Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business closures around the county

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

house gastro pub closing after this weekend

really enjoyed the food there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

The Manhattan has closed down too, in Donegal Town.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Moonshine cafe in Letterkenny has a big lock on the door and a sign from the management of Joe Bonner retail park apologising for the inconvenience. It was always pretty busy despite being well hidden

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

The Manhattan has closed down too, in Donegal Town.
    Has it? God, that didn't last long after re-opening :(

As mentioned, food in The House was very good, a pity it's gone too.

Hopefully, neither stay closed for too long, though I think that it would be hard to keep one afloat considering how many there are in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭schizo1014

Rumours that Cara Pharmacy is to close up at Supervalue in Donegal Town too

• Advertisement
    byte

Jesus, I hope not! My prescriptions for my illness is with them! I did notice that they've made various changes to what's stocked on the floor, to the point where there's not much there...

I'm going to have to get some sort of confirmation so that I can organise having my prescriptions moved elsewhere. Can't risk not having my meds! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,862 ✭✭✭✭muffler

byte wrote: »
    I'm going to have to get some sort of confirmation so that I can organise having my prescriptions moved elsewhere. Can't risk not having my meds! :eek:
    You shouldnt have any bother in finding another chemist to get your meds. They will be only too glad of the business.

byte

muffler wrote: »
    You shouldnt have any bother in finding another chemist to get your meds. They will be only too glad of the business.
    Ah it's just having the 2 prescriptions addressed to Cara. They have them in their posession

I've since been told that Cara, if closing, would have to inform me of who I would prefer them to transfer the scripts to. There are 3 other pharmacies in town, and as you say, any of them would be glad of the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Looks like Mullins/Inver on the Pearse Road is closed. Didn't last long.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

I see Mc beartys in Raphoe has closed altogether now as well (frankies/parting glass) as it was called at various times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Joshua J wrote: »
    Looks like Mullins/Inver on the Pearse Road is closed. Didn't last long.

That was sudden. I was in there last Saturday and it seemed to be going strong.

I see Mc beartys in Raphoe has closed altogether now as well (frankies/parting glass) as it was called at various times.
    That's a bit of a shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

muffler wrote: »
    That's a bit of a shock.
    Yeah after all that place has been through.
    Raphoe is a bit of a ghost town at the minute not much happening anywhere around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Yeah after all that place has been through.
    Raphoe is a bit of a ghost town at the minute not much happening anywhere around it.

The parting glass had a big following years ago more of an older age group but plenty of people met their partner's there including friends of my own

byte

Duffy's take-away, also known as Donegal's Famous Chipper, in Donegal town is closing down Sunday week.

A shame to see it go, as the only decent proper chipper in town, after 52 years.

Duffy's take-away, also known as Donegal's Famous Chipper, in Donegal town is closing down Sunday week.

A shame to see it go, as the only decent proper chipper in town, after 52 years.

what amazes me is chippers serving frozen fish, when i was growing up the one thing you guaranteed was fresh fish in the chipper (yorkshire in the 70's).

never understood chippers charging a fortune for frozen fish

byte

Quinn's Spar shop in Donegal Town is closing in the next few days also.

It'll be a shame to see it go. Another sign of changing times, I suppose.

Quinn's Spar shop in Donegal Town is closing in the next few days also.

It'll be a shame to see it go. Another sign of changing times, I suppose.

thats a shame always cheap for stuff - need to get my stock of donegal honey in cheapest place to buy it ! but its been in need of a face lift for along time now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Format Computers in Letterkenny closing as owners retiring after 27 years in business.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,066 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Think i got my first laptop in there!

• Advertisement

Were they located over the Pearse Road?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭Technique

They were at Station Roundabout, a few doors up from Mr Chippy. Although they may have originally been on Pearse Road, opposite the Community Centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭Firblog

Aye easily 20 years at the roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Technique wrote: »
    They were at Station Roundabout, a few doors up from Mr Chippy. Although they may have originally been on Pearse Road, opposite the Community Centre?

Aye, they were there once upon a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,858 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Just got an email to say after May 31st, Letterkenny Gamestop will be closed permanently.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Format Computers in Letterkenny closing as owners retiring after 27 years in business.

Bought my first box of floppy disks in there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Just got an email to say after May 31st, Letterkenny Gamestop will be closed permanently.

I drove past yesterday and it looked like they were already closed up. Their store locater on the website doesnt mention LK anymore either. I am not surprised they are gone, their prices were shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭sp00k

mutley18 wrote: »
    I drove past yesterday and it looked like they were already closed up. Their store locater on the website doesnt mention LK anymore either. I am not surprised they are gone, their prices were shocking.

No idea how they lasted that long. New games were about €20 dearer than than in Argos or Smyths down the road. The second hand games were always more expensive than cex also. The gadgets/memorabilia must have been keeping them afloat.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,858 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I was hoping to get the PS5 from them if they had a good trade in offer on.
    But it's unfortunate for the staff. Probably closed due to the virus not knowing they wouldn't be open again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I was hoping to get the PS5 from them if they had a good trade in offer on.
    But it's unfortunate for the staff. Probably closed due to the virus not knowing they wouldn't be open again.

Yeah I was hoping the same. If there is a good trade in deal we might have to trek to Sligo for it!

Advertisement