Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New EPG coming to Sky+HD - Beta about to launch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭dublinbusdude

Karsini wrote: »
    DRX890/895 boxes with serial numbers starting with 4F31 will be the first to receive the new EPG. You can check it in the system details

Ah, thanks...Do you know if the Sky Box will work with a Gold Plated HDMI cable?

Ah, thanks...Do you know if the Sky Box will work with a Gold Plated HDMI cable?

Yeah it's fine, the plating on the cable makes no difference.

Yeah it's fine, the plating on the cable makes no difference.

Thanks for your help :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Dymo

Anyway to turn off Skys automatic update function? even by the installers menu or is there even a rollback feature?

Dymo wrote: »
    Anyway to turn off Skys automatic update function? even by the installers menu or is there even a rollback feature?

When Sky roll out new software, the older version is left on the download stream for troubleshooting. In theory you could do a forced software download on the box after receiving the new software and go back, but for how long I don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Woodie40

When Sky roll out new software, the older version is left on the download stream for troubleshooting. In theory you could do a forced software download on the box after receiving the new software and go back, but for how long I don't know.

That's interesting, how does one do this? Is this holding the back up button while plugging the sky box back in?

Woodie40 wrote: »
    That's interesting, how does one do this? Is this holding the back up button while plugging the sky box back in?
    That's right.

That's right.

Thanks I will try that once I get the update as I really like having the extra channels on the EPG.

That's right.
    Do you know how many hours after the update would you need to do the forced update, the next morning would be when most people will notice the update.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Will the forced update just re-download the latest epg?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭manutd83

This would be great if this worked,i dont want beta,want to keep my extra channels on my epg,my sky box will be one of the first done,does anyone know when the update will happen

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Kurn

There is an article on DS saying its being rolled out and some customers have it, anyone on here actually have it, aside from the beta testers?

manutd83 wrote: »
    This would be great if this worked,i dont want beta,want to keep my extra channels on my epg,my sky box will be one of the first done,does anyone know when the update will happen

If it does work, it won't be permanent. It will update again eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

Anybody receive it this morning?

gtg60 wrote: »
    Anybody receive it this morning?
    No not yet. Not looking for it either!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

jca wrote: »
    No not yet. Not looking for it either!!!

Its a small number outside of the beta testers who will be getting it. Ill try and find out how many on the beta forum......

Nope, we didnt on our two Sky+ boxes (the sitting room & my bro & mine in the bedroom) but got surround sound on it with the red/white cables on my bro & mine home cinema surround sound system today :D

Nope, we didnt on our two Sky+ boxes (the sitting room & my bro & mine in the bedroom) but got surround sound on it with the red/white cables on my bro & mine home cinema surround sound system today :D

Nice Setup! :P Sky didn't mention which group would be getting it first beyond the beta testers so... :(

You'll get true surround surround from the optical digital out. The red/white cinch outputs aren't half as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Any idea when the roll out of the new EPG will be complete? I have an Amstrad box (4F3102).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Kurn

blueser wrote: »
    Any idea when the roll out of the new EPG will be complete? I have an Amstrad box (4F3102).

It has started to the public - according to this article

You'll get true surround surround from the optical digital out. The red/white cinch outputs aren't half as good.

My bro & mine Home Cinema Surround Sound system doesnt have the optical digital out

johnmryan wrote: »
    It has started to the public - according to this article

Yep that is accurate - the beta was done on the amstrad 890 and 1TB boxes (895). They are the latest boxes plus sky own amstrad.

Its possible that due to this a roll out to other boxes like Pace and Samsung will be later on. Either way the roll out will be gradual and not all at once.

http://www.irishupandcomingmusicscene.tk/wordpressgaming/?p=266

Quoted:

What’s Next?

Hi,

We would like to give you some more information on the next steps for this software release and timescales of future software releases, as well as our view on the early release of software in future.

In terms of software releases, we have another feature release following this one in the next few months, and we expect another feature release late 2012/early 2013. In terms of the features in those releases the roadmap is commercially sensitive so any information on those will come from official marketing messages and we are not going to discuss those here.

We can however tell you that we certainly intend to bring the enhanced EPG to the other “Darwin” platforms, Pace HD, Samsung HD and DRX780. Given the success of the forum trial on the DRX89*, we will probably do an early release for those platforms also. We will not be updating the Thomson HD platform as previously stated.

What’s next for you and for this software release? As you know, we rolled out version 49.19 to you this week. Your detailed feedback about your experiences has greatly helped us to prioritise the defects that had to be fixed before we could bring the enhanced EPG to a wider audience. As a result of the excellent dialogue we’ve had with you here, we are pretty confident with version 49.19, confident enough that this is likely to be our release candidate for the next stage of rollout.

We know that not all the bugs you reported are fixed, but we are also aware that there is a further release within a few months so we’ll be continuing work on bug fixes to go into that version, which is already in parallel development and approaching early stage trials.

In terms of the early release of software to the forum group, we feel this has been a highly positive step, and we really appreciate your engagement and all the feedback you have provided. This has been extremely valuable to us and we will certainly be planning to continue this approach. This may sometimes involve early access to features, but not always, as sometimes we pre-release box code in preparation for changes in other back end systems. In these cases your feedback on stability will be really valuable if you are willing to help us.

Thank you again for your enthusiastic participation on this forum! We are still of course listening to issues and feedback you post LINK REMOVED, and we have a roadmap of future releases where we will continue to improve the enhanced EPG as well as develop new features, so all your feedback is still important to us.

Sky Guide Development Team

Quoted:

Hi All,

As previously announced, we are proceeding to the next stage of rollout for the enhanced Sky Guide, and version 49.20 will be sent to your set top boxes in the early hours of tomorrow morning. As part of our gradual roll-out of the enhanced Sky Guide, we will also be sharing this version with a small group of Sky customers who have not been part of the early release process.

Version 49.20 contains an additional fix on top of 49.19, to address an issue with reminders/recording on certain PPV/Subscription channels.

Please continue to give us your suggestions and tell us about any issues that you see. We will be in touch in due course to discuss early access to the next software release.

Thanks,

Quoted:

Hi All,

As previously announced, we are proceeding to the next stage of rollout for the enhanced Sky Guide, and version 49.20 will be sent to your set top boxes in the early hours of tomorrow morning. As part of our gradual roll-out of the enhanced Sky Guide, we will also be sharing this version with a small group of Sky customers who have not been part of the early release process.

Version 49.20 contains an additional fix on top of 49.19, to address an issue with reminders/recording on certain PPV/Subscription channels.

Please continue to give us your suggestions and tell us about any issues that you see. We will be in touch in due course to discuss early access to the next software release.

Thanks,

That is the latest I have news wise folks

I'm signed up for these I reach surveys. I just completed one on TV viewing. It was all about sky being interested in putting the ITV's on the Irish epg. I said I viewed them through other channels and would love to have them on the epg to be able to pause rewind,series link etc. Obviously I didn't say I was part of the "card trick" gang. Have they finally realised they have a strong following here. We could get them yet.

I'm signed up for these I reach surveys. I just completed one on TV viewing. It was all about sky being interested in putting the ITV's on the Irish epg. I said I viewed them through other channels and would love to have them on the epg to be able to pause rewind,series link etc. Obviously I didn't say I was part of the "card trick" gang. Have they finally realised they have a strong following here. We could get them yet.

All the uk HD channels on UK sky+HD epg placed on the Irish EPG would be awesome too :P

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

TV3 would have to go out of business before we get itv on sky.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

greendom wrote: »
    TV3 would have to go out of business before we get itv on sky.

it was TV3 that caused ITV's to drop from the UPC EPG last year. They're back now though

TV3 are basically ITV Ireland

Advertisement