Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would an Ulster win at Thomond prove Kidney wrong?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

phog wrote: »
    I've no idea, Munster certainly win more lineouts than they lose. BTW, what should they be for international level? Best's were poor for a while when he was getting gametime.
    I have to agree that I'd like to see stats but the quality of lineout option would certainly contribute to Munster winning more than they lose.

POC and either DOC/DRyan in the second row and POM and/or DRyan in the backrow certainly helps cover up any cracks.

Its increcedibly rare to see the Munster lineout lose a lineout where the throw is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Leinster7

molloyjh wrote: »
    As for Kidney, if 4 successive failed tournaments haven't told us or him or the IRFU anything, well then we're fubar'ed. There's nothing new to be learned from the weekends action.

Yes, this is correct. It is the IRFU who have failed Irish Rugby, for nearly a decade now. With all of the success Ireland have had, as a national team we continually under-achieve. A lack of vision and innate conservatism comes from the top. After-all the IRFU were one of the last bodies to agree to professionalism in the 90s...

These are the men that continually fail Irish Rugby and us, the fans, must hold them accountable:

Chief Executive PHILIP BROWNE
    Director of Operations & KEVIN POTTS
    Strategic Development:
    J.D. HUSSEY, I.R.F.U. President
    W.B. GLYNN, I.R.F.U. Senior Vice President
    P. FITZGERALD, I.R.F.U. Junior Vice President
    T. GRACE, Hon. Treasurer
    C.C. POWELL, I.R.F.U. Immediate President
    F. CROWLEY, Chairman, Management Committee
    P.J. BOYLE, International Rugby Board Rep.
    P. WHELAN, International Rugby Board Rep.
    M.J. O'SULLIVAN, I.R.F.U. Committee
    S.R. HILDITCH MBE, I.R.F.U. Committee
    L.P. MAGEE, I.R.F.U. Committee
    N. COMYN, I.R.F.U. Committee
    M. CUNNINGHAM, I.R.F.U. Committee
    G. DRENNAN, I.R.F.U. Committee
    L. GALVIN, I.R.F.U. Committee
    T.H.N. JACKSON, I.R.F.U. Committee
    D. KAVANAGH, I.R.F.U. Committee
    D. KEOHANE, I.R.F.U. Committee
    D. LAMONT, I.R.F.U. Committee
    K. LYONS, I.R.F.U. Committee
    I. MCILRATH, I.R.F.U. Committee
    J. O'DRISCOLL, I.R.F.U. Committee
    P. ORR, I.R.F.U. Committee

*waits for ban*

• Registered Users Posts: 23,773 ✭✭✭✭phog

leftleg wrote: »
    Anytime I've watched Varley his darts have been shaky at best; he had a mare against Leinster last week.

Best has had bad games as well which have been well documented; Its clearly the weakest part of his game;

Have you got stats for Varley's throwing to prove that he wins more than he loses??

In my honest opinion; Varely often struck me as very dynamic in the loose; a good ball carrier; poor at throwing and a bit of a penalty machine; feel free to prove me wrong;

I have no stats for these observations just what i observe so if you have some stats id be delighted to be proved wrong on my observations.

I've no great stats either but from watching Munster I'd be fairly confident that we win more than we lose at lineout time and in the main Varley has been our hooker this season. Against Leinster I'm not sure it was all the thorwers fault, certainly there wasone of the five we missed that was in MOD's hands and he failed to hold it, there was possible 2 that went long but was that because the lifters were wrong? Who knows? Leinster lost 3 lineouts in the same game, it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

What's the story with Strauss? he's irish qualified now. Is he on board?
    If he is, then surely our three hookers would be Best,Strauss and Cronin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

What's the story with Strauss? he's irish qualified now. Is he on board?
    If he is, then surely our three hookers would be Best,Strauss and Cronin?

Not yet, he'll be IQ in time for the November internationals.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Winning more then you lose isn't good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

Podge_irl wrote: »

Isn't that what international quality is; rock solid at the darts; dynamic around the park; strong scrummager; knows when not to lie over the wrong side etc;

Its not really Varley is it? I always think hes like that Dennis Fogarty in a way; Good around the park and in the scrum but the darts don't match the rest. Varleys is a good player but the darts will always stop him being international class imo.

As for Best; His darts have good so much better in the last year or so; hes not nearly as bad as he was; he has pretty good darts; very dynamic; isnt a peno machine and is a beast in the scrum.

So what in fact are his actual stats and what should he be getting to be a top H/Cup hooker and a top international hooker?

When a ball goes over the top of the lineout is it always the hookers fault?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

So what in fact are his actual stats and what should he be getting to be a top H/Cup hooker and a top international hooker?

I don't know what his stats are, but I would want my line out to be hitting at least 90%.

And no, it is not always the hooker's fault. Not even close to always

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

When a ball goes over the top of the lineout is it always the hookers fault?
    Do you think he should travel ahead of Sherry then?

• Advertisement

Do you think he should travel ahead of Sherry then?

I was never saying he should or shouldn't go, I was responding to a post about where he couldn't throw to save his life. Yet the poster couldn't tell me what his failure rate is.

Re. the citing incident, how did Poite miss this? From the East terrace I didn't think it was so bad, but the ref must have seen him being upended and should then have checked that he was placeed safely on the ground.

1224314608686_1.jpg?ts=1334179877

From the Irish Times

Advertisement