Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How British are You?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

To be entirely fair, the number of Irish people arrested for anti-social behaviour abroad is extremely small, as the Dept of Foreign Affairs will attest. Furthermore, any Irish involved in the murder and destruction of the Middle East are acting as military operatives of the British (or possibly US) army, not the Irish Army, under orders from the British government (or American) not the Irish government. And there aren't very many of them either.

Actually, the Irish voted for the intervention in Afghanistan and a military presence there so yes, the Irish are very much involved in what is happening over there.

As for anti social behaviour abroad, you should see the drunken chavs running around Banalmadena in their Celtic, Man U and Liverpool shirts.....

Yes, because we let on were English when we get ourselves in trouble...
    Its all a conspiracy!

See above. The Spanish naturally believe that any drunken scumbag in a Man U or Celtic shirt is British.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Didn't Gerry Adams apologise not long ago to native Americans because of the Irish involvement in the killing of Native Americans?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Actually, the Irish voted for the intervention in Afghanistan and a military presence there so yes, the Irish are very much involved in what is happening over there.

How many Irish citizens incidentally do you believe are involved in Afghanistan? I can inform you that there are 7 Irish military personnel based in Kabul in strictly non-combatant roles, no Gardai whatsoever, and that all other Irish there are aid workers. So no, actually, the Irish aren't involved in Britain's latest colonial enterprise.
    And Iraq?
    As for anti social behaviour abroad, you should see the drunken chavs running around Banalmadena in their Celtic, Man U and Liverpool shirts.....

And yet, despite getting drunk, they don't commit the anti-social behaviour so widely associated with the British. Fewer than 300 Irish citizens were arrested abroad last year, only a fraction of which related to anti-social activities.

How many Irish citizens incidentally do you believe are involved in Afghanistan? I can inform you that there are 7 Irish military personnel based in Kabul in strictly non-combatant roles, no Gardai whatsoever, and that all other Irish there are aid workers. So no, actually, the Irish aren't involved in Britain's latest colonial enterprise.
    And Iraq?

And yet, despite getting drunk, they don't commit the anti-social behaviour so widely associated with the British. Fewer than 300 Irish citizens were arrested abroad last year, only a fraction of which related to anti-social activities.

Ireland voted for ISAF at the UN, it has a military presence there. Ireland is involved. The fact that Ireland choses to underspend on its armed forces means they can't play an active role, that is all.

Iraq was a religious crusade from a man who is frankly no longer involved in British politics.

• Advertisement

Ireland voted for ISAF at the UN, it has a military presence there. Ireland is involved. The fact that Ireland choses to underspend on its armed forces means they can't play an active role, that is all.

Yet, Ireland is more than able to provide plenty of men for UN peacekeeping duties in a number of other places. Don't be silly, Fred. There are 7 non-combatant Irish military in a Kabul office. That's all there ever has been. We aren't involved, any more than Iceland are involved in Britain's failing conquest of the Kush.
    Iraq was a religious crusade from a man who is frankly no longer involved in British politics.

So why are you still there then, killing the locals and making yourselves unpopular with the Muslim world? Oh, I forgot. It's probably our fault somehow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Not to mention Pompey ,Chelsea and any other team you care to mention . It's sad that the football top has become a symbol of trouble even if it's just worn by many as a ' casual ' fashion statement .

Yet, Ireland is more than able to provide plenty of men for UN peacekeeping duties in a number of other places. Don't be silly, Fred. There are 7 non-combatant Irish military in a Kabul office. That's all there ever has been. We aren't involved, any more than Iceland are involved in Britain's failing conquest of the Kush.
    its not Britain's conquest, it is a UN operation, one which THE IRISH VOTED FOR AT THE UN AND CONTRIBUTE MILITARY MAN POWER TO. what is difficult to understand about that?

So why are you still there then, killing the locals and making yourselves unpopular with the Muslim world? Oh, I forgot. It's probably our fault somehow?

You should really get with the programme.

its not Britain's conquest, it is a UN operation, one which THE IRISH VOTED FOR AT THE UN AND CONTRIBUTE MILITARY MAN POWER TO. what is difficult to understand about that?

Your assertion that the Irish are involved in combat with Afghans on their sovereign soil when we have no combatants there, only aid workers.
    As for 'it's not Britain's conquest', well that's true enough. The locals are cleaning you out, as they've done to all invaders since Alexander.

This programme, you mean? No thanks. I'm proud my nation isn't involved in your bloodbath.

FYI: You never left.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Just because the killing has ended doesn't mean it didn't happen.
    http://www.eirigi.org/audio/xfactorhero.mpg

• Advertisement

Your assertion that the Irish are involved in combat with Afghans on their sovereign soil when we have no combatants there, only aid workers.
    As for 'it's not Britain's conquest', well that's true enough. The locals are cleaning you out, as they've done to all invaders since Alexander.

NOT ****ING AID WORKERS.

