Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free channels on sky

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,822 ✭✭✭✭muffler

dogtoffee wrote: »
    I still cant get it to stick on the EPG I have tried all the above
    Have you made sure that it is in the "other channels" first and then do the card trick? And also make sure that it's not a Thompson brand box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭dogtoffee

muffler wrote: »
    Have you made sure that it is in the "other channels" first and then do the card trick? And also make sure that it's not a Thompson brand box.
    Right I got it to work it had to do with UTV in other channels as soon as I deleted it ITVhd appeared on the EPG with out me doing card trick but it was just my luck it was the out of sync ITV lol

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Longrangedriver

First of thanks to Muffler for the Sellotanta card info.

I received my card this morning and have done the 'trick'.

I have all the channels (except Five HD) Irish/Uk, which is fine, but with just the Uk card (Central West) in I can't get Five HD on 171, is this right?

Thanks in advance for any help.

PS - only asking as I've seen posts from others on the two threads regarding these matters, saying people are receiving Five HD on the UK card?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

Five HD is scrambled and only available with an active UK FTV card.

gtg60 wrote: »
    Five HD is scrambled and only available with an active UK FTV card.

Its not even showing blocked on the epg, ie no 171, itv 2-4hd are there, but blocked.

Card is obviously active if I can view all other channels on epg, though!

Thanks

• Advertisement

Its not even showing blocked on the epg, ie no 171, itv 2-4hd are there, but blocked.

Card is obviously active if I can view all other channels on epg, though!

Thanks

No, you have an active IRISH FTV card, you need an active UK one.

gtg60 wrote: »
    No, you have an active IRISH FTV card, you need an active UK one.

Thanks, sometimes its better to think before I type!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Just want to check a few things before I try this. Got Sky installed the other so ordered the card off Setanta. So just got a confirmation email off them to say the card is on its way, all within an hour of ordering. On my epg I'm missing UTV/ITV and C5. I have added them into the other channels list. So when I do the card trick these channels will now be in my EPG but what will happen to my other channels if ITV comes in on 103 and C5 on 105. Is it a case of loosing TV3 and 3e or are channels moved around so I will have every channel in the EPG.

aaronm13 wrote: »
    Just want to check a few things before I try this. Got Sky installed the other so ordered the card off Setanta. So just got a confirmation email off them to say the card is on its way, all within an hour of ordering. On my epg I'm missing UTV/ITV and C5. I have added them into the other channels list. So when I do the card trick these channels will now be in my EPG but what will happen to my other channels if ITV comes in on 103 and C5 on 105. Is it a case of loosing TV3 and 3e or are channels moved around so I will have every channel in the EPG.
    No, you will retain all channels. You will have 2 channel 103's (ITV & TV3) and 2 channel 105's (Channel 5 & E3) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

muffler wrote: »
    No, you will retain all channels. You will have 2 channel 103's (ITV & TV3) and 2 channel 105's (Channel 5 & E3) :)

Nice one, thanks muffler

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Davexirl

I did this over a week ago and I am just after noticing that on anytime on my box I am not receiving any movies and the list of programmes is a lot smaller than it used to be. Anyone else notice this???

Davexirl wrote: »
    I did this over a week ago and I am just after noticing that on anytime on my box I am not receiving any movies and the list of programmes is a lot smaller than it used to be. Anyone else notice this???
    Give it another few days and you should see more programmes :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

do you need to have a skybox to receive/activate the card?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

Question for anyone that got the Setanta card, did it get delivered by registered mail? I ordered one but it never came. I missed a registered letter and was just wondering if that was it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭smokey32

groom wrote: »
    Question for anyone that got the Setanta card, did it get delivered by registered mail? I ordered one but it never came. I missed a registered letter and was just wondering if that was it?
    Hi. I got mine last week and it just came by normal post.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 scowley

I ordered my setanta fta card today but the reply email told me if I wanted to proceed I'd need to ring them. Warnings about this ruining my current EPG too. This is a second HD box I have with no card. It uses same dish as my legit sub HD box. I want it as since the EPG update I am unable to choose Other Channels without it asking for viewing card, which is in other HD box. All parentals turned off. Ok to proceed with ordering FTA card you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 scowley

scowley wrote: »
    I ordered my setanta fta card today but the reply email told me if I wanted to proceed I'd need to ring them. Warnings about this ruining my current EPG too. This is a second HD box I have with no card. It uses same dish as my legit sub HD box. I want it as since the EPG update I am unable to choose Other Channels without it asking for viewing card, which is in other HD box. All parentals turned off. Ok to proceed with ordering FTA card you think?

I went ahead and rang them. Card arrived today. Now able to view Other Channels and EPG is UK so all ITV, BBC, C4, C5 there and HD. Happy days. Will not be calling to activate =] Thanks to the OP for this thread.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Does this card allow a (non HD) SKY+box record UK channels ?
    *please say yes*
    Nowso wrote: »
    do you need to have a skybox to receive/activate the card?
    it's a SKY Viewing Card to decode the 'SKY' encryption scheme and the 'activate' is used to pair a card with a unique SKY box. As a general rule it won't work in an off the shelf receiver that doesn't say SKY.

From earlier in the thread - if you have the right gear and know how then the answer is maybe
    32870037 wrote: »
    You will not get any subscription channels like RTE1 etc with a Setanta supplied Sky card. You will get Viva, Sony, Sony+1, LFCTV, Motors TV and selected Free View programs on Setanta Ireland if it is activated by Setanta.

BTW I got the card working in a MVISION 200HD Combo by stepping back the firmware from F472 to F460 from GXMAX.

Does this card allow a (non HD) SKY+box record UK channels ?
    *please say yes*

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

Is setanta still giving out free cards?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Is setanta still giving out free cards?

No according to this thread - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=87359394

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I think there,s freeview recievers ,
    non sky units,
    with digital recorders built in.
    if you just want to record,bbc, itv etc
    i think a sky box,
    with the card removed will just show the freeview channels,
    itv,c4,bbc, etc uk epg
    free uk channels.
    i set 1 up 2 years ago for a friend .
    an old sky box , with no card in it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

riclad wrote: »
    non sky units,

You think? Can you confirm the existence of these marvelous devices? Would rekindle my faith in humanity . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,304 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

OMG!
    I could Pee
    if I could get
    Sky for free!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

riclad wrote: »
    non sky units,
    if you just want to record,bbc, itv etc

Aka Freesat+ - http://www.freesat.co.uk/get-freesat/recommended/freesat-plus-with-freetime

Advertisement