Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Championship Discussion

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

Nuts102 wrote: »
    How can you say he may have missed the boat he is in his twenties. He has plenty of years ahead of him and is the No.1 player in the world. Find that a bizarre thing to say. Not the greatest player to watch but he is a class act. He has struggled a bit and the standard has got better but he is still ranked as the best player in the world.

It's not really a bizzare thing to say when you take into account his form over the last two seasons and especially his form going into this years championships.yes he is a class act when he is playing well but as i said in terms of winning the world championships i feel he may have missed his chance. It's just my opinion.

My god you dont think Mark Allen is gifted and world class. He is an unbelievable player and in the top 16 not being as good as Ronnie doesnt mean is not world class. He is an exceptional break builder and one of the most naturally talented players around.

Im backing Mark Allen to win it outright in good form and love watching him play. My worry about him is he seems to miss an easy ball alot of the time to get over the line in his matches. Would love to see him win it he is a great character.

Allen certainly is a great player and rightly so ranked in the top 16, but i have to agree with risteard7 that i don't think he has the temperment to win the world championships, not yet anyway, he has a lot to learn yet, yes his temperment is suspect but also his behaviour and respect towards his fellow players is awful, if he did win he would'nt be one of the popular champions, well outside of Northern Ireland anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Personally I really can't call it until I see how everybody plays in the first round - a lot of the top players have been quite unpredictable in terms of form this season. Ronnie is always a bit of a risky bet, Judd Trump can either play at near-superhuman levels or throw a match away with outrageous shot selection (either way - exciting to watch though!), Ding, Allen, Williams, Dott, Higgins etc have all had their ups and downs this season also. Neil Robertson is the only person I'd feel comfortable with throwing a few gold coins on, as zack has suggested also. They were re-showing his match against Murphy from the masters finals on Eurosport the other day, and he clinched the winning frame with a fantastic long red - a serious pressure pot that showed great temperament.

Daddio wrote: »
    Personally I really can't call it until I see how everybody plays in the first round - a lot of the top players have been quite unpredictable in terms of form this season. Ronnie is always a bit of a risky bet, Judd Trump can either play at near-superhuman levels or throw a match away with outrageous shot selection (either way - exciting to watch though!), Ding, Allen, Williams, Dott, Higgins etc have all had their ups and downs this season also. Neil Robertson is the only person I'd feel comfortable with throwing a few gold coins on, as zack has suggested also. They were re-showing his match against Murphy from the masters finals on Eurosport the other day, and he clinched the winning frame with a fantastic long red - a serious pressure pot that showed great temperament.

I personally think Robertson is a better player now than what he was when he won the worlds two years ago.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

I'm actually getting excited now. I have a feeling this year is going to be one of those vintage ones...:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

To be honest, with the way the rankings have gone this is one of the best ever first round line-ups ever.

Roll on Saturday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

In my opinion there's only 3/4 players for that can do it, Ronnie, Higgins, Maguire and Robortson. They have the game for the long matches.

Trump, Selby, Allen haven't got the game this season for me.

Personally I'm not sure if Trump or Allen will ever win the World title. And I have to agree with Zack01, I think Selby has missed the boat when it comes to winning the world title. Look at Matthew Stevens for example, he has chance to win the world title (twice finalist I think?) and you certainly can't see him ever winning another title again, never mind a world title!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,731 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Dylanmc111 wrote: »
    In my opinion there's only 3/4 players for that can do it, Ronnie, Higgins, Maguire and Robortson. They have the game for the long matches.

Trump, Selby, Allen haven't got the game this season for me.

Personally I'm not sure if Trump or Allen will ever win the World title. And I have to agree with Zack01, I think Selby has missed the boat when it comes to winning the world title. Look at Matthew Stevens for example, he has chance to win the world title (twice finalist I think?) and you certainly can't see him ever winning another title again, never mind a world title!

Stevens got bored with the game and started going playing poker tournaments and cut back on the practice. Same happened with Doherty, Williams and Hendry. Mark Selby is very dedicated pro and is a level above Stevens not my favourite player but he will win at least one World Championship. Also have to disagree about Trump he is only 23 and still maturing as a player. He got to the final last year and is having a good season this year a definate World Champion could win a few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

I reckon robertson will win it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭IsMiseJoe

I hope the BBC are not going to go down the same route as their coverage of the Darts went this year. Barely any live coverage just highlights.
    The snooker seems more popular than the BDO darts so hopefully the coverage will be better

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

IsMiseJoe wrote: »
    I hope the BBC are not going to go down the same route as their coverage of the Darts went this year. Barely any live coverage just highlights.
    The snooker seems more popular than the BDO darts so hopefully the coverage will be better

BBC are showing the morning sessions on their HD Channel only, the afternoon sessions on BBC1 and 2, and they're not showing the evening sessions. They're showing highlights late in the day.

Eurosport are covering everything on both their channels.

Stevens got bored with the game and started going playing poker tournaments and cut back on the practice. Same happened with Doherty, Williams and Hendry. Mark Selby is very dedicated pro and is a level above Stevens not my favourite player but he will win at least one World Championship. Also have to disagree about Trump he is only 23 and still maturing as a player. He got to the final last year and is having a good season this year a definate World Champion could win a few.

Trump i'm sure will win a world championship, he's still a very raw talent and is still learning the game, what happened him last year when he buckled under the pressure that Higgins put him under may stand to him this year if he finds himself in a similiar position. He has the talent that there is no doubt but you do not win a world championship just by banging balls in at 100mph, he needs to learn the matchplay end of things. Look at every player that has won the world title in the last ten years, each one of them was prepared to grind out session after session if needed be. Trump just does'nt have that, he gets frustrated, begins to hit the ball harder and hands the advantage to his opponent. By winning the UK this season he has shown he can win a major but lets not forget the earlier rounds were shortened from best of 17 to best of 11 frames a format that suited him more than anyone i think.

My thoughts on Selby remain unchanged, i do fancy him to beat Hawkins, Hawkins has always struggled at the Cruicble, he will then play Stevens or Fu in the second round over 25 frames. Out of the four players in that part of the draw Selby is the strongest but the quarter finals is about as good as i think it will get for him this year.

zack01 wrote: »
    I personally think Robertson is a better player now than what he was when he won the worlds two years ago.
    Agreed - he's one of the few players who manages to remain consistent and keep a level head, no matter what the tournament is. He's participated and done well (won 2, iirc) in most of the PTCs this season, has had plenty of semi/quarter final appearances, and had a good win at the Masters.

Then again, as always at the World Championships, I am prepared to be surprised!

Dave Hendon has a good write-up on his snooker scene blog about his predictions for the first round. Thoughts, anyone?

http://snookerscene.blogspot.com/2012/04/crucible-countdown-first-round.html
    http://snookerscene.blogspot.com/2012/04/crucible-countdown-more-first-round.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Robertson
    Dott E/W
    Murphy

Just for interest

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

My god you dont think Mark Allen is gifted and world class. He is an unbelievable player and in the top 16 not being as good as Ronnie doesnt mean is not world class. He is an exceptional break builder and one of the most naturally talented players around.

Im backing Mark Allen to win it outright in good form and love watching him play. My worry about him is he seems to miss an easy ball alot of the time to get over the line in his matches. Would love to see him win it he is a great character.
    Dont get me wrong Allen is a very good player, but i think his attitude is poor at times, and i dont think hes a winner. Might sound harsh but i cant see him anywhere near a world title soon. Just my opinion

Daddio wrote: »
    Dave Hendon has a good write-up on his snooker scene blog about his predictions for the first round. Thoughts, anyone?

http://snookerscene.blogspot.com/2012/04/crucible-countdown-first-round.html
    http://snookerscene.blogspot.com/2012/04/crucible-countdown-more-first-round.html

Hmm. I think Hendry will beat Bingham and Brecel will do one over on Maguire, personally...

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭TheHopeful

I think the semi finalists will be Maguire, Trump, Ronnie, and Ding.
    And Im going with Ding to win.

Cant wait now! Roll on tomorrow!

Some very interesting 1st round matches. Mainly Ronnie/Ebdon. Id say Ronnie's delighted with that draw :P of all the people! Ebdon in great form too it seems. And hopefully Ken can push Robertson close!

I can't see Selby, Higgins, or Williams going too close with their form this season. But you never know with Higgins, he's a gritty fcuker who seems to play $hite a lot and still win!

TheHopeful wrote: »
    But you never know with Higgins, he's a gritty fcuker who seems to play $hite a lot and still win!

...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Obair979

No one beats the good old Ken Doherty. He was brillo in the 1997 championship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

Lads im working 2moro does anybody know is bbc 1 or eurosport showing kens match? I want to record it on the planner but can only record one chanel. The tv guide doesnt say anything

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

BBC will have the table one match, which isn't the Ken match I think. Ken's match will be on the red button. Eurosport 2 i think is showing table 2, and eurosport 1 is showing table 1

EDIT: Eurosport 2 are showing Ken's match from 4pm onwards only :(

BBC will have the table one match, which isn't the Ken match I think. Ken's match will be on the red button. Eurosport 2 i think is showing table 2, and eurosport 1 is showing table 1

EDIT: Eurosport 2 are showing Ken's match from 4pm onwards only :(

Just rechecked the schedule, your spot on Cherryghost

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

UPC is great for broadband, but I miss the red button for the snooker :(

What is the Eurosport commentary like?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 JBarnes1986

You don't have to listen to Willie Thorne,that's a big plus for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭theflash

i miss that too. the commentary is shocking. i prefer bbc.

Ex players Mike Hallett and Joe Johnson, with snooker journos Phil Yates and Dave Hendon, they had Alan McManus on before and he was great to listen to. Good commentating considering they are doing it from the Eurosport studio in north London but personal I prefer the BBC even if Dennis Taylor keeps harping on about winning in '85 !

Ex players Mike Hallett and Joe Johnson, with snooker journos Phil Yates and Dave Hendon, they had Alan McManus on before and he was great to listen to. Good commentating considering they are doing it from the Eurosport studio in north London but personal I prefer the BBC even if Dennis Taylor keeps harping on about winning in '85 !
    I do like the Eurosport coverage I have to say,apart from Joe Johnson fiddling with the microphone constantly(what does he be doing?)When Thorne & Virgo are commentating together,they really get on my wick.I wonder will the powers that be allow the great Mr.Everton some airtime this year?

I do like the Eurosport coverage I have to say,apart from Joe Johnson fiddling with the microphone constantly(what does he be doing?)When Thorne & Virgo are commentating together,they really get on my wick.I wonder will the powers that be allow the great Mr.Everton some airtime this year?

Everton without doubt is one of if not the best commentator there has ever been, the way he was treated by the BBC was nothing short of disgraceful, I can understand the logic behind bringing in Doherty, Foulds and Hendry as commentators as they bring something fresh but surely it must be time to retire John 'where's the cue ball going' Virgo? He uses the same old lines every year !!
    No matter who they bring in , they will never replace Everton.

• Advertisement

Everton without doubt is one of if not the best commentator there has ever been, the way he was treated by the BBC was nothing short of disgraceful, I can understand the logic behind bringing in Doherty, Foulds and Hendry as commentators as they bring something fresh but surely it must be time to retire John 'where's the cue ball going' Virgo? He uses the same old lines every year !!
    No matter who they bring in , they will never replace Everton.
    I'll second that alright.The man is like a walking encyclopedia of snooker.

Advertisement