Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fiscal Treaty Megathread [Poll Reset]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Why won't Kenny tell us the details of what was discussed with Merkel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

smash wrote: »
    On the radio there a head guy in the ECB said we should be complimented for our yes vote but it in no way entitles us to any write off of debt or negotiations on it.

The message was vote yes for better treatment from Europe - lower interest rates and haircuts. I said at the time I thought that a yes would mean that the opposite would happen....that we would then be forgotten about by Europe as we had no more negotiating power, and had given up the ability to play hardball. And lo and behold......

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I thought we were voting on the fiscal treaty, not interest rates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

I thought we were voting on the fiscal treaty, not interest rates?

yes we were....and it was claimed that interest rates would be lower if we voted yes, and that our hand would be strengthened with regard to a haircut on the bank debt. It was clear that Enda believed that a yes would strengthen our negotiating power....and he was clearly very wrong. Merkel hasn't even bothered to be subtle in her rejection. It was a staring contest, and Ireland blinked first....

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

It would certainly strengthen our hand, but I think anyone who believed that voting yes would automatically lead to a rate cut would have been a bit naive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

steve9859 wrote: »
    yes we were....and it was claimed that interest rates would be lower if we voted yes
    It was claimed that interest rates on our current debt would be lower? By who?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

It would certainly strengthen our hand, but I think anyone who believed that voting yes would automatically lead to a rate cut would have been a bit naive.

I voted yes because I want our government to be held to account on what they spend.

But I don't agree with the above because we live in Ireland and our politicians have neither the intelligence or backbone to take on the EU/ECB.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭erkifino

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    I voted yes because I want our government to be held to account on what they spend.

Is it the Government or the country that will be held accountable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

the new "Vote Yes For Jobs"
    Leave Bosco out of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

In my opinion Irelands heading for a bigger crisis and that is the exodus of some of the big pharma plants from Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

smash wrote: »
    On the radio there a head guy in the ECB said we should be complimented for our yes vote but it in no way entitles us to any write off of debt or negotiations on it.

And a No vote the same. There was no veto, so there was no "hardball" to be played.

Look at it from the point of view of the rest of the European governments - if Ireland said No, and got a bribe to vote Yes, every other government would have to follow suit and bribe their parliaments.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

And you think it's bad now? We ain't seen nothing yet. There's some serious ****e coming down the line that nobody could have seen coming, we're just in free fall now, just wait for the crash!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

steddyeddy wrote: »
    In my opinion Irelands heading for a bigger crisis and that is the exodus of some of the big pharma plants from Ireland.

A lot of the drug patents will be up soon. What that has to do with the Treaty I'm not sure.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

The lipitor patent has already opened up and the generic drugs are free to copy the formula. Sales have already dropped significantly. The pharma industry is our most important industry imho. If we lose that the fiscal treaty becomes irrelevant to us as I think it already is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Scofflaw wrote: »
    And a No vote the same. There was no veto, so there was no "hardball" to be played.

Look at it from the point of view of the rest of the European governments - if Ireland said No, and got a bribe to vote Yes, every other government would have to follow suit and bribe their parliaments.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Any chance you could come out from behind the 'Treaty' and assess the situation politically or even honestly?:rolleyes:
    It's beyond a doubt that the Yes vote has re-inforced the notion in Berlin and now Brussels that the Irish are ok with austerity.
    I suspect that is why Enda is being so tightlipped about what Angela actually said.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Any chance you could come out from behind the 'Treaty' and assess the situation politically or even honestly?:rolleyes:
    It's beyond a doubt that the Yes vote has re-inforced the notion in Berlin and now Brussels that the Irish are ok with austerity.
    I suspect that is why Enda is being so tightlipped about what Angela actually said.

That is my honest assessment of the situation - A No vote had no particular advantage, because it wasn't a blocking vote. The other EU countries would just have said "well, they'll ratify when it becomes more obvious they need the money", which I think is very much the case.

All the "hardball" talk is just that - talk. This Treaty never offered an opportunity to renegotiate bank debt, and anyone who claimed it did was either wrong or lying, whichever side they were on.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭EURATS

That is my honest assessment of the situation - A No vote had no particular advantage, because it wasn't a blocking vote. The other EU countries would just have said "well, they'll ratify when it becomes more obvious they need the money", which I think is very much the case.

All the "hardball" talk is just that - talk. This Treaty never offered an opportunity to renegotiate bank debt, and anyone who claimed it did was either wrong or lying, whichever side they were on.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Well I set up a thread EU = FU? (in AH), which was a genuine question. 14 posts in 14 mins and boards sharply shut it down. Excuse was it belonged in the EU section, knowing it would be shut down there because of the FU part.
    Censorship without doubt.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056662842?page=1#post_79070185

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Yes, yes....but answer the question Scofflaw, has the Yes vote re-inforced anything in Europe. Base your interpretation on statements coming out of Europe please.

Pat Rabitte now trying to spin the Spanish reaction as something they learned from us is laughable considering how they rolled over since, we should have played hardball long before this treaty was put to us.

EURATS wrote: »
    Well I set up a thread EU = FU? (in AH), which was a genuine question. 14 posts in 14 mins and boards sharply shut it down. Excuse was it belonged in the EU section, knowing it would be shut down there because of the FU part.

I don't know, my FU sig remained uncensored!

• Advertisement

Yes, yes....but answer the question Scofflaw, has the Yes vote re-inforced anything in Europe. Base your interpretation on statements coming out of Europe please.

It seems to have reinforced Ireland's commitment to Europe and European solutions. I'm not sure what you're looking for here, at least from me, because my arguments for the Treaty were/are based only on what's in the Treaty, not on what other effects it might or might be claimed to have.
    Pat Rabitte now trying to spin the Spanish reaction as something they learned from us is laughable considering how they rolled over since, we should have played hardball long before this treaty was put to us.

I can see that there is, in your mind, no way of getting anything in negotiations other than by "playing hardball", and by doing so at every turn of the road. I don't really agree, and on top of that I think the opportunities for "playing hardball" have been massively exaggerated.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

That's not really my business, since it's about moderation in AH, where I have no official standing whatsoever. However, it might be worth pointing out that nearly all the comments on that thread that weren't by you were comments on what a poor thread it was.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

That's not really my business, since it's about moderation in AH, where I have no official standing whatsoever. However, it might be worth pointing out that nearly all the comments on that thread that weren't by you were comments on what a poor thread it was.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

One comment on it being a "poor" thread. That hardly equates all!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-18350977

I'm thinking slippery slope..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

cbyrd wrote: »

Meh. I can no longer give a toss. The more I argue with people over stuff like this the more they resist.

* In other news some lad on talk to Joe earlier said he voted yes on the fiscal treaty for his grand kids. What a cnut.

squod wrote: »
    cbyrd wrote: »

Meh. I can no longer give a toss. The more I argue with people over stuff like this the more they resist.

* In other news some lad on talk to Joe earlier said he voted yes on the fiscal treaty for his grand kids. What a cnut.

Would have to agree with u. The minute anyone condemns the EU, they get cornered by mods looking to "correct their perspective", have their threads closed or get irrational bans and penalties.
    Boards.ie does have an agenda. Is by no means impartial!!

Would have to agree with u. The minute anyone condemns the EU, they get cornered by mods looking to "correct their perspective", have their threads closed or get irrational bans and penalties.
    Boards.ie does have an agenda. Is by no means impartial!!
    Why do I get the feeling that this is going to be a self fulfilling prophecy?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

If you've a problem with moderation, take it up with the forum moderators by PM or on the Helpdesk. Keep to the thread topic here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

Back to the yes sides slogans about yes for jobs and stability.

The unemployment rate is now 14.8% and growing and the number of people employed is down 1% to 1.78 million.

The Spanish banks are in the ****, the Greek politicians are boxing each other on live debates and there is a possibility the euro could implode, it's getting weaker and weaker by the day against the dollar.

WHERE ARE THE JOBS & WHERE IS THE STABILITY?

ANYONE????

• Advertisement

gerryo777 wrote: »
    Back to the yes sides slogans about yes for jobs and stability.

The unemployment rate is now 14.8% and growing and the number of people employed is down 1% to 1.78 million.

The Spanish banks are in the ****, the Greek politicians are boxing each other on live debates and there is a possibility the euro could implode, it's getting weaker and weaker by the day against the dollar.

WHERE ARE THE JOBS & WHERE IS THE STABILITY?

ANYONE????

What u say looks like it's on the cards alright.
    In relation to jobs and stability..enda and co have jobs, and those jobs are stable along with their rate of pay.

Advertisement