Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would an Ulster win at Thomond prove Kidney wrong?

Options
  • 07-04-2012 8:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭

Provisional bias aside, tomorrow's match should make for interesting viewing. At 13 we have Earls v Cave at 11 Zebo v Gilroy and most of all at 9 we have Murray v Marshall (we he comes on)

Now I understand Ulster have 1 extra non Irish player but Munster have home advantage so if Ulster win might the likes of Cave, Gilroy and especially Marshall get a call up?

Personally i think the latter two have been outstanding and can not for the life of me understand why Kidney has overlooked Marshall.

Comments

Would be terrible for Irish rugby

- Hugh Farrelly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭niallon

It would more so prove that on the day they were better. Leinster, Ulster and Munster have their fair share of embarrassing defeats through the years but still their players have made the core of the national team. God I sound like Kidney! But think back to 09,when Leinster ran rings around Munster in Croke, wouldn't have called for a Munster cull then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Did the results in the 6N already prove Kidney wrong????????

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Brendan97

Kayless wrote: »
    Provisional bias aside, tomorrow's match should make for interesting viewing. At 13 we have Earls v Cave at 11 Zebo v Gilroy and most of all at 9 we have Murray v Marshall (we he comes on)

Now I understand Ulster have 1 extra non Irish player but Munster have home advantage so if Ulster win might the likes of Cave, Gilroy and especially Marshall get a call up?
    Imo marshall completely outclasses murray, its a shame he doesnt start instead of humphries with peinarr (excuse spelling if wrong) at out-half
    Zebo will probably have the upperhand although you cant rule out gilroy
    Cave will be evenly matched because earls has played alot better at 13 recently
    I hope tuohy plays well because i think he is the best lock in ireland except POC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I don't think Kidney needs much more proving wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭val_jester

Brendan97 wrote: »
    Imo marshall completely outclasses murray, its a shame he doesnt start instead of humphries with peinarr (excuse spelling if wrong) at out-half
    Zebo will probably have the upperhand although you cant rule out gilroy
    Cave will be evenly matched because earls has played alot better at 13 recently
    I hope tuohy plays well because i think he is the best lock in ireland except POC

There is a reason Marshall doesn't start for Ulster, they are much better with Pienaar at nine from the start. Marshall is brilliant at coming on late in the game when players are tired and it has broken up a bit but he lacks control needed from the start, his pass can also be erratic.

Ryan v Tuohy is 50/50 both have been very good this season.
    Cave is a better 13 than Earls, Gilroy has shown more at this
    level at than Zebo.

But the main fault of Kidney was at 12 and Wallace will show how well
    he has been playing this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Yawn...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

This thread should be fun...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭dougieruggie

I think Kidney is pretty set in his ways.

Put it this way, Donnacha O'Callaghan still starts for Ireland.
    Healy didn't get a chance ahead of Marcus Horan until injury.
    Ross didn't get a chance ahead of Buckley AND Hayes until injury
    Sean O'Brien didn't get a chance until injury (he was even behind Leamy for awhile)
    O'Gara started in the QF
    Murray leaped ahead of Reddan and started in the QF
    POM plays a few good games and gets ahead of Henry despite Henry being excellent for the last two seasons now.
    Earls ahead of Trimble in the WC despite Trimble being by far our best back in the warm ups to the world cup

In Kidney's mind you're at a specific disadvantage if your not in the Munster set up. You are at a HUGE disadvantage if your in the Ulster or Connacht set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

Kidneys never wrong; Its Ulster and Leinsters fault for holding O Malley, Falloon, Marshall, O' Connell, Henryand Toner out of the team for "much better" NIQ players; just ask Farrelly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

Kayless wrote: »

Personally i think the latter two have been outstanding and can not for the life of me understand why Kidney has overlooked Marshall.

No, nor will a munster win prove him right.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

leftleg wrote: »
    Kidneys never wrong; Its Ulster and Leinsters fault for holding O Malley, Falloon, Marshall, O' Connell, Henryand Toner out of the team for "much better" NIQ players; just ask Farrelly.

Whereas a Munster backline consisting of Warwick, Howlett, Tipoki and Mafi had no effect on our young Munster backs at all. Sure Earls learned so much sitting on that bench for two years until Tipoki's contract expired.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

skregs wrote: »
    leftleg wrote: »

Whereas a Munster backline consisting of Warwick, Howlett, Tipoki and Mafi had no effect on our young Munster backs at all. Sure Earls learned so much sitting on that bench for two years until Tipoki's contract expired.

You may need a recalibration of sarcasm radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

marco_polo wrote: »
    You may need a recalibration of sarcasm radar.

I believe you should follow your own advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭dougieruggie

shhhhh your not allowed to say that.

For whatever reason, the media (in particularly Thornley) treat Munster as if they can do no wrong. Farrelly's article was ridiculous.

Anyone see Thornley's article today? Particularly the last paragraph....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Anyone see Thornley's article today? Particularly the last paragraph....

will see tomorrow after the match if he is right or wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Blackheath

I am surprised this tread has been so quiet today

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

We are all just horrified at the disaster that has befallen Irish rugby what with Ulster being in the semi-final...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Well atleast the IRFU and the Indo have early excuses in order for the farce that will be the NZ tour... :rolleyes:

I wasn't impressed with Ulster at all. Thought the referee was a shocker, but I did say that before the game. Edinburgh have every chance of making the final on this performance. As for Munster, writing has been on the wall for quite some time. simply a woeful performance :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Ulster were fantastic in the first 35 minutes, and pretty damn good in the last 20. Ref was fine but let Munster away with murder in the second half.

My bet are Clermont, they have the most class. Ulster are lucky toulouse are gone, but Edinburgh are more than capable of doing a job on them.

I thought the ref practically handed the game to Ulster, but if munster were still playing, would they get a try?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

What's with all this ref helping Munster thing. I haven't looked throughout the match thread, but from a neutral, the ref didn't favor either side. He made a few dumb decisions but it didn't favor anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭dtpc191991

I felt desperately sorry for earls today. He has certainly become a future prospect at 13 and I think he could be very good if given the opportunity to work with a proper backs coach. He was one of the few Munster players that looked good today and dangerous in attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

dtpc191991 wrote: »
    I felt desperately sorry for earls today. He has certainly become a future prospect at 13 and I think he could be very good if given the opportunity to work with a proper backs coach. He was one of the few Munster players that looked good today and dangerous in attack.

His pass for Zebo's try was pure class.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭dtpc191991

Hagz wrote: »
    His pass for Zebo's try was pure class.

Yeah that was a great pass. That flick out to Jones was fantastic. Jones unfortunately fluffed it but Earls had set up a real go forward opportunity there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

liammur wrote: »
    My bet are Clermont, they have the most class. Ulster are lucky toulouse are gone, but Edinburgh are more than capable of doing a job on them.

I thought the ref practically handed the game to Ulster, but if munster were still playing, would they get a try?

Jaysus, could you be any more begrudging?!

Ulster deserve so much credit for their HC campaign this year. Not only have they stormed Fortress Thomond in a HC quarter final but when you think of the group that they emerged from, and nearly won, they have proved their class.

There's no point bringing the ref into it, on the balance of things it was a fair result today. Ulster were on the receiving end of some dubious officiating back in the pool stages (remember Dave Pearson?) so I think they're in a HC semi final on merit. They will rightly be favourites to beat Edinburgh and whoever comes out of the Leinster vs. Clermont battle will have to pull themselves back together pretty quickly if they're facing Ulster in the showpiece.

Best of luck to Ulster and Leinster in the semis, here's hoping for an all-Irish final!

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

Fair play to Ulster for winning that match, they deserved it more in the end. All this nonsense about how it's such a disaster for Irish rugby is embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

liammur wrote: »

Ref was fair, if at times lenient to Munster when it came to being off their feet. Munster's indiscipline is not the ref's fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Junkyard Dog

If by fair you mean he had a shocker that affected both teams then yes he was fair! Ulster deserved it they played fantastic Munster were terrible good luck in the semis lads I hope ye go all the way

Advertisement