Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

alastair wrote: »
    I heard he didn't pay for a 99

You heard wrong I heard it was a 69.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 m.oderator

If the household charge is abolished, will this mean that the people who paid already get their money back?

Mod: Banned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

lividduck wrote: »
    Welcome back, you really get burgled?

No, was countering Gerrys April fools day joke!

m.oderator wrote: »
    If the household charge is abolished, will this mean that the people who paid already get their money back?

Doubtful.

Ask anyone who payed up for the watercharges that the Govt later did a u-turn on.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Hope not :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

It does not obviously suit your argument that the person who signed up for a charge is refusing to pay for it while the same man is trying to force others to pay up for something they didn't sign up for. The fact that this same man made ours a law is a further crime as it is an unjust law in the eyes of at least one million citizens of the country. If there was a Referendum on the Household Tax it would be defeated quite easily.

You can test that belief at the next general election.

Meanwhile - private contractual disputes mean sod all to the pros or cons of tax evasion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

hondasam wrote: »
    No surprise there, you see what you want to see. It makes PH look rather bad and the government also.

Minister Shatter is telling us to ''get a life'' we are making a ''mountain out of a molehill'' perhaps he should pass this insightful information on to PH and tell him to pay his management fee.

In fairness, I don't think anyone is arguing that those two shouldn't be thrown out of Dail Eireann. Hogans photoshoot in the household charge mail room was sickening. And Shatter, well, I don't think anyone needs to describe his numerous failures.

I paid the charge because the law required me too. I won't apologise for that. I did manage to get some personal assurances from my local authority in relation to my unfinished estate before hand which i will hold them to or stop my direct debit.

My major problem is with the tactics used by the no-pay side. Aggression, insult, lies and diversion, the very same thing they accuse the government of. i think it badly damaged their support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

Welcome to boards.ie and in answer to your question.....
    Not a chance.

MagicSean wrote: »

The ESB have the actual locations though, that's how they can send their engineers.

I have lived in the stick long enough to know the ESB could not find my house without directions.
    I'm not. I'm saying that a disputed private bill has no relevance to a statutory charge
    No but there is principle involved surely.

You can test that belief at the next general election.

Meanwhile - private contractual disputes mean sod all to the pros or cons of tax evasion.

It's all about perception.
    Phil being dragged in front of a court in Portugal for non-payment won't look good, will it?

It does not obviously suit your argument that the person who signed up for a charge is refusing to pay for it while the same man is trying to force others to pay up for something they didn't sign up for. The fact that this same man made ours a law is a further crime as it is an unjust law in the eyes of at least one million citizens of the country. If there was a Referendum on the Household Tax it would be defeated quite easily.

Are you suggesting that there is a tax out there that people would vote in favour of?
    Hope not :D

Why? Seems like a very petty attitude to have.

• Advertisement

I have lived in the stick long enough to know the ESB could not find my house without directions.

Now they've put the power in - they just need to follow the line. Hansel and Gretel style.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,769 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

If it is not abolished will the people who haven't paid still be liable for it?

In fairness, I don't think anyone is arguing that those two shouldn't be thrown out of Dail Eireann. Hogans photoshoot in the household charge mail room was sickening. And Shatter, well, I don't think anyone needs to describe his numerous failures.

I paid the charge because the law required me too. I won't apologise for that. I did manage to get some personal assurances from my local authority in relation to my unfinished estate before hand which i will hold them to or stop my direct debit.

My major problem is with the tactics used by the no-pay side. Aggression, insult, lies and diversion, the very same thing they accuse the government of. i think it badly damaged their support.

The NO side is every person who thinks that this unjust Tax is wrong and who refused to pay. It is also the people who paid under duress and against their will because of the scaremongering on the Govt's side. Shame on the Govt but then they bought their votes to get into power and lied all through their campaign.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Originally Posted by Boston Herald
    ...Protesters jostled with police as they tried to block the way of Fine Gael activists using a back entrance...
    Yes, well it come as no surprise to read that FG force themselves in through the rear seeing as according to some, they are in addition screwing the public in the backside too!

More irony in a day of such,

gerryo777 wrote: »
    It's all about perception.
    Phil being dragged in front of a court in Portugal for non-payment won't look good, will it?

Do I care? Not really. This isn't the Phil Hogan Charge - he's simply the man carrying the can at the moment.

You pay stamp duty? You ever get mortgage relief? Your name on a deed of sale?

You imagine that they're unable to trace home owners through the same means that every other nation manages to apply property taxes to property owners?

I know full well they can trace owners but it too time consuming for them, it would take probably two years to do it manually.
    For the last time they need an up to date accurate database, for this to happen we need to register our names, pps number and what ever else.
    Revenue have my details but do I own my home,is my name on the deeds?

Are you suggesting that there is a tax out there that people would vote in favour of?

Why? Seems like a very petty attitude to have.
    Maybe if they were treated honestly and persuaded that it was for the good of the country. Not spun lies on top of lies as in this case. We all know where this money will end up and it won't be on fixing your road.

Sarcasm lost on you ?

No but there is principle involved surely.

Not really. I've already given plenty of examples. It's exactly the same as a one person receiving a clamping fee charge and another receiving a parking fine. The clamping fee has no basis in law other than contract. The fine is a statutory obligation. Most people will accept the fine but most would object to the clamping fee.

Do I care? Not really. This isn't the Phil Hogan Charge - he's simply the man carrying the can at the moment.

There's a big leak in his can.:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

So Alastair,becsuse you didnt pay the poll tax...are you a tax cheat??

Why did you feel the poll tax was unfair on you,for you not to pay it??

• Advertisement

Now they've put the power in - they just need to follow the line. Hansel and Gretel style.

If only it were that simple, I reported a fault recently and it was like talking to someone from outer space, I appreciate I live in the sticks but ffs it's not that hard to follow a few simple directions.

I know full well they can trace owners but it too time consuming for them, it would take probably two years to do it manually.
    For the last time they need an up to date accurate database, for this to happen we need to register our names, pps number and what ever else.
    Revenue have my details but do I own my home,is my name on the deeds?

If you're the owner, your name is on the deeds. And it's critical to the state that they collect as much of the liable property taxes as possible - it's going to be very much worth their while getting the databases in order - backtaxes will be a nice windfall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Biggins wrote: »
    Yes, well it come as no surprise to read that FG force themselves in through the rear seeing as according to some, they are in addition screwing the public in the backside too!

More irony in a day of such,

It comes as no surprise that they didn't want to be assaulted by some of the scumbags who were protesting yesterday.

Your right there, it's the IMF/EU charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

Who will it be addressed to? They can send a letter but it's not necessarily to the owner. This letter will be asking for owner details I guess.

And my tenants, who are friends of mine, are under strict instructions not to give it (they don't actually know my address anyway). Though any government, if they expend enough resources, would be able to find out the location of any of their citizens, they aren't going to find me anywhere on their databases, whichever one they use, whether it is tax records, or the records of a private company like the ESB. They are going to have to work harder than that - and go back to the original paper trail...which would take a while, and even then it won't have my current contact details on it

And if and when it gets added to the mortgage....sure what do I care. Compared to the negative equity it isn't even worthy of being called a drop in the ocean!

If you're the owner, your name is on the deeds. And it's critical to the state that they collect as much of the liable property taxes as possible - it's going to be very much worth their while getting the databases in order - backtaxes will be a nice windfall.

The point is they have to get the database in order and to do this they need me to register my details. My name is on the deeds but they are with the bank until the mortgage is paid.
    Please tell me they cannot access my bank account.

It comes as no surprise that they didn't want to be assaulted by some of the scumbags who were protesting yesterday.

Whose idea was it to run FG delegates through the middle of an angry crowd with a RTE camera crew in tow???

Yes those old 80 somethings looked very menacing :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

paddy147 wrote: »
    So Alastair,becsuse you didnt pay the poll tax...are you a tax cheat???

No!

It was an unfair tax, the household charge is a fair one.

Alastair has the luxury to decide which payment he will or will not make, based on, after his indepth, and lenghty considered opinion is fair or unfair.

Any of us, deciding the HHC charge is unfair, are wrong though. (according to him)

Go figure that one out:rolleyes:.

He can comeback with whatever smart assed smarmy reply he wants to this, but admitting tax evasion on this thread, showed him up for his actual intellect from the start.

He's fuming now that, his own admissions have let him down.

• Advertisement

The point is they have to get the database in order and to do this they need me to register my details. My name is on the deeds but they are with the bank until the mortgage is paid.
    Please tell me they cannot access my bank account.

You should always have a couple of bank accounts, credit union account, maybe a post office account. Never put all your eggs in one basket if you get my drift.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement