Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish WWF Tours in the 90s/00s

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

Charisteas wrote: »
    WWE (Raw) @ Dublin, Ireland - The O2 - November 4, 2009 (10,000)
    Jack Swagger won a battle royal by last eliminating Mark Henry; stipulations stated the winner would earn a WWE World Title shot later in the show; other participants included Sheamus, Evan Bourne, WWE US Champion Mike Mizanin, MVP, Chris Masters, Randy Orton, Kofi Kingston, Chavo Guerrero Jr., Ted Dibiase Jr., and Cody Rhodes
    Hornswoggle pinned Chavo Guerrero Jr.; stipulations stated Guerrero had to wrestle the match on his knees
    Sheamus pinned Evan Bourne
    WWE US Champion Mike Mizanin pinned MVP with the Skull Crushing Finale
    WWE Divas Champion Melina defetaed Alicia Fox
    Mark Henry pinned Chris Masters with the powerslam
    Randy Orton pinned Kofi Kingston with the RKO
    Triple H & Shawn Michaels defeated Ted Dibiase Jr. & Cody Rhodes when Triple H pinned Dibiase with the Pedigree as Michaels pinned Rhodes with the superkick
    WWE World Champion John Cena pinned Jack Swagger with the FU

My First WWE Show, great to see DX In the flesh !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭ciano316

RosyLily wrote: »
    My first ever WWF/E show! Aw, memories!:) I was about 6 or 7 rows from the front. Some idiot ahead of me had thick, curly hair; couldn't see around her when she stood up...which was often!:mad:

I have a good few photos from that night. I was 6 at the time and quite short so Dad took them. If I find them, I'll pop them up.

Please put the photos up!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,994 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

There was a WWF show here on Maundy Thursday, 1992. I can't remember the card for it off my head other than Undertaker and Sid Justice was the main event. If I can find it, I'll list off the matches that was on that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Yeah for sure, there are some inaccuracies in these listings. There was an event main evented by Bret and Bam Bam in the 1990s. I was there. I can't remember when exactly. 1993 I believe, because the Hitman mentions it in his autobiography. Phenomenal to see him in the flesh at such a young age though. He was a true hero to me.

The card with Michaels and Razor was great as well. I was delighted to see HBK lose and throw a strop at Diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

There was a WWF show here on Maundy Thursday, 1992. I can't remember the card for it off my head other than Undertaker and Sid Justice was the main event. If I can find it, I'll list off the matches that was on that night.

WWF @ Belfast, Ireland - King's Hall - April 16, 1992
    Tatanka pinned Kato
    The Big Bossman pinned the Berzerker
    Virgil defeated the Warlord
    The Bushwhackers defeated the Brooklyn Brawler & WWF Tag Team Champion IRS
    Rick Martel pinned Kerry Von Erich by using the ropes for leverage
    The Undertaker fought Sid Justice to a double count-out

• Advertisement

Yeah for sure, there are some inaccuracies in these listings. There was an event main evented by Bret and Bam Bam in the 1990s. I was there. I can't remember when exactly. 1993 I believe, .

Again like the post above, this was a Belfast/NI show and the list I posted was only Dublin/ROI shows, but fairly sure this is the card your thinking of -

WWF @ Belfast, Northern Ireland - Kings Hall - April 20, 1993
    Virgil defeated Terry Taylor
    Doink the Clown (Keirn) defeated Tito Santana
    Rick & Scott Steiner defeated WWF Tag Team Champions Ted Dibiase & IRS via disqualification
    The Bushwhackers defeated the Beverly Brothers
    Tatanka defeated Papa Shango
    The Undertaker defeated Giant Gonzalez via disqualification
    Bret Hart defeated Bam Bam Bigelow

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

gonzales worked ireland, imagine being him having to travel to belfast by plane (wwe probably put him in economy given it was 1993) and then trying to sleep in our really small hotel beds :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭TheTwiz

That was the first show I was ever at. I can't remember Gonzalez though.

