Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Eoghan and Anne Harris and Sindo a threat to democracy ?

Options
  • 30-03-2012 8:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭

Reading the Sindo of late and the disgraceful way it backed Bertie Ahern, even when he was telling lies, and gave free rein to likes of Willie O Dea , I think the Sindo is a threat to democracy. Eoghan Harris of course for a Senate seat from Bertie. His ex wife Anne Harris is now the editor and has much control. The Sindo is also comprised of hacks like Brendan O Connor who wrote in 2007, even as crash was coming, that " Now was he time to buy". And of course there is Jody Corcoran, John Drennan. I think the Sindo is a threat to our state, and its controlled by Sir AJ Reilly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭AeoNGriM

Reading the Sindo of late and the disgraceful way it backed Bertie Ahern, even when he was telling lies, and gave free rein to likes of Willie O Dea , I think the Sindo is a threat to democracy. Eoghan Harris of course for a Senate seat from Bertie. His ex wife Anne Harris is now the editor and has much control. The Sindo is also comprised of hacks like Brendan O Connor who wrote in 2007, even as crash was coming, that " Now was he time to buy". And of course there is Jody Corcoran, John Drennan. I think the Sindo is a threat to our state, and its controlled by Sir AJ Reilly.

For democracy to be under threat it would first have to exist in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Paddy De Plasterer

But the Sindo helped to undermine it - backing Bertie and his lies, probably the influence of Sir AJ since his Payback editorial. And Sindo thinks SF are the only subversives here .

AeoNGriM wrote: »

what little there was is destroyed by Sindo and Harris types, along with their idol Bertie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

AeoNGriM wrote: »

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

Stopped reading the Sindo awhile back, made me too angry Sunday is a chill out day after all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

I hate the Sunday Independent as much as the next man, but I have to say that if you don't buy it and don't read it, you can quite quickly forget the existence of it. Try not to lose any sleep over it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I don't buy,but sometimes, as I am a happy go lucky sort of bloke, I will read it online just to put me in a bad mood.Just checking my emotions still work.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JMSE

I dont read the Sindo or any other newspaper, I get all my news from the newsroom at Spin103..... I wonder which party owns Spin???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

The very strange thing bout the sindo is the amount of people who give out about it yet buy it to read it so they can give out about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

Democracy is a crap system anyway, it's like a political x factor!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

JMSE wrote: »
    I dont read the Sindo or any other newspaper, I get all my news from the newsroom at Spin103..... I wonder which party owns Spin???

Sorry to have to correct you but Denis O Brien owns Spin, so you could say that Spin owns Fine Gael.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

Lumbo wrote: »
    Sorry to have to correct you but Denis O Brien owns Spin, so you could say that Spin owns Fine Gael.

Nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

That the Sindo is free to publish its shtick is a mark of a free democracy. Its not a threat, certainly no more than trade unions anyway.

The Sindo today is a disgrace, Harris ex squeeze Anne Sullivan-Harris- Fanning has the neck to say the following:
    http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/anne-harris-proud-to-work-for-a-newspaper-which-takes-on-the-rich-and-powerful-directly-3074200.html

....and she working for Sir AJ Reilly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Saying the Sindo is a threat to democracy should be greeted with the same reaction that followed that clown McSharry calling Politics.ie and Boards as subversive threats to the state i.e. total and utter ridicule.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

We voted in Bertie more than once, we didn't seem to care much at all about money back when things were good, he knew that and he knew the only way for him to keep his job was to keep the majority happy and that's what he did!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭seniorstaff

The Sindo seems to be a pro FF rag who has only time for berty and his ex celia larkin, they are waging a war on public sector workers on the behalf of there ibec buddys and there aim is to divide public / private workers

Thet also employ the ex newsreader emer okelly who is on a huge pension from RTE and was strongly rumored to be charlie haughies mistess many years ago
    It looks like a jobs club for ff lackys and bedmates;)

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    I hate the Sunday Independent as much as the next man, but I have to say that if you don't buy it and don't read it, you can quite quickly forget the existence of it. Try not to lose any sleep over it!

Sindo is a dirt rag. Glad to see the OReilly clique gone, hope Harrises are next

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

Reading the Sindo of late and the disgraceful way it backed Bertie Ahern, even when he was telling lies, and gave free rein to likes of Willie O Dea , I think the Sindo is a threat............................................................................................
    ........................................... and its controlled by Sir AJ Reilly.

People like you that use "Sir" are a bigger threat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

OP things have moved on quite a bit in the sindo and INM generally,which are controlled by Denis O'Brien, not O'Reilly.

There is no doubt but that O'Brien's media influence across radio and the print media represents an unhealthy concentration of power, especially in light of his commercial interests, and political background.

Should we be worried?

well...here is an example of Denis O'Brien's management style:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/business/2.790/i-don-t-mind-a-bit-of-an-oul-scrap-every-now-and-then-that-s-me-1.956753

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

I'm sure it would be a threat to democracy if there were a nationwide quiz held every thursday whereby everyone would have to answer questions relating to what was written,and those with low scores would be sent to "re-education" camps.

As it stands,you could just not buy or read it,I found it quite easy to do,and buy a copy of the Sunday Times instead.The other 6 days I do buy the indo.

Summary- No,not even close.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I think the Sindo is a threat to democracy.

OP doesn't like a certain newspaper and states that it is a threat to democracy. Oh the irony is strong in this one.

http://cdn2.independent.ie/videos/article29311387.ece/ALTERNATES/w300square/drennan_31May.flv+%28Generated+thumbnail%29

This is one of the Sindo's most idiotic clowns. And he gets ample time on RTE too

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Stopped buying it ages ago when it turned into a FF / Bertie fetish rag.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

OP things have moved on quite a bit in the sindo and INM generally,which are controlled by Denis O'Brien, not O'Reilly.

There is no doubt but that O'Brien's media influence across radio and the print media represents an unhealthy concentration of power, especially in light of his commercial interests, and political background.

Should we be worried?

well...here is an example of Denis O'Brien's management style:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/business/2.790/i-don-t-mind-a-bit-of-an-oul-scrap-every-now-and-then-that-s-me-1.956753
    But do you really believe that the Harrises/fannings are genuinly worried abot DOB threat of media monoply while they yearn for the return of Irelands previous arch monopoliser Sir AJ and sons.

tipptom wrote: »
    But do you really believe that the Harrises/fannings are genuinly worried abot DOB threat of media monoply while they yearn for the return of Irelands previous arch monopoliser Sir AJ and sons.
    They don't worry about his media monopoly, but they certainly care about who their boss is and what his opinions are. Their boss, of course, is Denis O'Brien these days, and there are a number of co-incidences, extraordinary coincidences, surrounding the identity of journalists who find themselves out of work in some of the O'Brien newspapers.

Personally I think the Sindo has taken a massively weaker pro-FF stance in recent times, and can now be characterised as more of a right wing populist newspaper, broadly unsympathetic to Labour and Sinn Féin in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

To paraphase Frank Zappa:
    The Sunday Independent is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read

• Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

According to Phoenix, DOB is letting her contract as editor run down because he doesn't want to give her the satisfaction of paying her off, even though it would be a pittance compared to the hundreds of millions he has already poured into INM. But it'll be up soon enough, and presumably herself and her ex will no longer be in a position to endanger our democracy...

According to Phoenix, DOB is letting her contract as editor run down because he doesn't want to give her the satisfaction of paying her off, even though it would be a pittance compared to the hundreds of millions he has already poured into INM. But it'll be up soon enough, and presumably herself and her ex will no longer be in a position to endanger our democracy...
    surely the logically anterior fact is denis o'brien's position in endangering a free media.

most people don't care about who edits the sindo. if it stops you having to order your coffee from brendan o'connor, be happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭cml387

I was about to ask why Anne Harris is still ed.Thank you, that makes sense.

Awful rag, and even glancing at the weekly headline (to sum up:THIS GOVERNMENT IS TERRIBLE THEY WANT TO STEAL YOUR CHILDREN BRING BACK FF) is enough to raise your blood pressure.

Interestingly the weekly Indo is not half as obnoxious, which once again points towards the editor's bias.

Advertisement