Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jones V Evans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,117 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Evans
    JoeyJJ wrote: »
    6/1 in Vegas for Rashed, pitty paddy didn't offer that price, 7/2 is prob more realistic as much as that makes me sad. Might stick a couple of euro on a double that would me happy, Mills and Evans win is 19/1.
    Evans isn't 6/1 in vegas. He is 4/1

You probably ready that Jones is a 6 to 1 favourite, that's their way of saying 1/6. ie

Vegas line is
    Jones $-600 (1/6)
    Evans $+400 (4/1)

The odds here are actually slightly better than vegas.
    Jones is 1/5 in most places, and 2/9 with some sites. I just got him at 1/4 on betfair.
    Evans is the same 4/1 here.
    threeball wrote: »
    Its part off it. Theres times when a guy doesn't know their opponent is out but theres plenty that they would just know as soon as the punch lands. You see the same guys that back off 90% of the time and theres others who pile in to see how many times he can smash his head into the canvas before the ref gets to him. The hendo bisping fight is a prime example. Theres no way hendo didn't know he was done after that first punch and he definitely saw him fall like a felled tree into the canvas without as much as a flinch to save himself. Yet he decided the additional haymaker was warranted.

I'm aware it happens. And yes hendo is an example. But you made it sound like it happens in the majority of situations. Which is what I had the issue with.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Evans
    Poll added

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

Evans
    Primetime Part 2

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Evans
    http://www.ufc.com/media/ufc-145-pre-fight-pc

the presser in full. love the format they've gone with for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Not sure
    Format not bad however with Anik already done his interviews this felt like overkill. Roll on Sat night.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

Real story of this fight is gonna be how Jones fights off of his back. I honestly think Rashad has the footwork to avoid the striking and the low base to get the takedown but I think Jones will be too strong and lanky for Rashad to make the most of the take downs. Unfortunately it looks like Jones will retain.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,153 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Evans
    Just watching the Primetime shows and...........

Anyone notice at the very end of Ep.1, Rashad has no beard but Jon Jones has MORE beard where Rashad normally has his?

I think we might have a Highlander situation on our hands!!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 th3 lunatik

cant wait for this fight , rashad will be a handfull for jones , hoping rashad wins !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Not sure
    I'm sure Jones will attack from bottom position with elbows and go for triangles, wonder if he has be putting more time into BJJ for this camp?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

My picks are Jones, MacDonald, Schaub, Torres.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Patrick Quinn

Evans
    Ush1 wrote: »
    My picks are Jones, MacDonald, Schaub, Torres.
    Jones will win this fight second round ko evans has the most take downs in light heavyweight division but jones takedown defents is quality an dnt forget jones base is wresling what he done since school cant wait for this an see bones jones hand raised and then who will be next for him maybe anderson silva steps up to 205 and have ago at him if he beats sonnen in the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Jones will win this fight second round ko evans has the most take downs in light heavyweight division but jones takedown defents is quality an dnt forget jones base is wresling what he done since school cant wait for this an see bones jones hand raised and then who will be next for him maybe anderson silva steps up to 205 and have ago at him if he beats sonnen in the summer

Jones and Silva have both said they have no interest in ever fighting each other, annoyingly.

I reckon if Jones beats Rashad, then it's Hendo. After Hendo, it's up to heavyweight with him I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ConfusedLepton

Evans
    I'd love to see a competitive fight, but I think the only real competition will be who can crawl for the longest at the start of round 1. I just can't see Rashad getting inside. Jones is too long and too smart and he'll have his fingers in Rashad's face pawing him away. I see a 2nd round TKO for Jones ...with every camera in the place clamoring to be the one to capture 'shad face 2.0

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

Evans
    Can't wait for this card..... so excited
    Are prelims on Facebook?

