Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Alanstrainor bought a 325CI!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

I think i'll have to go and look at this one.

That's a cracking looking motor:)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

ABEasy wrote: »
    Don't want to appear like a Toyota fanboy but how do you figure a cooper s would piss all over a celica/corolla, cooper s (to 06) is 20 less bhp than Toyota, about the same weight (think celica is lighter) and The celica handles better than the cooper (not sure bout corolla).

Afaik, those 190 bhp figures are when new and on Jap fuel, like most Jap cars when they get over here they lose 20 or more bhp.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

If your at the next meet, you can go for a spin in my MRS, might give you a fell for the engine. With regards to reliability they are pretty okay, if you look after the known issues.

1 Lift bolts have been known to break, usually never causes major problems, new revised bolts are about €10 not to long to fit them.

2 Camshafts can ware, generally caused by lack of oil. It will reduce the effect of the second higher lobes have on power.

3 Oil pumps can go boom, either budget to replace it, from memory it wasn't to pricey. The other option is to replace it with a circuitworx oil pump which is of better quality.

Is there much go in the Octavia RS 1.8T? I do quite like the look of them in the flesh... Thats Focus looks delish though, great mileage.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

If your at the next meet, you can go for a spin in my MRS, might give you a fell for the engine. With regards to reliability they are pretty okay, if you look after the known issues.

1 Lift bolts have been known to break, usually never causes major problems, new revised bolts are about €10 not to long to fit them.

2 Camshafts can ware, generally caused by lack of oil. It will reduce the effect of the second higher lobes have on power.

3 Oil pumps can go boom, either budget to replace it, from memory it wasn't to pricey. The other option is to replace it with a circuitworx oil pump which is of better quality.

Awesome man. Cheers! Should be at the next meet alright, whether or not i'll have taken the plunge by then or not remains to be seen:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Just looking for some advice on this one lads.

Rang my broker amongst others this morning. My policy ends in late June, to insure the ST170 until then is an extra 50(on top of 800 paid for the year) on my current policy. I asked them to give me a quote based on my renewal time details and the guy I was speaking to said it was a waste of time as the rates will change a lot.

Also he said that my current policy has extra reduction on it based on driving experience that I had when I first took out the policy, which he said was comparable to 4 year NCB. He said based on the extra 50 for the time remaining I could expect a quote of around 900 fully comp, but couldn't give a concrete answer until renewal.

Just worried about getting screwed come renewal time. Current policy is with Aviva.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Just looking for some advice on this one lads.

Rang my broker amongst others this morning. My policy ends in late June, to insure the ST170 until then is an extra 50(on top of 800 paid for the year) on my current policy. I asked them to give me a quote based on my renewal time details and the guy I was speaking to said it was a waste of time as the rates will change a lot.

Also he said that my current policy has extra reduction on it based on driving experience that I had when I first took out the policy, which he said was comparable to 4 year NCB. He said based on the extra 50 for the time remaining I could expect a quote of around 900 fully comp, but couldn't give a concrete answer until renewal.

Just worried about getting screwed come renewal time. Current policy is with Aviva.

Buy it and then shop around sure!

Buy it and then shop around sure!

Hahahaha, going to have a gander at it in the next couple of days anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

166man wrote: »
    This is a bit left field, but a fine motor nonetheless, you like the Alfa's too iirc..:D

no-image-large.gif&width=400&height=300

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Alfa-Romeo/156/2.0/5513318241490620/advert?channel=CARS

I went to see that when shopping for cars. I didn't buy it ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

View2-10834986.jpeg

Fanboy++

But look at that interior! And low mileage too

• Advertisement

conzymaher wrote: »
    View2-10834986.jpeg

Fanboy++

But look at that interior! And low mileage too

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3217653

I like that one too, id say its an import though, I'll give them a call today.

Don't want to appear like a Toyota fanboy but how do you figure a cooper s would piss all over a celica/corolla, cooper s (to 06) is 20 less bhp than Toyota, about the same weight (think celica is lighter) and The celica handles better than the cooper (not sure bout corolla).

How does a Celica handle better than a Cooper, or Cooper S? The Cooper S is a purpose built machine on it's own chassis with the wheels as far into each corner as possible - built specifically to handle superbly. It's highly rated. The Celica wouldn't hold a candle to a Cooper in corner, and I've driven both (Last gen Celica, 2005).

The Cooper S is also Supercharged, which means instant power is available rather than waiting for the Toyota engine to get into the higher rev ranges. Hit a Cooper S with a smaller Supercharger pulley and a remap, and you'll be over 200Bhp with no engine work.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭ABEasy

Owen wrote: »

How does a Celica handle better than a Cooper, or Cooper S? The Cooper S is a purpose built machine on it's own chassis with the wheels as far into each corner as possible - built specifically to handle superbly. It's highly rated. The Celica wouldn't hold a candle to a Cooper in corner, and I've driven both (Last gen Celica, 2005).

The Cooper S is also Supercharged, which means instant power is available rather than waiting for the Toyota engine to get into the higher rev ranges. Hit a Cooper S with a smaller Supercharger pulley and a remap, and you'll be over 200Bhp with no engine work.

First up I think the cooper s is a fine machine. In my opinion the celica handles better, I've driven both and think the celica has a better balance about it. The celica is lighter, lower and longer than the Cooper which gives a better centre of gravity. Again my opinion!

In relation to the low down power, the published 0-60 times for both are 7 sec's. So the early power band on the Cooper doesn't get you there any quicker! Plus this whole waiting for the 'high revs' is also rubbish, if you want high revs you shift down into them, once there you shift up straight into the 'lift' so can stay in the high power band till you limit out! Plus a simple remap can bring down the rev limit so the lift kicks in earlier, so more power earlier.

Dude, if you think a Celica is a better driving car than a Cooper S, I really don't know what to say to you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3217653

I like that one too, id say its an import though, I'll give them a call today.

cloth seats.... Some nice paddy spec there m8. If you going fr one of these then might aswell get one loaded,

Did you looked in to Honda accord type-r? Some bargains can be gotten out there. And in the end of the day it is functional 4 door saloon.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

cloth seats.... Some nice paddy spec there m8. If you going fr one of these then might aswell get one loaded,

Did you looked in to Honda accord type-r? Some bargains can be gotten out there. And in the end of the day it is functional 4 door saloon.

are them seats not half alacantra?

Those are alcantara seats, not quite cloth!

But it's a UK import, that alone would put me off, but it does look beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

Those are alcantara seats, not quite cloth!

But it's a UK import, that alone would put me off, but it does look beautiful.

Imola Red is one of the best BMW colours imo. Looks amazing when shiny. My Mate had an Imola M3 and it was epic.

I'd trust a high milage UK car than Irish personally. Better roads and often better looked after.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Owen wrote: »
    I went to see that when shopping for cars. I didn't buy it ;)

I remember looking at that ad 18 months ago before I bought my last 156SW - and thinking it was overpriced even then. Now my first SW is for sale, I'm on my 2nd and that Cork one is still for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Wisesmurf wrote: »
    Imola Red is one of the best BMW colours imo. Looks amazing when shiny. My Mate had an Imola M3 and it was epic.

I'd trust a high milage UK car than Irish personally. Better roads and often better looked after.

That has been proven to be a bit of a myth ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

That has been proven to be a bit of a myth ;)

They are deffo higher spec and the roads for the vast majority are much better than over here (i can understand someone living in dublin city not thinking so but here in Co. Galway the roads are pretty awful in places)

• Registered Users Posts: 64,777 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Jimbob 83 wrote: »
    They are deffo higher spec

BMW spec in the UK and Ireland have been identical for at least 5 years now...

But that's probably the exception. The high VRT and higher VAT made optional extras nearly twice as expensive here as in the UK in the previous VRT system

They are deffo higher spec and the roads for the vast majority are much better than over here (i can understand someone living in dublin city not thinking so but here in Co. Galway the roads are pretty awful in places)

I live in Tipperary, not Dublin ;)

I have 4 different roads that I can take to work and each and every one of them is a disaster!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

I live in Tipperary, not Dublin ;)

I have 4 different roads that I can take to work and each and every one of them is a disaster!

Wasn't aimed at you was just a general comment, roads in 80% of Ireland are really really bad so it's hardly a myth.

Wasn't aimed at you was just a general comment, roads in 80% of Ireland are really really bad so it's hardly a myth.

I know where you're coming from but the roads in England aren't much better. People seem to think they're better but it's not always the case.

Is there any reason to avoid high mileage(120,000) 2002 era 325ci's? Will get the car fully checked out by a mechanic before purchasing, but i'm going to view a high miler UK import with 120k on it. I know it's a hard one to answer, but is there anything in particular I should look out for?

They take the miles well, coolant system would be the obvious thing, along with the rear suspension issue thing :pac: I wouldn't be bothered by 120k miles + tbh. That's not too high on a 2002 car to be fair.

RoverJames wrote: »
    They take the miles well, coolant system would be the obvious thing, along with the rear suspension issue thing :pac: I wouldn't be bothered by 120k miles + tbh.

Cheers James, I knew about the coolant issue alright. I suppose making sure the head gasket isn't shagged is the main thing! The one im looking at is a manual too, which is supposed to be bomb proof.

Thanks again

Just get that MG ZR 160.

I think James will agree :D

• Advertisement

I think James will agree :D

Nope :)
    I'd like a 160 myself but wouldn't recommend one over a 325ci tbh to anyone else.

Advertisement