The Irish, as in the people of Ireland, as in anyone who pays taxes here is supporting the ISAF operation in Afghanistan. how hard is that to understand? I know it is a bit difficult to comprehend, because there is a section of society here who enjoy being moralistic and criticising everything the British and Americans do, but I'm afraid this time you will have to accept that the Irish government is in full support of the ISAF mission in Afghanistan.
    This programme, you mean? No thanks. I'm proud my nation isn't involved in your bloodbath.

FYI: You never left.

and that proves my point. the typical "We're better than you" sort of thing i would expect.

Just because the killing has ended doesn't mean it didn't happen.
    http://www.eirigi.org/audio/xfactorhero.mpg

err, are you seriously putting a link to the eirigi site on a semi serious discussion?

NOT ****ING AID WORKERS.

The Irish, as in the people of Ireland, as in anyone who pays taxes here is supporting the ISAF operation in Afghanistan. how hard is that to understand? I know it is a bit difficult to comprehend, because there is a section of society here who enjoy being moralistic and criticising everything the British and Americans do, but I'm afraid this time you will have to accept that the Irish government is in full support of the ISAF mission in Afghanistan.
    I have yet to see any evidance of murders committed by Irish in the middle east.
    I'm not saying that all British people are bad just because of their army, many decent people condemn the actions of the scum in Iraq and Afganistan, and to be fair many more would if it wasn't for the propaganda machine in the media over there.

err, are you seriously putting a link to the eirigi site on a semi serious discussion?
    Eirigi made the video and it was removed from youtube etc. It is a collage of photos and video.

I have yet to see any evidance of murders committed by Irish in the middle east.
    I'm not saying that all British people are bad just because of their army, many decent people condemn the actions of the scum in Iraq and Afganistan, and to be fair many more would if it wasn't for the propaganda machine in the media over there.

oh ffs.

Eirigi made the video and it was removed from youtube etc. It is a collage of photos and video.

eirigi are scum.

eirigi are scum.
    Point taken:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I have been over in the UK for since July 2010 and unfortunately I have to put up with the BBC which is basically the national cheer leader. Nothing wrong with that but it does get quite sickening.

The BBC and media at any given opportunity they try to claim credit for, well anything:

"Great British this Great British that"..christ I thought we were bad in Ireland for trying to link ourselves with foreign achievements. In fact if they cannot link a British person with something, they do not want to know about it.

But the last week and all the talk about the Titanic was interesting.

If the sailing had been a success we would have the whole "Great British ship the Titanic, a truimph for British engineering blah blah blah we are great"

Hilariously, over the last week not one single BBC report or paper article have I seen the word "British" associated with the disaster. I pointed this out to my British wife and she could not deny it.

As Jeremy Paxman observed recently, the British like their heros...dead.

Just an observation...:)

NOT ****ING AID WORKERS.

I forgot you're English. I'll go slowly for you. Seven. Non-combatant. blokes. in. an. office. Plus Irish Aid workers. That's the entire and complete extent of Irish involvement in Afghanistan and has been since your country and America decided to invade it.

and that proves my point. the typical "We're better than you" sort of thing i would expect.

When it comes to not murdering Muslim civilians in other people's countries, yes. Yes, we are.
    See, Fred. There is a REASON why the stereotype of the welcome Irish and unwelcome British exists. That reason is down to how the nationalities of both countries conduct themselves abroad. It's down to our not invading other sovereign nations and murdering their populace. It's down to our sports fans not destroying other nations' cities during tournaments. It's down to only a handful of Irish arrests abroad for antisocial behaviour each year compared to tens of thousands of your compatriots.
    And that is why it is so important for the Irish to make themselves known as not British when we go abroad, because we do not want to be mistaken for rioting drunken louts whose government invades Muslim countries and murders the locals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭AEDIC

My view on this is a bit simplistic and I dont apologise for that...

'British' is a term that most people dont identify as, most English will say they are English, most Scots will say they are Scottish and most Welsh will say they are Welsh before they will say they are British. A lot of people confuse 'British' with English and vise versa.

Most English, Scottish and Welsh people would probably answer the op the same way.... How British are you....not much.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

eirigi are scum.

na, invading countries that kill millions throughout centuries are scum.

I forgot you're English. I'll go slowly for you. Seven. Non-combatant. blokes. in. an. office. Plus Irish Aid workers. That's the entire and complete extent of Irish involvement in Afghanistan and has been since your country and America decided to invade it.

When it comes to not murdering Muslim civilians in other people's countries, yes. Yes, we are.
    See, Fred. There is a REASON why the stereotype of the welcome Irish and unwelcome British exists. That reason is down to how the nationalities of both countries conduct themselves abroad. It's down to our not invading other sovereign nations and murdering their populace. It's down to our sports fans not destroying other nations' cities during tournaments. It's down to only a handful of Irish arrests abroad for antisocial behaviour each year compared to tens of thousands of your compatriots.
    And that is why it is so important for the Irish to make themselves known as not British when we go abroad, because we do not want to be mistaken for rioting drunken louts whose government invades Muslim countries and murders the locals.

I guess the more personal the insults become, the more desperate the poster is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Over the past 20 years or so I have been to Spain on the usual package holiday and for some strange reason, we (the irish) like to play the 'holier than thou' approach when sneering at the English louts.

I have seen plenty of beer bellies in Arnott's GAA jerseys swanning around Salou or where ever and if I was Spanish, quite frankly, I would not tell the difference.

We look the same, speak the same language, eat the same food, drink the same beer. I have heard plenty of drunken Irish accents at night time embarrassing themselves.

Think of the scene in any irish bar in Sydney...and we think we are better!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

You couldn't resist the "the whole world Hates the Brits, but love the Irish" dig, despite the fact that the Irish play a part in our poor reputation.

Hmmm. Don't think the Irish can take the blame for the annual trashing of Ayia Napa, Malia, Kusadasi, etc, etc. Nor the three lions rampages at soccer tournaments. Nor the incursions into sovereign Iraq and Afghanistan, complete with appalling civilian casualties. Nor any of the contemporary reasons the British are unwelcome visitors across large swathes of the planet.
    But I look forward to your attempts to explain why that's all our fault. Should be amusing.

Extraordinary rendition at Shannon Airport anyone?

Bush and Blair have both been guests of this nation.

As for drunken yobs refer to March 17 or any weekend in this country!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

"Scum" is a bit rich dontcha think? The vast majority of the men and women on the ground are doing what they see as their duty and looking after their mates(like soldiers always have). The wider political stuff passes most of them by. If you're a working class kid from Huddersfield brought up on the jingoism you'll likely buy into it. It's all to easy to think you wouldn't but the main reason you don't is purely because of an accident of birth. Do I abhor what's going on over there? Hell yes. Do I think they should eff off out of it? Yes but put the UN peacekeepers in properly. Do I think the guys on the ground are scum? No. Just as I don't label the Taliban similarly.
    "Great British this Great British that"..christ I thought we were bad in Ireland for trying to link ourselves with foreign achievements. In fact if they cannot link a British person with something, they do not want to know about it
    We're very similar that way. Same with any interview with some famous type "please please tell us you love the UK/Ireland. Even better if you've rellies here".
    But the last week and all the talk about the Titanic was interesting.

If the sailing had been a success we would have the whole "Great British ship the Titanic, a truimph for British engineering blah blah blah we are great"

Hilariously, over the last week not one single BBC report or paper article have I seen the word "British" associated with the disaster. I pointed this out to my British wife and she could not deny it.
    Yea lots of mentions of Belfast alright. Even Cork. "The paddies fecked it up" :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

NinjaK wrote: »
    na, invading countries that kill millions throughout centuries are scum.
    Yea, but don't forget there were an awful lot of Irishmen involved in that empire building*. From top to bottom in the ranks too.

*Not just under the Union Jack either, but under the Stars and Stripes too. The US 7th cavalry in the Indian wars was damn near an Irish regiment, even down to it's regimental marching song.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I have been over in the UK for since July 2010 and unfortunately I have to put up with the BBC which is basically the national cheer leader. Nothing wrong with that but it does get quite sickening.

The BBC and media at any given opportunity they try to claim credit for, well anything:

"Great British this Great British that"..christ I thought we were bad in Ireland for trying to link ourselves with foreign achievements. In fact if they cannot link a British person with something, they do not want to know about it.

Irish Times, Irish Independent, to be serious for a moment the Great British Bake-Off type titles seem to spring out of nowhere about 4 years ago, not sure why. For decades the BBC cowered from notions of the British nation, being so Politically Correct and "nation speak unto nation" in tone but I guess someone spotted a gap in the market and decided that the British were allowed to feel good about themselves on the telly, if an Irishman has a problem with that they should stop watching.

Wibbs wrote: »
    "Scum" is a bit rich dontcha think? The vast majority of the men and women on the ground are doing what they see as their duty and looking after their mates(like soldiers always have). The wider political stuff passes most of them by. If you're a working class kid from Huddersfield brought up on the jingoism you'll likely buy into it. It's all to easy to think you wouldn't but the main reason you don't is purely because of an accident of birth. Do I abhor what's going on over there? Hell yes. Do I think they should eff off out of it? Yes but put the UN peacekeepers in properly. Do I think the guys on the ground are scum? No. Just as I don't label the Taliban similarly.
    Possibly decades ago they were just dumb kids who didn't know any better but I think that every soldier who went into Iraq went there knowing what was happening there and prepared to kill. I know of one guy who served in Belfast in the 70's and said that he knew what they were doing was wrong but accepted it as necessary to "keep his country safe". That sort of person is the lowest of the low IMO.

As for the Taliban, I don't understand their politics or their slant on their religion but what I do understand is that they have a right to fight back in their own country against foreign aggressors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭AEDIC

'Possibly decades ago they were just dumb kids who didn't know any better but I think that every soldier who went into Iraq went there knowing what was happening there and prepared to kill. I know of one guy who served in Belfast in the 70's and said that he knew what they were doing was wrong but accepted it as necessary to "keep his country safe". That sort of person is the lowest of the low IMO.'

What you are describing there is every soldier in every army there ever was.... including the Irish Republican one...I dont see the point you are trying to make with that.

Advertisement