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

UFC are gonna be very careful if they put him up to HW, probably get Gilbert Yvel or Chris Turshucker back in to let Jones test the waters.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Evans
    I really can't wait for this fight. There's been so much hype around it and hopefully it lives up to all that hype.
    I've always liked Rashad and I'll be cheering for him in this one but if I'm being 100% honest, if I was to put money on it, I'd put it on Jones.
    I just can't see Rashad being able to get near Jones in this fight. I think Jones will be too much for him and will ko him in the 2nd or 3rd round. I really hope I'm wrong though.
    I go through phases of hating Jones and liking him again. When he first came on the scene I was a big fan. I knew he was something special from the minute I watched him fight and there's no denying he has incredible talent. But sometimes he seems to have this smugness about him. It's not an "in your face" pompous attitude but more of a subtle arrogance that's hard to put your finger on.
    I've no problem with him being cocky because i think to be the champ you have to have a certain amount of cockiness to survive. But sometimes he comes across as self-righteous and with a "holier-than-thou" vibe about him. Then other times I actually like him again and think he's just a bit mis-understood and to be honest he has a lot on his plate with his meteoric rise to the top along with the added pressure of being the youngest ever champion. Plus the media, along with the UFC propoganda men, are billing him as the next Ali or the next Anderson Silva. And he has to try to live up to that.
    I think some people go over the top when criticising him though. People will try to see bad in anything he does. That comes with the territory of being No.1. Haters gonna hate and all that. I don't blame him too much for dropping Machida. It was heat of the moment stuff and these things can happen. Fighters have done much worse in the past and not gotten half the backlash Jones has had. As for not checking on him afterwards....that was bad form but again I think people looked way too much into it and made more of a deal about it than it should've been. Should he have checked on him first without being told to? Yes of course. Was it a horrible lapse of judgement that lost him some fans? Yes. But I think he has been unnecessarily crucified for it.
    I honestly think Jones needs to lose a fight. If he loses it might snap him out of it a little bit and stop his head from getting over-inflated which could be his undoing.
    I'm no Jones fan by a long stretch but I think he needs to be cut some slack at the minute and just looked at for what he is......an incredible new talent in mma who has the potential to be a worldwide superstar and bring mma to the forefront of world sports.

Edit; Didn't mean for that to turn into such a rant! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Evans
    A glove tap at the start will ruin it after this build up!.

Evans
    A glove tap at the start will ruin it after this build up!.
    There won't be any.
    Jones will probably come out on all fours again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Evans

Edit: 31:16 onwards for the Jones/Evans weigh-in

• Advertisement

Evans
    Dean09 wrote: »
    Should he have checked on him first without being told to? Yes of course. Was it a horrible lapse of judgement that lost him some fans? Yes. But I think he has been unnecessarily crucified for it.
    Had Jackson said anything it nobody would have noticed. Fighters often don't check until the other guy is up and lucid.

As for Jones' cockiness, does nobody remember the ultimate fighter 2 and Evans' behaviour.

Evans
    Mellor wrote: »
    As for Jones' cockiness, does nobody remember the ultimate fighter 2 and Evans' behaviour.
    Yep, that's what I mean. Jones seems to be thought of more harshly than any other fighter for whatever reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Patrick Quinn

Evans
    Yep, that's what I mean. Jones seems to be thought of more harshly than any other fighter for whatever reason.
    Jones i think comes across as a cocky ****er but i dont think his cocky just so confident in his ability and why shouldnt he be has won fights when going in to the fight people saying this will be his biggest test and he has steped up and delivered so really like him or not he is a top fighter.

Evans
    Exactly. I was aiming that at everyone else not you btw. It's just a case of people making a big deal due to his success. Remember when jones was DQ'd vrs Hamil. Virtually everyone agreed it was a genuine mistake and should of been a no contest not a loss. Why? Because he was up and coming and was never losing the fight.
    Imagine it did that after the hate emerged. would be some overreaction.

TL;DR
    Haters gonna hate

Evans
    Exactly. Remember when jones was DQ'd vrs Hamil. Virtually everyone agreed it was a genuine mistake and should of been a no contest not a loss.

Still think that should be overturned, the ref should have stopped the fight before that anyway, Hamill was taking way too much punishment.

Anyone else find it strange that a LHW Champ with 1 controversial DQ loss on his record who is gaining PPV buys with every appearance hasn't gotten it removed by Uncle Dana? Surely the UFC could pull some strings and have an Undefeated LHW champ? Would sell a few more events anyway.

Evans
    Too late now.
    They could of appealed the decision at the time, and tried to get it overturned to NC. But they didn't, its nothing to do with Dana.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

He is good. Ironically lots of people will complain about The Spider and his antics against Maia and Leites, GSP never finishing etc.

In Jones they have a fighter who aggressively dismantles his opponents so they find something else to hate him for.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,153 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Evans
    Having a loss on his record is most likely pressure relieving for Jones. The pressure but on guys when they're unbeaten is stupid, imagine that coupled with the pressure of being champ?

This is a place where MMA differs from Boxing. When a boxer has a loss on his record its looked at with scorn (remember when. Prescott smashed Khan? Jim Watt and Co. were saying he was finished.... he'd just turned 21!)

In MMA, if you're at that top level and you haven't been beaten, well, as Matt Hughes says "if you haven't lost in MMA, you haven't fought anybody!"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Exactly. In MMA you can't get too hung up on the win/loss ratio. It's more about who you fought and when you fought them.

I mean, Rampage dropping Lidell like he did was really quite special. By the time Franklin dropped him it wasn't the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Stephen_King

Just watched the weigh ins. The funny thing about this is that its probably going to be one of the UFC's biggest fights of the year, and the main thing the fans are arguing over is who they hate more. Good times :D

Advertisement