Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert '11/'12 Off-Topic 2

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

reznov wrote: »
    No cougars were hurt as the RSPCA safely captured them, transporting the beasts to a detainment facility.
    We've been re-assimilated by the British Empire when I wasn't looking? :p
    Eathrin wrote: »
    So I am officially finished with secondary school...
    Oh dear lord I'm growing up :eek:
    Can't say I'd noticed ... >_>

:P :D
    We once learned how to put condoms on bananas in SPHE... That teacher didn't last long in the school
    Might have been the most useful lesson you ever received in secondary school.

Provided you remember that it's symbolic ofc, and that a visit to the local fruit'n'veg shop will not actually stave off undesired consequences! >_>

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

I read in spurts. For example at some point I feel like reading and just dedicate 3 - 5 hours a day for a week to read 7 or 8 books.

I dislike contemporary works and enjoy reading Shakesperean plays along with other classical works. Although flash fiction/short story wise, some contemporary works are irresistible plot wise.

In regards to high achieves in school, my school has about 10 - 20 people who are bound to receive 500+. Highly competitive environments breed self actualising winners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Meowth

finality wrote: »
    I'm never going to bed :L is she reading house of night ? Dear lord I hope she ain't really young :O

She was definitely reading them at some stage. She's 16. :P
    Ok not bad so, wouldnt give it to anyone under 16 though :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

I only know for sure that two people got 500+ in our year last year, excluding repeats. I'm sure there was one or two more, but that's probably it. (Had about ninety in our year.) Then again we had no bonus points. :P Should be about ten maybe getting those points this year, just at a rough guess. We've a fairly big year though.
    ok well i'm reading house of night atm (dont read, they are bad but I was dared to read them
    Matched series
    The Hunger Games
    Looking for Alaska (Patch recommended it to me)
    Darren Shan books (love love love)
    Jodi Picoult (for the more serious reads)
    One Day by David Nicholls
    Fallen series
    Beautiful Dead series
    Dark Touch novels
    Skulduggery Pleasant
    Dracula
    The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
    13 Reasons why
    Confessions of a Fallen angel
    I am Number four
    emmm they are all i can think of on the top of my head :L
    As you can see I love my series anyone give me any book recommendations ?

I knew you'd recommend those ones! :P I plan on reading them over the summer anyway, and the Twilight ones (just 'cause I bought all the books on sale about a year ago and don't want them sitting on my shelf unread). :P Out of those I've heard of Darren Shan and the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, but that's it. Seriously I don't even know where to go in the library anymore, last time I visited it regularly I was getting books like Animal Ark ones, the Heartland series and Cora Harrison books. <3

My recommended books list is as follows:

Critique of Hegel's Philosophy of Right, 1843
    On the Jewish Question, 1843
    Notes on James Mill, 1844
    Economic and Philosophic Manuscripts of 1844, 1844
    The Holy Family, 1845
    Theses on Feuerbach, 1845
    The German Ideology, 1845
    The Poverty of Philosophy, 1847
    Wage Labour and Capital, 1847
    Manifesto of the Communist Party, 1848
    The Eighteenth Brumaire of Louis Napoleon, 1852
    Grundrisse, 1857
    A Contribution to the Critique of Political Economy, 1859
    Writings on the U.S. Civil War, 1861
    Theories of Surplus Value, 3 volumes, 1862
    Value, Price and Profit, 1865
    Capital, Volume I (Das Kapital), 1867
    The Civil War in France, 1871
    Critique of the Gotha Program, 1875
    Notes on Wagner, 1883
    Capital, Volume II (posthumously published by Engels), 1885
    Capital, Volume III (posthumously published by Engels), 1894

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

Any of you mathsy people, see in this sequences and series question, is that C part (i) literally just asking you to write down those 2 standard formulas? o_O
    And is (ii) just using the formula?

The C parts look deceivingly easy as long as you know those 3 simple formulas, I had no idea when I did them that they were C parts! :D

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Any of you mathsy people, see in this sequences and series question, is that C part (i) literally just asking you to write down those 2 standard formulas? o_O
    And is (ii) just using the formula?

The C parts look deceivingly easy as long as you know those 3 simple formulas, I had no idea when I did them that they were C parts! :D

Yup that's all it is asking!

Jaziz, I'd love if we got that this year! :D

Jaziz, I'd love if we got that this year! :D

Ha I doubt we will. Don't know why they even examined it in 2005.

Expect a differentiation of a geometric series in the 5th power to come up by method of first principle.

:(

It seems the whole idea of knowing those formulas comes up more often than you'd expect for something so easy though. And then the previous two years half the C parts were just algebra to prove that terms of an AP or a GP were > 0!

Lol I hope that doesnt actually exist. :(

Just got back to 2002, oh god, it was so easy. 10 year cycle? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I've done a bit on Economics. Going in for English and possibly maths after. I really hope I don't get there and find there's nobody in. I need to get my work back anyway.

Graduating in a few hours, ahhhh! Had to buy shoes just there, kinda totally forgot about those...
    No study is getting done just because of the day thats in it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Graduating in a few hours, ahhhh! Had to buy shoes just there, kinda totally forgot about those...
    No study is getting done just because of the day thats in it ;)

Same here graduating tonight :P I did some study(very tiny bit) in school today so I think I will give study a skip now :D

Ah yeah I had a maths class like but I hardly even count class as study :P But in that case, I studied for over 1/48th of the day! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Pfff, my graduation's today and I've done three business units :pac:
    Reeeally don't want to get too drunk because then I'll just stay in bed tomorrow and be useless, but I can't help myself :'(

Damn you Namlub! *shakes fist* :P

I got jagermeister, I think I'll be the least studious :cool:
    Loljk I dont get hangovers, I'm going into maths tomorrow from 2-3:30. I am invincible.

COME AT ME BRO

I love how everyone's freaking out about how this is the last night out until after the exams, like that's actually not that long...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

I have to go in tomorrow at some point top pick up some books :( Ah well...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

We get a mass for our graduation :pac:

Our school is so dry.

Oh so do we, but pub after. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭AnnaKin

Fergus_ wrote: »

Our school is so dry.

had one last night! :p was epic! and so was the pubs after! Had an amazing night! :D

Fergus_ wrote: »

Our school is so dry.

We do as well, we're singing like ten hymns. Classic all-girls Catholic school >_>

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

So so happy have my music practical done finally! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I hope you's all have a great graduation! whenever it is :)
    Just enjoy it and one day off from studying or even the morning off isn't bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

I provided music for my graduation mass. It was a great day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

finality wrote: »
    Anyone like Terry Pratchett? I was OBSESSED from about 4th class to 2nd year. Last summer I read one of his books in German :)

Terry Pratchett's amazing, I have the same birthday as him :D:D I love reading. I'm reading Netherland by Joseph O'Connor atm, it's one of those sad books that just takes the piss constantly, quite funny actually :P But my favourite books atm are A Gate At The Stairs and Zen & The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance. That book just relaxes the hell out of me. :) Really like writing too, but I haven't had much time for it since the start of this year. :(

Sickening how you can get so burnt out by doing so little. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Graduation mass now in a few minutes, is jeans, check shirt and tie formal enough, I'm not going full out suit. Although I did experiment with jeans and the suit jacket its a bit too contrasting :D

All the lads always wear suits to ours but I'm guessing we're just more formal! :P Then again, if it's an all boys school you're in it probably won't be as formal because you won't have girls organising it. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

We wore uniforms to ours. Probably cause it was on at 1 in the day. Probably to give us a longer night out :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement