Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert '11/'12 Off-Topic 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I don't think mine will be open I wouldn't go anyway and I have no classes on . My english teacher did her last class on Thursday . Studying home all day . I get more done at home and I could always go library if I need to.
    I need to make sure I'm up early even though I hate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Eathrin wrote: »
    Honestly if I were helping I would have given you a key combination that would temporarily disable your computer for the next month:pac:

This is very true. I need to focus.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Togepi wrote: »
    Eathrin go to sleep have you not got school in the morning? :P

Yes:(
    I'll be good now:) I'm wondering how many will show tomorrow? I'll get more done sitting in a classroom anyway than I will at home and hopefully the sun is out so I can take a break too!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

In for maths soon, aaaahhhhh.

I hate personal essays, I've never tried one though I could probably actually do them easier than short stories since you dont really have to be creative. The closest I've ever come was a comp B part in the mocks and a few after and I only really start to realize how much I can waffle in fancy language then, and ended up with 46/50 both times :L Makes me think I should give them a shot but...stories are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Alright lads...For the English poetry question how much quotations should I have for each poem? In most of my answers I have around 4-5 quotes from each poem but I am not sure if that is too little or too much :confused:
    How much do ye have? :D

• Advertisement

David1994 wrote: »
    Alright lads...For the English poetry question how much quotations should I have for each poem? In most of my answers I have around 4-5 quotes from each poem but I am not sure if that is too little or too much :confused:

I'm the same that usually gets you a good grade. My teacher said if you want a high grade you need to know more quotes. But if you're just hoping for a C/D grade or two quotes. I always have at least 4/5 in each poem then I have a last paragraph about the imagery. I never done any less quotes than that and all the sample essays have quite a few quotes I used them as my guideline. I just finished my Plath essay just there I have 4 for all of mine. You can still get a high C1 having many quotes. A few of mine have gotten that when I forget to refer to the question. As long as your sticking to the question should be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

Got an A1 in my re-mock on Monday and I need to celebrate so I'll help ya out :pac: Haha, usually 3 per poem. Link them in with your statements, if you're going to really dig into the poem and take your own conclusions that maybe aren't so obvious be liberal with quotations and explain how you came to the understanding that you did. Statement in english is worthless without proof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Meowth

Done 2 whole maths exam papers already :) delighted, I'm on fire today :)

How are you all studying for poetry are you just writing a personal response essay and learning that and you'll try and fit that into whatever question? How many poems are you using? I only use 4.

I have 3 more write/edit. I had Eavan Boland and a Adrienne Rich both good grades except I needed to make Eavan Bolands a personal response but that was my first poetry essay. I've lost both of the essays I have to write them both again or find them. I need to fix my Heaney essay. I don't want to write new ones I won't be able to get it corrected. It might not be as good as the others. I guess if you can write it good the first time you can do it again.

How are you all studying for poetry are you just writing a personal response essay and learning that and you'll try and fit that into whatever question? How many poems are you using? I only use 4.

I have 3 more write/edit. I had Eavan Boland and a Adrienne Rich both good grades except I needed to make Eavan Bolands a personal response but that was my first poetry essay. I've lost both of the essays I have to write them both again or find them. I need to fix my Heaney essay. I don't want to write new ones I won't be able to get it corrected. It might not be as good as the others. I guess if you can write it good the first time you can do it again.

Ye I am just learning personal response for the poems and fit it in on the day :P
    I hate learning English essays and quotes.It is annoying because I need to spend time on other subjects but ah shure... :/ How do you learn your essays? For the poems I am just learning the quotes and knowing overall what poems are about.

• Advertisement

Ye I am just learning personal response for the poems and fit it in on the day :P
    I hate learning English essays and quotes.It is annoying because I need to spend time on other subjects but ah shure... :/ How do you learn your essays? For the poems I am just learning the quotes and knowing overall what poems are about.

I generally can remember them. I just remember read the for poems a few times . I have the quotes in the essays so I just learn it in with that . It makes it easier rather than learning all the poems. I try and make sure I know what the poems about by reading the summary. I'm thinking I might write the 5 quotes that I'm using for each poem on a page so I can quickly look at it. I have the Sylvia Plath essay typed up. I'll probably do the other and typing it can help you learn it. I know Plath and Rich well as their easy. Kavanagh I need to look over his but I might just learn off a sample answer as I don't have time to go through him but he seems easy enough. Heaney I can't remember the quotes in his well.

Nothing like rusty algebra to get an integration (a) part wrong. And I forgot the +c. :|
    The class was really useful today though, realized that I didnt actually understand some stuff like I thought I did o_O The integration in Q7 2007, for example :L

7B 2006 was a bitch though :(

I generally can remember them. I just remember read the for poems a few times . I have the quotes in the essays so I just learn it in with that . It makes it easier rather than learning all the poems. I try and make sure I know what the poems about by reading the summary. I'm thinking I might write the 5 quotes that I'm using for each poem on a page so I can quickly look at it. I have the Sylvia Plath essay typed up. I'll probably do the other and typing it can help you learn it. I know Plath and Rich well as their easy. Kavanagh I need to look over his but I might just learn off a sample answer as I don't have time to go through him but he seems easy enough. Heaney I can't remember the quotes in his well.

