Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seth McFarlane's Ted (2012)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Guessing the name clip did make me laugh.

Shame its a rehash of the only funny joke he has done in the last five years:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Since when did it become hipster to hate on McFarlane?

I saw the teailer this evening, thought it was hilarious! Laughed my ass off at the girl naming bit. looking forward to seeing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

August 3rd over here, looks very good.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1637725/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭BarackPyjama

Hipster idiots hate stuff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

MrStuffins wrote: »
    [...]

Since when did it become hipster to dismiss fair criticism of a one-note comic as hipster? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

pixelburp wrote: »
    Since when did it become hipster to dismiss fair criticism of a one-note comic as hipster? :)

A one note comic whos the creator of Family Guy which has been running since 1999, American Dad since 2005 and The Cleveland Show since 2009 all successful in the own right, and a man whose now branching out into films with Ted and whose also become the roastmaster for Comedy Centrals Roasts and done a great job, thats some one note ;).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A one note comic whos the creator of Family Guy which has been running since 1999, American Dad since 2005 and The Cleveland Show since 2009 all successful in the own right, and a man whose now branching out into films with Ted and whose also become the roastmaster for Comedy Centrals Roasts and done a great job, thats some one note ;).

Really? That show is frigging terrible. And The Simpsons has been running for even longer, but no-one would claim the show is even a shadow of its former self; length of time is no indicator here. To me, Family Guy's the exact same- what was funny is now just the same schtick with less laughs. To be fair, the later series of American Dad have been funny, but that's probably just Roger making up for the rest of the cast :)

pixelburp wrote: »

Sure, there's some fair criticism

But a lot of it stinks of hipsterism, surely you see that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

YOU THINK THAT'S BEEEEEED?!

REMEMBER THE TIME MY TEDDY BEAR STARTED TALKING TO ME?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,105 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Watch one episode of Family Guy and you've pretty much seen everything Seth McFarlane has to offer comedy: every joke, every character, every inability to write a comic storyline. This isn't a 'hipster' opinion, it's the voice of someone who hates seeing bad comedy (admittedly subjective) triumphed by a lot of people. He's sure as hell no Larry David or Louie C.K.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Maybe you just don't have a sense of humour?

*facepalm*

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,149 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Watch one episode of Family Guy and you've pretty much seen everything Seth McFarlane has to offer comedy: every joke, every character, every inability to write a comic storyline. This isn't a 'hipster' opinion, it's the voice of someone who hates seeing bad comedy (admittedly subjective) triumphed by a lot of people. He's sure as hell no Larry David or Louie C.K.

Different type of comedy to those guys completely in fairness, not a fair comparison. I agree he's one note though, Family Guy, American Dad and Cleveland are all pretty much copies of the same formula. I think South Park hit the nail on the head with how they criticised family guy in cartoon wars but having said that the first 3 seasons were brilliant.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

When I saw the trailer, the first thing that came into my head was Wilfred except others can see Ted.

But i did laugh and thought Marky Mark was great from the trailer.

Seth McFarlanes voice only bothers me when I see him talking and squinting in real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I wouldn't put American Dad in the same category as Family Guy and the Cleveland Show. I can't stand Family Guy. It has it's moments, but not enough to keep me watching. The Dad is the main character and the others have one quirk which is repeated each episode. South Park was spot on with how it was originally. The writers caught on though and changed things up, even alluding to how the old episodes were so repetitive.

American Dad's characters seem a bit more rounded. and I think the actual writing of the episodes is a lot better (other than McFarlane, the main writer's are different. So that might be it).

I can fully see why people don't like McFarlane's comedy though.

As for Ted, I thought the trailer was hilarious. I love Wahlberg in comedies. He's still as over the top intense as he is in action movies, but now you're laughing with him instead of at him.

I'm not expecting world shattering stuff, but I'd say it'll be more than a good laugh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

american dad started off alright but it's been awful for the past few seasons. every episode is basically the same story. stan is stupid, stans stupidity is challenged, hijinx, stan learns a lesson.

every now and again they throw roger or steve an episode. steve at least brings something to the table, mainly barry. roger is just like stan, one joke over and over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭mcmacness

Just watched the trailer for this, looks really funny. My type of film, I can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Not sure what to make of this tbh - it looks funny enough but I wasn't laughing too hard at the trailer....will probably watch it but not expecting huge things from it so maybe I'll be pleasantly suprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

looks terrible, big mistake that Ted sounds like/is Peter Griffin

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

I really enjoyed the two trailers released and I'm looking forward to this. Wahlberg was excellent in The Other Guys and looks like he's right for the part from the trailer too. Fingers crossed it's not a case of everything good appearing in the trailer as said, but I think it should be fun overall.

Not sure why it matters THAT much that it's the same voice from Family Guy. Afterall, Mila Kunis and Mark Wahlberg are using the same voices they've used in practically every performance in their career.

🤪

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭BarackPyjama

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    looks terrible, big mistake that Ted sounds like/is Peter Griffin

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I don't understand people's objections, so what if it's the same voice, and do what if some of the jokes have been done before. The point is, when you go to the cinema, you will laugh and be entertained

I cannot wait for it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

How come nobody's moaning that Mila Kunis is using her Meg voice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Because she's hot... Duh!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

phasers wrote: »
    How come nobody's moaning that Mila Kunis is using her Meg voice?

Well Sabre0001 alluded to it in his post, but unfortunately from a "Thanks" point of view he forget to point out that one of her voices was that of Meg in Family Guy.

I think it's a more a case that McFarlane is a voice-artist, who provides many different characters, you'd think he could have put on a different voice for Ted rather than sound much like his Peter / Brian Griffin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

More people will go to see this because TED sounds like Peter than those who will avoid it because TED sounds like Peter.
    Just business folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Why?

its what pixelburp said, seth mcfarlane is a voice over actor and using nearly the exact same voice over as peter griffin is just plain distracting.

Saying that walberg and kunis are using their own voices is silly, they are live action actors. Saw the trailor again today at the cinema, not a great audience response, the same audience that pissed themselves during the dictator trailor and american reunion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

MrStuffins wrote: »
    You know what's even more annoying than hipsters? People who use the term hipster on anyone who doesn't have the same taste as them. :pac:

• Advertisement

e_e wrote: »
    You know what's even more annoying than hipsters? People who use the term hipster on anyone who doesn't have the same taste as them. :pac:

I was finding that annoying WAY before you! :D

Advertisement