Tatanka pinned Kato

That sounds about right, thanks :)

rossie1977 wrote: »
    gonzales worked ireland, imagine being him having to travel to belfast by plane (wwe probably put him in economy given it was 1993) and then trying to sleep in our really small hotel beds :(

For these tours, no money was spared as local concert promoters did the leg work; WWF used Aitken Promotions in Ireland and Harvey Goldsmith for the UK while Apollo and Aitken did the WCW tours. They were flown into and out of London and moved around via coach, except to Dublin and Belfast which was done via plane and coach transfers. Back then, flights would have had first/business class flights so leg room wasn't an issue. There was also ground crews on hand for rings, merchandise etc. For hotels, they were put up in 4 and 5 star hotels so finding special beds etc would have been pre requisite to cater for the large guys.

When WWE ran shows in Belfast in and around 2002, the talent was flown in and out from Scotland on the day of the show. This was partly because of a alcohol ban imposed after a lot of incidents on a UK bound flight in 2002. The flight apparently saw Ric Flair strip off and do laps of the jet, X-Pac cut off Michael PS Haye's Mullet, Hall get drunk (For a change) and Goldust serenade his estranged wife, Terri on the in plane intercom :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭brick tamland

WWF @ Dublin, Ireland - Point Depot - April 27, 1991
    The Warlord pinned Jimmy Snuka
    Jim Neidhart pinned the Barbarian
    Jake Roberts pinned the Berzerker
    Shawn Michaels & Marty Jannetty (w/ Andre the Giant) defeated the Orient Express when Shawn Michaels pinned Tanaka
    Greg Valentine defeated the Brooklyn Brawler via submission with the figure-4
    Kerry Von Erich pinned Haku
    Roddy Piper defeated Earthquake via count-out after both men began brawling on the floor
    Davey Boy Smith pinned Ted Dibiase

I was at this, I was also at a show a year or 2 later thats not listed here. Off the top of my head matches on the card ( I can remember )

Bushwhackers Vs Beverly Bros
    Taker V Yokosuna
    Bret Hart V Bam Bam ( main event )

1991, man I feel old

Tatanka pinned Kato

User 'dolittle' posted some photos from this show.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63212638&postcount=25
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63212680&postcount=26
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63212721&postcount=27
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63212747&postcount=28

I was at this, I was also at a show a year or 2 later thats not listed here. Off the top of my head matches on the card ( I can remember )

Bushwhackers Vs Beverly Bros
    Taker V Yokosuna
    Bret Hart V Bam Bam ( main event )

Is this the card you're thinking of, maybe you had Yokozuna mixed up with Giant Gonzalez?

Rick & Scott Steiner defeated WWF Tag Team Champions Ted Dibiase & IRS via disqualification

The flight apparently saw Ric Flair strip off and do laps of the jet, X-Pac cut off Michael PS Haye's Mullet, Hall get drunk (For a change) and Goldust serenade his estranged wife, Terri on the in plane intercom :D

That should be WWE's next film, a reenactment of this flight!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Wasn't that the one that got Mr. Perfect fired, because he was shoot wrestling with Brock Lesnar ON THE PLANE? :o

Is this the card you're thinking of, maybe you had Yokozuna mixed up with Giant Gonzalez?

After reading this mate I racked my brains and remembered the show I was at in the point was the same night as Man United beat Palace in selhurst park to all but damn win there 1st league under Fergie ( I remembered watching the highlights afterwards ). Google tells me this was 21st April 1993 so it must have been a similar card to above. I remeber Virgil been in the 1st match alright. Could have been Gonzales alright, dont know why I had it in my head it was Yoko. Still pretty sure Yoko was at one of the 2 shows I was at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 TheFunker

WWF @ Dublin, Ireland - The Point - June 20, 1995
    WWF Women's Champion Alundra Blayze defeated Bertha Faye
    Men on a Mission defeated the New Headshrinkers
    Shawn Michaels defeated IRS
    The Smoking Gunns vs. Jacob & Eli Blu
    Jean Pierre Lafitte defeated Duke Drose
    The Undertaker defeated Kama
    Bret Hart defeated Hakushi

I remember going to this show. Man, was only a kid.
    Always remember shawn micheals and earl hebner doing this cheesy spot before the match got started :pac:

Michaels was in the corner and Herbner was checking him (the cliche check your knee pads) and as hebner finished & turned around michaels did a "come on" hand gesture to the crowd. Cue herber turning around and pointing his finger at michaels as in "dont you do that" :pac: Michaels did it a futher two times with herbner doing the same "i'm warning you michaels!" gesture.

cheesy and stupid as hell :pac: ... "now michaels, I am warning you. If you do your job any more by entertaining this crowd... HEY...i'm warning you!" :pac: Classic WWF :P

After reading this mate I racked my brains and remembered the show I was at in the point was the same night as Man United beat Palace in selhurst park to all but damn win there 1st league under Fergie ( I remembered watching the highlights afterwards ). Google tells me this was 21st April 1993 so it must have been a similar card to above. I remeber Virgil been in the 1st match alright. Could have been Gonzales alright, dont know why I had it in my head it was Yoko. Still pretty sure Yoko was at one of the 2 shows I was at.

Yeah i'm 99% certain Bret fought Yokozuna.

After reading this mate I racked my brains and remembered the show I was at in the point was the same night as Man United beat Palace in selhurst park. Google tells me this was 21st April 1993. Still pretty sure Yoko was at one of the 2 shows I was at.

This is the card listed for 21st April 1993, Yokozuna was indeed there, good memory :)

WWF @ Dublin, Ireland - Point Depot - April 21, 1993 (4,000)
    Typhoon defeated Damien Demento
    Kamala defeated Kimchee
    Doink the Clown (Borne) defeated Crush via count-out
    Yokozuna defeated Jim Duggan
    WWF IC Champion Shawn Michaels pinned Bob Backlund
    The Nasty Boys fought the Headshrinkers to a double disqualification
    Mr. Perfect defeated Lex Luger

This is the card listed for 21st April 1993, Yokozuna was indeed there, good memory :)

WWF @ Dublin, Ireland - Point Depot - April 21, 1993 (4,000)
    Typhoon defeated Damien Demento
    Kamala defeated Kimchee
    Doink the Clown (Borne) defeated Crush via count-out
    Yokozuna defeated Jim Duggan
    WWF IC Champion Shawn Michaels pinned Bob Backlund
    The Nasty Boys fought the Headshrinkers to a double disqualification
    Mr. Perfect defeated Lex Luger

Dont think thats the Card mate, Bret V Bam Bam was main event for sure and I remember the bushwhackers v Beverly Bros ( loved the bushwhackers ). As i said I think Taker V yoko was on the card too although the night before he fought Sid so maybe I'm wrong

• Advertisement

Yeah we remember the same card. Yokozuna was definitely on the same card as Bushwackers, Beverly Bros, Virgil, Undertaker & Bret

• Registered Users Posts: 13,360 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Just curious about this. Does anyone knw did hulk hogan ever appear/ visit ireland ??. Back in the 80's early 90's hulkamania was huge around the world and must of been promoted around the world.

Kids/wresting fans today are very fortunate to have the chance to see there favourite wwe superstars in person while years ago there was no chance.

Just with regards to seeing Hogan in the early 90's, my sister went to a show in London in '93, where he wrestled Yokozona.

I know it wasn't an Irish show but I'm sure it was nice to see him at that time in his career.

She wasn't much of a wrestling fan, just went along with a freind, I'm sure she has some photos of it at home.

Here is the card, doesn't look great in fairness.

WWF @ London, England - Earls Court - August 4, 1993
    Tito Santana pinned the Predator
    Brutus Beefcake pinned Terry Taylor
    Tatanka pinned Bam Bam Bigelow
    WWF Tag Team Champions Rick & Scott Steiner defeated the Headshrinkers
    Owen Hart pinned Papa Shango
    Jim Duggan pinned Bastion Booger
    Hulk Hogan defeated WWF World Champion Yokozuna via disqualification

The who was on the card in 1993 has been bugging me. I did a google and it turns out the same thing was discussed here 5 years ago

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055317367

The who was on the card in 1993 has been bugging me. I did a google and it turns out the same thing was discussed here 5 years ago

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055317367

Aha, I think that website might have published the wrong card for the Dublin 21st April 1993 show. Seems like the card was the same as the Belfast show the previous night, except with Gonzalez possibly being replaced by Yokozuna.

Appears that WWF came to Europe in April 1993 but were using two different rosters (much like they do today) and the webmaster may have published the incorrect roster.

Love the fact that in all seven matches, the seven babyfaces all won :D

This post seems to back up your point anyway - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56312574&postcount=32

• Registered Users Posts: 10,976 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Kolido wrote: »
    WWF @ London, England - Earls Court - August 4, 1993
    Tito Santana pinned the Predator
    Brutus Beefcake pinned Terry Taylor
    Tatanka pinned Bam Bam Bigelow
    WWF Tag Team Champions Rick & Scott Steiner defeated the Headshrinkers
    Owen Hart pinned Papa Shango
    Jim Duggan pinned Bastion Booger
    Hulk Hogan defeated WWF World Champion Yokozuna via disqualification

Did the faces win every match on that card or was Tatanka part of DiBiase's stable at this time?

Did the faces win every match on that card or was Tatanka part of DiBiase's stable at this time?

Yep faces won every match - welcome to 1993 WWF :D

Tatanka turned heel at Summerslam 1994.

Love the fact that in all seven matches, the seven babyfaces all won :D

This post seems to back up your point anyway - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56312574&postcount=32

Yep, and was the same in 1991 at my other wwf show
    WWF @ Dublin, Ireland - Point Depot - April 27, 1991
    The Warlord pinned Jimmy Snuka
    Jim Neidhart pinned the Barbarian
    Jake Roberts pinned the Berzerker
    Shawn Michaels & Marty Jannetty (w/ Andre the Giant) defeated the Orient Express when Shawn Michaels pinned Tanaka
    Greg Valentine defeated the Brooklyn Brawler via submission with the figure-4
    Kerry Von Erich pinned Haku
    Roddy Piper defeated Earthquake via count-out after both men began brawling on the floor
    Davey Boy Smith pinned Ted Dibiase

Im sure the warlord V snuka decision was reveresed after the bell for something or other

The other thing I remember confusing me at the time was the fact that Piper wrestled here whilst he was at the time " seriously injured" and not wrestling on TV. Youthful innocence:D

Again like the post above, this was a Belfast/NI show and the list I posted was only Dublin/ROI shows, but fairly sure this is the card your thinking of -

That's the one! Thanks! I was looking for that! It was pretty much the exact same one that I saw in The Point. The Undertaker was so scary!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Garseys wrote: »
    Match missing from this card
    Big Show, Eddie Guerrero & Rey Mysterio defeated Kurt Angle & The Basham Brothers

I remember Rene Dupree and Carlito getting a lot of heat from the crowd, Undertakers entrance was spine chilling live & Cena got an amazing pop that night. (in fairness though it was his first of many title runs)

Good Crowd aswell, guys behind me started a "**** you Holly" chant during his match :pac:

little kid though in front of me, kept standing up on the seat and he was kinda tall for his age so he kept blocking my views despite telling him and
    his mother numerous times.
    That was the one when teddy longs mike wasnt working at the start?

That was a great show and I remember the main event as being class.

• Advertisement

Oh yes, forgot to say, on the same card that Bret took on Bam Bam in The Point in 1993, Taker fought Yoko.

Advertisement