Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap Saorview SetTop box

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭NewHillel

watty wrote: »
    By definition a PVR has at least two tuners and an internal HDD. A one tuner box able to record is is a Set-box receiver with a Recording feature. It's not a real PVR.

Whose definition?
    Is it specified by RTE?
    Saorview?
    Is this specified in a recognised international standard?
    How is certification checked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

@ Mr Biscuits

You seem fairly interested in the difference between Freeview HD and Saorview specification. This discussion has come up before by the way.

The document linked in that post is missing right now, but Watty had downloaded it at the time and uploaded to his site, Techtir. A copy is here.

As you can see even Teracom had question marks over some of the differences between Nordig and Freeview HD. Add to that, that Ireland have a modified Nordig spec with the addition of MHEG5 and a few other things and it muddies the waters even further.

From a selling point of view I would be recommending Saorview certified as the responsibility then lies with Saorview if there are any problems (thankfully I dont sell anything!).

Non certified but perceived compliance products do have to be taken with a pinch of salt (have to be gunthered for the epg for example).

If RTE changed their audio codec to HE-AAC tomorrow we would see a lot of STBs and IDTVs killed, so my hope for now is that they wont.

Bottom line, just because its working now, doesn't mean that RTE will change something within their spec that would inadvertetly kill grey boxes or non certified equipment tomorrow. You then become dependant on the box manufacturer issuing a fix which is not always possible through language problems, no backup software writers or hardware limitations.

I place my trust in RTE at the moment that they wont tweak and expose the gaps!

On PVRs.... Freeview HD has DRM, be aware.
    On Single tuner PVRs ..... IF Mux 2 comes on then single tuners will not be able to record off one mux and view another, regardless of the software or tuner module.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Ronnie Raygun

... "partial compatibility" needs to be talked about more

Talk away, nobody can stop you.
    ... claims here that they SHOULD buy that Humax, it's others making claims that they SHOULDN'T buy it and I asked why - still have no answer to it other than fiscal empathy!

This is an open forum with the vast majority of users being anonymous, just what exactly do you expect.

If you think Saorview certification is just a marketing ploy to artificially inflate prices & limit choice, you can advise people as such, but don't expect your words to go unchallenged.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

. . . It's the blanket statements that I take issue with. Where people are told they can't say they are receiving Saorview on non-certified devices, even though they are or dare mention a box as working "like a dream" without being accused of misleading people, that's what I'm objecting to and think I have made quite clear just why that is at this stage.

Well stick around then, there will be more of these 'look what I've found, works like a dream!' threads.

After you've dealt with a few of them, you might change your viewpoint.

Advertisement