Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

LPG Conversion

Options
  • 11-04-2012 2:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭

Given that the last thread i can find on the subject is back in 2007, would it now be ecomomically viable to convert??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I thought about myself. Even if you do 15,000 miles a year it is worthwhile!

However that is assuming that your insurance doesn't go up.
    My insurance wanted 3 grand a year!! 2 grand more than the same car on petrol.

Also make sure the place that converts it is certified since you need the certificate to get insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Also make sure the place that converts it is certified since you need the certificate to get insurance.

That would be extremely unusual and you absolutely should not have accepted that answer. Im with Chartis via First Ireland broker and my Insurance quote didnt change in any way (zero increase) with the LPG conversion on my S8. Nor would I expect it to.

Which insurance company gave you that quote?

Matt Simis wrote: »
    That would be extremely unusual and you absolutely should not have accepted that answer. Im with Chartis via First Ireland broker and my Insurance quote didnt change in any way (zero increase) with the LPG conversion on my S8. Nor would I expect it to.

Which insurance company gave you that quote?
    All of them! I used gocompare.
    I hear that Direct Line are LPG friendly but they wouldn't give an LPG quote online.
    I live in the North.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

All of them! I used gocompare.
    I hear that Direct Line are LPG friendly but they wouldn't give an LPG quote online.
    I live in the North.

Hmm, hard to understand that, did you ask around with other Northern LPG drivers what they do?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Theres a thread from late last year but it was still avtive till recently I think, about a guy supposedly opening a garage doing LPG in NAAS I think and selling it cheap.

Acccessability to LPG is the biggest issue I'd imagine. You'll be a long time makign back the money if you can only access an LPG garage every 5 or 6 fills.

• Advertisement

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Hmm, hard to understand that, did you ask around with other Northern LPG drivers what they do?
    There are a few that a known to insure LPG cars but they penalise young drivers so I would lose that way. Also you need a big petrol engine because you lose acceleration on LPG. I'm driving a 1.2 Clio and wanted to go for a 1.8 2002 BMW and convert it to LPG but the insurance went wild.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Theres a thread from late last year but it was still avtive till recently I think, about a guy supposedly opening a garage doing LPG in NAAS I think and selling it cheap.

Acccessability to LPG is the biggest issue I'd imagine. You'll be a long time makign back the money if you can only access an LPG garage every 5 or 6 fills.
    That would be the main problem. Without a good network of outlets it is simply non-viable unless you live near an outlet.

That would be the main problem. Without a good network of outlets it is simply non-viable unless you live near an outlet.
    The network up North is great. I have 2 in my town and one in my home town. Theres one every 50 miles or so if you drive on main roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Markdub2000

Yes I noticed there's one in finglas and one in Naas - not far from me so it might be worth while investigating further

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Here's something I heard today from an extremely reliable source. Most / all LPG pumps are old units and only have space for three digits on them. Apprently it's quite costly to recalibrate them and unless demand increases significantly they won't be. Therefore for the immediate future LPG will be charged at a maximum of 99.9c.

• Advertisement

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Here's something I heard today from an extremely reliable source. Most / all LPG pumps are old units and only have space for three digits on them. Apprently it's quite costly to recalibrate them and unless demand increases significantly they won't be. Therefore for the immediate future LPG will be charged at a maximum of 99.9c.
    My local garage has a new automatic pump.
    I cant see that stopping them! They could sell for 101.0 per litre and not show the .0

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

My local garage has a new automatic pump.
    I cant see that stopping them! They could sell for 101.0 per litre and not show the .0

I'm only repeating what the man told me so I presume they were XX.X so if you tried the above you would only be charging 10.1c per litre.

I called my insurance company and they gave me a reasonable quote. Seems to be that the online quotes go mad for any modifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Car Freak 2012

Just wondering is it actually viable to convert to LPG...does engine size matter and what mpg results has anyone got from the conversion?

Just wondering is it actually viable to convert to LPG...does engine size matter and what mpg results has anyone got from the conversion?
    From my own research you need a minimum 1.6 petrol engine and take into account servicing costs. If you're doing less than 20,000 miles per year don't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

MCMLXXV wrote: »

My local station has "x 2" taped on to the pump. :D

I thought about myself. Even if you do 15,000 miles a year it is worthwhile!

That's crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

The only thing that's stopped me gassing my 3.5 V8 powered 101 has been lack of outlets selling it. With the price of fuel now I'm seriously re-thinking it, I burn €100- 120 of petrol every time I go to a show in it and I can DIY fit a kit for around €600 as it's on carbs. In my case it would make running cost similar to a diesel conversion without it sounding like a feckin' tractor!

You'd want to be doing a lot of miles to justify the cost in a modern fuel injected car, it's DIYable but probably well beyond most owners capability so conversion cost is going to be high. Power loss used to be typically 5-10% on lpg but would be less noticeable with a modern system.

I'll probably buy a kit from these guys and there's some useful info on the site - http://www.tinleytech.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

LPG conversions are incredibly popular in Italy for a number of reasons (petrol costs and the fact that it brings almost any car up to date with the latest environment protection laws) and I hadseveral.

