Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So... the PSP...

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Mindkiller wrote: »
    Video should be fine but PSP is crap for supporting video formats. I'm sure there's a way to get avi playing but I really don't think it's the type of device you want to be watching stuff on tbh. You have to 'hold' the screen, ugh..

There's an AVI player for the PSP (supports Xvid and Divx), and PMPlayer plays MP4, MKV and FLV files

A mkv player for the PSP? Cool to know cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Andy!! wrote: »
    Yah. But how is the performance running off a micro sd-adaptor. :pac:

Never had any issues with the sd-adaptor as I mentioned above, videos play just fine. The read speed thing had no noticeable impact for me

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Whats the latest CFW for the Psp?

Just picked one up on adverts for 20 euros--well Im supposed to be collecting in an hour or so.

Want to put a Snes/Megadrive/Gameboy emulator on it.

Can anyone point me in the right direction.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Whats the latest CFW for the Psp?

Just picked one up on adverts for 20 euros--well Im supposed to be collecting in an hour or so.

Want to put a Snes/Megadrive/Gameboy emulator on it.

Can anyone point me in the right direction.

6.60 is the latest. There's a Patapon 2 demo exploit that opens up the PSP for custom firmware. It's very handy compared to the old chickHEN trick. 6.60 PRO-B9 or B10 is the way to go in relation to CFW.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Cheers for that Cheeryghost.Its been a while since I modded a Psp--a long while but with prices this cheap its gonna be handy for sitting round the pool on holidays :D

Would you know which are the best Emulators out these days??

• Advertisement

Yeah but you don't even need paragon right? Just install pro b 10.

Make sure you check out the PSP properly, some feckers out there trying to get rid of damaged gear! Ended up buying mine new. I would also be interested in hearing about the best emulators these days, but I think the download section on pspbrew.com is a good place too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Yeah, I don't think you need Patapon. I installed CFW on a 2000 and 3000 recently and it was just a case of having the right OFW and running it straight off.

SNES emulation is crap. Even with the newest emulations you almost always have to have frameskip at at least 1 so it's now much fun unless you use it as a go-between (copying save files back and forth) for a more competent emulator NES, GBA, PS1 etc seem fine. Haven't tried Mega Drive. N64 isn't worth bothering with.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I have a mountain of games to get through on my big expensive consoles, yet I just spent the last two hours playing Vice on my PSP thanks to this thread. Cheers guys. :o

Yeah, I don't think you need Patapon. I installed CFW on a 2000 and 3000 recently and it was just a case of having the right OFW and running it straight off.

SNES emulation is crap. Even with the newest emulations you almost always have to have frameskip at at least 1 so it's now much fun unless you use it as a go-between (copying save files back and forth) for a more competent emulator NES, GBA, PS1 etc seem fine. Haven't tried Mega Drive. N64 isn't worth bothering with.

Ah ****e was looking forward to playing through a Link to the past for the first time. Did it get rereleased on the GBA? Maybe I'll try it that way. I wonder why SNES emulation is so dodgy, it's the same on my Xperia Play.

Ah ****e was looking forward to playing through a Link to the past for the first time. Did it get rereleased on the GBA? Maybe I'll try it that way. I wonder why SNES emulation is so dodgy, it's the same on my Xperia Play.

It is out on the GBA, & a fine port it is too :) One of my top five games of all time!

gba-legend-of-zelda-the-a-link-to-the-past-box-front.jpg

• Advertisement

Only thing about that port is that the audio is nowhere near as good as the SNES version. You see the same type of thing with the FF ports. For some people that may be a dealbreaker. But it's a much better option than SNES emulation on PSP imo

Only thing about that port is that the audio is nowhere near as good as the SNES version. You see the same type of thing with the FF ports. For some people that may be a dealbreaker. But it's a much better option than SNES emulation on PSP imo

Yep agreed, but it's the best handheld port of LttP there is, because handheld SNES emulation isn't great. The music in LttP is epicly good, so sound quality is gonna be a consideration.

What about using the GBA cart in a DS Lite, with a decent pair of headphones?

EnterNow wrote: »
    What about using the GBA cart in a DS Lite, with a decent pair of headphones?

So hang on, is the sound not as good because of how it was compressed to get it on to the card, or was it down to GBA speakers? It won't be an issue then surely?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Been a year since I installed CFW on a PSP, the patapon exploit was very easy to do, can't imagine an easier way tbh :P

N64 emulator becomes playable if you overclock your PSP in the boot menu, which I never advise people to do in the first place.

Mega Drive emulator is fine btw.

So hang on, is the sound not as good because of how it was compressed to get it on to the card, or was it down to GBA speakers? It won't be an issue then surely?

No idea, headphones will only maximise what the GBA can do. If it's to do with coding, your best bet is a SNES tbh

Ah feck.

So I bought a few 32GB micro sds, and just went on ebay to buy a dual micro sd Pro duo adaptor. Finding it impossible to find one that says it accepts 32GB cards though (16gb limit). Risked it anyway, one guy selling em for about 1.50 with free postage, and will keep looking.

Ah feck.

The sound is nowhere near bad, don't let it turn you off like. The GBA version is the definitive handheld port of the game.

It's the only handheld port as well though, isnt it?

Didn't someone else say that they got a 32GB stick working in an adapter, but it would only take the one? You mightn't be totally out of luck. Sure you could always buy two cheapo adapters and switch them around.

Actually, come to think of it I'm not sure you can do that. Something to do with how you have to format the adapter in the PSP.

EnterNow wrote: »
    The sound is nowhere near bad, don't let it turn you off like. The GBA version is the definitive handheld port of the game.

I didnt mean the sound, I meant the adaptor. :pac: I'll try it anyway. Not sure why I was under the illusion that two 32GB micro sds would work in the same adaptor.

It's the only handheld port as well though, isnt it?

Yep, I made my point to include emulation though. Snes emulation on handhelds isn't perfect for some reason. The DS Snes emulator is rubbish, the PSP ones are better but can be glitchy/hit & miss. Leaving the GBA/DS Lite as the only true option to play it handheld.

I know for sure they accept x2 16GB cards, I've never tried 32GB ones though

• Advertisement

****e. I wonder if single adaptors will take a 32GB. Hmm.

Also these are HC (High capacity cards) does that make a difference?

Mine says 'high capacity' as well. No idea what that means.

This is the one I got, but it was on Amazon. http://www.play.com/Mobiles/Mobile/-/531/688/-/6738120/SanDisk-Micro-SD-HC-16GB/Product.html

They're tiny yokes when you get them.

Yeah they are tiny. Gonna try and get a single adaptor and test both. If neither work with the 32GB I'll have to flog all 3 I just bought on adverts or something. Or put one in my phone.

The twin adapters should work fine with x1 32GB card in them I think...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Megadrive Emulator is Picodrive, well it's the one I use.
    Plays stuff fine.

Also have one of those dual micro sd card jobs. 2x16gb cards in it. Plays everything I want.

The single adaptor works with the 32GB card (less than one day postage, awesome! :D) The dual slot will be here monday. I'll test that then. Then I'll probably write up a big blog post on all this that others can reference.

Got my psp up and running with some emulators.Pico drive is brilliant as is
    Snes9xtyl.
    Any other Emulators that you lot recommend?/
    Thinking maybe Gameboy Advance if theres one out there.

Can ayone point me in the direction of these sd adapters that you speak of :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Finally got round to hacking my psp today. Got the snes and n64 emulator and so far it's looking good. Some serious nostalgia playing super mario world.

Is the ps1 emuator any good? Wouldn't mind having a go at some games I missed back then.

Finally got round to hacking my psp today. Got the snes and n64 emulator and so far it's looking good. Some serious nostalgia playing super mario world.

Hows the N64 emulator on stock speeds??

• Advertisement

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Snes9xtyl.

With Light custom firmware or full? I just installed pro b 10, and I'm having a little trouble. Should I just put the extracted data into PSP/GAME? The PSP says its corrupted data. And I can't delete the folder from the PSP or computer when I try. And when I look at the folder on the PSP, it has renamed itself _DEL_00000000000013273977. Very bizzare. Is it the card? Is it just a cheap chinese card or is the capacity something to do with it?

Advertisement