Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Alanstrainor bought a 325CI!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

RoverJames wrote: »
    Nope :)
    I'd like a 160 myself but wouldn't recommend one over a 325ci tbh to anyone else.

Turncoat bast*rd!!! :pac:

Cheers James,............

Have a look at Owen's recent posts on the E46 cars he viewed, few nice things to look out for :)

• Registered Users Posts: 64,777 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Is there any reason to avoid high mileage(120,000) 2002 era 325ci's? Will get the car fully checked out by a mechanic before purchasing

The straight 6 is very strong, your mechanic will tell you about the state of the suspension / cooling and you're getting a manual (so avoiding the ever so controversial autobox / high miles discussion)

As long as your mechanic is a good mechanic (or a good BMW indy mechanic), it's a recipe for success :)

Good luck with the chasing. Keep us posted!

(Have you driven an E46 325ci yet?)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

unkel wrote: »

(Have you driven an E46 325ci yet?)

Cheers unkel! I have! Well it was a 4 door, my uncle has one. And got a spin in Conzy's one at the meetup. The sound of that straight 6 is unreal. And it's some machine to go too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Also Alan, regarding the 325, conzy is a good man to go to if you have any questions.

Vanos seals is something he's forever talking about. Apparently once their done, it gives you an extra c. 15bhp extra. Also, the clutch delay valve is something he has already done and he says it's made a good improvement.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Also Alan, regarding the 325, conzy is a good man to go to if you have any questions.

Vanos seals is something he's forever talking about. Apparently once their done, it gives you an extra c. 15bhp extra. Also, the clutch delay valve is something he has already done and he says it's made a good improvement.

Hahaha i've been PMing him since Sunday, he's knows his stuff, and no doubt i'll be keeping in touch if I end up in one!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Changed your thread title for ya!

How dare you:pac:

How dare you:pac:

See you added in the "c":pac:

See you added in the "c":pac:

May as well get it right!

My dad has an e60 523i too, and he had an e39 520i before that so there's been a few bmws in the family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I drive a 325ci, they make by far the most sense if your getting a 6 cylinder (because of tax), bmw, beautiful, smooth engines, your also getting the rear wheel drive and 50/50 weight distribution... there is nothing to watch out for on them that isnt usual wear and tear, except the rear subframe on some of the earlier E46 were prone to tearing, majorly expensive repair job. Get it checked by Gary Doyle in Chelsmford motors or Richie in bloomfield motors, that would be my recommendation, forget getting someone out to check it, you need a ramp etc. That engine can take a hell of alot of miles, once it has a reasonable service history...

May as well get it right!

My dad has an e60 523i too, and he had an e39 520i before that so there's been a few bmws in the family.

You're coming right out of the closet now, never had you down as someone interested in BMWs :pac:

What car started this thread again? Some sort of small crap Jap family hatch, was it? :D

You're coming right out of the closet now, never had you down as someone interested in BMWs :pac:

What car started this thread again? Some sort of small crap Jap family hatch, was it? :D

The noise of Conzy's 3'er tearing down the motorway flipped a switch in my brain!

You'll be hooked soon if you aren't already. The straight 6 is a very, very smooth engine. And that is one hell of a step up from your supermini :)

Fair play to ya - you are just giving yourself a well deserved major promotion. Enjoy :D

You'll be hooked soon if you aren't already. The straight 6 is a very, very smooth engine. And that is one hell of a step up from your supermini :)

Fair play to ya - you are just giving yourself a well deserved major promotion. Enjoy :D

Hahaha we'll have to leave the congrats and fair plays until I have it parked in the drive!

Indeed :D

And on that note I'll have ya know and rub it in that all BMWs I ever bought had V8 petrol engines. Far superior to them wee six pots :pac:

On a more humble note - my current V8 car (a supercar in its day) is sitting untaxed, unloved off the road on my driveway :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Cheers James, I knew about the coolant issue alright. I suppose making sure the head gasket isn't shagged is the main thing! The one im looking at is a manual too, which is supposed to be bomb proof.

Thanks again

As ya said, they're essentially bomb proof, and it's a damn good choice and a fine step up :)

I swear we'll have a decent e46 section at the meets in future if things keep going this way :D I can think of at least 6 owners now, and that's not really stretching my mind!

I'd say if you're looking at a 120k one, certainly factor in Eibachs if you weren't already and I'd be willing to bet on a new set of shocks in the not too distant future, if they've not already been done (IIRC bmw recommend replacement at ~100k) You won't be stuck for info on them anyway, that's a certainty :)

Despite mine being daysul I'm prone to picking up a thing or two about other cars/engines :P

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭td2008

Great car, have one about 3 years and no issues. The only problem is you WILL want an m3 next :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Looks like I won't have to recommend you a Bimmer at all now dude! :D

Good choice man! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

i aint gonna congratulate him until its sat in his drive. i feel he's a bit like me in choosing cars :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

So did you bough 325 or not m8? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

A-ha..... I saw the thread title and then 3 posts in someone started talking about 325Ci's having the same engine as a Celica, waited for a massive argument and it never came. Thought everyone had gone mad! :confused:

Trust me lads, you'll know when i've bought something:D

Going to view two 325ci's on Thursday. One is a 2002 uk import with 128,000 miles. Owner has had it for 2 years and looks mint. It's also an M sport. The other is an Irish car, doesn't look as good, but it's a 2003 irish car with only 90,000 and but the owner has only had it less than 6 months. Both are worth checking out, but I like the sound of an owner having a car for 2 years over 6 months.

Anyone have any opinions on the above? Or am I reading too much into it.

If I can't spot anything majorly with the uk import then i'll get my mechanic to have a look and take it from there really!

First post amended so it all makes a bit more sense!

Any links?

The "irish" car versus "Uk" car wouldn't weigh anything with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Black one for me, red is too gaudy IMO. Also look good in blue, what's that nice shade Topaz or Biarittz blue? Too common in silver.

I thought they would be asking a little less for a 325, even a '03 seeing as they've got massive engines an all! :cool:

The 03 is a facelift too, and a much nicer looking car imo!

The black on is on the expensive side alright! Over my budget, i'd ideally want to get him down to 3500 being honest. But i'll have to wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

How come the 2003 example does not have a multifunction steering wheel? I thought they were standard fitment on later cars.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

How come the 2003 example does not have a multifunction steering wheel? I thought they were standard fitment on later cars.

Well spotted maybe it was an ES and the interior was retro fitted or well spec'd initially?

No MF steering wheel means no cruise which is a really nice feature on the 325

You could ask the seller for the VIN so you can get the build sheet. There should also be a build sheet under the rear seats.

Advertisement