Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swords CC Club League

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Inquitus wrote: »
    We get 10mins over 32km?

Looking at your Strava account, I think it's an instant promotion to group 3 for you.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,490 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I do find it a bit odd that in a handicapped league the best climber can get up to 50 points on a non-handicapped basis

Raam, no pressure, but the league is all yours this year ...

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,490 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Raam wrote: »
    There was one of me in there, but they had to take it down when someone put a "C" in front of the logo

Beasty wrote: »
    I do find it a bit odd that in a handicapped league the best climber can get up to 50 points on a non-handicapped basis

Raam, no pressure, but the league is all yours this year ...

I rode as hard as anyone up that hill.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Maybe so, but when you are half the weight of everyone else it's not fair!

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    Maybe so, but when you are half the weight of everyone else it's not fair!

70kg all in. There were lighter folk there.

70kg all in. There were lighter folk there.

Including the bike and clothing?

Edit: Comparing yourself to women is not acceptable as was recently learned here. I suspect the only lighter person at the hill climb was indeed a female of the species and as such can't be inlcuded in the comparison.

Including the bike and clothing?

LOL, no!

No criticism intended - I think they used to include handicapping (for the purpose of the league, but not "Club Champions") when they had TTs in the league previously.

Are the 10m and 25m TTs going to get points also, or is the fact there is a trophy available for each (unlike the hill climbs), deemed sufficient "incentive"?

Maybe there should be a trophy for the best aggregate time over the 2 hill climbs?

• Advertisement

Beasty wrote: »
    Maybe there should be a trophy for the best aggregate time over the 2 hill climbs?

Or for most improved time?

Or for most improved time?
    TBH I was thinking that would be a way of handicapping going forward - that's what the vets do, and could form a basis for awarding league points. It means you are not going to get anything the first time you do it, but if we are using the same hill for both climbs it provides an incentive going forward (anyone new could ride against the best time of those who do have a handicap time - again that's what the vets do, although that may not cater for the return of a Superlav, or if Ryan turned up to give it a go)

But I also think there should be some recognition of the overall "best", as we do for the "flat" TTs

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

A time trial is a race against the clock though. Do they handicap in 40km TTs, there are people bigger and more powerful than me doing them, I demand that parachutes and weights be used!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Why bother with a handicap, is the idea not to do it as fast as you can and improve. Do people really care that much about points?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

We used to handicap the TT's but TBH there was never a clear/fair system acceptable to everyone.
    The Vets system is so bloody confusing it'd be near impossible to use!
    Personally I pr
    efered when we used to start with a flat 5 mile tt. I still think thats far more appropriate for an early season tt but I'm in a minority on that one :rolleyes:

PS Raam bloody good ride and well done. You fully deserved to get a win and a fistfull of points.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Do they handicap in 40km TTs
    For the purpose of handicap league the vets do, and Swords, when they included TTs, did.

For the purposes of "Championships", the vets do a handicap simply based on age, and Swords do no handicap

RobFowl wrote: »
    The Vets system is so bloody confusing it'd be near impossible to use!
    No it's not ;)

It's actually quite simple - your best time over the distance over the previous 2 years is your handicap - all the additional "complications" are simply to try and accomodate ageing, and not particularly relevant to a club league

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭ba

rolled out on wednesday night to watch and was talked into doing the hill climb last minute. i rode after feargal cummins at 42.30 but my name (Brian Attley) appears no where. i didnt sign on officially so points don't bother me but as i rode the course i'm curious as to my time...is there anyone who may be able to trace it for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,015 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I think that an unhandicapped TT is just reward for spending the rest of the season frantically chasing after people who started minutes ahead of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

ba wrote: »
    rolled out on wednesday night to watch and was talked into doing the hill climb last minute. i rode after feargal cummins at 42.30 but my name (Brian Attley) appears no where. i didnt sign on officially so points don't bother me but as i rode the course i'm curious as to my time...is there anyone who may be able to trace it for me?

There was a sign in sheet and a timesheet. You have to be on both I would imagine and you have needed a number. Ask 07Lapierre.

• Advertisement

i was put onto the time sheet. the guy with the clipboard at the start line was really nice to have let me have a go at hill climb so i imagine they would've have stuck my time up in the website for my (poor) efforts.

i was put onto the time sheet. the guy with the clipboard at the start line was really nice to have let me have a go at hill climb so i imagine they would've have stuck my time up in the website for my (poor) efforts.
    Joe had the clipboard at the bottom, and Breda the stopwatch at the top. If Breda didn't know you were coming up the hill she could have assumed Fergal was last-off and not stopped the watch for you

Were you in Dublin Wheelers kit? I think I may have been one of them encouraging you to give it a go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

4.58...a very respectable time! well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

the guy with the clip board is Joe almighty its important you get to know who this very important person is .im sure someone will be along with your time +their ya go+

07Lapierre wrote: »
    4.58...a very respectable time! well done!
    An excellent time if that's the first time you've been up that hill. It took me over 2 years to get to dip under 5 minutes

Janey mack would never have expected a time like that especially since it was my first time racing up it! thanks very much guys, really appreciate your help.

7096034457_5cac8183fa_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭goldencleric

Janey mack would never have expected a time like that especially since it was my first time racing up it! thanks very much guys, really appreciate your help.

Congrats! Now clean that bike! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

7096034457_5cac8183fa_z.jpg

Rub it in why don't ya!....some of us are still trying to do it in under 5mins! :D

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Rub it in why don't ya!....some of us are still trying to do it in under 5mins! :D

...and these damn fifty euro notes still won't fit into my wallet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Staro

+ 1 great bloody ride you put everything into that and deserve the points. Now I expect you to be wearing the league leaders jersey in the scratch group next week :-)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement