Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion? 2!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

Finally got my student card today, but it has the wrong degree on it.

LOL

I didn't say anything though, I couldn't wait for it any longer.. :P

I wouldn't be so quick to keep it, that's the degree they might give you! Unless it's a more awesome degree than the one you're actually doing. Remember: Science<everything else, got it? So, let's just run through that again:

SCIENCE

everything else

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Alt_Grrr

Science>everything else
    SCIENCE

everything else

corrected

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

Having a day where I would love to deny any knowledge of existence of anything other than a never ending cup of tea and Project Free TV. Had a tough 2 1/2 hour lecture this morning. Now working on a word-limit less assignment but needs to be around 10 pages or so, due Friday, so much reading to do before I can begin to write anything. I also have a 5,000 word assignment due Friday week.
    Had a migraine for coming on to two weeks now, which is ridiculous. I think I would love to just be able to go to college in a onesie (which I do not own, frankly it is a sin) and sit at my desk wrapped up in my duvet with a long straw to my never ending cup of tea.
    Masters are tough!! Don't get me wrong, I find it fascinating and a penny dropped today about one of the modules, which was fantastic.
    I think I just need to buy a onesie and this should solve all my problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

kellief wrote: »
    Having a day where I would love to deny any knowledge of existence of anything other than a never ending cup of tea and Project Free TV. Had a tough 2 1/2 hour lecture this morning. Now working on a word-limit less assignment but needs to be around 10 pages or so, due Friday, so much reading to do before I can begin to write anything. I also have a 5,000 word assignment due Friday week.
    Had a migraine for coming on to two weeks now, which is ridiculous. I think I would love to just be able to go to college in a onesie (which I do not own, frankly it is a sin) and sit at my desk wrapped up in my duvet with a long straw to my never ending cup of tea.
    Masters are tough!! Don't get me wrong, I find it fascinating and a penny dropped today about one of the modules, which was fantastic.
    I think I just need to buy a onesie and this should solve all my problems.

Life will become clearer ina onesie.

Someone come help me with Maths and Chemistry :o

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Is there an express printer thing for the Student Travel cards in the SU still? It says on the Travelcard form there is but I don't know?

Yup there is

• Advertisement

marko93 wrote: »
    Life will become clearer ina onesie.

Someone come help me with Maths and Chemistry :o

I must invest in one...although I only have €2 so I may wait a while!
    I'm now considering what I want for dinner and laziness is saying a bowl of cereal...

Alt_Grrr wrote: »
    corrected

Thank you kindly :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

Hi all how do I sell my boks through the subook bookshop.

Will they give the money first or money when its sold ?

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

kellief wrote: »
    sit at my desk wrapped up in my duvet with a long straw to my never ending cup of tea.

That would be soooooo amazing! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Paczini

Hi all how do I sell my boks through the subook bookshop.

Will they give the money first or money when its sold ?
    Quote from another thread:
    plumpote wrote: »
    You can bring your books in to the SU shop, you decide the price, but the SU takes 25% of whatever you sell your book for (so say your book sells for €10-you get €7.50 and the SU gets €2.50).

The books have to be on this year's booklist for the shop to take them.

Hope this helps!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭plumpote

To add to this, i'm pretty sure they won't give you the money until afterwards. Some books have been there a LONG time!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

Seriously, can anyone help me out with some Java programming? Just does not want to work out for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Yo mama so fat she's an array out of bounds exception error.

marko93 wrote: »
    Seriously, can anyone help me out with some Java programming? Just does not want to work out for me!

what parts are you having trouble with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

banquo wrote: »
    Yo mama so fat she's an array out of bounds exception error.

Yo mamma so fat, the upper limit of the integral of her curves is infinity.

DB21 wrote: »
    Yo mamma so fat, the upper limit of the integral of her curves is infinity.

Yo Mamma so fat, that she is at higher risk of type 2 diabetes as well a range of other health problems associated with being so overweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 DarkBlue_18

Hey people I haven't a clue where to post this but does anybody know what time the reading room in the arts block closes at on a friday as the library closes at 7?

As far as I can remember it's around 10? Ask security though!

I am so very tired and my brain so very confused!

How are ye all that aren't going to the beers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

Paczini wrote: »
    Quote from another thread:

Hm, The books I have are not on the book list, but they can be used for any subjects.

Should I still take it to the SU ?

thanks

• Advertisement

Om nom nom 13 hour work day

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Paczini

Hm, The books I have are not on the book list, but they can be used for any subjects.

Should I still take it to the SU ?

thanks
    You can still ask them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

English is ridiculously hard.. I thought i'd be good at it seeing as I got an A1 in the Leaving and nearly 100% overall, but i'm seriously struggling with it..

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

English is ridiculously hard.. I thought i'd be good at it seeing as I got an A1 in the Leaving and nearly 100% overall, but i'm seriously struggling with it..

I have heard an awful lot say the exact same about English over the years. My cousin warned me against it in fact!

I think the leaving cert can give people false hope with college subjects sometimes. I've seen it happen with people with History too but yet I nearly failed History and I love it in college! I've always done well in it too!

I have heard an awful lot say the exact same about English over the years. My cousin warned me against it in fact!

I think the leaving cert can give people false hope with college subjects sometimes. I've seen it happen with people with History too but yet I nearly failed History and I love it in college! I've always done well in it too!

Awh you've no idea, I literally haven't a clue about the assignments and i'm just doing them for the sake of it.. I think so too, when I was changing course though the woman in Admissions really pushed that I should do it because of my mark in the Leaving like, truly regret listening to that advice now! :(.. French probably would've been easier!

Ah well, with the Psychology you only have to do the 2 subjects for 1st year so i'll just have to adjust and try my best! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Eh, just before you get your first essay back... I don't know if anyone's told you about the marking scheme in university yet. Don't be freaked out if you get your essay back and it's a 65. That's a fairly high mark, much better than average in fact. 70+ is basically your equivalent of an A.

From http://examinations.nuim.ie/marks_standards.shtml:
    First Class Honours 70-100%
    Second Class Honours Grade I 60-69%
    Second Class Honours Grade II 50-59%
    Third Class Honours 45-49%
    Pass 40-44%

When I did first year English no-one got more than an 80, and that was just the one. In third year I heard vague shocked whisperings of an 85. 80's are very rare in departments with essays and writing exams. English, Philosophy, History etc. etc. I've done a bunch of modules where not a single person got a 70 or more.

So don't be shocked at what might seem like a low mark. Although maybe now they put that info into first year handbooks? I have no idea.

mickstupp wrote: »
    Eh, just before you get your first essay back... I don't know if anyone's told you about the marking scheme in university yet. Don't be freaked out if you get your essay back and it's a 65. That's a fairly high mark, much better than average in fact. 70+ is basically your equivalent of an A.

From http://examinations.nuim.ie/marks_standards.shtml:

When I did first year English no-one got more than an 80, and that was just the one. In third year I heard vague shocked whisperings of an 85. 80's are very rare in departments with essays and writing exams. English, Philosophy, History etc. etc. I've done a bunch of modules where not a single person got a 70 or more.

So don't be shocked at what might seem like a low mark. Although maybe now they put that info into first year handbooks? I have no idea.

Thank you! :) I hope I do well on my first essay, even though, at the minute I haven't the slightest notion how to even start it.. It's shocking confusing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

You should check out the writing centre. I don't know where exactly it is physically, but you can get to their Moodle page easily enough. There should be a link on your personal homepage, underneath 'Useful Links'. They have a lot of useful links and guides to various parts of essay writing. Reading through some of that stuff might give you a few pointers.

Couple of things I'd recommend...
    "How to Write Better Essays", by Bryan Greetham, it's a green book, there's one in the library: 808.042 GRE (day loan). I found it really helpful.
    "Elements of Style", by William Strunk: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/37134 - very short, I'd recommend reading this straight through and keeping the link handy.
    There's some good stuff here too, if you have the time to go through it: http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/

Don't underestimate the value of editing and polishing. I sh*t you not, a good polish can gain you an entire grade. You see far too many people sitting in one of the computer rooms, printing, stapling, submitting, without ever properly polishing their essay. They're basically throwing away marks. But that's for the end stages...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Writing Centre is in Rye Hall I think, where the MSC is.

If you're ever badly stuck with your English PictureFrame, send us an oul PM and I'll see if I can help. There's a huge difference between LC and college English, so it can take a while to get used to it.

• Advertisement

Everybody should take themselves here right now for an instant happiness boost brought on by cute explosion :D

Advertisement