Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion? 2!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

99 Problems but that lady dog ain't one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

99 Problems but that lady dog ain't one.

99 problems

Thwip! wrote: »

Can mods ban themselves, note to the powers that be we need a vomit emoticon, stat.

Can mods ban themselves, note to the powers that be we need a vomit emoticon, stat.

"Trust not the judgement of a robbing bandit" - Old Mod Proverb

True that, mine username has no space therefore I am as honest as Abe himself.

• Advertisement

True that, mine username has no space therefore I am as honest as Abe himself.

My need to avoid the red squiggle from spell-check necessitated the space usage.

Curse you, Red Squiggle

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

People making noise outside the SU, have a sign and all

Here's a bad photo from the Callan building

2014-03-13122638_zps7468bf00.jpg

Sign reads "Students Against Sexism"

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

People making noise outside the SU, have a sign and all

Here's a bad photo from the Callan building

2014-03-13122638_zps7468bf00.jpg

Sign reads "Students Against Sexism"

They are so right. Male strippers should have been asked to perform as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

The brave war on abstract nouns continues. I wonder how often they've protested against the actual seedy strip clubs in the city centre? Not that I'm suggesting blind opportunism / being led by events or anything.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

banquo wrote: »
    Years ago, when I had a week off between and old an new job, I set up a facebook profile for my dog out of sheer boredom.

https://www.facebook.com/judy.mydog?fref=ts

Now, my dog's FB has the shiny new Facebook, while I still have the crummy old one. She also got timeline months before I did.
    Me and your dog have 8 friends in common apparently

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Pedro K

So what actually happened that was sexist? Oh yeah, nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 WhyDo IEven

The Student Standard

A group of NUI Maynooth students, staff and alumni calling themselves the Students Against Sexism NUIM have gathered outside Maynooth Students' Union (MSU) in protest against the events covered in last weekend's Sunday World newspaper. They are demanding a representative from MSU speak to them regarding the incident.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=596343210443668&set=a.354978917913433.76788.264249796986346&type=1&theater

This is ridiculous. Totally trying to hijack the elections from people who were not even involved. Actually behave like grown ups, organise a civilised meeting, then maybe you'll be taken seriously and spoken to about the 'incident'.

Pffft. Won't get your picture in the papers that way.

See it's a straw man protest, what did poor sexism do to deserve to be dragged into this nonsense, if what happened happened the way it shouldn't have ie funds used to pay for something they shouldn't have, and I am not saying it did, but if it did then there will be an investigation and measures put in place to prevent the likes happening every again I am sure.

This is how things are done in Ireland though, people protest about the most ridiculous things at the most ridiculous times.

I think the real question is, where's my Nama?

Also this thread has had 3k views since yesterday. Mental

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

banquo wrote: »
    I think the real question is, where's my Nama?

I read that as Nana and thought that you had misplaced your grandmother while bringing her out for tea.

But never the dog....

NEVER. THE. DOG.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭EWong

"totally unacceptable and highly arousing". Judging from what I think he was actually trying to say, that turn of phrase is unfortunate! :L

• Advertisement

The Student Standard have just posted up a letter sent by staff members of the college. A lot of the usual known feminists appear to have signed:
    "To Professor Philip Nolan, President of NUI Maynooth,

Ben Finnegan, President of Maynooth Student’s Union

We the undersigned staff at NUI Maynooth were angry and dismayed to learn of last week’s event held at the Students Union Bar where it is alleged that students associated with the Vice President of NUIM Students Union hired a number of women to strip. The fact that the event was advertised on social media and via posters suggests a degree of planning and pre-meditation on the part of the organisers.

It is simply not good enough for the Students Union to claim that it had no formal association with the event. The event took place on the premises of the SU Bar and was advertised partly through an official NUIM SU sabbatical officer’s social media outlet. The Students Union must demonstrate with evidence that none of its funds were used to support the event’s staging.

This kind of activity has no place on our campus or in our society. It constitutes a gross derogation from the norms of dignity of the person expected of members of the NUIM campus community. That the event took place in the run-up to International Women’s Day renders it even more offensive and objectionable. The young men who organised this event must understand that the objectification of women manifest in this misogynistic event is completely unacceptable within our community and beyond in our society.

Signed

Amanda Bent
    Dr. Conrad Brunstrom
    Anne Byrne
    Dr. Denis Condon
    Professor Mary Corcoran
    Dr. Íde Corley
    Dr. Colin Coulter
    Dr. Michael Cronin
    Dr. Pauline Cullen
    Dr. Oona Frawley
    Dr. Pauline Garvey
    Dr. Colin Graham
    Professor Luke Gibbons
    Dr. Kylie Jarrett
    Dr. Sinéad Kennedy
    Dr. Chandana Mathur
    Claire McGing
    Dr. Jeneen Naji
    Dr. Anne O’Brien
    Tracy O’Flaherty
    Dr. Stephen O’Neill
    Professor Sean O’Riain
    Dr. Rebecca King O’Riain
    Dr. John O’Brennan
    Dr. Deirdre Quinn
    Dr. Stephanie Rains
    Sinéad Redmond
    Dr. Thomas Strong
    Dr. Moynagh Sullivan
    Dr. Gavan Titley"

whistle-300x225.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Oh ffs, this is really getting out of hand.

I'm still trying to work out why it took a week to explode in the first place and why we're STILL talking about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

The Student Standard have just posted up a letter sent by staff members of the college. A lot of the usual known feminists appear to have signed:

The only thing that is degrading people in this case is the people that are judging the girls based on their chosen careers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭token56

Wow, talk about a storm in a teacup. Should there have been strippers performing in the SU, no, but such an over reaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I was taking a break from here, but just wanted to see the reaction to the protest.

The amount of fcuking abuse I recieved today (including my picture being posted on a meme page on facebook calling me a "butthurt feminist") just backs all of what we've been saying up. Absolutely vile comments were posted on the event page for the protest. And you lot say there's not a culture of sexism in Maynooth? The posts on the last few pages of this thread have been disgusting. Clearly if you don't have the same views as the hivemind on this forum you are open to ridicule and abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Again, strippergate had nothing to do with sexism. To this point, no one has been able to explain how those two are connected. There have been no disgusting comments on boards here at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Seren_ wrote: »
    I was taking a break from here, but just wanted to see the reaction to the protest.

The amount of fcuking abuse I recieved today (including my picture being posted on a meme page on facebook calling me a "butthurt feminist") just backs all of what we've been saying up. Absolutely vile comments were posted on the event page for the protest. And you lot say there's not a culture of sexism in Maynooth? The posts on the last few pages of this thread have been disgusting. Clearly if you don't have the same views as the hivemind on this forum you are open to ridicule and abuse.

You were in a public place at a public event, anybody has a legal right to take your picture. Was the protest exclusively female? How were the people against the protest sexist? When you have 1960 views you are open to ridicule, look at NUIG as an example, extreme right conservatives will always get abuse as will extreme left liberals.

I have never heard an attractive female complain about sexism.

• Advertisement

This went fast in a bad direction.

Advertisement