Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert '11/'12 Off-Topic 2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

What ?! I'll loan you it :O how could you not find out how it ends :O
    ha I loved the VFD thing :) I always thought it was so cool, it was so mysterious :) I will defo have to re-read them :)
    I was way too much of an impatient child to read like 7 books before finding out what it was, think I stopped reading after the one where they go to boarding school? And they live in a shack with crabs everywhere so they sprinkle salt on them. How do I remember that? >_>

I'd love to finally finish them, I'm sure they're still lying around somewhere...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Meowth

Togepi wrote: »
    I loved A Series of Unfortunate Events!

Always hated it when it explained words I did know and not the ones I didn't. :L
    I loved how he explained words at the start :) even if i knew them :) boardsie book club ? I love talking bout books ... ye would never have guessed :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Haha I had an amazing JC history teacher, didnt get her for LC :( 83 in JC mock, B in the real thing, aiming for a C3 in the LC, blegh :L

Ah yes, thats the one! :P I'd never have been able for biology, I am so squeamish; we had a sex talk earlier in the year and I had to leave :o

My year's really small (~75 of us) but theres this huge gulf of 500+ people then bam, its all 300 and below, its mad :pac: I think 10+ got over 500 in the mocks but I'd wonder how many of those were genuine. We'll see in August I guess ;)

I used to be extremely squeamish. Had to leave a sex talk in third year I think. One time I felt sick looking at a diagram of a heart. :L I've gotten much better in the last few years, I don't even mind dissections. :)

I think there are around 75ish in my year too. I don't know exactly, there used to be a lot more but people have left/some are doing LCA now etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

I loved how he explained words at the start :) even if i knew them :) boardsie book club ? I love talking bout books ... ye would never have guessed :P

Aw I used to be such a bookworm, I miss the book-loving me! I just stopped reading when I went to secondary school, found my library card a while ago and it expired in 2007. :( I've used it since like, just obviously not much! I blame the internet as much as I blame the amount of homework I used to get as a Junior. Need to read more this summer! I used to stay up 'til all hours just reading when I was little, wish I still read that much!

Any book reccomendations are welcome. :D

Anyone like Terry Pratchett? I was OBSESSED from about 4th class to 2nd year. Last summer I read one of his books in German :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

I found the Harry Potter books to be an excellent read. Pity they don't get the exposure they deserve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

I had a good reading streak there for a while (The Shadow of the Wind, read it!) but now I haven't picked up a book that isn't school-related in weeks :( Imma make a reading list for summer

Last thing I read was American Psycho. Great read, though extremely dull in places and extremely morbid in others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

I found the Harry Potter books to be an excellent read. Pity they don't get the exposure they deserve

This.
    I read all 7 HP books. In 2 languages each. Oh and the Tales of Beedle the Bard.

I read when I need to take my mind of things. Nothing makes you forget a situation better than losing yourself in a good book

Out of curiosity how much sleep does everyone here get? I'm averaging 5-6 these days

• Advertisement

Aw I used to be such a bookworm, I miss the book-loving me! I just stopped reading when I went to secondary school, found my library card a while ago and it expired in 2007. :( I've used it since like, just obviously not much! I blame the internet as much as I blame the amount of homework I used to get as a Junior. Need to read more this summer! I used to stay up 'til all hours just reading when I was little, wish I still read that much!

:) ok well i'm reading house of night atm (dont read, they are bad but I was dared to read them :P
    Matched series
    The Hunger Games
    Looking for Alaska (Patch recommended it to me)
    Darren Shan books (love love love)
    Jodi Picoult (for the more serious reads)
    One Day by David Nicholls
    Fallen series
    Beautiful Dead series
    Dark Touch novels
    Skulduggery Pleasant
    Dracula
    The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
    13 Reasons why
    Confessions of a Fallen angel
    I am Number four
    emmm they are all i can think of on the top of my head :L
    As you can see I love my series :P anyone give me any book recommendations ? :)

finality wrote: »
    Anyone like Terry Pratchett? I was OBSESSED from about 4th class to 2nd year. Last summer I read one of his books in German :)

Never heard of him :( shame :(

on the topic of sleep , my average is now 2-4 hours lately :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

Are you ever reading a book and then decide to read the last page or chapter to find out the ending. I always do this half way through, I just can't help it. Really spoils the actual ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

All this talk of books intrigued me to take a look through my collection (was a huge reader before this LC) and at the very back of the shelf I just found a book entitled 'Coping with Adolescence and Puberty'.Mother of God.

I read when I need to take my mind of things. Nothing makes you forget a situation better than losing yourself in a good book

Out of curiosity how much sleep does everyone here get? I'm averaging 5-6 these days

Around 5 hours is my average nowadays. Much better than 3rd or 4th year, when I'd stay up most of the night talking to my boyfriend. :L Actually instead of studying for my junior cert I spent the nights talking to him. He was doing his leaving at the same time so it was probably a bad life decision for him then. :L I probably went to bed around 3-4am most nights. Stayed up all night a few times a month too.
    I was so messed up back then!

:) ok well i'm reading house of night atm (dont read, they are bad but I was dared to read them :P
    Matched series
    The Hunger Games
    Looking for Alaska (Patch recommended it to me)
    Darren Shan books (love love love)
    Jodi Picoult (for the more serious reads)
    One Day by David Nicholls
    Fallen series
    Beautiful Dead series
    Dark Touch novels
    Skulduggery Pleasant
    Dracula
    The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
    13 Reasons why
    Confessions of a Fallen angel
    I am Number four
    emmm they are all i can think of on the top of my head :L
    As you can see I love my series :P anyone give me any book recommendations ? :)

Never heard of them :( shame :(

on the topic of sleep , my average is now 2-4 hours lately :/
    Love Darren Shan! Have every single one of his books, all of which have been reread several hundred times :D

Love Darren Shan! Have every single one of his books, all of which have been reread several hundred times :D

Same :) I'm reading those stupid house of night books .. and I have the last larten crepsly book to read... and its just staring at me ... but gah house of night is terrible and it never ends :L :P
    Oh The mortal instruments aswell peeps :P theres another good series :)

Around 5 hours is my average nowadays. Much better than 3rd or 4th year, when I'd stay up most of the night talking to my boyfriend. :L Actually instead of studying for my junior cert I spent the nights talking to him. He was doing his leaving at the same time so it was probably a bad life decision for him then. :L I probably went to bed around 3-4am most nights. Stayed up all night a few times a month too.
    I was so messed up back then!

Haha sounds like what I do during the summer! School just takes it out of me though :p I'd be failing everything if I started pulling all-nighters

Anyone heard of the twilight series?

Anyone heard of the twilight series?

Worst movies I've ever had to sit through -_-

Worst movies I've ever had to sit through -_-

House of Night books are even worse trust me .... :P and there are ten of them... and they are releasing more.... :pac:
    and with that i'm going off to read :P night lads :)

• Advertisement

Same :) I'm reading those stupid house of night books .. and I have the last larten crepsly book to read... and its just staring at me ... but gah house of night is terrible and it never ends :L :P
    Oh The mortal instruments aswell peeps :P theres another good series :)
    House of Night? Is that Darren Shan?
    Ah, same here! Haven't got the time to read a text lately never mind a book :pac: Also anything by Kevin Wilson is amazing! Fear by Jeff Abbott is pretty good too :D also, when I was in the Gaeltacht first time round a lad in my room brought a load of books. Read two called Austlander and The Demon's Lexicon. Dunno who wrote them but they were seriously good reads!

House of Night? Is that Darren Shan?
    Ah, same here! Haven't got the time to read a text lately never mind a book :pac: Also anything by Kevin Wilson is amazing! Fear by Jeff Abbott is pretty good too :D also, when I was in the Gaeltacht first time round a lad in my room brought a load of books. Read two called Austlander and The Demon's Lexicon. Dunno who wrote them but they were seriously good reads!
    Oh god no :P never mix up those horrible books with the great Darren Shan :L :P The House of Night is like by P.C Cast and Kristen Cast... awful...
    The Demon's Lexicon... I've been trying to get my hands on that !!! but shops where I live don't have it :(
    anyways now i'm off to bed night for reals this time :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

I probably average about 1 book a year.
    As you can see I'm clearly quite the bookworm.

Oh god no :P never mix up those horrible books with the great Darren Shan :L :P The House of Night is like by P.C Cast and Kristen Cast... awful...
    The Demon's Lexicon... I've been trying to get my hands on that !!! but shops where I live don't have it :(

hah I think my sister's really into those, they seem pretty terrible though I've never so much as read the cover :L

hah I think my sister's really into those, they seem pretty terrible though I've never so much as read the cover :L
    I'm never going to bed :L is she reading house of night ? Dear lord I hope she ain't really young :O

I'm never going to bed :L is she reading house of night ? Dear lord I hope she ain't really young :O

She was definitely reading them at some stage. She's 16. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

Lads, did anyone else do The Lonesome West for their comparative? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Eathrin wrote: »
    I probably average about 1 book a year.
    As you can see I'm clearly quite the bookworm.

I'm the same rarely read. I prefer movies .

I rarely read but I've found there's lots of times I've intended to read then not bothered or I start reading and get bored and stop reading and won't go back to it. I'm not sure whats the last book I read not including school books. I think it might have been the Twilight Saga only read it because everyone was talking about it .

I did really like "Dear John" by Nicolas Sparks. I read that after watching the movie I liked reading the letters. It was a few years ago when I read it.

• Advertisement

M&S* wrote: »
    Lads, did anyone else do The Lonesome West for their comparative? :(

I did that as my comparative for my last years LC.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement