Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion? 2!!

Options

Comments

Anyone know when the fingal grant payment is out?
    Train fare is eating my wallet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Anyone know when the fingal grant payment is out?
    Train fare is eating my wallet.

Yeah my train takes most of my money each week. 67e for a 5 day return to Maynooth.. If I wasn't so lazy I know i'd get somewhere shít to stay for that amount per week tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

Yeah my train takes most of my money each week. 67e for a 5 day return to Maynooth.. If I wasn't so lazy I know i'd get somewhere shít to stay for that amount per week tbh.

My rent is only €3 more expensive than your train ticket a week ! WOW :eek:

aaabbbb wrote: »
    My rent is only €3 more expensive than your train ticket a week ! WOW :eek:

Seriously? Is that will bills and everything? :eek:. Yep that's my train fare p/w and then I have to give maybe 20e for my parents or whoever collects/brings me to the station and back twice a day. Pain in the balls if i'm to be fair, never commuting again! :pac:

Seriously? Is that will bills and everything? :eek:. Yep that's my train fare p/w and then I have to give maybe 20e for my parents or whoever collects/brings me to the station and back twice a day. Pain in the balls if i'm to be fair, never commuting again! :pac:

Nah thats just purely for the privlige of living in a house owend by my stinky landlord :P ( XxMCRxBabyxX knows what I mean :cool: :rolleyes: :pac: )

But our last bill was €7 and €10 each so !

Yeah commuting is rough I gave it up half way through last year :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

Wow that's an awful price :eek: I thought my €47 bus ticket was expensive. Is that price including a student discount?

Nah thats just purely for the privlige of living in a house owend by my stinky landlord :P ( XxMCRxBabyxX knows what I mean :cool: :rolleyes: :pac: )

But our last bill was €7 and €10 each so !

Yeah commuting is rough I gave it up half way through last year :pac:

67 a week is alright though, where abouts are you living?
    Boeing777 wrote: »
    Wow that's an awful price :eek: I thought my €47 bus ticket was expensive. Is that price including a student discount?

Yeah I know Niall! And yep it is :pac:. We need to meet up in Second Semester btw, i'll just go into some of ye're lectures or something seeing as ye have a ridiculous timetable! :P

67 a week is alright though, where abouts are you living?

Beaufield ! :D

I'm jelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

Yeah I know Niall! And yep it is :pac:. We need to meet up in Second Semester btw, i'll just go into some of ye're lectures or something seeing as ye have a ridiculous timetable! :P

I know, we definitely have to. It's been too long now at this stage so a meet-up is definitely on the cards!

• Advertisement

Boeing777 wrote: »
    I know, we definitely have to. It's been too long now at this stage so a meet-up is definitely on the cards!

I've just been sooooooo busy studying.. :rolleyes: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

For a tenner extra I'm in a deadly house with all bills paid including oil, internet etc.. You should probably look around haha

Only the best Jenna!

JayEnnis wrote: »
    For a tenner extra I'm in a deadly house with all bills paid including oil, internet etc.. You should probably look around haha

....Not to mention your lovely Amsterdam-esque lights! :P

Yeah I probably should, but for the sake of 12 weeks i'm not really overly fussed you know? Especially seeing as we'll have Paddy's week, 2 weeks of Easter and a study week off before exams!

Any advice as to when the best time would be to start looking for a house with friends for next year?

Yeah I probably should, but for the sake of 12 weeks i'm not really overly fussed you know? Especially seeing as we'll have Paddy's week, 2 weeks of Easter and a study week off before exams!

Any advice as to when the best time would be to start looking for a house with friends for next year?

Round Easter I'd say....get it out of the way before exams and that ! :D

Round Easter I'd say....get it out of the way before exams and that ! :D

That early? I was going to leave it until Mid-Summer, like June or that? :pac:

Most people sort theirs out before leaving for the summer so by the time June/July rolls around decent places can be a bit scarce though not impossible to find :)

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

You need to get going on it earlier than that. Around Easter the residence office will release a housing list. You need to be ready to go - phoning and viewing- the morning that is out. Nice places will go fast!

Bobsammy wrote: »
    You need to get going on it earlier than that. Around Easter the residence office will release a housing list. You need to be ready to go - phoning and viewing- the morning that is out. Nice places will go fast!

Thanks guys! I'm guessing you'd need maybe 4-5 people and maybe a mix of boys/girls?

• Advertisement

....Not to mention your lovely Amsterdam-esque lights! :P

Don't know how the place hasn't been raided yet, looks fair dodgy!
    Thanks guys! I'm guessing you'd need maybe 4-5 people and maybe a mix of boys/girls?

We have 6 and it seems just abour right. Last year it was an even mix of lads and girls and this year it's 4 lads, 2 girls. Doesn't make much of a difference in my opinion, personality is a much bigger factor.

what's the best place in Maynooth would you know to be looking at? Going into 2nd year, 5 of us doing Psychology so we have a hectic work load next year, somewhere pretty close to the college, decent and not OVERLY wild, a little wild is perfect though! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

Four to five people sounds about right, and I wouldn't worry too much about the mix of boys and girls. One thing you should discuss as well is if people would be willing to share rooms.

Don't know how the place hasn't been raided yet, looks fair dodgy!

Admit it Jason , you don't really work in a bar now do you....? :rolleyes: :pac: :P

what's the best place in Maynooth would you know to be looking at? Going into 2nd year, 5 of us doing Psychology so we have a hectic work load next year, somewhere pretty close to the college, decent and not OVERLY wild, a little wild is perfect though! :P

Moyglare , if you can get near the beginning is basically like living on campus location wise ! Parklands is a nice estate but its mainly families etc. Most students really live round the kingsbury/Beaufield/Cluain Aoibhinn areas . But so far as them being , "wild " or whatever its really the same as any other suburban housing estate . Really it's who you'll be living with that will determine that instead of the area imo.

I've been in Beaufield two years, love the place. Close & Quiet but still lots of students. Wouldn't recommend Kingsbury or Carton Court and don't know a whole lot about Moyglare. Meadowbrook is grand as well. Avoid Parson street like the plague. Barton House is nice as well and is right in the middle of town but don't know what it's like for price.

Try get a place with an Alarm and reinforced locks on the windows if they're wooden but realistically uPVC windows would be your best option. Check for draughts, damp etc.. Talk to the neighbours beforehand if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Paczini

I've been in Beaufield two years, love the place. Close & Quiet but still lots of students. Wouldn't recommend Kingsbury or Carton Court and don't know a whole lot about Moyglare. Meadowbrook is grand as well. Avoid Parson street like the plague. Barton House is nice as well and is right in the middle of town but don't know what it's like for price.

Try get a place with an Alarm and reinforced locks on the windows if they're wooden but realistically uPVC windows would be your best option. Check for draughts, damp etc.. Talk to the neighbours beforehand if you can.

Moyglare is nice as well. Close to college, quiet and safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,884 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

:eek: There has to be a catch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

You cant sniff your tipp-ex in the house!

I'm his neighbour....! :P :D

• Advertisement

Nope, Well we got broken into last year but the landlord got an alarm installed and reinforced window locks after. We had an attempted break in this year but they couldn't get the window open. And after that the landlord got security lights all around the house. So for €100 it's great, Unlimited electricity, Oil, etc. So no need to worry about filling up a tank of oil every few months.

Advertisement