Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Snooker Championship 2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Day showing a lot of character here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

And 9-8 it is. Would love to see a decider here!

Barring a snooker it's 9-9. Ding under it now !

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Even though I predicted 10-7 to Ding, I put a cheeky bet on Day to win 10-9. Hopefully it'll pay off :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Ya gotta love a final frame decider. Snooker at its best!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Ah Day. :(

• Advertisement

Ah Day! :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Unreal, 38 points ahead (or whatever it was) and he fluffs an easy red. Pressure of the deciding frame I guess.

Let's see what Day can make of it.

Yes. Get in! 50 quid thank you very much!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Wow, what a comback! Ding messed up badly.

Even though I predicted 10-7 to Ding, I put a cheeky bet on Day to win 10-9. Hopefully it'll pay off :D

Another seed goes, congrats Cherryghost, I'd say you got decent enough odds there.
    This tournament just gets better and better !!

Can't wait to go back over.

That win secures Ryan Day's top 32 status too. Jamie Jones also guaranteed a top 32 place too after his epic win. Of course both players won't even be thinking of such a thing, great to see so many surprises. We could see a 4th Welshman at LEAST into the next round if Dale wins against Trump this afternoon. I'm very interested to see how Williams plays though, so I'll have both tables on :)

7 seeds gone out in the first round so far, Selby Williams and Carter watch out !!

PauloMN wrote: »
    Wow, what a comback! Ding messed up badly.

Aye you'd think with all the experience he wouldn't choke. Just goes to show really.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭TheHopeful

This is definately the biggest shock of the 1st round for me. Never saw it coming. After Ding in the masters, and Days woeful form!
    I had money on Ding outright too, ah well! He deserved to lose, hats off to Day. I still have Ronnie and Maguire.

I dont fancy Selby to come back, or Carter to win either to be honest. Gotta love the underdogs :D

Looking forward to see how Williams plays too. Hopefully he can set up a cracker vrs Ronnie.

• Advertisement

I hav'nt known a world championship with so many seeds going out so early. It's absolutely fantastic for the game that all these lower ranked players are now getting the recognition they deserve. They should all form a que and shake Barry Hearns hand one by one, he has opened up the game by listening to what every player wanted and that was to play more snooker.

We probably would never have seen the likes of Jamie Jones, Andrew Higginson or any of the Chinese players except for Ding, Fu or Wenbo who were already established players.

The increase from 6 to 30 events per season has really helped the lower ranked players gain that all important experience, experience they would never have got in the past regimes of Sir Rodney Walker and Co.

Even players such as Lee and Ebdon who were once top 10 players but fell by the wayside have suddenly found themselves back in the winners circle again and thats all thanks to playing more snooker. You can practise ten hours a dy in the club but there is simply no substitute for tournament play.

For too long the top players were protected by their guaranteed ranking but that's all changed now, the biggest example being seven time winner Hendry having to qualify for the Cruicble. Before if you were ranked in the top 16 at the start of the season you automatically qualified for every event, not any more. It will get even better now with the announcement that the rankings will now be based on money won, so if your a winner or frequently in the business end of tournaments your ranking will show that.

So yes there has been plenty of shocks so far over the last five days but should we be so surprised when we see the amount of snooker these qualifiers and lesser known players have played?

The last qualifier to win the World's was Shaun Murphy, could we see another one next Monday week??

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

Great tournament, 7 of the top 16 have been knocked out so far in the first round.

Seems a lot of the Cruicble audience have let their feelings know to Williams with a chorus of boos when he was introduced today re his recent comments.

Looks like Ding is the latest sore loser this week, comments from his press conference include, ' The fans are rubbish' and 'The table is not right' !!

More to follow.....

Dale 7-6 at the break, this has 10-9 written all over it, to who it's anyone's guess !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭radiata

zack01 wrote: »
    Looks like Ding is the latest sore loser this week, comments from his press conference include, ' The fans are rubbish' and 'The table is not right' !!

More to follow.....

I didn't think Ding was like that, i thought he was a very quiet person. he never seems to show his emotions anyways.
    C'mon give us another 147!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Anyone want to be a dear and tell me who the 7 seeds knocked out are? I know Ding and Murphy are gone.
    Wish I had sky in my college house!

Upset on the cards on the Dale/Trump match?

Anyone want to be a dear and tell me who the 7 seeds knocked out are? I know Ding and Murphy are gone.
    Wish I had sky in my college house!

Gould, Allen, Murphy, Bingham, Lee, Dott, Ding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

How could I forget Allen with that ending! Have to say I laughed a little, I'm the biggest fan of Allen ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Well the Trump v Dale match ended with a bit plenty of drama. Between the snookers, flukes, kicks, great long pots, and a calamity of errors - I was right on the edge of my seat for the last frame I'll tell you that!
    Trump showed flashes of brilliance, although a few days rest from his bout of food poisoning will certainly do him a lot of good. I like Dominic Dale (mainly for the various myths surrounding him as a character :P) but he's quite inconsistent when he's in the balls, which really let him down again today.

Advertisement