Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How British are You?

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

yup same, born in London to Irish parents. wouldn't consider myself English either

Interesting, this of course opens up a whole other argumant re where you are born & nationality, take children born in here in Ireland of Polish parentage, are they Polish or Irish? Going by your logic they are Polish (not Irish), although I suspect the reality is much more complicated than that, which may depend on things like how many years you spent there, your sense of belonging & identity, cultural leanings etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

LordSutch wrote: »
    Interesting, this of course opens up a whole other argumant re where you are born & nationality, take children born in here in Ireland of Polish parentage, are they Polish or Irish? Going by your logic they are Polish (not Irish), although I suspect the reality is much more complicated than that, which may depend on things like how many years you spent there, your sense of belonging & identity, cultural leanings etc.

He's speaking for himself, as he's entitled to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I asked someone born in England, to Irish parents did he feel more English or Irish. he said he considers himself a Londoner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Nodin wrote: »
    He's speaking for himself, as he's entitled to do.

Well spotted, but as I said in Post#336 "Interesting, this of course opens up a whole other argumant re where you are born & nationality" . . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

0% sasnach

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Nodin wrote: »
    Are you the thread police?
    Well spotted, but as I said in Post#336 "Interesting, this of course opens up a whole other argumant re where you are born & nationality" . . . .

"Being born in a stable doesn't make you a horse": said, I believe, by a Dublin-born Englishman.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

"Being born in a stable doesn't make you a horse": said, I believe, by a Dublin-born Englishman.

more like said by a kerryman about a meath born jackeen, what had to emigrate to get on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Daniel O'Connell was born in Kerry wasn't he?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Apparently he never actually said that(If it's Wellington we're speaking of).

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

What is exactly British or Irish ??????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Dudess wrote: »
    Music, TV, film, literature, theatre, sense of humour, journalism, Viz.

Are those really any different from Ireland?

Wibbs wrote: »
    Apparently he never actually said that(If it's Wellington we're speaking of).

I'm rather gratified to hear that, if it's the case. It always irked me that Dublin boasts a large monument to a man notorious for disowning the place of his own birth in such a derogatory fashion. This fact should be more widely publicised.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Dub Ste

Born in England and not British, so I guess that you're English then, or maybe Irish?

Not sure,ask Phil Lynott,Shane McGowan,Paul McGrath,Sean Moncrieff maybe??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'm rather gratified to hear that, if it's the case. It always irked me that Dublin boasts a large monument to a man notorious for disowning the place of his own birth in such a derogatory fashion. This fact should be more widely publicised.
    I agree. In fact it was Daniel O'Connell who said it of Wellingtons Irish birth. Wellington never made such a comparison. Wellington for his part suffered a lot of public outcry over his resolute support for Catholic emancipation, with his detractors screaming about his support for "popery". He was no republican, he saw himself as British(as did many Irish men and women at the time and not just Protestant), but he was no Cromwell either.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    I agree. In fact it was Daniel O'Connell who said it of Wellingtons Irish birth. Wellington never made such a comparison. Wellington for his part suffered a lot of public outcry over his resolute support for Catholic emancipation, with his detractors screaming about his support for "popery". He was no republican, he saw himself as British(as did many Irish men and women at the time and not just Protestant), but he was no Cromwell either.

The version I think I heard was that it had been said by Wellington in response to barracking from the opposition in parliament over his place of birth.
    Interesting that it was actually O'Connell who said it of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭Yeah Yeah Yeah

Well we're not refusing the big wads of British cash to bail out our banks are we?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

A bunch of foreigners going on about London

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Yomino66

No

• Registered Users Posts: 16,273 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

paddyandy wrote: »
    What is exactly British or Irish ??????

Huh? Well British means you are born in the UK mainland or if you are unionist in NI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

My great grandfather came from Scotland.

• Advertisement
Advertisement