Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

not so secret secret society

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 UL_Antisoc

sup_dude wrote: »
    blahblahblah
    which question wasn't answered?
    Love the way it's based on transparency, yet we can't get clear information about it

you have clear information, why would you like to know
    I liked your agendum of demanding transparency. You dont seem to be practicing it yourselves though.
    Background check - not a chance. Show some respect for people's privacy.

I guess this is where we part ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Mainly the.... "So you're basically doing what?" question. The "Sending in people to clubs and societies that you don't deem fit and then what?" question. The "even if you do send people in, what affect would that have on the people you say are controlling information?" question and the "Aren't clubs and societies entitled to a bit of fun regarding trips abroad?" :) So yeah, just about my whole post

sup_horse wrote: »
    Mainly the.... "So you're basically doing what?"
    question. The "Sending in people to clubs and societies that you don't deem fit and then what?" question. The "even if you do send people in, what affect would that have on the people you say are controlling information?" question and the "Aren't clubs and societies entitled to a bit of fun regarding trips abroad?" :) So yeah, just about my whole post

"So you're basically doing what?"

Meet up. Share information about the things that are happening in and around UL. Come up with strategies to release this information to the rest of the student body. Lobby the University and organisations to make positive changes.
    Sending in people to clubs and societies that you don't deem fit and then what?

Find information, bring it back to the group then ^
    even if you do send people in, what affect would that have on the people you say are controlling information?

See above.
    Aren't clubs and societies entitled to a bit of fun regarding trips abroad?

Students can do what they want with their recreational time, I challenge the basic assumption other students should subsidise this recreational time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

UL_Antisoc wrote: »
    I guess this is where we part ways.

We never joined ways in the first place tbh. Your whole approach smacks of dramatics - which undermines what you say you stand for. That's unfortunate. I dont know about clubs and societies, but I think there could be a lot more accountability and transparency in the administration of UL overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

You said you'll hold public protests. If I may ask how will you get permission from UL?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

What I see here is a group of people who do not want to be publicly identified gathering information from various groups on campus by what somewhat underhand means ('moles'). They will then discuss this information to decide how to disclose it, effectively filtering the information. This group will also vet new membership candidates before allowing them in.

I for one would not trust anything said by such a group. There is already a legal obligation to disclose the information you are after via Freedom of Information legislation. Having a secret organisation going around gathering information piecemeal does not serve anyone.

I'm all for transparency in public governance, but I don't see this as a way of achieving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭roro1neil0

Chimaera wrote: »
    What I see here is a group of people who do not want to be publicly identified gathering information from various groups on campus by what somewhat underhand means ('moles'). They will then discuss this information to decide how to disclose it, effectively filtering the information. This group will also vet new membership candidates before allowing them in.

I for one would not trust anything said by such a group. There is already a legal obligation to disclose the information you are after via Freedom of Information legislation. Having a secret organisation going around gathering information piecemeal does not serve anyone.

I'm all for transparency in public governance, but I don't see this as a way of achieving it.

well i just joined. I can all the other members. Obviously not all their facebook names are their real names but most of them look real. I don't think it's too underhand either, if you're a member of skynet let's say, all I seem to be asked to do is let anyone know if anything interesting happens in terms of budgets and expenditure really. all information you're supposed to have access to anyway.

with regards to information, they are sourcing it, and putting it into google docs and on facebook page. but anyone can do what they want with it, either try and spin it, or just spread it around.

like i just looked at a dosier on one of the clubs and socs people and it's just really his cv along with some of the stuff he's said on boards and on council meetings, obviously i can't really confirm all of it is true but it kinda looks true. like there's nothing incriminating in it. just people trying to elucidate who is an alliance with whom. it's a bit game of throneys but it look like fun thus far.

the vetting procedure really isn't as bad as the antisoc guy said. they just look at your friends list and ask you what socs you are in and if you have any conflicts of interests. if one other person vouches for you you're in anyway.

i honestly think, based on first impressions, this will help produce a more transparent and accountable students union as the information is being recorded and analysed so there is a bit of carryover from year to year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

Chimaera wrote: »

The Freedom of Information act does not require the SU to release anything. They are not a public body and independant from the university.

The SU constitution states what is required to be released and what isn't. Clubs and societies would fall under our own constitution and rules and the SU constitution (as it isn't a seperate body to the SU).

I agree with transparency and I do think there are things that could be more transparent but I'm going to talk to committees, individuals, people on exec and purpose things at council.

A secret organisation which if it truely was to better serve students and be transparent, they could approach this matter in a more transparent manner. The 'secret' society could be made private and the link to ask to join could be public. Otherwise the hypocrite society is more appropraite.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭roro1neil0

well somebody is bitter because they're not entitled to join

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Complete double-speak from UL_Antisoc.

Some notes to educate you: If you aren't under the umbrella of C&S, then you cannot operate on campus. Simple student safety. If you don't want to operate under C&S then shut up and get off campus..

As for this pseudosoc being a clique - it fits every definition (and size isn't one of them.

Oh, and as for the kayak club being used as an example of a clique - there is absolutely nothing stopping a student joining the club and partaking in the activities. If the sport is not for you, then feel free to partake in the social side of things (you know, UL_Antisoc, where people go and meet each other and stuff?). If you can't get on with the people in the club, then the chances are that you are the problem and not the club as I have never met a more inclusive, helpful, and friendly group of people. If you *are* an arsehole (and your text suggests it) then the chances are that you will find it hard to get with nice people - especially those that are tasked with keeping you alive!

I think that jealousy is the name of the game here on the part of UL_Antisoc - "I can't get on with normal people and I've an axe to grind, so I'll be subversive and underhanded, speaking untruths on off-campus forums to try to get people to join my clique" - at that's the subtext I read from UL_Antisoc's postings.

I haven't seen such deluded idiocy from a Boards poster since our favourite medical student troll

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

roro1neil0 wrote: »
    well somebody is bitter because they're not entitled to join

You interpreted that as bitterness?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Oxford_

I heard from a reliable source that a Mr. John Cambridge is the instigator behind this farcical, playground-esque clique.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Kevin.Lally

Oxford_ wrote: »
    I heard from a reliable source that a Mr. John Cambridge is the instigator behind this farcical, playground-esque clique.

This source is extremely reliable and I heard from another reliable source that Sid_Justice is also involved! I also heard that Mr. Cambridge eventual goal is set up a rival university and students union which fixes all the transparency issues.

Popoutman wrote: »
    Complete double-speak from UL_Antisoc.

Some notes to educate you: If you aren't under the umbrella of C&S, then you cannot operate on campus.

this is a lie
    Simple student safety. If you don't want to operate under C&S then shut up and get off campus..

we choose to operate off campus - meeting in the hurlers - did you not read the post?
    As for this pseudosoc being a clique - it fits every definition (and size isn't one of them.

size is a part
    Oh, and as for the kayak club being used as an example of a clique - there is absolutely nothing stopping a student joining the club and partaking in the activities. If the sport is not for you, then feel free to partake in the social side of things (you know, UL_Antisoc, where people go and meet each other and stuff?). If you can't get on with the people in the club, then the chances are that you are the problem and not the club as I have never met a more inclusive, helpful, and friendly group of people. If you *are* an arsehole (and your text suggests it) then the chances are that you will find it hard to get with nice people - especially those that are tasked with keeping you alive!

I think that jealousy is the name of the game here on the part of UL_Antisoc - "I can't get on with normal people and I've an axe to grind, so I'll be subversive and underhanded, speaking untruths on off-campus forums to try to get people to join my clique" - at that's the subtext I read from UL_Antisoc's postings.

ah, you're in kayak soc and have taken this opportunity to hurl personal abuse. good man.
    I haven't seen such deluded idiocy from a Boards poster since our favourite medical student troll
    ???

Oxford_ wrote: »

I heard the same source say Oxford_ was a pseudonym of Cambridge - any truth to that?
    This source is extremely reliable and I heard from another reliable source that Sid_Justice is also involved! I also heard that Mr. Cambridge eventual goal is set up a rival university and students union which fixes all the transparency issues.

Interesting.

I don't know where you're getting off implying it's your group/society. Firstly, to the best of my knowledge, you're not in the group, perhaps an alias of yours is. Secondly, we are legion, we are more than the sum of our parts, you can chop off our head but 2 more will grow back.

favourite? Of course! I have 40 people in my secret group of friends! More like rockstar!

Just got a word from one of our members that you are not who you say you are.

Are you saying it's yours? I am in the group! Oh wait I'm a mole, no I'm not!

I should try cutting off the heads of my dolls! I can have Siamese twins dolls!

I founded the society and created the facebook group but it is not mine, it cannot belong to anyone. It's a free speech, free thought, free information movement.

I don't know who you are, I know who KL is and I have been assured you are not that person. We will try to find out though.

I don't know where you're getting off implying it's your group/society. Firstly, to the best of my knowledge, you're not in the group, perhaps an alias of yours is. Secondly, we are legion, we are more than the sum of our parts, you can chop off our head but 2 more will grow back.
    I founded the society and created the facebook group but it is not mine, it cannot belong to anyone. It's a free speech, free thought, free information movement.

I don't know who you are, I know who KL is and I have been assured you are not that person. We will try to find out though.

A glorious start to the Anti-Society.

• Advertisement

CiaranMT wrote: »
    A glorious start to the Anti-Society.

antisoc has been in place for over 5 weeks ciaran.

antisoc has been in place for over 5 weeks ciaran.

And clearly you're going from strength to strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Anbo

Its stuff like this that make me regret coming onto this forum.

Also the whole idea of this society just seems confusing. Would a public presence voicing concerns not be better than all this secrecy and "moles" in getting your views across.

The idea seems to come from someone who has seen one too many spy movies.

I was assured I was that person!

I'm in the free group of private and secret individuals!

clearly you're not. you're distinct lack of imagination does rule out one or two people though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Every time I think parts of this forum have reached the weirdest, most psuedo-dramatic lows, it just gets worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Oxford_

sausage fest to more sausage fest!

I'm sure a certain high figure in the SU establishment will be joining up soon if that's what the organisation entails.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Ginge Young

Again, this is hilarious :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Adolf Hipster

This is hilarious, go study for exams or something, stop being a nosy clown!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

I'm genuinely disappointed this thread is only four pages so far. Absolute comedy gold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Seems like just a poor Anonymous clone.

🤪

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement