Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the stress of been fat!!!!

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭Medicine333

Yes you are right, you cant be overweight or obese and healthy, certainly not with people like you around!! :(

That's the type of nonsensical argument you've been spouting out on this thread.

This is the recipe for a healthy weight:

Good, nutritious food with a well-balanced diet and exercise.

It is so simple.

Stop blaming people for being overweight or obese. People who are unhealthy in this way need to accept responsibility and stop making excuses like you're doing.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Yes you are right, you cant be overweight or obese and healthy, certainly not with people like you around!! :(
    What do you even mean by that? Someone elses opinion doesn't affect your health. And please don't cite prejudice against you because of your weight. We don't even know your weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

Being fat should be stressful, it's bad for you, costs more in taxpayer funded healthcare and impinges on others space on public transport.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

There are no judgmental attitudes here, only common sense.

You said being overweight is healthy and even healthier than being, paradoxically, a healthy weight.

Frighteningly, whatsthedeal said being obese encompasses no health risks.

Misinformation is a dangerous thing, and that's one thing ye are spreading around this thread.

It is never healthy to be overweight or obese.

So it's not possible to be a size 14 and be healthy is that what your saying?

I'm saying the risks of being slightly overweight (BMI <27) are statistically not that high, in fact according to your paper (you know the one you didn't read), you have more risk of dying from being BMI 21 than BMI 26 when you are over 50. You keep ignoring this fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

SBWife wrote: »
    Being fat should be stressful, it's bad for you, costs more in taxpayer funded healthcare and impinges on others space on public transport.

How much more is it costing the taxpayer?

• Advertisement

Being overweight today not only signals increased risk of medical problems but also exposes people to serious psychosocial problems due mainly to widespread prejudice against fat people. Prejudice against obese people seems to border on the socially acceptable in Ireland. It crops up consistently in surveys covering groups such as employers, teachers, medical and healthcare personnel, and the media. It occurs among adolescents and children, even very young children.

Because obesity is associated with premature death, excessive morbidity and serious psychosocial problems the damage it causes to the welfare of citizens is extremely serious and for this reason government intervention is necessary and warranted. In economic terms, a figure of approximately €30million has been estimated for in-patient costs alone in 2003 for a number of Irish hospitals. This year about 2,000 premature deaths in Ireland will be attributed to obesity and the numbers are growing relentlessly. Diseases which proportionally more obese people suffer from than the general population include hypertension, type 2 diabetes, angina, heart attack and osteoarthritis. There are indirect costs also such as days lost to the workplace due to illness arising from obesity and output foregone as a result of premature death. Using the accepted EU environmental cost benefit method, these deaths alone may be costing the state as much as €4bn per year.

From the National Taskforce on Obesity Report published in 2005.

So it's not possible to be a size 14 and be healthy is that what your saying?

I'm saying the risks of being slightly overweight (BMI <27) are statistically not that high, in fact according to your paper (you know the one you didn't read), you have more risk of dying from being BMI 21 than BMI 26 when you are over 50. You keep ignoring this fact.

No. Yet another inaccurate inference to try to make your dwindling argument not seem so pathetic. A size 14 on a 6 foot woman, for example, does that make her overweight? Unlikely. We're talking BMI here.

I did read that article. I posted an article from Harvard, you posted an unlabelled graph from a blogspot. The article stated that you are more at risk when you are overweight or obese than if you're a healthy weight.

Like I have said so many times, it is this sort of attitude where being overweight/obese is seen as not so bad in these people's eyes that they fail to do anything about it, that is responsible for the crisis our country is in right now with regards to obesity.

It is this 'Ah, shure it'll be grand, even if I'm overweight there's only a slight risk to my health' outlook, and people like you who haven't the first clue what they're talking about, that is contributing to this mess.

GummyPanda, the unhealthy weight of a huge portion of people in Ireland is costing the government an estimated €3 bn annually. Actually, it's costing us €3 bn annually. The extra costs are incurred from dealing with heart disease, heart attacks, diabetes, sleep apnoea and so so many other illnesses.

This thread has dragged on and on, with some people even stating that being overweight 'ain't bad for your health', and another saying that obesity is only a 'small factor' in conditions like sleep apnoea and diabetes.

It is time some people woke up to the facts and accept that being overweight or obese is harmful, physically and psychologically, and is costing Ireland billions annually.

Our country is a mere 10 years behind America in terms of its obesity crisis.

We do not need excuses, or the problem will deteriorate further. Action and acceptance of responsibility from those who are overweight/obese to change their lifestyles is the only way forward.

No. Yet another inaccurate inference to try to make your dwindling argument not seem so pathetic. A size 14 on a 6 foot woman, for example, does that make her overweight? Unlikely. We're talking BMI here.

How many 6ft women do you know? My question was, and I don't think it should be too difficult to answer, it's a pretty direct question; Are all women who fall within 1 standard definition of mean height, about 5'3" to 5'9" (if you want specifics) unhealthy?

I did read that article. I posted an article from Harvard, you posted an unlabelled graph from a blogspot. The article stated that you are more at risk when you are overweight or obese than if you're a healthy weight.

You read an article, you didn't actually read the paper that the article is based on. You did not read the primary source which actually contradicts your point. Why do you keep evading the point that the paper that article references states clearly people of BMI 21 have a higher risk of dying than BMI of people with a BMI of even 29. You say you have done lots of research but considering that you don't even know the difference between an article and the actual paper leads me to believe you don't know what research actually means.

How many 6ft women do you know? My question was, and I don't think it should be too difficult to answer, it's a pretty direct question; Are all women who fall within 1 standard definition of mean height, about 5'3" to 5'9" (if you want specifics) unhealthy?

You read an article, you didn't actually read the paper that the article is based on. You did not read the primary source which actually contradicts your point. Why do you keep evading the point that the paper that article references states clearly people of BMI 21 have a higher risk of dying than BMI of people with a BMI of even 29. You say you have done lots of research but considering that you don't even know the difference between an article and the actual paper leads me to believe you don't know what research actually means.

I asked you to quote that and you thus far have not.

Also, if you are over the recommended weight for your height and build, you are overweight/obese and that is not healthy.

Again, I quoted from a Harvard source, while you embarrassingly quoted an unlabelled graph and tried to tell me it was saying the being overweight is healthier than being a healthy weight!

I cannot believe that a supposed expert on fitness that you claim to be, is saying that being overweight is healthy.

If you don't back up your points, I am not going to even bother answering you because so far you have given out inaccurate information which is condoning unhealthy weights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

We have to accept personally that healthy bodies vary but its difficult to push for acceptance of underweight or overweight bodies in a general way.

So as an individual I have accepted that it is stressful but the answer is to find healthy ways to cope with that and you might as well give up now on trying to change others who get angry at the state of your body we all get into ruts, and yes it is frustrating last summer I was 30 pounds into the obese category and now I'm 3 pounds away from being overweight its hard because after so long of looking after my body I'm still obese (was 16-18 now 14-16, but the national average :/) and it would be very easy to thread water and say oh I'm healthy and happy being big but I'm not that would be giving up, its tricky as the reasons you became fat keep creeping back in cycles. I accept that my value and happiness does not depend on my weight but because I value myself I have learned a lot about my body and nutrition, if my hard work was based on how I look in clothes and how others treat me I would say I look great its fine to be bigger but when I become more observant about how my body feels and is doing its not okay, weak skin, veins, marks.. when I can't lift 27 pounds I'm not sure how I carried it before but acceptance without a plan to move forward is dangerous.

I accept I'm bigger but I'm working on it, I accept that I can come across as rude if I'm very sky I am working on it etc. etc.

I know I've mentioned some numbers but I am not as concerned with weight as I am with what I'm eating and finding more ways to encorporate exercise into the week, doing that properly I should be a healthy weight next year, yes two years of hard work thats all it takes, accepting yourself in the process is good, accepting what you were is good but I feel it always needs that but..

I asked you to quote that and you thus far have not.

Also, if you are over the recommended weight for your height and build, you are overweight/obese and that is not healthy.

Again, I quoted from a Harvard source, while you embarrassingly quoted an unlabelled graph and tried to tell me it was saying the being overweight is healthier than being a healthy weight!

I cannot believe that a supposed expert on fitness that you claim to be, is saying that being overweight is healthy.

If you don't back up your points, I am not going to even bother answering you because so far you have given out inaccurate information which is condoning unhealthy weights.

Haha! You're still calling the article on a paper a source! I'm going to help you out since you seem to have a problem telling the difference. Here's your paper:

http://archinte.ama-assn.org/cgi/reprint/158/22/2433.pdf

Now go read it.

Check post #43 I already posted a paper, but I'm used to you not reading things at this stage. Here's the paper where mine comes from:

http://paa2008.princeton.edu/download.aspx?submissionId=81753

One last time I will ask you the direct question whether all women ranging from height 5'3" to 5'9" and size 14 are unhealthy?

saa wrote: »
    We have to accept personally that healthy bodies vary but its difficult to push for acceptance of underweight or overweight bodies in a general way.

So as an individual I have accepted that it is stressful but the answer is to find healthy ways to cope with that and you might as well give up now on trying to change others who get angry at the state of your body we all get into ruts, and yes it is frustrating last summer I was 30 pounds into the obese category and now I'm 3 pounds away from being overweight its hard because after so long of looking after my body I'm still obese (was 16-18 now 14-16, but the national average :/) and it would be very easy to thread water and say oh I'm healthy and happy being big but I'm not that would be giving up, its tricky as the reasons you became fat keep creeping back in cycles. I accept that my value and happiness does not depend on my weight but because I value myself I have learned a lot about my body and nutrition, if my hard work was based on how I look in clothes and how others treat me I would say I look great its fine to be bigger but when I become more observant about how my body feels and is doing its not okay, weak skin, veins, marks.. when I can't lift 27 pounds I'm not sure how I carried it before but acceptance without a plan to move forward is dangerous.

I accept I'm bigger but I'm working on it, I accept that I can come across as rude if I'm very sky I am working on it etc. etc.

I know I've mentioned some numbers but I am not as concerned with weight as I am with what I'm eating and finding more ways to encorporate exercise into the week, doing that properly I should be a healthy weight next year, yes two years of hard work thats all it takes, accepting yourself in the process is good, accepting what you were is good but I feel it always needs that but..

I wish you the very best of luck in your continuing weight loss:) And fair play to you for taking the initiative and doing something about it.

Haha! You're still calling the article on a paper a source! I'm going to help you out since you seem to have a problem telling the difference. Here's your paper:

http://archinte.ama-assn.org/cgi/reprint/158/22/2433.pdf

Now go read it.

Check post #43 I already posted a paper, but I'm used to you not reading things at this stage. Here's the paper where mine comes from:

http://paa2008.princeton.edu/download.aspx?submissionId=81753

One last time I will ask you the direct question whether all women ranging from height 5'3" to 5'9" and size 14 are unhealthy?

Perhaps at the very top end of that range large framed women wouldn't have higher than average risk factors for weight related illnesses but at the lower height end continued good health (provided they are in fact healthy) would be at risk.

Advertisement