a disaster seeing as im only about 2 mins from the start line!!

Ah well, looks like i'll be joining you in athlone so tang1!

Good stuff blockic, check out Athlone Half Marathon Facebook page, loads of info on there. Even get a free beer when you finish, non-alcoholic though!! Anybody else want to join us, be nice to put faces on names before DCM.

Hi-ho, Hi-ho, its off to Athlone we go :D

• Advertisement

Hi-ho, Hi-ho, its off to Athlone we go :D

Thats 3 of us, anymore takers??

Advertisement