Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion? 2!!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Let's not yet into silky and personal digs. As the rules have been throughout this while thing, can everyone please stay civil and stick to polite debate. If this gets in any way nasty I will issue infractions and end it completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I'm sorry GarIT, but what the fcuk did you just say about attractive women and sexism? Also I wasn't at the protest, I was at work. They shared my FB profile picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

I HAVE CHERRY COCA COLA FROM THE VENDING MACHINE!

IT EXISTS!

THIS IS THE BEST NEWS I'VE HAD IN MONTHS!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Again, strippergate had nothing to do with sexism. To this point, no one has been able to explain how those two are connected. There have been no disgusting comments on boards here at all.
    It was a catalyst. The protest was about the instiutional sexism in the students union and on campus. None of you believe me, but it does exist. Sexist events such as jelly wrestling, lovely girls competition, wet t shirt comps. Sexist advertising. Any time feminism is mentioned on campus, people involved are called names. Any time something controversial happens on campus that we speak up about, we get barrages of hate and abuse. Don't believe me, I really couldn't give a sh1t at this stage. We're not going to shut up about it so yous might as well get used to it.

I really don't get how it's so hard fir yous to even see it from the other side like.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

mickstupp wrote: »

IT EXISTS!

Now if only there was Vanilla Coke...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

mickstupp wrote: »

IT EXISTS!

Is it not in Deals like all the time???

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I believe the Lovely Girls Competition was what they call "ironising", in that it was done in irony with the intention of subjecting that culture to mockery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

I haven't tasted it in 25 years. I still love it!

Happy happy happy happy cherry buzz.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,739 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Seren_ wrote: »
    It was a catalyst. The protest was about the instiutional sexism in the students union and on campus. None of you believe me, but it does exist. Sexist events such as jelly wrestling, lovely girls competition, wet t shirt comps.

No one is making anyone involve themselves in those events. They cause no harm to anyone. Men were involved in the jelly wrestling as far as I'm aware. Again I reference the take me out event. This has nothing to do with gender equality so stop trying to dress it up like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Toshi101

banquo wrote: »
    I believe the Lovely Girls Competition was what they call "ironising", in that it was done in irony with the intention of subjecting that culture to mockery.

What cause women are supposed to stay at home and Iron?????? SEXISM!!!!!!!

:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Nope, just make sandwiches, so long as the sandwiches aren't too thick.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

Nope, just make sandwiches, so long as the sandwiches aren't too thick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

You can have a lovely boys competition if you like. No one's stopping you.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Prawo_Jazdy

GarIT wrote: »
    You were in a public place at a public event, anybody has a legal right to take your picture. Was the protest exclusively female? How were the people against the protest sexist? When you have 1960 views you are open to ridicule, look at NUIG as an example, extreme right conservatives will always get abuse as will extreme left liberals.

I have never heard an attractive female complain about sexism.

From the photo on it does not look in anyway exclusively female. https://scontent-b-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t1.0-9/1959296_596343210443668_1034351770_n.jpg

although i'm not sure if any of the guys are attractive enough for you for their compaints to matter on the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 universal design3.12

It was a catalyst. The protest was about the instiutional sexism in the students union and on campus. None of you believe me, but it does exist. Sexist events such as jelly wrestling, lovely girls competition, wet t shirt comps. Sexist advertising. Any time feminism is mentioned on campus, people involved are called names. Any time something controversial happens on campus that we speak up about, we get barrages of hate and abuse. Don't believe me, I really couldn't give a sh1t at this stage. We're not going to shut up about it so yous might as well get used to it.

I really don't get how it's so hard fir yous to even see it from the other side like.

I think what makes it difficult for the otherside to comprehend the problem is that they either are personally invested in the status quo and so feel challenged by any perceived threat or they see these social structures as natural and ordinary so that no challenge is necessary.
    Also this isn't an attack on men, being one myself, by otherside I mean those who are opposed to this protest and lets face it usually any collective action.

