Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fiscal Treaty Megathread [Poll Reset]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

gerryo777 wrote: »
    Back to the yes sides slogans about yes for jobs and stability.

The unemployment rate is now 14.8% and growing and the number of people employed is down 1% to 1.78 million.

The Spanish banks are in the ****, the Greek politicians are boxing each other on live debates and there is a possibility the euro could implode, it's getting weaker and weaker by the day against the dollar.

WHERE ARE THE JOBS & WHERE IS THE STABILITY?

ANYONE????

And voting no would solve this how ?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Do you think unemployment would have gone up or gone down if we'd voted No? Or if it went up, would it have gone up at a slower rate than if we voted Yes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

You've had a whole week Enda, where's my job you cant?!!??!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

marienbad wrote: »

That's not the point I'm making.

I'm just wondering where all the jobs are and where the stability is.

We're bending over backwards to please our masters but aren't getting a lot in return apart from funding which we in turn give to the speculators and gamblers.

If we voted no it'd make no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭EURATS

Back to the yes sides slogans about yes for jobs and stability.

The unemployment rate is now 14.8% and growing and the number of people employed is down 1% to 1.78 million.

The Spanish banks are in the ****, the Greek politicians are boxing each other on live debates and there is a possibility the euro could implode, it's getting weaker and weaker by the day against the dollar.

WHERE ARE THE JOBS & WHERE IS THE STABILITY?

ANYONE????

Might have got us away from the drop zone when Da Bomb goes off!!! BANG!!

Do you not think it's wise to throw the banger BEFORE it goes OFF?

• Advertisement

Dave! wrote: »
    You've had a whole week Enda, where's my job you cant?!!??!

Well they're in power for around 15 months now and since they took over the unemployment rate has surged and our national debt has ballooned.

BTW, I'm self-employed and going fine so I don't need a job, you cant?!!??!

EURATS wrote: »

I have no idea what any of this means, sorry.

Well they're in power for around 15 months now and since they took over the unemployment rate has surged and our national debt has ballooned.

BTW, I'm self-employed and going fine so I don't need a job, you cant?!!??!

And as for employment and dept- what did you think was going to happen ?

I do believe that they did tell us it was going to get worse before it gets better, and I don't think anyone believes 15 months is enough time to solve the problem .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

This whole mess is going to end badly, very badly. The banks won't loan money so businesses are folding therefore less jobs, no growth, therefore we're fcuked, that's it basically. The clowns we employed to run the place are only going around in circles stretching out their time in office so the can milk the place for wages, expenses and pensions. Why people haven't revolted here long ago is beyond me but then again when you see the treatys that have been passed I suppose they deserve all the hardship we have and still have to endure yet.

And as for employment and dept- what did you think was going to happen ?

I do believe that they did tell us it was going to get worse before it gets better, and I don't think anyone believes 15 months is enough time to solve the problem .

No, but you'd think that after 15 months in power we would see some improvement.
    All we see are more taxes/charges, the domestic economy worse than ever and the outlook getting worse.

Is there no hope for the country?

BTW, the debt problem will continue to get worse, after all enda wears the fact that he never asked for a debt writedown like some sort of a badge of honour!

• Advertisement

I have no idea what any of this means, sorry.

If u don't understand. No problem.

No, but you'd think that after 15 months in power we would see some improvement.
    All we see are more taxes/charges, the domestic economy worse than ever and the outlook getting worse.

There is improvement, not as much as we should have had (imho) but some.

On the taxes -that was well known gerryo777, how else do we solve the crisis , and we are still one of the more undertaxed countries in Europe.

lost my decoder- perhaps you could be clearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

No, not now anyway. By all accounts next year is going to be total meltdown, NAMA are coming to the end of what they can sell so there won't be any sales next year to prop up the coffers. Businesses can't get money to continue on, not even viable ones, so more unemployment. It really is going to get a lot worse. I'm certainly glad I got out when I got the chance and i'd advise anyone with a head on their shoulders to do the very same.

There is improvement, not as much as we should have had (imho) but some.

On the taxes -that was well known gerryo777, how else do we solve the crisis , and we are still one of the more undertaxed countries in Europe.

So you want more taxation at a time when the country and the people are stretched to the limit?

That's a death spiral for any economy.

lost my decoder- perhaps you could be clearer.

U might be better to get one of those new microchips. Won't go missing so easy.

Europe is about to explode..throw it away quick..get out of the line of fire as much as possible

Europe is about to explode..throw it away quick..get out of the line of fire as much as possible

And if such a scenario were to happen , how would voting no make a difference ?

So you want more taxation at a time when the country and the people are stretched to the limit?

That's a death spiral for any economy.

Stretched to the limit ! you must be joking , the irish version of austerity is a laugh .

I want three avenues pursued simultanously- More taxation such as property and water, more cuts particularly in social welfare including means testing, Public service pay etc, plus a massive stimulus package.

Why exactly do you think Europe owes us any favours ? We have been massive beneficiaries since we joined and we still have an incredible sense of entitlement with the hand out with the begging bowl. Have we any national pride at all ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Stretched to the limit ! you must be joking , the irish version of austerity is a laugh .

You're having a laugh.

And if such a scenario were to happen , how would voting no make a difference ?

One little bit less commitment to the EU. Also we wouldn't be asked for money for the ESM pot which we can't afford!

• Advertisement

<Possible troll alert>

Four/five years ago we'd have made the inner circle of nations in a multi-speed Europe. Now we're just some fops on the edge of Europe's radar.

The bargaining power we had has now been pissed up against the wall. Another lost opportunity to our recovery. Does that make you happy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

squod wrote: »
    You're having a laugh.

no..that is the truth........but can you handle it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

What you mean is the irish version of austerity is a laugh FOR SOME. Those evading and being helped to evade it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I'd say most Europeans would be rofling at the thought of getting €188 a week from the Government as austerity.

I'd say most Europeans would be rofling at the thought of getting €188 a week from the Government as austerity.

How much do you think someone who's unemployed, who paid their PRSI and taxes while they worked be allowed?
    €20 or maybe €50 or god forbid €100???

You should remember that anyone who has €188 per week most lightly spends every penny of that in the Irish economy.
    You should also remember that we have the second highest VAT rate in europe at 23%.
    We have to pay for schoolbooks, doctors visits, bin collection and damm near everything else that in a lot of countries are provided by the state.

I do agree that when our officials go to the EU looking for deals their equivalant counterparts must wonder why a civil servant from Ireland is paid twice what they earn!!

Many unemployed people get zero euros per week. That make you happy?

Considering the cost of living in this place, I'd say the poor unfortunates on the dole(ie most of them) find it hard to make ends meet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

And promptly have over a lot of it taken away in one form of tax or another and have to pay higher prices for almost everything in comparison to their European counterparts. Get real and quit the trolling.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Happyman42 wrote: »
    And promptly have over a lot of it taken away in one form of tax or another and have to pay higher prices for almost everything in comparison to their European counterparts. Get real and quit the trolling.:rolleyes:

Hardly trolling. SW rates are ring fenced by Labour under the agreement for Government, income tax rates by FG.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

How much do you think someone who's unemployed, who paid their PRSI and taxes while they worked be allowed?
    €20 or maybe €50 or god forbid €100???

You should remember that anyone who has €188 per week most lightly spends every penny of that in the Irish economy.
    You should also remember that we have the second highest VAT rate in europe at 23%.
    We have to pay for schoolbooks, doctors visits, bin collection and damm near everything else that in a lot of countries are provided by the state.

I do agree that when our officials go to the EU looking for deals their equivalant counterparts must wonder why a civil servant from Ireland is paid twice what they earn!!

And many of them have made no contributions. They also get free GP visits as well. Waste collection is also free. Also our VAT rate is 7th highest in Europe.
    squod wrote: »
    Many unemployed people get zero euros per week. That make you happy?

Who are these unemployed people who get no money? :confused:
    Considering the cost of living in this place, I'd say the poor unfortunates on the dole(ie most of them) find it hard to make ends meet.

If ends meet is not being able to afford a few nights out a week then that probably is the case.

Advertisement