Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setanta BAI Card No Longer supplied

Options
  • 05-11-2013 6:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

Long story short I e-mailed Setanta asking about the card under the BAI Scheme but the replied saying they no longer supply them. Should I call them and check again? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

did they say why not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Ron603

they said that they no longer supply them

• Registered Users Posts: 45,855 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Ron603 wrote: »
    they said that they no longer supply them
    You told us that already but as asked above did they say WHY they dont supply them?

nope

• Registered Users Posts: 9,720 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Surely they shouldn't receive any funding from the BAI in that case

• Advertisement

I sent them an e-mail asking why they no longer supply them. Hopefully the reply soon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

What was the BAI scheme? Why do people need viewing cards from Sky?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,422 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

See http://www.bai.ie/?page_id=92
    You need a viewing card from Sky if you cancel your contract as the default position for the Sky HD box will be to show the ROI EPG. Inserting a UK card will give you BBC 1 on 101 etc when RTE is scrambled.
    You can also use the card to trick the box into putting the UK FTA channels that aren't on the Irish Sky EPG such as ITV/UTV/Channel 5 onto the EPG/Blue button

Still got no reply from Setanta.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭radiowaves

Preface you query with one about subscribing.

You'll not only get an immediate reply you'll be clearing out your inbox forever.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

See http://www.bai.ie/?page_id=92
    You need a viewing card from Sky if you cancel your contract as the default position for the Sky HD box will be to show the ROI EPG. Inserting a UK card will give you BBC 1 on 101 etc when RTE is scrambled.
    You can also use the card to trick the box into putting the UK FTA channels that aren't on the Irish Sky EPG such as ITV/UTV/Channel 5 onto the EPG/Blue button

I know yes, I got one of them myself from the UK, were people previously able to get a card from Setanta Sports for this purpose?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I had this in my archives

http://www.setanta.com/ie/Join-Now1/Satellite/SATELLITE-FAQS/#9

*How can I watch programming which is funded under the Broadcasting
    Authority of Ireland Sound & Vision Scheme*
    Setanta Sports supports programming that is funded under the
    Broadcasting Authority of Ireland Sound & Vision Scheme and broadcasts
    this programming on a free to view basis such that it may be enjoyed by
    anybody with satellite equipment and viewing card regardless of whether
    they are subscribers to the Setanta Sports Pack. If you have a satellite
    set top box, but do not have a satellite viewing card, we will upon
    request send you free of charge a satellite viewing card to an address
    in the Republic of Ireland in order that you can enjoy the Sound &
    Vision Scheme funded programming.

Apparently not applicable any more?

The link does not now display what is quoted ....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

They NEVER should have got a cent from BAI.

BAI & Setanta should be taken to court and the monies returned. The Card was a "puppy dog" to sell Pay TV subs.

BAI also should NEVER be giving money at all, from Sound & Vision or other Sources to a Purely Pay TV company only available on Pay TV platforms.

If the card is now gone, good riddance. It was robbing the Irish Public and pilfering the "Sound & Vision" Scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I had this in my archives

Here also - http://edit.setanta.com/ie/Join-Now1/Satellite/SATELLITE-FAQS/
    How can I watch programming which is funded under the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland Sound & Vision Scheme

Setanta Sports supports programming that is funded under the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland Sound & Vision Scheme and broadcasts this programming on a free to view basis such that it may be enjoyed by anybody with satellite equipment and viewing card regardless of whether they are subscribers to the Setanta Sports Pack. If you have a satellite set top box, but do not have a satellite viewing card, we will upon request send you free of charge a satellite viewing card to an address in the Republic of Ireland in order that you can enjoy the Sound & Vision Scheme funded programming.

I see Setanta Sports were awarded €230,000 (90% funding) in the latest Sound & Vision Funding round announced in Sept (Round 18) for a 3 x 52min series "A Sporting Chance"

http://www.bai.ie/?page_id=1701

• Registered Users Posts: 45,855 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Ever get a reply?

No and I don't think I will.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The Cush wrote: »
    I see Setanta Sports were awarded €230,000 (90% funding) in the latest Sound & Vision Funding round announced in Sept (Round 18) for a 3 x 52min series "A Sporting Chance"
    And when can those who don't have valid Setanta cards / subscriptions expect to see it ? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Or without a Sky box. And without Pay TV marketing.

BAI need to get a grip. They are subsidizing marketing of Pay TV. That is outside their remit and probably illegal under EU and Irish Competition Law. I'm surprised TV3 hasn't complained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

The Cush wrote: »

http://www.bai.ie/?page_id=1701

Notwithstanding that, they are also the designated bradcast channels for two awards made in December 2013 totalling €221,000.

Perhaps it is time for contact with the head of the Broadcasting Funding Scheme to address the issue if the claims made by the OP are infact true. I doubt the BAI need reminding that the monies paid to them through DCENR are infact a percentage of TV licence fees paid by members of the public. Personally I always had a problem where the output for the broadcast was not a traditionally free to air broadcaster. Setanta's line will of course be that they will drop the encryption on the day of broadcast which whilst technically possible would be a lot of hassle.

Advertisement