Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert '11/'12 Off-Topic 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

paddyzk wrote: »
    Well instead of making a new thread I think I'll post here to disrupt the off topicness :pac:

Can any one doing business who absolutely hates it tell me what the worst thing about it and why you hate it ?I may be forced to do it next year because of timetable restrictions.I don't mind JC business but I find some it repetitive.

It's so repetitive and very easy for anyone to get a B in.
    Put in any work at all compared to your other subjects and you should get an A1 no problem.
    I've done two mocks and got 89% and 82%, that said I've done no work, the majority of my class got 60% and above.
    I'll put in the work sometime and should get the A, but I think because so many people can get a B, you need to be particularly good to get an A.

What do I hate about it? The feckin marking scheme, so fickle, always losing marks for not including an example or not expanding enough.
    Also it's a very learney-offey type subject. Obviously for lazy people that doesn't suit too well, but it's repetitive enough you can wing most of it.

Had I the choice I would have taken Economics instead but I hadn't the choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Eathrin wrote: »
    Going to try my hand at a comparative essay.
    Any tips for General Vision and Viewpoint?

I usually make sure to make at least three comparisons sometimes more for each of the texts in each paragraph with whichever layout you are using. And use different comparative words. It's not too hard once you just keep comparing everything. I'm not sure if you're doing the 70 mark or the a) b) question. Thats generally what I do with the 70mark question and it works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 insua

Cycled around ucd there for some inspiration

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

Just found out the applications for my 1st preference went up 33% :eek: Depressing:/

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I GOT AN A2 IN HISTORY. This is a major achievement. SECOND IN A ROW! I was getting C3/D1 so going up so much is actually fantastic. Now, if I can stick to this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

Is it just me or does Maths get more confusing the more you study it? Could have sworn I could do complex numbers last week but I haven't a notion now. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

I decided to study Chemical Equilibrium today and it's actually fine! Don't know why I never understood it in class, it's a lovely chapter, and a full question on it wouldn't go astray! My teacher and my grinds teacher also think we're due a full question on Rates of Reactions which would suit me perfectly!

I decided to study Chemical Equilibrium today and it's actually fine! Don't know why I never understood it in class, it's a lovely chapter, and a full question on it wouldn't go astray! My teacher and my grinds teacher also think we're due a full question on Rates of Reactions which would suit me perfectly!

I have no idea what that is, but well done! Nice feeling not being scared of a question going into an exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Meowth

so my school is so nice..... told us not to come to school tomorrow like "don't dare turn up" we have a study day ....
    and then thursday I graduate :'( this is all too real :(

I have no idea what that is, but well done! Nice feeling not being scared of a question going into an exam.

It used to be my least favourite chapter :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

We graduate a week from today but our principal is a total ass and says hes not planning to let us off early. They always let the 6th years off early. Its because people have started to stay at home because we do FA in class and they got really mad over it, and the logical solution is to keep us in of course...

Meanwhile I am about to go to a business class where we will do nothing (literally, we finished the course again) and then...wait for it...RELIGION. "Cant prioritise some classes over others"?! WE ATE LOLLIPOPS IN CAREERS, PISS OFF ._.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Ye Chemical equilibrium is a very nice chapter :D Fuels and Heats also...
    I havent gone over chem. equilibrium in a while so might look at it tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Raeone

Getting scared.. Just keep getting the feeling of walking out of the exam on the 6th and not knowing anything..

David1994 wrote: »
    Ye Chemical equilibrium is a very nice chapter :D Fuels and Heats also...
    I havent gone over chem. equilibrium in a while so might look at it tomorrow!

Fuels & Heats <3
    It's like the only full question I answered in the mocks! :p

Fuels & Heats <3
    It's like the only full question I answered in the mocks! :p

All I can say thank god for Fuel and Heats :D We hadnt have it covered for the mocks so I didnt have the luxury of answering it :P If I did though I am pretty sure I would of got more than a D3.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭AllyMcFearless

Some idiots with eggs who didn't know when to stop got my entire year kicked out and our graduation ceremony cancelled! It's ridiculous.

New-ish here, so yeah erm.. hey :D

Some idiots with eggs who didn't know when to stop got my entire year kicked out and our graduation ceremony cancelled! It's ridiculous.

New-ish here, so yeah erm.. hey :D

Hi, harsh luck there! May I call you egg?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭AllyMcFearless

Hi, harsh luck there! May I call you egg?:)

I suppose so, I've been called worse after all :P

Quick question-Would ye say I would ok with being able to fit an essay on homelessness and youth problems into any of the Irish essay titles?? My teacher says we would be grand for this!

But there's no titles as such. It can be anything at all. I wouldn't be so sure about that but then again it's fairly easy to manipulate the essay title to your strengths.

• Advertisement

Yes I know there are no specific titles but I was looking through the sample papers and sometimes its hard to find a title that will fit your essay.

Just finished my essay short story :).
    I think I will stick to short stories and possibly speeches depending on the title.

For the short story/narratives do you find it easier writing in the first or third person?
    I find it much harder when I write in the third person and easier when I'm writing in the first for some reason :S.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Just finished my essay short story :).
    I think I will stick to short stories and possibly speeches depending on the title.

For the short story/narratives do you find it easier writing in the first or third person?
    I find it much harder when I write in the third person and easier when I'm writing in the first for some reason :S.

Well as for me, I just have one story learnt off in the third person and fit it into everything, no matter how badly it fits I WILL FIT IT. :P I just can't think up and then write a whole essay in like just over an hour, nevermind write a good one! :o

always first person for me, but usually i pretend im a woman, they have more gushing emotions to describe :L

Patchy~ wrote: »
    always first person for me, but usually i pretend im a woman, they have more gushing emotions to describe :L

I can't write in the third person I spent ages trying to write a story before figuring it's easier to write in the first person. Although I just remembered I don't think I mentioned my gender or name when I wrote the story. Hopefully I did okay. I can't describe things as well in third person then there's all the he said , she said etc...

I never use much dialogue to be honest, my marks rocketed up once I started being more descriptive instead. :P I usually just say something like "He asked me if...but I told him...", and a bit of dialogue sometimes but I dont overdo it :)

Wesc. wrote: »
    Well as for me, I just have one story learnt off in the third person and fit it into everything, no matter how badly it fits I WILL FIT IT. :P I just can't think up and then write a whole essay in like just over an hour, nevermind write a good one! :o

I don't have a story planned up I have started to think of different events of what could happen to make it realistic. Some of the times I've written them it's been too unrealistic. Then I'll think of a plot on the say whatever comes to mind.

Patchy~ wrote: »
    I never use much dialogue to be honest, my marks rocketed up once I started being more descriptive instead. :P I usually just say something like "He asked me if...but I told him...", and a bit of dialogue sometimes but I dont overdo it :)

Yeah I rarely use much dialogue in the first person. In the third person I usually go off track in the story and I can't think of interesting conversations. With the first person I usually try and imagine a scenes from movies sometimes I think of a real person to get idea and use them for inspiration for the main character. I don't always end up using that person , maybe just think of some interesting characteristics they have. Is 4 pages enough for the story? I ended mine after the 4 pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Our teacher told us that the examiners love stories that are realistic and tragic or touches on themes of loss of a loved one etc.

• Advertisement

Yeah I rarely use much dialogue in the first person. In the third person I usually go off track in the story and I can't think of interesting conversations. With the first person I usually try and imagine a scenes from movies sometimes I think of a real person to get idea and use them for inspiration for the main character. I don't always end up using that person , maybe just think of some interesting characteristics they have. Is 4 pages enough for the story? I ended mine after the 4 pages.
    Yeah 4 is enough :) As long as you get enough into it to make it a good story thats all that matters :)
    Fergus_ wrote: »
    Our teacher told us that the examiners love stories that are realistic and tragic or touches on themes of loss of a loved one etc.
    Yessssssss! I always do mine like that but was never sure if I'd make the examiner sad :L I did one last week on a man whos sad over his wife's death and I got 96/100, if I manage to fit that in I'd die :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement