Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert '11/'12 Off-Topic 2

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

DO IT, REZNOV.
    (Or you could bump the old one but I'd say half the nominees are gone by now.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

Second last day today, we had our awards ceremony. It was pretty shit, apart from all the 6th years getting our signed year photos for free (we usually have to pay for them). Second last day today with all the people in my year that I hated up until not so long ago. :( It's a sad time in my life. Shirt signing day tomorrow, should be fun :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

I actually can go from hating 80% of my year to loving them all in a matter of minutes. I can't wait to begin university, and then I'm sad that I'm leaving school.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I'll miss my friends from this year I probably won't see all of them after the LC I reckon I'll only keep in touch with 4/5 of them. I only see 3 out of
    10 from last year but we only ever go on nights out and never meet up during the day. My year is okay but I don't speak to the majority of them. I kind of miss my old school I could speak to more and everyone spoke to everyone this year people stick in their groups. It feels weird not seeing my old teachers the teachers at this place it's not the same . I'm so ready for uni though :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Think some of the teachers are coming out tomorrow night after all, we're possibly going to a gay bar. Good times.

Also, weird question but are there like official SEC answer books? Because I've only ever used the school ones, and what if the lines are way smaller or something? I hate small lines.

• Advertisement

Namlub wrote: »
    Think some of the teachers are coming out tomorrow night after all, we're possibly going to a gay bar. Good times.

Also, weird question but are there like official SEC answer books? Because I've only ever used the school ones, and what if the lines are way smaller or something? I hate small lines.

Yeah the official paper the give out has a small seal on it, but it's more or less the same as regular exam paper you'd use in school Afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

reznov wrote: »
    I think boards.ie Leaving Certs should have an award ceremony under various, trivial categories. Has it been done other years?

AWARD!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Eww. Just drove home by the SEC on the way home from the Pool. It looked so pretty in the sunlight, surrounded by its beautiful trees. The glare I just gave the people driving out from it. They probably thought I was psycho! :pac:

It's so weird driving by the SEC building nearly every 2nd/3rd day knowing if I was a mastermind I could break in there, grab the papers and share it with all my boardsie buddies.

Happy thoughts..

Glad I dont live near it - it'd kill me knowing the exams are sitting there and I cant see them :eek:

The worst thing is the building itself is actually really nice. Hiding the fact that what lies within its evil heart has caused many a sleepless nights for helpless Leaving Certy boppers.

• Advertisement

Oh you can cheat, and here's your plan.
    Feature length movie on cheating in the leaving cert, enjoy procrastinators.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Eathrin wrote: »
    <YouTube>

Feature length movie on cheating in the leaving cert, enjoy procrastinators.:pac:

Summary? :P

Thats so long , I might forward parts lol not that I'd actually cheat.

Watched a tiny bit of it, cringing. Oh god. What a bad plot. :pac:

Hoping to God we get a question on the role of Horatio this year for Hamlet. Got 95% in the essay I gave my Teacher, <3

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Hoping to God we get a question on the role of Horatio this year for Hamlet. Got 95% in the essay I gave my Teacher, <3

If you don't mind me asking what kind of things would you write about in an essay on Horatio?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Oh my god, applied maths question 2s are doing my head in. They're SO easy when I look at the marking scheme but I CAN'T DO THEM :(

Meh, he hasnt been asked since the old course. I'll look over him anyway.

If deception comes up, however...I got 93% on that today. :cool:
    Also praying I can fit one of my short stories into P1. Every time I've done them lately, off the top of my head, I've gotten 96-100, and I just know I'll mess it up in the real thing. :eek:

Is Horatio a likely person to come up? I'm thinking Claudius as a character essay won't come up again, I really hope role of women come up , Horatio wouldn't be too bad haven't done an essay on him yet or any character yet only theme essays so far.
    Does normally both a theme and character come up in the exam?

Yep, I think its always been a theme + a character so far.

Finally perfected my CAO, yay!
    I also had a look at the 2011 applied maths marking scheme and oh god, that subject is just gibberish to me. I'd love if I could have tried it but I think I'd have given up hope on life by now :L It looks a little bit project mathsy too with the way they give you actual situations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

I'm actually hoping for Treatment of Women. It's such a nice essay. I got 57/60 for it in the mocks too! Fingers crossed it'll make an appearance!

Patchy~ wrote: »

I also had a look at the 2011 applied maths marking scheme and oh god, that subject is just gibberish to me. I'd love if I could have tried it but I think I'd have given up hope on life by now :L It looks a little bit project mathsy too with the way they give you actual situations.

Yeah that's why there's no need for project maths, we already have applied maths, real world stuff.
    Also we work out real world problems with real maths, not explaining what the implications of driving a car to get from a to b are.

Cool so you could just learn the themes or is that to risky but I will do a Hamlet character essay, I don't think Ophelia or Gertrude would come up on their own. I'm guessing revenge won't come up again either.

If you don't mind me asking what kind of things would you write about in an essay on Horatio?

Not at all! I discussed:
    • His 'commentating' in the first scene- how it gives the reader information re: political affairs of Denmark/Fortinbras etc.
    • Fulfills the role of increasing dramatic tension (We learn about Hamlet's unexpected return to Denmark through a letter he sends Horatio)
    • He is a key witness in identifying the Ghost
    • Fulfills the role of telling Hamlet about the appearance of the Ghost
    • Acts as Hamlet's 'confidant' throughout the play- we only see the true Hamlet through his Soliloquys and his conversations with Horatio
    • Horatio is a foil to Hamlet in the sense that he is not a 'slave to his passion' and 'not plagued by indecision'
    • Horatio is a symbol of loyalty and integrity in the corrupt court of Elsinore
    • Horatio helps the audience remember Hamlet's finer qualities in the final scene as we see his devotion to him

Not too bad really. Overall it got 57/60 and somehow lost 1 mark for Mechanics even though there's nothing wrong with the spelling/grammar :rolleyes:

What's on the list for you Patch? :P

Yeah that's why there's no need for project maths, we already have applied maths, real world stuff.
    Also we work out real world problems with real maths, not explaining what the implications of driving a car to get from a to b are.
    Wait, thats not applied maths? It was talking about cars and uniform speeds, and I dont see the practicality of knowing about dropping particles but then again, this is me we're talking about :P
    Cool so you could just learn the themes or is that to risky but I will do a Hamlet character essay, I don't think Ophelia or Gertrude would come up on their own. I'm guessing revenge won't come up again either.
    You could I think :) But you'd kick yourself if a nice character question appeared and they interlink a bit I find. I have a few done on Hamlet's character since he's meant to appear :) Yeah, I doubt anything asked will have appeared before, hence why I highly doubt women will appear.
    What's on the list for you Patch? :P
    International Languages :D If my LC goes horribly wrong I also have UCD arts down which would be the same thing, I'd just have to work for the year abroad, but being a language lover I wouldnt mind. :D And yourself? :)

International Languages :D If my LC goes horribly wrong I also have UCD arts down which would be the same thing, I'd just have to work for the year abroad, but being a language lover I wouldnt mind. :D And yourself? :)

Lovely! I'd love to be better at French, but alas i'm just praying for the B2.

Law in NUIM. Still have to decide whether I want to do the BCL Degree (Law + a subject) the BBL Degree (Law + Business) or the LLB (Bachelors of Laws)

Applied maths is all about working out what's happening to particles in motion. There's no beating around the bush like in maths paper 2. You get a question, you solve it.

Lovely! I'd love to be better at French, but alas i'm just praying for the B2.

Law in NUIM. Still have to decide whether I want to do the BCL Degree (Law + a subject) the BBL Degree (Law + Business) or the LLB (Bachelors of Laws)
    I'll die if I dont get the A1, c'est mon truc ;-; They just make so much sense to me...unlike maths :P Ohhhh nice, business and law sounds like it'd be nice for you! :D
    Applied maths is all about working out what's happening to particles in motion. There's no beating around the bush like in maths paper 2. You get a question, you solve it.
    It looks so interesting, I think I'd try it if I could go back in time, it might have improved my regular maths ability :pac: Looks so alien to me though haha.

I just read through my story from earlier again, and I'd had the girl cheat on her boyfriend with another girl while drunk and being lazy, I simplified the plot to remove the significance but didnt remove that bit because I liked how I'd described it and it was something different. My teacher was like "Yeah yeah it was great, and the opening paragraph was a little risqué" :pac: Would love to write that story this year :P

Eww. Just looked at the 2011 Applied Maths Marking Scheme- it looks like my worst nightmare. Serious congrats to anyone who can manage stuff like that, it truly boggles my brain tbh :cool:

• Advertisement

I'll die if I dont get the A1, c'est mon truc ;-; They just make so much sense to me...unlike maths :P Ohhhh nice, business and law sounds like it'd be nice for you! :D

I can't understand how anyone can get an A1 in French :pac: My Teacher was telling me how one of her students last year got an A1 and left an hour before the exam, I was just sitting there in total disbelief at how anyone could manage an A1 in something so unpredictable!

You got an A1 in the Mock didn't you? Jeez. Well done like!

I can only manage A1's in Business where it's basically the same questions every year tbh! No thinking necessary! Suits me perfectly!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement