Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business closures around the county

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Where that discount store was?

So were they forced out by Homestore and More? Is there really need for 3 home and garden places?

With Cooneys moving to a smaller store 2 doors up, I'd say they are dropping alot of the homeware items, so wont be in direct competition. Otherwise it wouldn't make sense for either store.
    Actually i wonder is Homestore and More a franchise? Perhaps Gary is connected to it somehow?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Kevwoody wrote: »
    With Cooneys moving to a smaller store 2 doors up, I'd say they are dropping alot of the homeware items, so wont be in direct competition. Otherwise it wouldn't make sense for either store.
    Actually i wonder is Homestore and More a franchise? Perhaps Gary is connected to it somehow?

Homestore and More used to be a sister company to Argos and Homebase but not sure how it was affected when everything was split a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭donegal_man

It was taken over by it's Irish investors. As far as I remember the big two are Jonathan Stanley the MD and Don Maher (the guy behind Ireland's main mobile phone distributors, Fonua). They moved contol off shore to an Isle of Man company called Siglo sometime in 2015.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Trattoria Toscana on Main St, Donegal Town is closing down.

Shame as it was quite good. I'm guessing that's the pressures of so many restaurants in the town now. Manhattan gone too a few weeks back.

*I realise it's an old thread, figured it better to add to existing thread, but if mods would prefer to move it, then erm, yes, I'll allow it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,323 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

byte wrote: »
    Trattoria Toscana on Main St, Donegal Town is closing down.

thats a shame thought the food was nice, always very loud in there though and the service hit and miss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭aileach

Homestore and More has disappeared from beside Lidl - have they relocated? (In Letterkenny)

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

aileach wrote: »
    Homestore and More has disappeared from beside Lidl - have they relocated? (In Letterkenny)

It only opened a couple of months ago, how do you mean its disappeared, is their signage down or shelves empty??

aileach wrote: »
    cosanostra wrote: »
    It only opened a couple of months ago, how do you mean its disappeared, is their signage down or shelves empty??

It's still there and open as of this afternoon, O/H and I bought a few items in it.
    I see Equivalenza, the perfume and scent store in Shopping Centre is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Firblog

McMahons in Donegal Town closing down - last day this Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,323 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Firblog wrote: »
    McMahons in Donegal Town closing down - last day this Saturday.

retiring ?

• Advertisement

Sign says due to online and out of town shopping..

Sprint Education Supplies in Letterkenny and Donegal Town gone.
    Lily's Coffee Shop on Letterkenny Main St. up for lease, never seemed to recover from the fire behind it.
    Coffee Factory, beside Mr Chippie closed "for relocation". Anyone any idea where they're moving it to? I'd have thought they were pretty well situated, beside their takeaway and the only coffee shop straight across from the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭Nollog

Sprint Education Supplies in Letterkenny and Donegal Town gone.
    Lily's Coffee Shop on Letterkenny Main St. up for lease, never seemed to recover from the fire behind it.
    Coffee Factory, beside Mr Chippie closed "for relocation". Anyone any idea where they're moving it to? I'd have thought they were pretty well situated, beside their takeaway and the only coffee shop straight across from the station.

Costa opened in the shopping centre.

Unsurprisingly The Motley Crow anti café in the old Letterkenny railway station building is gone and I noticed Peacock's clothing on Main Street is shutting up shop on May 11th.

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Costa opened in the shopping centre.

Yeah, sad to see that a locally owned operation serving decent coffee and fresh food can't compete with the over priced tasteless version and plastic wrapped food offered by the chains.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Unsurprisingly The Motley Crow anti café in the old Letterkenny railway station building is gone

I remember this opening in the other thread, never noticed it driving thru lk myself, im guessing it didnt get the footfall?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,873 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Awkward place for it. I could never tell from the sign what it was. Hpw many people know what an anti cafe is? Guess it was more aimed at students anyway. I did notice the sign changed from being 24 hours to set hours.

byte

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Awkward place for it. I could never tell from the sign what it was. Hpw many people know what an anti cafe is? Guess it was more aimed at students anyway. I did notice the sign changed from being 24 hours to set hours.
    Indeed, I was wondering what an anti-cafe was myself!

Unlike in a normal café, you do not pay for what you drink and eat, but for the time you spend in the space, according to Wikipedia.

Every day is an education :)

byte

The Italian restaurant that replaced Toscana in Donegal Town seems to have closed now, with a To Let sign in the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Anyone know what the deal is with the bottom of the Main St in Letterkenny? Seems the entire stretch from McCaffertys to the Wolfe Tone is now derelict and vacant with 'for sale' signs on nearly every building.

I know its always been a fairly run down part of the town but seems worse than ever at the moment

• Advertisement

"Avocado Buffet" on Letterkenny Main St. closed already by the look of things

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

What happened to Cafe Davitt on the High Road in Letterkenny?

Passing along Pearse Rd in Letterkenny I see 'Furniture Liquidator' appears to be in liquidation or at least there's a closing down sale on.

Chinese takeaway in Convoy seems to have closed, had to go kebab the last night :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭JoannieG

I believe Brown's on the Green at Letterkenny Golf Club are closing. A friend tried to book for a date in November and he was told that they'd be closed by then. Apparently they're moving to Colerine Golf Club, but bar food will still be available in Barnhill. :(

I see the Leader, free Letterkenny paper, what can only described as an obituary for the Swilly Inn which apparently closed on Sunday night.
    Coldest pub I ever set foot in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

Passing along Pearse Rd in Letterkenny I see 'Furniture Liquidator' appears to be in liquidation or at least there's a closing down sale on.

That sign was there the day they opened. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭Technique

I see the Leader, free Letterkenny paper, what can only described as an obituary for the Swilly Inn which apparently closed on Sunday night.
    Coldest pub I ever set foot in.

Reopening on Monday under new management apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

JoannieG wrote: »
    I believe Brown's on the Green at Letterkenny Golf Club are closing. A friend tried to book for a date in November and he was told that they'd be closed by then. Apparently they're moving to Colerine Golf Club, but bar food will still be available in Barnhill. :(
    Yes, got a text to say that their last service will be on Sunday 27th. Vouchers can still be used for the bar food.
    Was there for Sunday lunch a few weeks ago and it was excellent but only a few tables occupied. Sorry to see them go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Pique wrote: »
    That sign was there the day they opened. :)

Furniture shops always seem to be in perpetual 'closing down' / liquidation mode, presumably some sort of marketing ploy

Advertisement