Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert '11/'12 Off-Topic 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

Another ENFP! Yay! :D Nice one guys! I listen to it everyday in the hope of getting better at understanding French :pac: and I'm the same with the movies Patchy :P I wanna make sure I'm fully fluent at French before I learn German (I don't do German at school but I wanna learn it 'cos Germany sounds like the shpot!), so that's why I'm asking. :L When would yous say that a person can say, "I'm fluent at such and such a language"? :)

When you speak the language as though your mothertongue. No hiccups, absolute cultural awareness and ability to comprehend colloquial and complex literate terms. Coming out of school, you're far from fluent. Only way to reach fluency is residence in the corresponding country.

Yah but finality, we're Einstein and Darwin billionaires?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I haven't studied today yet woke up late and went in for English. I usually start studying at about 9.30. I guess one late wakening isn't too bad. I'm starting from 2pm :). My teacher went through short stories and said I need to think of a story and then on the day I'll use that story that I've made up and fit it into the title. But I the usually get my ideas from the title rather than just making up a story... Do you need to have a story prepared? I was just thinking of having a few plots in mind.

Carl Jung is a INTP too the person who came up with the personality theories :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

reznov wrote: »
    When you speak the language as though your mothertongue. No hiccups, absolute cultural awareness and ability to comprehend colloquial and complex literate terms. Coming out of school, you're far from fluent. Only way to reach fluency is residence in the corresponding country.

Yah but finality, we're Einstein and Darwin billionaires?

Hmm, I don't quite mean like that. I mean fluent in the sense that you'd be able to understand a native speaker with no problems at all and have a natural flowing conversation with, the only way someone could achieve what you're talking about is if they were born into the language (imho). Having said that I agree with ya and want to go to France someday so I can become fully fluent :)

And finality, I don't mean to rain on your parade anything... but yeah. :D

Edit: I just saw the INTP types, they're pretty cool too. :P There seems to be a ton of INTP philosophers, which is awesome. And Albert Speer! Deadly haha. For some reason I could see an ENFP and an INTP making an amazing combination, playing music together or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

Hmm, I don't quite mean like that. I mean fluent in the sense that you'd be able to understand a native speaker with no problems at all and have a natural flowing conversation with, the only way someone could achieve what you're talking about is if they were born into the language (imho). Having said that I agree with ya and want to go to France someday so I can become fully fluent :)

And finality, I don't mean to rain on your parade anything... but yeah. :D

Not at all. Such fluency is achieved if one emigrates at an early age, having learned one language beforehand. However, I have a friend who has learned 3 languages to almost that degree. Two in his childhood, one in adulthood, so it is possible. I consider nothing else real fluency.

Famous INTJ:
    * Arnold Schwarzenegger - actor, Governor of California
    * Arthur Ashe - tennis champion
    * Augustus Caesar - Roman Emperor
    * C. Everett Koop - former U.S. Surgeon General
    * C. S. Lewis - apologist, author (The Chronicles of Narnia)
    * Calvin Coolidge - American President
    * Charles Rangel - politician, decorated war veteran
    * Chester A. Arthur - lawyer, American President
    * Chevy Chase - actor, comedian
    * Dan Akroyd - actor, comedian, musician
    * Donald Rumsfeld - former U.S. Secretary of Defense
    * Dwight D. Eisenhower - American President
    * Edwin Moses - Olympic gold medalist
    * General Colin Powell - former U.S. Secretary of State
    * Greg Gumbel - TV sportscaster
    * Hannibal Barca - Military Commander
    * Ivan Lendl - tennis champion
    * James K. Polk - American President
    * Jane Austen - author (Pride and Prejudice)
    * Joan Lunden - Journalist
    * Josephine Tey - English author
    * Katie Couric - journalist
    * Lance Armstrong - cyclist (seven Tour De France wins)
    * Maria Shriver - journalist, wife to Arnold Schwarzenegger
    * Martina Navratilova - tennis champion
    * Michael Dukakis - former Governor of Massachusetts
    * Orel Hershiser - baseball player (pitcher)
    * Pernell Roberts - actor, activist
    * Peter Jennings - journalist
    * Raymond Burr - actor (Perry Mason), vintner
    * Rudy Giuliani - former New York City mayor
    * Sir Isaac Newton - Astronomer
    * Susan B. Anthony - civil rights leader
    * Thomas Jefferson - American President
    * Veronica Hamel - actress
    * William F. Buckley, Jr. - journalist
    * William J. Bennett - politician
    * Woodrow Wilson - American President
    * General Ulysses S. Grant – Union general, American President
    * Friederich Nietzsche – philosopher
    * Niels Bohr – physicist
    * Peter the Great – Russian tsar
    * Stephen Hawking – astrophysicist
    * John Maynard Keynes –
    * Lise Meitner – chemist
    * Ayn Rand – philosopher, author
    * John F. Nash Jr. – mathematician, game theorist
    * Norbert Wiener – mathematician, founder of cybernetics
    * Nikola Tesla – physicist, engineer, inventor
    * Glenn Gould – Canadian pianist and composer
    * Stanley Kubrick – film director (2001: A Space Odyssey)
    * Jean-Paul Sartre – philosopher
    * Erik Satie – composer, pianist
    * Helmuth von Moltke – German military general
    * Isaac Asimov – biochemist, science-fiction author (I Robot)
    * Theodore Kaczynski – infamous “Unabomber”
    * Lewis Carroll – author, logician, mathematician
    * Franz Kafka – author
    reznov - boards.ie member

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

Niels Bohr, Kubrick, Sartre, Satie, Kafka, Asimov? Nice one :D ENFP's seem to mostly just be professional ****-disturbers, whereas INTJ's seem more... structured. Guevara, Castro, Ahmadinejad, I could see a scrap breaking out betwen them and an INTJ pretty easily! :pac: Yeah, I know what you mean about the fluency thing. Hopefully I'll be able to do the same as your friend, I love languages. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Awwww I'm the same as Richard Dawkins, I'm going to have to reevaluate my entire perspective on life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

I did the personality test and got ENTP :P Not sure if thats good or bad..haha :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

I got ENTJ which is also known as a "trailblazer". That sounds terrifyingly destructive. :pac:

Edit: I'm also ecstatic because this is the first time I've ever been described as an extrovert. :D My guidance counselor says I don't have the people skills for the career I want to go into but I think I prefer the quizzes advice.

You can get to know more about them if you google which ever type and click the first link which says portrait of a. (type) . It's interesting too and the careers it has down for me one of them is actually what I want to do :).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Meowth

Graduating tomorrow :( Mixed feelings here about it all :o I bet I will cry :rolleyes: like a bawse :cool: :P

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Just changed my facebook password to a really long one so I won't log in as regularly! Hopefully I'll get distracted less now:) Didn't get anything done today in the library at all, literally nothing!I was there with my 2 friends and we were laughig and joking the whole time :P NEVER going in with friends again :L

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Does anyone here know how to download the listening part of the French exam for the last few years? I've been looking through the Folen's website for ages but of no avail :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Siobhnk

IFSJ :) we did that quiz in school too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Siobhnk wrote: »
    IFSJ :) we did that quiz in school too :)
    ENFJ! ( Visionaries-Mentor) Fairly accurate IMO! Seems like i'm meant to be either an Actor or a Political Activist! :D :P

Wesc. wrote: »
    Just changed my facebook password to a really long one so I won't log in as regularly! Hopefully I'll get distracted less now:) Didn't get anything done today in the library at all, literally nothing!I was there with my 2 friends and we were laughig and joking the whole time :P NEVER going in with friends again :L

I did the same with my Facebook then it started to remember it and I changed again to another random password full of numbers my browser remembered it. I blocked it for 48hours instead now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

What are the broadest possible Hamlet topics?
    I only want to do 2 essays max. I'm quite a minimalistic person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 kunto9

Eathrin wrote: »
    What are the broadest possible Hamlet topics?
    I only want to do 2 essays max. I'm quite a minimalistic person.

gertrude & ophelia

hamlet character

You know for the short stories... Do you make a new story on the day of the exam with an idea from the title or have you already got a story made up and you'll just tweak your story around to fit whichever title comes up?

You know for the short stories... Do you make a new story on the day of the exam with an idea from the title or have you already got a story made up and you'll just tweak your story around to fit whichever title comes up?

I have a war essay prepared so will try and tweak it a bit :P Its got a bit of romance in there too so I hope I can fit it in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

Some idiots with eggs who didn't know when to stop got my entire year kicked out and our graduation ceremony cancelled! It's ridiculous.

New-ish here, so yeah erm.. hey :D

Em, just seen there that this is going to be discussed on FM104 tonight at 10:30 :p

http://www.herald.ie/news/gardai-are-called-in-as-pupils-run-amok-3110175.html

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

Just took a day off all homework and study to go see my boyfriend. WHAT WAS I THINKING :O

David1994 wrote: »
    I have a war essay prepared so will try and tweak it a bit :P Its got a bit of romance in there too so I hope I can fit it in!

Oh my teacher wants me to write a story to have prepared. I usually get ideas from the title . I might try and write one. I have the one I handed up yesterday I might use that and just expand on it somehow.

You can get to know more about them if you google which ever type and click the first link which says portrait of a. (type) . It's interesting too and the careers it has down for me one of them is actually what I want to do :).

All of the careers I've been considering are listed as good intp careers. :L Professor, teacher, engineer, psychiatrist, scientist, even actor.

Oh my teacher wants me to write a story to have prepared. I usually get ideas from the title . I might try and write one. I have the one I handed up yesterday I might use that and just expand on it somehow.

Ye I think I will stick with this essay as it is A1 standard :D
    I might have a quick look at previous essay titles and see it if I could fit it in.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

I decided I want to stick with HL maths simply because I cant really see myself failing it, but I studied trig just there (well, looked at notes from a seminar I went to) and oh god, project maths trig is the devil. I want to vomit all over it. :eek:

finality wrote: »
    All of the careers I've been considering are listed as good intp careers. :L Professor, teacher, engineer, psychiatrist, scientist, even actor.

Haha is actor listed down on one of the sites? I used to want to be a actor. I'd never be a teacher/professor/mathematician . I wouldn't mind science or engineering but systems analyst is the one I like :).
    I found a long list of careers http://forums.intpcentral.com/showthread.php?15235-INTP-career-list

David1994 wrote: »
    Ye I think I will stick with this essay as it is A1 standard :D
    I might have a quick look at previous essay titles and see it if I could fit it in.

I'll see what my teacher says tomorrow, I'd much prefer just to have a general plot in mind rather than the whole essay learnt off. I keep thinking if I get a title that does not relate to the story I won't know how to change my story around to relate to the title. I'm usually okay at coming up for ideas in what to write on the day or I might change my mind about the story. She said I need one prepared though but my last english teacher said you should just have certain phrases or a line you want to include as you don't know what you'll have to write about and not to learn off one story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Stalin and rugby

20514352.jpg

• Advertisement

Haha is actor listed down on one of the sites? I used to want to be a actor. I'd never be a teacher/professor/mathematician . I wouldn't mind science or engineering but systems analyst is the one I like :).
    I found a long list of careers http://forums.intpcentral.com/showthread.php?15235-INTP-career-list

It was definitely on one site somewhere. :L I love acting more than anything. I was in this play called FML last year and it was so amazing. :o I'm definitely going to try to do as much acting as possible in college, I can't wait, there's no feeling like being on the stage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement