Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert '11/'12 Off-Topic 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Yeah she's not the most interesting I'd rather her over Boland . Rich is easy to write a personal response for. It's just now if you write a new essay you can't tell if you've done it right without the teacher there to correct it.

Yeah I know hopefully I will have a good answer done.Dunno why but I keep forgetting quotes when I try an answer.. :( Its annoying :P

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭BeanbagBallbag

Patchy~ wrote: »
    tumblr_m4qjqruPW41qgyi4so1_500.png
    This is from the 2006 Integration q, part C (ii), it says to show that the area enclosed by f(x) and g(x) is half the area of that enclosed by f(x) and the x-axis, which is previously worked out as 32. All you people (Cian, Wesc, finality) who tried to teach me integration will be proud to know I made it this far! :P

But what I dont get is this - you integrate f(x) between 1 and -1 (the crudely labelled blue parts in my picture) and subtract g(x) in between the same boundaries. Surely thats going to leave with the area of the blue bits and not the orange bit. Is it not the orange bit you're looking for, the area between the graphs? :confused:

It will leave you with the area of the orange part. If you're subtracting g(x){blue part}, it will be gone, leaving you with the orange part. :)

Edit: Underlined above ^, integrating f(x) between -1 & 1 gives the area of the orange part and the blue part, not just the blue part.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

David1994 wrote: »
    Yeah I know hopefully I will have a good answer done.Dunno why but I keep forgetting quotes when I try an answer.. :( Its annoying :P

I haven't tried writing them without the essay in front of me yet. I can't remember any of Bolands or Richs until I rewrite the essay. I'll probably type them. It doesn't take as long. I still have a few more Hamlet essays to write. I might just make plans instead and make it up on the day. I have a few samples of some. I keep focusing on English more than the other subjects.

I haven't tried writing them without the essay in front of me yet. I can't remember any of Bolands or Richs until I rewrite the essay. I'll probably type them. It doesn't take as long. I still have a few more Hamlet essays to write. I might just make plans instead and make it up on the day. I have a few samples of some. I keep focusing on English more than the other subjects.

We are the opposites then.I keep focusing on subjects like Geography,Biology and Chemistry more than English. For Hamlet I have sample plans made out for them so that is how I am learning for Hamlet. I think tomorrow I will spend some time just learning off quotes for English :P I need to.. Ah so little time its annoying :/
    If you want a look at any of the Hamlet plans you can!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Wkds

tumblr_m4qjqruPW41qgyi4so1_500.png
    This is from the 2006 Integration q, part C (ii), it says to show that the area enclosed by f(x) and g(x) is half the area of that enclosed by f(x) and the x-axis, which is previously worked out as 32. All you people (Cian, Wesc, finality) who tried to teach me integration will be proud to know I made it this far! :P

But what I dont get is this - you integrate f(x) between 1 and -1 (the crudely labelled blue parts in my picture) and subtract g(x) in between the same boundaries. Surely thats going to leave with the area of the blue bits and not the orange bit. Is it not the orange bit you're looking for, the area between the graphs? :confused:
    Did this whole paper earlier and got 83% :eek: If i bothered learning off the proofs I would have gotten 86%. An A in the leaving cert is actually possible somehow :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

We are the opposites then.I keep focusing on subjects like Geography,Biology and Chemistry more than English. For Hamlet I have sample plans made out for them so that is how I am learning for Hamlet. I think tomorrow I will spend some time just learning off quotes for English :P I need to.. Ah so little time its annoying :/

I never make out plans for Hamlet, learning the bloody quotes and the structure of the play is hard enough :mad: I had no idea it was even a done thing to learn off Hamlet essays until a month or two ago! I couldn't be arsed learning off whole essays for it tho, I prefer to take in a load of quotes and build my essay around them.

Wkds wrote: »
    Did this whole paper earlier and got 83% :eek: If i bothered learning off the proofs I would have gotten 86%. An A in the leaving cert is actually possible somehow :)

Fair play :D

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

If the Trigonometric formula don't come up in Maths I'm gonna feel fairly stupid for spending 3 hours on them :P

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

It will leave you with the area of the orange part. If you're subtracting g(x){blue part}, it will be gone, leaving you with the orange part. :)

Edit: Underlined above ^, integrating f(x) between -1 & 1 gives the area of the orange part and the blue part, not just the blue part.
    Ooooooooohhhhh, so g(x) between -1 & 1 is just the blue bit? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

If the Trigonometric formula don't come up in Maths I'm gonna feel fairly stupid for spending 3 hours on them :P

Oh they will. And even if not, they're very handy proofs for trigonometry overall.

If we get a proof in one of the Q6s, I'll be over the moon.

• Advertisement

I have to start on geography next. I'm trying to do it in the order of what subjects I have on the first week. If you just learn the quote within the paragraph that will make it easier. I'm not gonna get to fussed about learning too many. The same with Hamlet. There are quite a few which come up regularly. I have 3/4 good Hamlet essay done. I really want the Role of women as I have a a1 on that . I can remember that one well. I have most of the plans I need to learn them. GV&V and T&I is good if I stick to the 70mark question. I need to practice the map drawing in geography. My teacher said you have 6mins to draw the maps, my maps don't come out looking the best. I have to learn the essays. I have a lot of business and geography. Economics is right at the end with a gap inbetween.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭BeanbagBallbag

Ooooooooohhhhh, so g(x) between -1 & 1 is just the blue bit? :o

Yes :). Integrating g(x) or f(x), between two points gives you the area encompassed by the curve and the x-axis between those points. From the picture you can see that the blue part is the only part encompassed by g(x) and the x-axis between -1 & 1 :).

I have to start on geography next. I'm trying to do it in the order of what subjects I have on the first week. If you just learn the quote within the paragraph that will make it easier. I'm not gonna get to fussed about learning too many. The same with Hamlet. There are quite a few which come up regularly. I have 3/4 good Hamlet essay done. I really want the Role of women as I have a a1 on that . I can remember that one well. I have most of the plans I need to learn them. GV&V and T&I is good if I stick to the 70mark question. I need to practice the map drawing in geography. My teacher said you have 6mins to draw the maps, my maps don't come out looking the best. I have to learn the essays. I have a lot of business and geography. Economics is right at the end with a gap inbetween.

Would you mind posting the Hamlet essays if you have them typed up? I'm really worried about a role of women essay coming up because I haven't studied it at all, it'd make a big difference. I can type up my notes on poems in return if ya want :) And David could you post up your Hamlet plans? That'd be great :D If you do History I have essays made out for some stuff and I can send you my poetry stuff as well if ya want that in return :)

I have have bput 10 more Geography essays to learn off and go over others.Its just too much imo. We had little test recently and I got 50/50 for a map and Regional Geography Q. My map was alright I thought but it got full marks so I dunno...It doesnt have to be perfect I suppose :P I will probably do a bit of Maths now then do some Geography..Happy days!!
    Decided to leave Chemistry for now as I have a week inbetween to study for it :D Thank God for that :)

reznov wrote: »
    Oh they will. And even if not, they're very handy proofs for trigonometry overall.

If we get a proof in one of the Q6s, I'll be over the moon.

Are you learning the Acute and Obtuse case for the Sine Rule?
    Also, For the Cosine rule Concise Maths has two methods for the Cosine rule if I learn Method 1 would I be ok? (It's the one using the distance formula)

Yes :). Integrating g(x) or f(x), between two points gives you the area encompassed by the curve and the x-axis between those points. From the picture you can see that the blue part is the only part encompassed by g(x) and the x-axis between -1 & 1 :).
    Ahhh I see! I was looking at it the complete wrong way, oh god, such a silly mistake :o Thank you for helping! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

Ahhh lads. First two Hamlet essays I put time into and I got A-! If only I did that last year, I might have a chance of doing ok in this.

I have have bput 10 more Geography essays to learn off and go over others.Its just too much imo. We had little test recently and I got 50/50 for a map and Regional Geography Q. My map was alright I thought but it got full marks so I dunno...It doesnt have to be perfect I suppose :P I will probably do a bit of Maths now then do some Geography..Happy days!!
    Decided to leave Chemistry for now as I have a week inbetween to study for it :D Thank God for that :)

There's quite a lot in geography. I have to finish historic settlement I think that always comes up or most of the time. It takes ages to learn off an essay I don't have time to write them all so I have to try and remember it in my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Are you learning the Acute and Obtuse case for the Sine Rule?
    Also, For the Cosine rule Concise Maths has two methods for the Cosine rule if I learn Method 1 would I be ok? (It's the one using the distance formula)

Where is this in concise maths? I have no recollection of this :L

finality wrote: »
    Where is this in concise maths? I have no recollection of this :L

p293-295 It's not too bad :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

Is everyone writing out sample essay after sample essay for english? Reading through these forums that seems to be the case :O :( I'm just learning off quotes and making it up on the day :L :L

Hayezer wrote: »
    Is everyone writing out sample essay after sample essay for english? Reading through these forums that seems to be the case :O :( I'm just learning off quotes and making it up on the day :L :L

Yeah I'm doing the same as you :P But I never study for English. I find I can cover 3 other subjects in the time it would take me to practice essays. See how it goes on the day :pac:

There's quite a lot in geography. I have to finish historic settlement I think that always comes up or most of the time. It takes ages to learn off an essay I don't have time to write them all so I have to try and remember it in my head.

Ye Historic settlement does I think.I usually try and learn off the essay in my head and then test myself by writing it out. I really want an A :P

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

Yeah I'm doing the same as you :P But I never study for English. I find I can cover 3 other subjects in the time it would take me to practice essays. See how it goes on the day :pac:

Yep same as me. For Pre, I learned main quotes of each poet, few quotes for single text and our points the teacher gave us on comparative and went in. I got a B1, as long as you understand the poems themselves and know the general jist of your single and comparative and just really think about the question, I think it's common sense really.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

So much fun today. Arrive back to school drunk after lunch !! Bring on grad mass and out after :)

Ye Historic settlement does I think.I usually try and learn off the essay in my head and then test myself by writing it out. I really want an A :P

I'm not too bad at it. I have a few notes from last year I think or I'll just read few the textbook. I haven't got a map so I just have to learn the symbols and analyse the different settlements. I don't mind a B1 or more. I haven't done many of the short questions this year I have most done from last year.
    How do you learn off your essays?

Is anyone else find the maps in geography hard to draw. My maps never come out looking right unless I draw it carefully. I can do everything else even the sketch maps. But the map of Ireland, Brazil and Paris or Italy are quite hard to draw.

I can draw Italy and SW USA fine, but Ireland.....I cant even draw it looking at it :S Hoping theres a map in the short q's to help me or else I'll have to avoid an easy question! :(
    If you find Brazil hard to draw you could learn India or SW USA, just for the map. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Are these trigonometry proofs likely to come up? :( And how much would they be worth? I never did them, thought I'd be grand just leaving them out, but I can't afford to throw away marks if they're worth a lot. :(

• Advertisement

I can draw Italy and SW USA fine, but Ireland.....I cant even draw it looking at it :S Hoping theres a map in the short q's to help me or else I'll have to avoid an easy question! :(
    If you find Brazil hard to draw you could learn India or SW USA, just for the map. :)

I can draw Brazil if I draw it in the big form with the S America on it. My Ireland map comes out looking too fat on the right side. They usually have a map of Ireland at the back of the maps. Still drawing the map of Ireland with a map I still can't get it perfect.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement