Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free channels on sky

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭dogtoffee

gtg60 wrote: »
    It's quite weird actually, I've had unactivated UK Sky cards before and they always had BBC1 London, ITV Central West and clear version of ITV HD
    With the card in ITVhd is clear on 178 but not working for the card trick.

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    May be a silly question but does the box need to be connected to a phone line when activating the card?

No the card can also be activated by calling them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,405 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

May be a silly question but does the box need to be connected to a phone line when activating the card?

Why do you need to activate the card?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

dogtoffee wrote: »
    With the card in ITVhd is clear on 178 but not working for the card trick.

The unactivated UK cards I had (and there was more than one) all worked fine for the card trick too :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Why do you need to activate the card?
    To get lfctv, viva etc.on my ariva 120. Emailed setanta while I had it in my sky box and had it activated about 10 mins later.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,405 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

To get lfctv, viva etc.on my ariva 120. Emailed setanta while I had it in my sky box and had it activated about 10 mins later.

Cool. What do you need to say in the email to setanta? Just the card number?
    What is the BAI Sound and Vision scheme anyway?

• Advertisement

gtg60 wrote: »
    The unactivated UK cards I had (and there was more than one) all worked fine for the card trick too :confused:
    I would think all unactivated are the same, this is the same region as a sd box with no card if you know what I mean.

what frequency do you use for your unactivated cards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

To get the card from Setanta do I select "Satellite" from the platform drop down box and then "Enquiries" from the enquiry from the drop down box. Then in the message field say you are part of the BAI Sound & vision scheme blah blah blah and would like a card. Just signed up for sky so trying to get this sorted in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

muffler wrote: »
    Just like UTV for example your CentralW may not be HD yet. There's a bucket load of ITV regions available but there's only around 4 or 5 of the regions available on HD as far as I know.
    My sister lives about 5 minutes away from my house. I brought the card over there and done the card trick. She has ITV HD on 178.The plot thickens:confused::confused:
    dogtoffee wrote: »
    I know what your saying m8 but when the card is in you can get ITVhd on 178
    there is one I can't tune in it's most likely that.

ITV hd
    v
    8/9
    Can't tune those on my sky hd box. Don't have a option for 23000 or 8/9

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

My sister lives about 5 minutes away from my house. I brought the card over there and done the card trick. She has ITV HD on 178.The plot thickens:confused::confused:

Use this frequency for ITV 1 HD 10.936 V 22000 5/6

aaronm13 wrote: »
    To get the card from Setanta do I select "Satellite" from the platform drop down box and then "Enquiries" from the enquiry from the drop down box. Then in the message field say you are part of the BAI Sound & vision scheme blah blah blah and would like a card. Just signed up for sky so trying to get this sorted in advance.
    Yes thats all you do

Lol so we are doing something wrong
    zerks wrote: »

Thanks for that there is a power cut here will try when I get my electric back

• Advertisement

Thanks for that dogtoffee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Cool. What do you need to say in the email to setanta? Just the card number?
    What is the BAI Sound and Vision scheme anyway?
    Sent an email off to customerservicesire@setanta.com,
    I gave the card number, make and model number of the sky box along with the serial and the nds number from the box. Not sure if they need all that info but I gave it anyway.

To answer your other question I'm not really sure, just think setanta have an obligation to provide these free channels to anyone who wants them in Eire.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,822 ✭✭✭✭muffler

aaronm13 wrote: »
    Yes, select the platform and then enquiries. here's a copy of what I sent (got it from their return email)
    Platform:
    Satellite

Enquiry type:
    Subscription Enquiries

Name:
    muffler

Email:
    xxxxxxxxxxx

Telephone Number:

Address:
    XXXXXXXXXXXX

Town:
    XXXXXXXXX Co. Donegal

Postcode:
    Ireland

Viewing Card No:

Hello,

I was wondering if it was possible to get a free to view card. I already have my own dish and box in place.

Thank you very much.

muffler
    They emailed back saying the card was on its way :)

Yes, select the platform and then enquiries. here's a copy of what I sent (got it from their return email)
    They emailed back saying the card was on its way :)

Said something very similar so hopefully it works.

zerks wrote: »

Have them tunned in already and no joy. Thanks anyway.

If its any help the frequencies that I'm aware of for the various ITV regions in HD are:

ITV 1 London HD - 10832 H 22000 5/6

ITV 1 Granada HD and STV West HD - 10936 V 22000 5/6

10.834 H 22.0 5/6 gets ITV1 HD but Im not sure what region.

If its any help the frequencies that I'm aware of for the various ITV regions in HD are:

ITV 1 London HD - 10832 H 22000 5/6

ITV 1 Granada HD and STV West HD - 10936 V 22000 5/6

10.834 H 22.0 5/6 gets ITV1 HD but Im not sure what region.

Nice 1, that worked, thanks it was driving me mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Eric Isherwood

Sent an email off to customerservicesire@setanta.com,
    I gave the card number, make and model number of the sky box along with the serial and the nds number from the box. Not sure if they need all that info but I gave it anyway.

To answer your other question I'm not really sure, just think setanta have an obligation to provide these free channels to anyone who wants them in Eire.

I did the same this morning within 10 minutes cared was paired to box but all channels including RTE,TV3, have a blue screen and are asking me to upgrade by ringing 0818716098?????????????? Any help please what channels should be in the clear? 998 working but nothing else:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 20 32870037

You will not get any subscription channels like RTE1 etc with a Setanta supplied Sky card. You will get Viva, Sony, Sony+1, LFCTV, Motors TV and selected Free View programs on Setanta Ireland if it is activated by Setanta.

BTW I got the card working in a MVISION 200HD Combo by stepping back the firmware from F472 to F460 from GXMAX.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Puggy

Thanks guys. New Sky+ HD customer here, got my Setanta card today, and did not activate it. Tried the card trick and it works! EGP populated, pause live TV fine, and recordings work fine. So long as you add in the correct channels into "Other Channels" first. Great to have al the ITV's + ITV HD, plus Channel 4 HD and Channel 5's!

Got the duplicate channel numbers on 101-106, but it still works fine. If you dont want to see BBC1 on 101 etc, then delete it from other channels before you start.

Guess I no longer need the EPG on my Technisat Freesat box anymore:(

Again, thanks for the tip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Berberis

Received the card in the post today. Very quick service, I only sent the email the other day.
    It looks exactly the same card as my present sky freesat card.
    Took out the freesat and put in the setanta one (which has sky written on it) and tv remained the same.
    Same epg and favourite channel list, except I could not get sony or pick with it, so put my old freesat card back in.
    Might leave it in later for overnight to see if the card activates. Don't want to ring setanta as the other card is presently paired with the sky box

Berberis wrote: »
    Received the card in the post today. Very quick service, I only sent the email the other day.
    It looks exactly the same card as my present sky freesat card.
    Took out the freesat and put in the setanta one (which has sky written on it) and tv remained the same.
    Same epg and favourite channel list, except I could not get sony or pick with it, so put my old freesat card back in.
    Might leave it in later for overnight to see if the card activates. Don't want to ring setanta as the other card is presently paired with the sky box

What are you expecting from the Sentanta card?

What are you expecting from the Sentanta card?

Don't know to be honest. Saw it was free so I got one:D
    Nah I thought it might get me the same as my current freesat and I could use it as a back up.
    Also seen on an earlier post that maybe I might get some free programmes on Setanta.

Berberis wrote: »
    Don't know to be honest. Saw it was free so I got one:D
    Nah I thought it might get me the same as my current freesat and I could use it as a back up.
    Also seen on an earlier post that maybe I might get some free programmes on Setanta.
    The reason for the sentanta card is to do whats now know as "the card trick"
    It works on sky hd boxes. If you subscribe to sky and get the Irish epg, using the card trick will add ITV, 5 5star etc to your epg. This means you can record those channels. Although you can add them to add channels you cant record them. With the card trick you can.

Hope Sky cant work spoilers :D

The reason for the sentanta card is to do whats now know as "the card trick"
    It works on sky hd boxes. If you subscribe to sky and get the Irish epg, using the card trick will add ITV, 5 5star etc to your epg. This means you can record those channels. Although you can add them to add channels you cant record them. With the card trick you can.

Hope Sky cant work spoilers :D

Ah got you now. Ah sure I will leave it in over night and see what it does with my old sd sky box.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Eric Isherwood

Puggy wrote: »
    Thanks guys. New Sky+ HD customer here, got my Setanta card today, and did not activate it. Tried the card trick and it works! EGP populated, pause live TV fine, and recordings work fine. So long as you add in the correct channels into "Other Channels" first. Great to have al the ITV's + ITV HD, plus Channel 4 HD and Channel 5's!

Got the duplicate channel numbers on 101-106, but it still works fine. If you dont want to see BBC1 on 101 etc, then delete it from other channels before you start.

Guess I no longer need the EPG on my Technisat Freesat box anymore:(

Again, thanks for the tip.

Hi could someone please give the link to the card trick can't find it thank you.

Hi could someone please give the link to the card trick can't find it thank you.
    Here ya go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭celj

Anyone know if we will be able to tune in Channel 5 HD anytime soon??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭loopymum

bodonnell wrote: »
    E-mail setanta & request a ftv card quoting BAI Sound & vision scheme, tell them you already have a receiver and dish etc, they will order a card from sky for you & you should have it in 5 days or less. No cost for this.

Thanks a million for this! Great stuff:D I did as you suggested and received my card yesterday and it's working like a dream

• Advertisement

[/S]

Nice 1, that worked, thanks it was driving me mad.
    I still cant get it to stick on the EPG I have tried all the above

Advertisement