Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 2 Episode 4 - *Have NOT Read the Books* (Spoilers)

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,326 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Sleepy wrote: »
    Not to mention that no-one has ever said a year in Westeros is the same as an Earth year. Their seasons last for years, who's to say their "name days" aren't further apart than our birthdays? ;)

I think its relatively clear that they are identical.
    It's never explicitly stated obviously but characters like Sansa (In Series One she has had 12 name days and has not yet 'had her blood', but a marriage to Joffrey is imminent once she has had it) would indicate Westeros and Earth aging is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,170 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Honestly, I'm inclined to agree with Owryan in that realistically the humans in ASOIAF are based quite historically accurately on medieval Britain (since the whole game of thrones element is based on the War of Roses and many of the events have mirrors in British and Scottish history...
    (e.g. the wall, the red wedding, Frey Pie etc.)

Just threw out the possibility that there's nothing in the canon that explicitly says a name day is a birthday and a year is the exact same length as an Earth year. Even if it was only slightly longer e.g. a 426 day year which would make the Sansa with 12 name days 14 years old, it would bring the characters ages up to something less creepy for our modern social values.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭sickpuppy32

qz wrote: »
    What in the actual fook. One of the best episode of the show I've seen. From punching the air at the beginning when the dire wolf attacked the soldier to being gobsmacked at the end when that thing was born.

Unreal.

poor old rennick, kinda liked him, especially the fart joke, really got the horror of war aspect - even the funny guy dies

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So was that soldier who farted the same guy who came out drunk to fight at Joffrey's name day? I also thought it was Jon snow's friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭sickpuppy32

No , that was some knight who they made the castle clown

• Advertisement

I just jumped into this thread for a quick look and I have to say; all the contempt for the mystical elements in the show made me laugh. This is a FANTASY show, people. If you're embarrassed by dragons, zombies or shadow demons you might as well stop watching now, because there's going to be a lot more in the upcoming seasons.
    And for whoever said it: the shadow ISN'T meant for breaking those bars down. Davos meant to bring Melisandre further into the caves, only to find the way barred off. So she had to stop and give birth there instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I just jumped into this thread for a quick look and I have to say; all the contempt for the mystical elements in the show made me laugh. This is a FANTASY show, people. If you're embarrassed by dragons, zombies or shadow demons you might as well stop watching now, because there's going to be a lot more in the upcoming seasons.
    And for whoever said it: the shadow ISN'T meant for breaking those bars down. Davos meant to bring Melisandre further into the caves, only to find the way barred off. So she had to stop and give birth there instead.

You're right but wrong at the same time, even the books where like this to a point where when the fantasy happened 1st hand it was a call to sit up and take note, i'd had a few paragraphs more but even using spoiler tags would not be fair in the thread that clearly says HAVE NOT read the books, also bearing in mind that this is a thread for exactly that and the discussion of the TV show.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

I watched episode 3 & 4 back to back last night, great viewing.
    Those whinging about the supernatural elements can **** right off.
    This is the telling of a book which has been successful in it's own right.
    The readers didn't turn their back on the series of books when they read it & neither should any right minded watcher today.
    This is not Damien Lindoff backed into a corner creating a magic donkey wheel to mix water & light.
    If you don't like it then bugger off quietly, would you prefer the screenplay didn't follow the text.

On the show itself, the weakness of Daenerys is a bit daft, ooooh I wonder where she's hiding the dragons, they could have slaughtered them & taken the dragons in seconds if they wanted to, have to see how it plays out.
    Are we to take it that Liam Cunningham's character had some fingers cut off by Stannis for being a smuggler, yet he remains loyal but maybe ripe for turning, I like that.
    Aidan Gillan makes a move on Ned Stark's widow just before he gives her his husbands head in the box, smooth.
    Who authorised the trade of the 2 daughters for the Lannister chap ?, I missed him getting an instruction.

Seeing Anne Boleyn in the buff would cure anyone of the gay Iris Robinson style.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Littlefinger

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    Are we to take it that Liam Cunningham's character had some fingers cut off by Stannis for being a smuggler, yet he remains loyal but maybe ripe for turning, I like that.

Its fleshed out more int he books, not sure if its mentioned in teh series
    Davos was a smuggler, that saved Stannis and his armies lives by smuggling in onions and other food to them whilst they were being starved by some army. Stannis was so greatful that he made Davos a knight, but as we all know Stannis has an extreme case of all wrongdoing is bad. So as punishment he chopped off the fingers.

Its fleshed out more int he books, not sure if its mentioned in teh series
    Davos was a smuggler, that saved Stannis and his armies lives by smuggling in onions and other food to them whilst they were being starved by some army. Stannis was so greatful that he made Davos a knight, but as we all know Stannis has an extreme case of all wrongdoing is bad. So as punishment he chopped off the fingers.
    the armies were Targaryen loyalists during Roberts Rebellion, Stannis and his troops wer under siege in Dragonstone during a large part of that war. Davos was punished for his smuggling and then raised to knighthood to reward his bravery in breaking the siege lines

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭andy1249

I see some posts above complaining about supernatural elements !!

Really , if that type of thing bothers you then game of thrones is not for you, its very much a Sword and Sorcery king of story ...

I'll list a few concepts below , not spoilers but I'll spoiler tag them anyway just in case ....
    Its set in a world where summer lasts for decades if not centuries , at the current time , hardly anyone has seen a real winter , hence the term " Winter is coming " . Winters last just as long !
    When Winter comes , the White Walkers come with it , White Walkers can raise the dead , and they use them as armies , the only effective weapon against them is fire or Obsidian , which is called Dragonstone in that world
    There are also Sorcerers , who can make or use magical weapons , some of those show up soon.
    If there is not a fully grown Dragon in Westeros that is controlled by a Child of the Dragons by the time Winter and the White Walkers really comes , Westeros is pretty much screwed. A Dragon is the only way Westeros will survive invasion by the White Walkers. Dragons have been thought to be extinct since the time of the Targaryen Kings
    The wall was set up to keep the White Walkers and other creatures ( Giants , Trolls , etc. ) out of Westeros , the current summer has lasted so long that the Nights Watch has been ignored and has degenerated into a Penal Colony. No one really believes in the White Walkers anymore , or any of the other creatures beyond the wall , but they show up. While the various claimants are squabbling over the Iron Throne , a massive threat is building up beyond the wall that they are totally unaware of.

So , if supernatural stuff bothers you , stop watching , its just going to get more common.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭stesaurus

andy1249 wrote: »
    I see some posts above complaining about supernatural elements !!

Really , if that type of thing bothers you then game of thrones is not for you, its very much a Sword and Sorcery king of story ...

I'll list a few concepts below , not spoilers but I'll spoiler tag them anyway just in case ....
    Its set in a world where summer lasts for decades if not centuries , at the current time , hardly anyone has seen a real winter , hence the term " Winter is coming " . Winters last just as long !
    When Winter comes , the White Walkers come with it , White Walkers can raise the dead , and they use them as armies , the only effective weapon against them is fire or Obsidian , which is called Dragonstone in that world
    There are also Sorcerers , who can make or use magical weapons , some of those show up soon.
    If there is not a fully grown Dragon in Westeros that is controlled by a Child of the Dragons by the time Winter and the White Walkers really comes , Westeros is pretty much screwed. A Dragon is the only way Westeros will survive invasion by the White Walkers. Dragons have been thought to be extinct since the time of the Targaryen Kings
    The wall was set up to keep the White Walkers and other creatures ( Giants , Trolls , etc. ) out of Westeros , the current summer has lasted so long that the Nights Watch has been ignored and has degenerated into a Penal Colony. No one really believes in the White Walkers anymore , or any of the other creatures beyond the wall , but they show up. While the various claimants are squabbling over the Iron Throne , a massive threat is building up beyond the wall that they are totally unaware of.

So , if supernatural stuff bothers you , stop watching , its just going to get more common.

You're responding to people who haven't read the books. If they click on all of that they will be seriously spoilered for the next few years.

I don't really see the need for that, you could have just commented on what's been seen so far in the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

Ah no, that looks more like a summation/recap up to where we currently are in the series

We know there are dragons
    We know there are whitewalkers
    We can surmise that one is needed to kill the other
    We know about long winters
    We know something is amiss north of the wall

So in fairness not massivley spoilerific had ye been paying attention

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    Ah no, that looks more like a summation/recap up to where we currently are in the series

We know there are dragons
    We know there are whitewalkers
    We can surmise that one is needed to kill the other
    We know about long winters
    We know something is amiss north of the wall

So in fairness not massivley spoilerific had ye been paying attention

Can we? Really? Because all we've seen of either so far are very brief glimpses of whitewalkers and a couple of shots of baby dragons. I didn't know it was that obvious that one is needed to kill the other.

I really don't see why there is any sort of discussion about how things are in the show compared to what they were like in the book, especially things that are yet to happen in the show. This thread is for those who haven't read the book, there's a completely separate thread for those of you who have! I don't see the need for any discussion regarding anything to do with the books being in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Ye I agree, even with spoiler tags there should be no discussion of the book at all in this thread. That's what the other one is for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

tvnutz wrote: »
    Ye I agree, even with spoiler tags there should be no discussion of the book at all in this thread. That's what the other one is for.
    yes book off bookers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The intention is clear in the thread title, it's there for all too see. Spoilers, hints or innuendo from the books is not part of these threads, nor is it appreciated. Spoiler-tagging it doesn't negate things, so behave! :)

What the f*ck is going on? Spoilers in this thread?

F*ck off back to your read the books thread

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭plastic glass

really wish I didnt come into this thread. Massive spoilers from the a reader it seems. And thats without highlighting the spoiler tags.

The magic elements in the series are great. I like they way they are being teased out. With regards to the shadow demon I suspect we will get some more back ground on that. I reckon season by season they will up the fantasy elements. I was actually surprised at how little was in season 1.

And they person who said that for a regular viewer dragons were ok but shadow demons a no no, they are both as fantastical as each other. In fact I'd saydragons more so

Really, there's not much in the way of spoilers. There's some background and filling in the gaps left by the books but that's about it (there's also some conjecture that the books haven't even confirmed so don't worry about it, nothing's being spoiled in this thread.

• Advertisement

s.welstead wrote: »
    You're responding to people who haven't read the books. If they click on all of that they will be seriously spoilered for the next few years.

I don't really see the need for that, you could have just commented on what's been seen so far in the series.

They're not spoilers they're story fillers, all of this is just little pieces he thinks you ought to know as the story progresses and has been hinted at by that Nan character in Winterfell anyway.

Advertisement