As a matter of fact, all cars I had were converted to LPG at some point. There we go:

- Renault 5 0.9 liters cabrs engine: barely any power loss (only noticeable uphill), never kept track of mileage but I was spending next to nothing on fuel;
    - Alfa 75 1.8, carbs engine: never liked the LPG conversion, those 4 carburettors just didn't want to cooperate - reverted to petrol;

- Alfa 155 2.0 TS 16V, electronic fuel injection: ran very well. Power loss noticeable (I would say only 120-130 of the original 150 HP were available) but manageable, 130 hp were more than enough to get me through the 120km daily motorway commute...at speeds that would warrant a driving ban, maybe arrest, possibly imprisonment for life :)

- Alfa 156 1.8 TS, electronic fuel injection: again, very good results. Difference with petrol barely noticeable - nitpicking, the power and torque delivery are smoother than on LPG.

The only real issue I ever had was that performance would take a hit when using the air conditioning - a must in Italy, an accessory you'll use 10 times a year here :)

One of the main advantages of an LPG conversion, often overlooked by most people, is that you get extended autonomy - as long as you keep something in both tanks, you can switch when you run out of either. Seems pointless, but if you embark in long motorway journeys or drive in areas you are unfamiliar with and filling stations are few and far in between, it will come handy.

I would definitely go for a conversion, the only thing that would pose an obstacle is the fact that, in both Dublin and Cork, I hardly ever saw a fuel station that sold LPG...

I called two stations in Cork yesterday, one was €1.14 (unlisted) the other €0.79 (John Crotty).

http://ilpga.ie/autogas-outlets.php#Cork

I am seriously considering buying an LPG car, but the insurance issue is something I hadn't accounted for....

• Advertisement

I called two stations in Cork yesterday, one was €1.14 (unlisted) the other €0.79 (John Crotty).

I am seriously considering buying an LPG car, but the insurance issue is something I hadn't accounted for....

Amazing how ignorant and stubborn insurance companies are. Technically speaking, an LPG powered engine has cleaner emissions than any modern petrol or diesel engine - so they are preventing the adoption of more environmental friendly fuels by effectively equiparating them to the racer boy's ugly bits of dangling plastic, and trying to capitalize on it...

• Registered Users Posts: 65,223 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

From my own research you need a minimum 1.6 petrol engine and take into account servicing costs. If you're doing less than 20,000 miles per year don't bother.

What research is that?

Some basic rough sums:

Cost of conversion for a 1.6l petrol: €1k

Price petrol €1.69/l
    Price LPG €0.75/l

Fuel consumption on petrol 28MPG
    Fuel consumption on LPG 25MPG

If you want to earn back your full investment in the LPG installation in 1 year, the break even point is only just over 7k miles!!!

After the first year the owner will save €140 for every 1k miles driven...

(this is of course presuming LPG is as widely available as petrol and you don't need to make a detour to get filled up. This is obviously not (yet) the case)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭V480

There is a new outlet on the Tramore Road (AutogasIreland) selling LPG for 79 cent a litre. They have just opened and seem to be getting a fair bit of business already doing conversions. Handy spot in the industrial estate opposite the college.

V480 wrote: »
    There is a new outlet on the Tramore Road (AutogasIreland) selling LPG for 79 cent a litre. They have just opened and seem to be getting a fair bit of business already doing conversions. Handy spot in the industrial estate opposite the college.

Yep, that's the one I called.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

From my own research you need a minimum 1.6 petrol engine

I had cinquecento 0.9 litre converted to LPG.
    There isn't any minimum engine size you can convert.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...how can there possibly be that much of a variance in the price if the same fuel? The margins can't be that big. Is someone misinterpreting Duty or something ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

CiniO wrote: »
    I had cinquecento 0.9 litre converted to LPG.
    There isn't any minimum engine size you can convert.

Was lack of power not a problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Try €1.56 in Newbridge.

Average price is around 99.9 cent. Very few places under 90 cent anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Was lack of power not a problem?

In this car lack of power was generally a problem, no matter if petrol or LPG.

Anyway - difference in power on LPG or petrol was negligible.
    This was 93 cinquecento without even electronic fuel injection (it just had carburator), so LPG conversion was also first generation (just plaing mixer with adjusting screw - no ECU).
    Except from a need for permanen adjustment (once a month - i did it myself) it was running great. Average LPG consumption was about 7 litres/100km and this was mostly city driving.

• Advertisement

CiniO wrote: »
    In this car lack of power was generally a problem, no matter if petrol or LPG.

Anyway - difference in power on LPG or petrol was negligible.
    This was 93 cinquecento without even electronic fuel injection (it just had carburator), so LPG conversion was also first generation (just plaing mixer with adjusting screw - no ECU).
    Except from a need for permanen adjustment (once a month - i did it myself) it was running great. Average LPG consumption was about 7 litres/100km and this was mostly city driving.

That's it, same on my Renault - it was from 1984 and had a whopping 34 horsepower; needless to say, the power loss was negligible as there was none to begin with :)

Advertisement