Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 2 Episode 4 - *Have NOT Read the Books* (Spoilers)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭andy1249

Daenerys needs to learn some diplomacy! That whole scene outside Qarth was hilarious.

Thats the whole point , shes on a long learning curve , shes supposed to be just 15 or 16 or so at this point !

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

don ramo wrote: »
    although im still baffled at the fact the lannisters are simply allowed to take men meant for the wall and put them to work for themselves,

Who is gonna stop them? The Lannisters have the throne, Robb's army is up North and Stannis and Renly are to the South. The watch only derives its legitimacy from the crown, they have no real power to speak of. At most they could say "Joffrey pretty please don't take our recruits" or "Hey other kings, pretty please stop Joffrey from taking our recruits".

Anyway, regarding the ending, I was really really hoping they'd be more subtle about it than that. I've read the books so maybe I didn't have enough "what the hell!" going on for the scene to work, but I though it looked a little silly. This blatant magic is gonna turn off a lot of the fans they earned in season 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Joffery gets worse and worse. With the crossbow pointed at sansa :eek:
    Tyrion is a legend. Every line of dialogue he has is good!

Great method of torture with the rats

"Bron the next time he speaks kill him.... now that was a threat... SEE THE DIFFERENCE?"

Line of the season so far and no surprise it came from the brilliant Peter Dinklage.

Absolutely awesome episode - no idea what that was at the end, going to be itching to see this next week. Great seeing Liam Cunningham - hope he gets more screen time as I think he is a terrific actor.

Christ that was some ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Definitely the most graphic episode to date. Gets better and better though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

pixelburp wrote: »
    And as for the ending? Well the 'thing' she was giving birth to seemed to be fully grown; for the life of me I can't imagine what her angle is in all this. Actually hang on, am I right in thinking that took place near Renly's stronghold; Davos seemed to suggest this. Was she birthing an assassin?

I'd imagine that's the intention, to get Renly out of the picture. I think Davos had an idea that Stannis was intending killing his brother when he asked him to take her ashore which is why he asked him if he was sure. He obviously didn't think it'd be by means of a smoke-demon baby, though. Stannis in charge of Renly's forces would suddenly create one utter mess of a war.

Magic was in the series from frame one, though, remember that the first scene was those Night's Watch soldiers being murdered by a White Walker. It all feels like a story of magic slowly pervading a world that had forgotten it existed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

titan18 wrote: »
    On them being at Harrenhal and being taken interrogated, the show explained it really bad. When they were asking about gold and who helps the Brotherhood, they are on about the Brotherhood Without Banners. Ye might remember their leader from the first series when Eddard sends Beric Dondarrion out to capture Ser Gregor Clegane for raiding the countryside. It might be worth reading up about it since I don't think the show is going to explain it fully

Yeah heave to agree, they kinda left it hanging what exactly the torturers were looknig for. They could have at least mentioned Berics name at some point so some people might realise what they were after. 'The Brotherhood' means SFA to anyone who hasn't read the books.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,185 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Great episode, season 2 shaping up nicely. Is it just me or are the episodes getting shorter?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Great episode, season 2 shaping up nicely. Is it just me or are the episodes getting shorter?

The catching up on what's happened before is knocking 2-3 minutes of the show I think - seaon 1 episodes were 55 minutes without going back on what's happened whereas this season they're still 55 but have the catch up scenes at the start

for some reason the episodes do seem a lot shorter though

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,185 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    The catching up on what's happened before is knocking 2-3 minutes of the show I think - seaon 1 episodes were 55 minutes without going back on what's happened whereas this season they're still 55 but have the catch up scenes at the start

for some reason the episodes do seem a lot shorter though

episoode 4 was 52 mins with a catch up, or at least the one i saw was.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I was expecting them to head into the camp somehow and assassinate Renly
    Sure it was certain after the talk about it not being clean
    I certainly wasn't expecting that ending :eek:

Loved the beginning with Robb and his men about to charge on the camp.
    Was just a flash and the call but it worked realy well
    Robb is truely a leader of men :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

I really like Rob's character and hoping it will develop a bit more.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Zillah wrote: »
    [...]

Anyway, regarding the ending, I was really really hoping they'd be more subtle about it than that. I've read the books so maybe I didn't have enough "what the hell!" going on for the scene to work, but I though it looked a little silly. This blatant magic is gonna turn off a lot of the fans they earned in season 1.

Whereas dragons were ok? I don't think the average viewer is that fickle that the presence of some magic is going to be a deal-breaker. If anything, the show has been slowly introducing it into the fabric of the story withouting appearing too jarring. Like I said, the first series ended with the birth of dragons after some black-magic rituals, had zombies during & even started the series with a little implied magic. The viewer has been warned.

Besides, if anything, the average audience-member is more likely to turn off because of all of the nudity given the public's prudishness.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

"Bron the next time he speaks kill him.... now that was a threat... SEE THE DIFFERENCE?"

Line of the season so far and no surprise it came from the brilliant Peter Dinklage.

Absolutely awesome episode - no idea what that was at the end, going to be itching to see this next week. Great seeing Liam Cunningham - hope he gets more screen time as I think he is a terrific actor.

Christ that was some ending.

i think the line of the season was just after that, when the imp and knight were talking of how to deal with Geofrey, and the night says "theres no cure for being a ****"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭golfball37

I have to say I loved it up until the ending. With the Dragons and White Walkers a non book reader like me knew they existed. I thought last nights ending was silly as we really haven't had enough background on Stannis lady.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,172 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Well, to be fair, you'd already seen her ingest poison without batting an eyelid when it killed the maester who shared her cup instantly. If you re-watch that scene closely you'll see her pendant was burning brightly and she says that "fire purifies" or something along those lines so it's already been established in the show that she has some ability with magic...

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭HankScorpio1985

Stannis is the king in the narrow sea and based on Dragonstone...
    Renly is king in the highgarden and his army is probably based not too far from there in the west. They met in last nights episode, probably somewhere half way. Would this not be be very close to Kings Landing and Lannister territory or am I getting the positions mixed up? Or is Renly at Storms End?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Can anyone explain what the brotherhood is without giving too much away?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Oranage2 wrote: »
    no not here, you wanna know wiki it or something, or go to the have read the book thread,

• Registered Users Posts: 24,172 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

If you want to know what the Brotherhood is read it here:
    In Season 1 Ned charged Lord Beric Dondarion to take some of his troops out to return the mountain (Ser Gregor Clegane) to answer for his crimes (at the behest of his liege lord Tywin Lannister) in the Riverlands.

These soldiers were a combination of King Roberts and Ned's own personal guard. Not taking any other side, they consider themselves "Kings Men" or the "Brotherhood without Banners".

(Interesting aside: there is a Brotherhood without Banners amongst George RR Martin's fans. At Worldcon he sets people challenges (for example were Worldcon in Ireland it might be to fetch him some Poitin or Haggis were it in Scotland) and "knights" them with funny names. Some of the "brotherhood" have actually had their names used for walk-on characters in the later books)

WARNING: DO NOT GOOGLE THIS, YOU'LL RISK SOME *MAJOR* SPOILERS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Zillah wrote: »

the unblatent magic of season 1 was worse

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Stannis is the king in the narrow sea and based on Dragonstone...
    Renly is king in the highgarden and his army is probably based not too far from there in the west. They met in last nights episode, probably somewhere half way. Would this not be be very close to Kings Landing and Lannister territory or am I getting the positions mixed up? Or is Renly at Storms End?
    Renly actually rules Storm's End. His link/alliance to Highgarden is through his wife and her brother who are the daughter/son of the ruler of Highgarden.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

pauldoo wrote: »
    i think the line of the season was just after that, when the imp and knight were talking of how to deal with Geofrey, and the night says "theres no cure for being a ****"

Couldn't stop laughing at that.

Along with "He was born of salt and smoke" "Is he a ham?"

Two epic quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I dont get what peoples problems with the magic aspect is, its a fantasy series, its got dragons, giant wolves, zombies, white walkers,a wall that spans the width of a country,people who can't be killed by fire and witches. Its been there since episode one and talked about constantly, the politics and aspects about the throne are what makes the series so good to watch but its a fantasy series first and foremost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Oranage2 wrote: »

I wouldn't advise googling them as it would certainly spoil some plots. I see the Brotherhood as a gang of merry outlaws!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

pauldoo wrote: »
    There was a great line in season one too, when Tyrion first met Bronn and asked him his name. Escapes me now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Was it just me or did littlefinger put on some sort of yorkshire accent when he was talking to Maergery Tyrell , he definitely sounded different to me.

Another bit that never fails to take me out of it is Catelyns ongoing mangling of her own daughters name , It's Arya not Ayyah for the seven gods sake woman, get it right .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I wonder will we see more of the nurse

No idea, never read the book
    It was a fairly big role for the actress, I'd be suprised if she is not back again

Robb seems the honourable type and not one to be messing around with women but hey, Ned was honourable too and had a bastard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Was it just me or did littlefinger put on some sort of yorkshire accent when he was talking to Maergery Tyrell , he definitely sounded different to me.

Another bit that never fails to take me out of it is Catelyns ongoing mangling over her own daughters name , It's Arya not Ayyah for the seven gods sake woman, get it right .

I asked Bryan Cogan about this on twitter. He said it was a accent thing, cos Catelyn comes from the south she pronounces Ayra differently. But I think this is a bit of a cop out! But in saying that Catelyn has been pronouncing it Ayyah from episode one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Littlefinger's accent has been wandering around the British Isles this whole season, it's bizarre. He seemed to be doing a Sean Connery impression for a while.

Advertisement