I think what makes it difficult for the otherside to comprehend the problem is that they either are personally invested in the status quo and so feel challenged by any perceived threat or they see these social structures as natural and ordinary so that no challenge is necessary.

I respectfully disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,105 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Was tempted to faux protest today just for a chance to use the following simpsons wonder.

"Two,four,six,eight, the stripper incident was very great, great meaning large or immense we use it in the pejorative sense."

Ah well there is always the next stupid on campus protest.

Fair play to the staff that did not sign that petition, opportunism gone mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

Just thought I'd pipe in to say this is the same society who sent out this abhorrent and sexist picture

Hd5oYxF.jpg

Comments like that in bold are exactly why you have so little support, you are blind to the other side.

The events you named were all attended and participated in by both gender. Even more ironically, if you had attended the jelly wrestling you would have noted it was mostly men who were in it. The lovely girls competition had cross-dressing men in it.

The MAIN issue with FemSoc is that they kick up a fuss over anything halfway controversial, but when they are challenged, just respond with tangential and strawman arguments, and most annoyingly, double standards. If anyone wants an example of this: Chris Hannan opposed the picture above politely and sensibly on Facebook because it is fundamentally sexist. The response was to tell him he was trivialising rape. That is not an argument, that is ridiculous.

When asked why male strippers were not sexist in DCU the response was that they were members of the DanceSoc? :confused: That's not an argument that's a double standard.

The poster above also stated that everyone in Maynooth was, and I quote, "an annoying idiot". That's a strange thing to say when you have the best interests of the campus at heart.

I'm here all day..

Lads, if we're gonna bash Femsoc, let's at least do it on the weekend when I'm free and can have a few beers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Prawo_Jazdy

Lads, if we're gonna bash Femsoc, let's at least do it on the weekend when I'm free and can have a few beers.

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to have a few beers and bash it.

Just thought I'd pipe in to say this is the same society who sent out this abhorrent and sexist picture

Hd5oYxF.jpg

Hmmm, I've been off campus a few years now but can anyone inform if a matching one for male victims was also done? Because that seems incredibly flawed and misinforming otherwise.

And let's not bash societies on thread please.

Calm, reasoned discussion of the issues at the hand, that's what we're gonna be having here right?

It'd be more a spectator sport from my point of view. Until, like, beer 5.

Thwip! wrote: »
    Hmmm, I've been off campus a few years now but can anyone inform if a matching one for male victims was also done? Because that seems incredibly flawed and misinforming otherwise.

And let's not bash societies on thread please.

Calm, reasoned discussion of the issues at the hand, that's what we're gonna be having here right?

Nein, only 1 poster.

Nein, only 1 poster.

Well that's lovely.

Congrats to those involved in its use
    Way to perpetuate the "men can't be raped" culture, nice job
    cutcaster-photo-100707730-Nice-Job-Green-Road-Sign-with-Sky.jpg

I assume their "almost half of all rapes in Ireland happen to men in prison, a state institution, while overwhelmingly men get higher sentences for the same crime as women" got lost by the printer or something.

But seriously. Rape is a horrific crime, we should probably start a) being honest about it, and b) take it seriously instead of putting up sarcastic posters.

I assume their "almost half of all rapes in Ireland happen to men in prison, a state institution, while overwhelmingly men get higher sentences for the same crime as women" got lost by the printer or something.

But seriously. Rape is a horrific crime, we should probably start a) being honest about it, and b) take it seriously instead of putting up sarcastic posters.

This is part of the problem though, any male victim that sees a poster like that, or the god awful MAN UP campaign is going to feel like they're in the wrong for having being raped.

For the record:

There is nothing wrong with being a man, inherently or otherwise.

There is nothing wrong with being a young man.

There is nothing wrong with masculinity.

Contrary to what it may look like the last few days, I do actually get work done during the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,105 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Contrary to what it may look like the last few days, I do actually get work done during the day.

Must remember to higher you as my press agent if I ever run for a political position, you are great at stretching the truth. :P

Advertisement