Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tour de france 2012 MOD WARNING POST 99

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

Didn't want to put this in a stage-specific thread. With Wiggins now in yellow, and being the favourite, is the rest of the Tour going to be boring as hell? (Assuming he puts a chunk of time into Evans today.)

Are we going to see Sky controlling everything, or will they tire themselves out quickly, and things will open up again? Is it just going to a race for second place? Or will the mountains be a battlefield, with Evans and Nibali attacking Wiggins constantly?

How do people see it panning out?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

buffalo wrote: »
    Are we going to see Sky controlling everything, or will they tire themselves out quickly, and things will open up again? Is it just going to a race for second place? Or will the mountains be a battlefield, with Evans and Nibali attacking Wiggins constantly?

I sincerely hope so. I honestly don't think Wiggins can compete on the biggest climbs so I suppose it will be about what the climbers can take out of him on the big mountains versus what he can do elsewhere.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mahoo

i hope its not boring!... Its going to be hard for anyone to attack if Sky keep setting the pace like this. hopefully by the pyrenees they'll be tired and evans can have a go. im sure BMC have singled out a stage for the big attack.

on a different topic. just looked at ten Dams strava from yesterday. its frightening
    http://app.strava.com/rides/12848369

my favourite segment is
    0.5km 134m 53.6km/h 594W 14167VAM 150bpm 00:00:34

14,167 VAM!!!!.. i know its only short but still didnt think that would be possible

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Didn't want to put this in a stage-specific thread. With Wiggins now in yellow, and being the favourite, is the rest of the Tour going to be boring as hell? (Assuming he puts a chunk of time into Evans today.)

How do people see it panning out?

I don't see Evans and Nibali (Evans especially) giving up without a big fight. Cadel will definitely try to throw every spanner in the works and break up the Sky machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

mahoo wrote: »
    i hope its not boring!... Its going to be hard for anyone to attack if Sky keep setting the pace like this. hopefully by the pyrenees they'll be tired and evans can have a go. im sure BMC have singled out a stage for the big attack.

on a different topic. just looked at ten Dams strava from yesterday. its frightening
    http://app.strava.com/rides/12848369

my favourite segment is
    0.5km 134m 53.6km/h 594W 14167VAM 150bpm 00:00:34

14,167 VAM!!!!.. i know its only short but still didnt think that would be possible

managed one climb were he has a previous best back in april, wonder was that a race must surely have been.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Aln_S

Very good post on cycling news re Wiggins' comments about doping.

http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?t=17734

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Yikes, that's some outburst, I don't think the 'mighty' Lance even got that animated !! :eek:

Quoted from the article above:
    “I say they’re just f***ing w**kers, I cannot be doing with people like that,” said Wiggins, who holds a 10-second lead over defending champion Cadel Evans. ”It justifies their own bone-idleness because they can’t ever imagine applying themselves to do anything in their lives.
    “It’s easy for them to sit under a pseudonym on Twitter and write that sort of ****, rather than get off their arses in their own lives and apply themselves and work hard at something and achieve something.
    “And that’s ultimately it – c****,” he added.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I admire Wiggo. But when I see an outburst like that from anyone in any walk of life I automatically assume they are trying to hide something.
    Bankers, regulators and politicians here and elsewhere were guilty of similar reaction leading up to 2007/08. Generations of cyclists and other athletes implicated in doping historically have answered the same question in a similar angry fashion.

I believed that cycling had changed in terms of omertà - I will now reevaluate that belief.

Shane Stokes on twitter has been asking some very sensible and polite questions of Jonathan Vaughters and has been getting the run around IMHO.

This sport is not getting to grips with any of it's historical problems if recent reactions are anything to go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

For his punishment he should have to do the TT today on a hybrid :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Article with interview with Nico and Stephen Roche about the TT in Cyclingnews.
    I'm not a time trial champion yet, but I think the word that I'd use is that I'm now competitive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

holy **** I only just realised Wiggins is a 'mod' , explains his ridiculous side-burns
    ffs I cant be hoping he wins the tour, im ex ska rude-boy
    cmon Froome send that mod back to Brighton. :)

any rockers or psycho-billys out there, lets put our musical differences aside and make sure the mod doesnt win the tour else we will have Paul Weller doing a set on the Champs dElysse. :)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,322 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

holy **** I only just realised Wiggins is a 'mod' , explains his ridiculous side-burns
    Nothing wrong with being a mod, just ask RobFowl;)

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Liamo08

Interesting (If a little long) read from the excellent Sports Scientist site about the power outputs in the first big mountain stage along with some comparisons of previous years efforts. http://www.sportsscientists.com/2012/07/tour-in-mountains-analysis-discussion.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

Beasty wrote: »

I thought you were the mod! Or is only when your posts are in bold? :p

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,322 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I thought you were the mod! Or is only when your posts are in bold? :p
    Apparently I'm A C*** now!:D

Rob was duly emboldened earlier today (but not in cycling, so he still has to do what he's told over here)

Anyway, back on topic ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

I think Cadel will beat Bradley in the mountains. Last year he beat Andy and Albert which IMO are better climbers than Bradley. Cadel will have to make a move though cos Sky are very very strong and I'm not sure BMC have the required support for Cadel.

Exciting racing ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

tony martin abandons

http://www.itv.com/tourdefrance/news/injured-tony-martin-abandons-2012-tour-de-france/

(nearly put martin , god that would have caused some confusion !)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

Police raid Cofidis team Hotel on rest day !!

Its never dull on tour

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Remy di Gregorio and two other men are in custody.

• Advertisement

BUACHAILL wrote: »
    Police raid Cofidis team Hotel on rest day !!

Its never dull on tour

Police find bikes and tight fitting lycra clothes. A group of men arrested for illegal S&M.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

Hungrycol wrote: »
    Police find bikes and tight fitting lycra clothes. A group of men arrested for illegal S&M.

I think they are being held in custody for keeping a young guy in a time trial suit in some sort of box at the end of the bed :eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Beasty wrote: »
    The Mod-Father is a cyclist too....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Sky News reporting that police have raided Cofidis team hotel.

2 riders arrested, di Gregario is one.

Shane Stokes reporting in Velonation.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

A Tweet from Mark Cavendish:- My hotel room for the rest day has 1 electrical socket & a plastic chair. I shall say no more on the matter.

Someone is not being treated well:(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

lescol wrote: »
    A Tweet from Mark Cavendish:- My hotel room for the rest day has 1 electrical socket & a plastic chair. I shall say no more on the matter.

Someone is not being treated well:(

Cav should go touring with me some time, he'd know all about it. One socket and one plastic chair, he's staying in a Formule 1.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

In fairness a plastic chair probably isn't the most comfortable furniture to sleep on. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

The chef on Cadel Evans's Tour de France team BMC averted a disaster when he put out a fire that threatened to destroy a truck containing bikes and equipment worth about $1 million:eek:

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/sport/cycling/chef-stops-evanss-tour-going-up-in-smoke-20120711-21uu7.html#ixzz20IPjy8gK

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

nico is on off the ball this evening, newstalk 7 -10, dunno what time he is on at tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

mel.b wrote: »
    The chef on Cadel Evans's Tour de France team BMC averted a disaster when he put out a fire that threatened to destroy a truck containing bikes and equipment worth about $1 million[/url]

"Cambre used to be a chef for touring rock bands and musicians, including Bruce Springsteen. Twelve hours later, he was firing up the grill and cooking Swiss sausages for a team staff barbecue."

I bet the riders love that. "Sure Cadel, I'll do your massage after I've polished off this enormous plate of tasty sausages. How's the pasta and weak lemon squash?"

Advertisement