Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Eoghan and Anne Harris and Sindo a threat to democracy ?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

I really don't know how so many people who hate the Sindo seem so informed about who writes for them, and what they are writing.
    IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, DON'T BUY IT

Buying it out of curiosity is only adding to their revenue.

I hope they are no excuses like "I found a copy left over on the bus", "a housemate of mine buys it and I had time to kill" etc.....

Personally I think I could deal with the extreme opinions and lack of balance, but I like to feel reassured that what I'm reading is factually true, and the Sindo has been sued enough times to show that you cannot assume this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

feargale wrote: »
    He is a man of many parts, who in his time has supported pre-split Sinn Fein, Official Sinn Fein, John Bruton's Fine Gael, Bertie Ahern and Unionism. Any bets he'll end up where he began?

Up his own arse? It's already happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭AndyMc

I dont think the Op understands democracy. They backed a bad politician not the Irish Fidel Castro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

darkdubh wrote: »
    And that American wan whose name I forget who was forced to resign after her trolling comments about the paralympics.
    Mary Ellen Synon. I'm not a fan by a long shot, but I genuinely think what she meant in that article was that an Olympics event for people with disabilities just further serves to emphasise their differences to able-bodied people and is patronising, schmaltzy etc. Not saying I agree with it, but I don't think she was trolling with that one and instead was putting across a genuine point of view, albeit in a clumsy way.
    maryishere wrote: »
    +1. And at least Eoghan Harris has the guts and the backbone to stand up to extremist republicans. Its good for democracy that someone tells the truth now and again.
    Lots of journalists do ffs. It's hardly that brave. You'd swear the media was really pro Sinn Féin overall.
    And it's possible to condemn hardline provos without resorting to "The black and tans weren't that bad" type trolling that Harris resorts to, in keeping with the pathetic self loathing, hardline unionist worshipping ethos of the rag. Yeh, that's real "integrity" there.

I do think O'Brien's monopoly is quite an eye-opener. When he was successful in his bid for Today FM and FM104 a few years back, despite already having NewsTalk and 98FM in his portfolio, I found it pretty shocking. Even if there was a condition that he sell 104.
    Today FM, NewsTalk (Cooper and Hook shows are natural competitors - it's bizarre), 98FM, Spin, and Phantom are all under the Communicorp umbrella now. It's a bit much, in my opinion. Sam Smyth's show being axed on Today FM (and no replacement show for him) was quite notable too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Mary Ellen Synon. I'm not a fan by a long shot, but I genuinely think what she meant in that article was that an Olympics event for people with disabilities just further serves to emphasise their differences to able-bodied people and is patronising, schmaltzy etc. Not saying I agree with it, but I don't think she was trolling with that one and instead was putting across a genuine point of view, albeit in a clumsy way.

Lots of journalists do ffs. It's hardly that brave. You'd swear the media was really pro Sinn Féin overall.
    And it's possible to condemn hardline provos without resorting to "The black and tans weren't that bad" type trolling that Harris resorts to, in keeping with the pathetic self loathing, hardline unionist worshipping ethos of the rag. Yeh, that's real "integrity" there.

I do think O'Brien's monopoly is quite an eye-opener. When he was successful in his bid for Today FM and FM104 a few years back, despite already having NewsTalk and 98FM in his portfolio, I found it pretty shocking. Even if there was a condition that he sell 104.
    Today FM, NewsTalk (Cooper and Hook shows are natural competitors - it's bizarre), 98FM, Spin, and Phantom are all under the Communicorp umbrella now. It's a bit much, in my opinion. Sam Smyth's show being axed on Today FM (and no replacement show for him) was quite notable too.
    I remember he done an article years ago about care homes for the elderly in NI years ago saying that only for good protestant people working in these homes that Catholic residends would be wallowing in their own sh*t.
    His attack then on Irish protestants about not ranting and raving alongside him because he likes to think they were all taken out and shot in the 20s and calling them silent cowards is something that should have been stopped years ago in any decent paper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

tipptom wrote: »
    I remember he done an article years ago about care homes for the elderly in NI years ago saying that only for good protestant people working in these homes that Catholic residends would be wallowing in their own sh*t.
    His attack then on Irish protestants about not ranting and raving alongside him because he likes to think they were all taken out and shot in the 20s and calling them silent cowards is something that should have been stopped years ago in any decent paper.

All you have to do is read one of his articles to realise he is not playing with the full deck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

All you have to do is read one of his articles to realise he is not playing with the full deck.
    Yeh, Sindo still publishes it though. Complete shower.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭thomur

Eoghan Harris is an extremely obnoxious, narcissistic and delusional individual. If all that is wrong with this country could be embodied in one man Eoghan Harris would be that man.

That's why I buy it. Always good to see how the other half think. Also buy the Sunday Times. You don't have to agree with what they say in the papers but there are all sorts of people in the world. In fairness the Independent on Saturday is a great read. Love Walk of the Week.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Paddy De Plasterer

The Sindo is the pits though. At least old Irish Press had some integrity.

I was amazed that so many people were amazed when Terry Keane revealed 'Sweetie' to be the bould Charlie Haughey. After all she'd spent years talking about him, giving broad hints as to his identity. Then we had Gayle Killilea (now Mrs Dunne). The final straw for me was the pathetic tripe peddled by the moronic Barry Egan. How the hell he gets away with the sh1te he writes beggars belief.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭cml387

I was amazed that so many people were amazed when Terry Keane revealed 'Sweetie' to be the bould Charlie Haughey. After all she'd spent years talking about him, giving broad hints as to his identity. Then we had Gayle Killilea (now Mrs Dunne). The final straw for me was the pathetic tripe peddled by the moronic Barry Egan. How the hell he gets away with the sh1te he writes beggars belief.

Mentioned in Private Eye in the early eighties. Charlie tried to buy up all the stock in Dublin.
    This is the kind of nonsense that passes for journalism in Ireland. I know something but I'm not telling you.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Paddy De Plasterer

Terry Keane's drivel was ghost written for years by Anne Aldershot Harris. Well known fact

Advertisement