I know some of the poets are hard to remember(the quotes that is).I love Larkin and find him easy really easy to write about :P Plath and Boland are nice enough too! However Rich is just..God!! No way I will pick her if I have choice haha!
    I was also thinking of writing out the quotes for each poem as they are things I generally cannot remember too well.
    What you aiming to get in English?

I know some of the poets are hard to remember(the quotes that is).I love Larkin and find him easy really easy to write about :P Plath and Boland are nice enough too! However Rich is just..God!! No way I will pick her if I have choice haha!
    I was also thinking of writing out the quotes for each poem as they are things I generally cannot remember too well.
    What you aiming to get in English?

I didn't do Larkin I wanted to he seemed easy but my teacher didn't do Larkin and did Heaney instead. They went through his poems at the revision course I went to. I haven't got enough time to write notes and write an answer . I like Rich maybe she relates to women more though I know the guys in my class found her hard to relate to. I can do answers on Boland(Although I've not gone over her poems in ages), Plath , Rich probably Kavanagh. Heaney is okay I just can't write about him. The questions that come up for him are weird as well.
    I need at least a B1 I'm hoping I get an A1 or even an A2. I really hope a Plath question comes up she's interesting. What about you?

I didn't do Larkin I wanted to he seemed easy but my teacher didn't do Larkin and did Heaney instead. They went through his poems at the revision course I went to. I haven't got enough time to write notes and write an answer . I like Rich maybe she relates to women more though I know the guys in my class found her hard to relate to. I can do answers on Boland(Although I've not gone over her poems in ages), Plath , Rich probably Kavanagh. Heaney is okay I just can't write about him. The questions that come up for him are weird as well.
    I need at least a B1 I'm hoping I get an A1 or even an A2. I really hope a Plath question comes up she's interesting. What about you?

I dunno what is just Larkin just seems to click with me.. :P I did a test on Larkin the other day and got 37/50 despite doing only 3 pages and leaving out a poem.
    So I think he works for me.Plath and Boland are alright to talk about but Rich is just boring :)
    I am going for an A1 like you but even an A2 would be nice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Nothing like rusty algebra to get an integration (a) part wrong. And I forgot the +c. :|
    The class was really useful today though, realized that I didnt actually understand some stuff like I thought I did o_O The integration in Q7 2007, for example :L

I was at this maths quiz a few months ago and there was this really difficult integration question, harder than pretty much anything I've seen in past papers, and I had 5 minutes to do it... I got the right answer, left out the +c and didn't get the point for it. It broke my heart. I vowed never to forget the +c again, and I haven't so far. :L

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Patchy~ wrote: »

I definitely wouldn't have got part (ii) of 7 (b) 2006 "/

Hate Trig

I dunno what is just Larkin just seems to click with me.. :P I did a test on Larkin the other day and got 37/50 despite doing only 3 pages and leaving out a poem.
    So I think he works for me.Plath and Boland are alright to talk about but Rich is just boring :)
    I am going for an A1 like you but even an A2 would be nice :D

Yeah Rich is boring but easy to write about I find Boland more boring though.
    What way do you format yours? I usually have the intro then a paragraph on each of the 4 poems and then a paragraph on language & imagery. Then a short conclusion paragraph.

finality wrote: »
    I was at this maths quiz a few months ago and there was this really difficult integration question, harder than pretty much anything I've seen in past papers, and I had 5 minutes to do it... I got the right answer, left out the +c and didn't get the point for it. It broke my heart. I vowed never to forget the +c again, and I haven't so far. :L
    Hahaha oh god :L +c is such a troll :P
    I definitely wouldn't have got part (ii) of 7 (b) 2006 "/

Hate Trig
    Yeahhhh same :( I forgot to multiply by the derivatives of the angles but I still wouldnt have gotten it. Trig like that is like a constantly diverging road - you can do it right, but you wont end up with the right answer. "Knowing how way leads on to way, I doubted if I should ever come back" :L

Yeah Rich is boring but easy to write about I find Boland more boring though.
    What way do you format yours? I usually have the intro then a paragraph on each of the 4 poems and then a paragraph on language & imagery. Then a short conclusion paragraph.

I usually do:
    • Intro with quote about poet
    • 4 Paragraphs discussing each poem
    • Conclusion

I have never done an extra paragraph discussing imagery/languages but it seems like a nice way to develop your answer! I have gotten A's in all my poetry answers using the above format but I usually talk about the imagery and stuff like when discussing the poem.Do you think I should do it as a seperate paragraph?

• Advertisement

I usually do:
    • Intro with quote about poet
    • 4 Paragraphs discussing each poem
    • Conclusion

I have never done an extra paragraph discussing imagery/languages but it seems like a nice way to develop your answer! I have gotten A's in all my poetry answers using the above format but I usually talk about the imagery and stuff like when discussing the poem.Do you think I should do it as a seperate paragraph?

I sometimes might go off point or spend to long talking about the imagery so I left it to the end or my teacher might have said to write the last paragraph on the language/imagery not too sure. I usually do 1/2 striking imagery which stands out from each poem. You could try and see how it goes. Do what feels best for you though. Both ways could work as long as you mention the language/imagery.

I sometimes might go off point or spend to long talking about the imagery so I left it to the end or my teacher might have said to write the last paragraph on the language/imagery not too sure. I usually do 1/2 striking imagery which stands out from each poem. You could try and see how it goes. Do what feels best for you though. Both ways could work as long as you mention the language/imagery.

I think I will see if I have time at the end to fit in something about the imagery,etc. if I forgot to throw it into the paragraphs on the poems. I think I will just have to learn off a sample Rich essay and adapt on the end :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

I'm doing Heaney, Kinsella, Plath, and Larkin for my poets, I've got 5 poems picked out for each of them. A personal response question for Heaney or Plath would just be graaaaaaavy, I find themed questions on Heaney hard as it's difficult to stick to the question because his poetry's so dense, but a personal response? Come at me bro. A personal response on Plath would be a bit harder, it'd mean I'd have to pretend to be suicidal to write enough :P But if either Plath or Heaney came up I could probably BS a decent 35-45 mark answer on them, I'm just worried on the day that I'll be spoiled for choice. :pac:

Haven't done hardly any study today, went to English revision from 9-11 then came home. Fecked about on the laptop for a while, dl'd some software, then practiced guitar and drums for about 2 hours. :P And now I'm back at the latop again :pac: Going to my mates in an hour or so to make some tunes. I haven't had a day off since last Monday so I'm not too worried, and I'll do 2-3 hours when I get home on Bio experiments. God I hate them. :mad: At least Physics experiments are interesting.

I think I will see if I have time at the end to fit in something about the imagery,etc. if I forgot to throw it into the paragraphs on the poems. I think I will just have to learn off a sample Rich essay and adapt on the end :/

I have to redo my Rich essay as well. I'm not sure if she's easier for girls to speak about her than the guys. I think this is quite good about a few of her poems. For help on writing it .

http://zulunotes.com/wiki/index.php/Adrienne_Rich

tumblr_m4qjqruPW41qgyi4so1_500.png
    This is from the 2006 Integration q, part C (ii), it says to show that the area enclosed by f(x) and g(x) is half the area of that enclosed by f(x) and the x-axis, which is previously worked out as 32. All you people (Cian, Wesc, finality) who tried to teach me integration will be proud to know I made it this far! :P

But what I dont get is this - you integrate f(x) between 1 and -1 (the crudely labelled blue parts in my picture) and subtract g(x) in between the same boundaries. Surely thats going to leave with the area of the blue bits and not the orange bit. Is it not the orange bit you're looking for, the area between the graphs? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

I started at 8.55 this morning (didn't get the alarm :P) did from that to 11.00 Then from 11am-2pm, had lunch. Going to do maybe 2 hours of the Human Elective, have a break for 30 minutes and then try and do 2 French Comprehensions, Do Hamlet Notes (Imagery/Struggle between Hamlet and Claudius) Revise GV+V and Revise Larkin's Poetry me thinks.

Haven't done any Larkin since before the Mocks, got 41/50 in the Question in the Mocks- only planning on studying the 4 poems I did in the Mock though. The question was about imagery/symbolism. Hoping that with that and maybe a personal response question i'll be sorted for poetry!

I have to redo my Rich essay as well. I'm not sure if she's easier for girls to speak about her than the guys. I think this is quite good about a few of her poems. For help on writing it .

http://zulunotes.com/wiki/index.php/Adrienne_Rich

I don't mind her but she just isnt exactly appealing to write about.. :P Thanks for that site,it looks really helpful :D

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

Never mind :)

I don't mind her but she just isnt exactly appealing to write about.. :P Thanks for that site,it looks really helpful :D

Yeah she's not the most interesting I'd rather her over Boland . Rich is easy to write a personal response for. It's just now if you write a new essay you can't tell if you've done it right without the teacher there to correct it.

• Advertisement

I'm doing Heaney, Kinsella, Plath, and Larkin for my poets, I've got 5 poems picked out for each of them. A personal response question for Heaney or Plath would just be graaaaaaavy, I find themed questions on Heaney hard as it's difficult to stick to the question because his poetry's so dense, but a personal response? Come at me bro. A personal response on Plath would be a bit harder, it'd mean I'd have to pretend to be suicidal to write enough :P But if either Plath or Heaney came up I could probably BS a decent 35-45 mark answer on them, I'm just worried on the day that I'll be spoiled for choice. :pac:

Same I find Heaney hard to write about . It took me nearly two hours to write a theme question on him. I haven't tried a personal response yet. Heaney has too many themes that could come up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement