Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

not so secret secret society

Options
  • 02-04-2012 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭

Any one know what the story is with the secret private Facebook group associated with the new society?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Which new society?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

CiaranMT wrote: »
    Which new society?

The secret one :p
    They're obviously living up to their name :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭UL_heart_throb

One of my mates invited me on Facebook, there was only 6 people in it then. I just checked there and there's now 44. I'm not really following it though but I can tell you what's in the Facebook group page (i think I am allowed to do that).
    What We Are

Anti-soc is a collection of like minded individuals in the University of Limerick who seek to attain transparency, disclosure and freedom of information concerning all University activities.

The University, The Students' Union, The Clubs and Societies organisation, all profess to act in the students best interests and in an transparent and accountable way but do not. They have been shown to hide behind bureaucracy and a subterfuge of obfuscation. They have lied to students in the past and all signs indicate they will continue with this deceit in the future.

Therefore it is up to the individuals of this University, members of the university community past and present to investigate, query and record activities of the University organisations in order to provide transparency and spread information.

All members of the University community, past and present are invited to join this society. However, we encourage people who are currently officers within the Students' Union, members of the Clubs and Societies Executive, committee members of a Club or Society or employees of any of the named organisations to think hard and long about seeking membership. They will be expected to provide full disclosure on the activities of the organisation they belong to.

Therefore, if you invite anyone to this group, or intend to approval anyone's application, please ask them to disclose any memberships they already have and clarify whether they are comfortable and capable of delivering information on said group.

What we actually do

As we are not an official society and do not intend to be, we do not seek approval from C&S, monies from C&S or our modus operandi from C&S. All members are encouraged to boycott all Students' Union and Clubs and Socs events and businesses.

We share information, both national, public within UL and private within UL with the aim of educating and informing all our members of events and happenings relevant to them.

We organise meetings, not within C&S or SU buildings or rooms but near enough to campus to be as convenient as possible. Here we share information in a more personable matter, and have conversations on issues relating to student identity, politics, culture and society.

As we do not seek funding from external sources, such funding would damage our own independence, autonomy and identity, we finance our own meetings and actions. Members are invited to share as little or as much as they wish to help with this.

How Do We Actually Do It

Everything is organised in a democratic but non-hierarchical fashion. Every member has equal status and rights. Individuals with initiative organise meetings and events. There are no rotas, members pick up the slack as they wish.

What we are not

We are not an official university society.
    We are not fodder for your CV
    We do not pander to these http://ulwolves.ie/wolves/?p=contact or these http://ulsu.ie/ or these http://www.ul.ie/.
    We are not a drain on college resources using them to fund our own hobbies.
    We are not misappropriating funding to benefit individual goals.

I'll put this thread on their facebook page and maybe they can answer any questions people have.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭roro1neil0

wow thanks.

will pm you my facebook and you can invite me if you think I make the grade,

don't worry I'm not lily carrol, keith young or paddy rockett in disguise :S

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭brucechan

What a load of sh ite.

Total bolloc ks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Mikel91

Teh Trolls!they got loose from the inter webz!!!! noooooooo!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 UL_Antisoc

roro1neil0 wrote: »
    wow thanks.

will pm you my facebook and you can invite me if you think I make the grade,

don't worry I'm not lily carrol, keith young or paddy rockett in disguise :S

Hi!

I see your application pending, can you change your profile to public just for a few mins so I can check you out?

Would that be ok?
    brucechan wrote: »
    What a load of sh ite.

Total bolloc ks.

Well, I guess you're part of the UL establishment who are so threatened by this movement. I hear the powers that be aren't too impressed with a society they cannot control.

I just think it's pretty pathetic and actually quite shocking how a small group of individuals essentially control the vast majority of information in this university. There is probably a group of less than 50 people that have a really massive impact on the average student experience.

I just think we, as students, should take a better interest in how this university functions, especially the aspects that are intended to be in our interest.

I think over the last 3 years, the rot of the SU has come to the fore, now everyone can see mouldy it really is. Over the last year, well for me anyway, we've seen the true colours of Clubs and socs. Essentially a group of selfish people, looking after their own egos and their own invested interests. Look at how C&S money is distributed. Yes they have an algorithm that is supposed to make it objective and transparent but it's obviously not. Look how much money Kayaking club got, what do they do? Go on holiday a few times a year? Take part in one token competition? How many students are actually involved with that club. MOre than 10? I'd doubt it.

The entire college is formed of these scummy little cliques in which everyone covers up for each other. The financial crisis of the SU has flushed out their reckless spending, we need to do the same for C&S.

By this time next year we promise we will have a member of our society in every other society as a mole finding out what really goes on. We'll have someone in attendance at every council recording who says what and why.

The rot needs to stop.

It is no secret that the boards.ie moderators are part of one or several UL cliques that are opressing the student experience so I will try to avoid posting here unless completely necessary.

If anyone (other than the chief clique instigators) wants to contact us to inquire about membership please email <snip>

if the moderator deletes that email as i predict send me a pm with your email address and i will get in touch.

stop the rot

• Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

UL_Antisoc wrote: »

Well, I guess you're part of the UL establishment who are so threatened by this movement. I hear the powers that be aren't too impressed with a society they cannot control.

I just think it's pretty pathetic and actually quite shocking how a small group of individuals essentially control the vast majority of information in this university. There is probably a group of less than 50 people that have a really massive impact on the average student experience.

I just think we, as students, should take a better interest in how this university functions, especially the aspects that are intended to be in our interest.

I think over the last 3 years, the rot of the SU has come to the fore, now everyone can see mouldy it really is. Over the last year, well for me anyway, we've seen the true colours of Clubs and socs. Essentially a group of selfish people, looking after their own egos and their own invested interests. Look at how C&S money is distributed. Yes they have an algorithm that is supposed to make it objective and transparent but it's obviously not. Look how much money Kayaking club got, what do they do? Go on holiday a few times a year? Take part in one token competition? How many students are actually involved with that club. MOre than 10? I'd doubt it.

The entire college is formed of these scummy little cliques in which everyone covers up for each other. The financial crisis of the SU has flushed out their reckless spending, we need to do the same for C&S.

By this time next year we promise we will have a member of our society in every other society as a mole finding out what really goes on. We'll have someone in attendance at every council recording who says what and why.

The rot needs to stop.

So you're basically doing what? Sending in people to clubs and societies that you don't deem fit and then what? So what if you know what they're going to do? How is that going to change anything? By making people worry about what they say every time they go into their club or society in case it is picked up wrong by one of the 'moles'? even if you do send people in, what affect would that have on the people you say are controlling information? Aren't clubs and societies entitled to a bit of fun regarding trips abroad? Make things interesting and a way to recruit new members?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

I have nothing to do with UL but this sounds like a bad stunt by certain extreme left wing groups.

Or someone with no friends seeking like minded people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Sounds to me like you're just forming your own 'clique'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

http://www.limerickpost.ie/index.php/navigation-mainmenu-30/local-news/2316-how-ul-paid-three-presidential-salaries-for-over-a-year.html
    How UL paid three presidential salaries for over a year...
    Tuesday, 28 September 2010 11:35

FROM May 2007 to August 2008, the University of Limerick paid three of their staff a presidential salary of €228,050 - how did this happen?
    In April 2006, former President Prof. Roger Downer, stepped down due to ill health. It was decided that he could no longer perform his duties as President, but he was vital to the University of Limerick Foundation as a primary contact for a number of major philanthropic donors.

As a result, UL agreed to his secondment as President Emeritus.
    This was agreed on the basis that he would be paid through the UL payroll, with the UL Foundation reimbursing the University.

In his role as President Emeritus, he received a presidential rate of pay, until his retirement in August 2008.
    When he stepped down as president in April 2006, vice president administration John O’Connor, became acting president.
    He maintained this role until May 1, 2007 when Prof. Don Barry was appointed on a 10-year contract.

However, when he stepped down as acting president, John O’Connor did not revert to his previous vice president salary... instead he remained on as President Emeritus.
    A memorandum was agreed by UL Governing Authority that he would take responsibility for large capital works planned at the University.
    Mr O’Connor initially signalled his intention to retire as vice president administration and secretary as early as 2005.

When UL analysed this role they decided it was too much work for one person; two positions were needed to replace him.
    He intended to retire again once Prof. Don Barry took up office, but in February 2007 the Governing Authority agreed that his services would be retained beyond May 2007.
    This was in light of the fact that he was involved in a number of key strategic initiatives; including the completion of a large number of capital projects as well as the implementation of the new Graduate Entry Entry Medical School.

When he retired in April 2009, John O’Connor received his pension and was retained by the University on a part-time basis at the rate of half of the presidential salary.
    The University never sought approval for the arrangements to pay three people a presidential salary from the Higher Education Authority or the Minister for Education.
    Their accounting officer confirmed to the office of Auditor and Comptroller General that UL did not consult the Department and did not receive sanction to pay three employees a presidential salary from May 2007 to August 2008.

According to the Auditor and Comptroller General’s office, the Department is now taking the matter up with the University.

‘Emeritus’ is a term used to describe retirees retaining a role on an honorary basis.

Link to facebook page?

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

I would love to be doing the courses that you guys are all doing.... because you have altogether too much time on your hands do you ever worry about studying for exams instead of worrying about which Soc has the biggest balls. Get a life and Grow up.

Nah, sorry to disappoint you. Not a member of any establishment.
    Tell you what though. If the number of people running the place in such a corrupt fashion is so small, then why don't you and your mates get proactively involved and get yourselves democratically elected and then bring about change?
    By the way, the whole SU farce is down to bad governance over successive years. The past administration must have been one of the worst ever.
    Also, the clubs and societies who have benefitted most are those who turned up in numbers and got the votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭PROGRAM_IX

I hear the powers that be aren't too impressed with a society they cannot control.
    Like Trad Soc? I think they get along just fine. :P

The rot needs to stop.

The post from the Facebook group at least made some sense. This is just silly. Naturally V masks will be a requirement to join this society.

Fair enough, there probably is some reckless spending in C&S - where isn't there? - but in general it's a lot tighter than the average organisation around here, and from what I've heard it's a good bit more solid than some other college club/soc groups.

The spy thing is actually kind of adorable. Are they going to carry cyanide pills?

I'll let someone who's actually a member of Kayak address that point, but I'm fairly sure it's unfounded.

Also, there already *is* someone at Council recording who says what and why. She works very hard at it and undermining her job isn't going to win you any friends.

If any of what you're saying is true, this society is going to become the scummiest of those scummy cliques.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

LOLz!!!!!!!

I'd say Spar's supplies of tin foil have run out. :pac: :pac:

sup_dude wrote: »
    So you're basically doing what? Sending in people to clubs and societies that you don't deem fit and then what? So what if you know what they're going to do? How is that going to change anything? By making people worry about what they say every time they go into their club or society in case it is picked up wrong by one of the 'moles'? even if you do send people in, what affect would that have on the people you say are controlling information? Aren't clubs and societies entitled to a bit of fun regarding trips abroad? Make things interesting and a way to recruit new members?

You completely misunderstand. Take your head out of your horse's ass. All we would be doing is what the clubs and socs are supposed to be doing - conducting their business in a transparent and accountable fashion. It's no secret really who gets what and who says what but if you ask for this information, they will tell you your request will be discussed at the next egm, the treasurer will be be asked to supply accounts and they will be sent to you. But what actually happens is they will tell you their meeting ran over time so they forgot to ask, or it will take 5 weeks for accounts to be put together. These are all tricks used by scummy cliques like clubs and socs to keep other students in the dark.
    I have nothing to do with UL

Stay out of the thread so
    ergonomics wrote: »
    Sounds to me like you're just forming your own 'clique'.

My own clique which is open to about 9500 students? Sounds like you may need to look the word clique up in the dictionary.
    Link to facebook page?

I like you post, that is the kind of stuff we welcome in our community. I can't give you the facebook link yet, you could be a mole. If you send me your facebook I will do a quick background check on you. thanks
    Agent_99 wrote: »
    I would love to be doing the courses that you guys are all doing.... because you have altogether too much time on your hands do you ever worry about studying for exams instead of worrying about which Soc has the biggest balls. Get a life and Grow up.

Right now there are 45 people of us, we all do our little bit. We're under no delusions about why we're in college, but as none of us are active members of any cliques clubs or socs we do have some time to put to actual good use exposing the lies, deceit and trickery of said cliques.
    brucechan wrote: »
    Tell you what though. If the number of people running the place in such a corrupt fashion is so small, then why don't you and your mates get proactively involved and get yourselves democratically elected and then bring about change?

You sound like one of those guys who say "if bertie ahern was so corrupt, why didn't you run for election, get elected as a TD and become taoiseach. Do you all know there are many positions of power that are not elected in any fashion. If you really don't know what this thread is about, and you really don't care, stop posting. No one is forcing you.
    PROGRAM_IX wrote: »
    Fair enough, there probably is some reckless spending in C&S - where isn't there? - but in general it's a lot tighter than the average organisation around here, and from what I've heard it's a good bit more solid than some other college club/soc groups.
    Just because it's not as bad as elsewhere doesn't meet it is acceptable. SU will clean up their act a good bit this year, now it is C&S turn to feel the pinch and be investigated.

Also, there already *is* someone at Council recording who says what and why. She works very hard at it and undermining her job isn't going to win you any friends.
    obviously doesn't work hard enough
    this society is going to become the scummiest of those scummy cliques.

why is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Do you hope to get a mole in the C&S exc?

Jester252 wrote: »
    Do you hope to get a mole in the C&S exc?

maybe we already do. aren't all exec officers there to look in the best interests of the students as a whole.

• Advertisement

My own clique which is open to about 9500 students? Sounds like you may need to look the word clique up in the dictionary.

You say you're not a clique and then you say:
    I can't give you the facebook link yet, you could be a mole. If you send me your facebook I will do a quick background check on you.

A clique is defined as an exclusive group, i.e., a group to which not everyone is granted access, just like your little group.

On the other hand C&S and the Union allow access to anyone who wants to join. In fact all UL students are automatically granted membership of the Union upon enrolment in UL.

no, cliques are small.
    secondly, membership is difficult to acquire as we must prove who you say you are is true. but it isn't exclusive other than you can't be an undercover mole. no double agents please.

it's no more difficult than joying a regular society, try and find them on the ul wolves page, pay money, wait for your membership to be accepted.

it's a private facebook group, not a private society. you don't seem to be able to fathom the difference.

As far as I know C&S never reject membership whereas you will if you deem someone a mole.

You're only a private Facebook group now but will you meet in public? Will you name your members in public? I doubt it since you want to create moles. Therefore all your 'business' will be conducted in private making you a private society.

If it looks like a duck and it quacks like a duck, it's a duck.

we have met in public! we had a meeting in the hurlers a few weeks ago.

I think you've derailed this thread enough ergonomics.

Well it sure sounds like you have all the answers. Everyone is wrong and you are right. No wonder you're "Anti-Social."
    You carry on living in LaLa land and I'll be here on Planet Earth when reality bites.

not really. the group is formed of 45 people currently (and growing). everyone has an equal right to state their opinion. there is no vertical hierarchy. if i have a stupid idea the rest of the group will tell me. when you put a group of intelligent free thinkers in a room and get them to form a consensus you can be fairly assured it will be the right one.

look out for us next term for our protests.

stop the rot

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

I do like how you complain that C&S and the SU is too buddy-buddy but everyone can join no problem. Your Soc you have to have a background check. Who are you? The white knight?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

You completely misunderstand. Take your head out of your horse's ass. All we would be doing is what the clubs and socs are supposed to be doing - conducting their business in a transparent and accountable fashion. It's no secret really who gets what and who says what but if you ask for this information, they will tell you your request will be discussed at the next egm, the treasurer will be be asked to supply accounts and they will be sent to you. But what actually happens is they will tell you their meeting ran over time so they forgot to ask, or it will take 5 weeks for accounts to be put together. These are all tricks used by scummy cliques like clubs and socs to keep other students in the dark.

It's funny because I do Equine Science :pac:

Anyway! How about instead of telling me to take me head of places my head has no business being, why don't you actually answer my questions, stop trying to insult me and actually do what you're trying to do in the first place which is help me understand. What you have wrote there doesn't really answer what I asked and if you're going to avoid questions and tell people they just don't understand, then why are doing this in the first place?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

Love the way it's based on transparency, yet we can't get clear information about it

• Advertisement

I like you post, that is the kind of stuff we welcome in our community. I can't give you the facebook link yet, you could be a mole. If you send me your facebook I will do a quick background check on you. thanks

I liked your agendum of demanding transparency. You dont seem to be practicing it yourselves though.
    Background check - not a chance. Show some respect for people's privacy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement