Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Eoghan and Anne Harris and Sindo a threat to democracy ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    I hate the Sunday Independent as much as the next man, but I have to say that if you don't buy it and don't read it, you can quite quickly forget the existence of it. Try not to lose any sleep over it!

This thread may get more readers than an Eoghan Harris column.

Yes he's an idiot. Yes a neo con. But he doesn't matter.

All hail the Internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

According to Phoenix, DOB is letting her contract as editor run down because he doesn't want to give her the satisfaction of paying her off, even though it would be a pittance compared to the hundreds of millions he has already poured into INM. But it'll be up soon enough, and presumably herself and her ex will no longer be in a position to endanger our democracy...

You know. People who disagree with you are not, in reality, a danger to democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

You know. People who disagree with you are not, in reality, a danger to democracy.
    I know, I was sarcastically echoing the OP's OTT rhetoric...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Gene Kerrigan's articles are the only reason to go near their website.

Excellent journo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

always interesting to see business men line O'Brien and Reilly get involved in one of the riskiest investments possible - the newspaper industry.

must be just a love of risk.

then again, when you own the world, but dont feel loved, owning media/ newspapers does offer a sense of Kingliness - which gives a sense of being loved. I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

ArtSmart wrote: »
    always interesting to see business men line O'Brien and Reilly get involved in one of the riskiest investments possible - the newspaper industry.

must be just a love of risk.

Or increased lobbying and agenda setting power.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭trashcan

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Gene Kerrigan's articles are the only reason to go near their website.

Excellent journo.

Dunno about that (don't buy or read the Sindo) but I got his last novel as a present for Christmas and made the mistake of reading it. Bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Nodin wrote: »
    Or increased lobbying and agenda setting power.
    tut tut.

How can you be so cynical Nodin?

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Paddy De Plasterer

According to Phoenix, DOB is letting her contract as editor run down because he doesn't want to give her the satisfaction of paying her off, even though it would be a pittance compared to the hundreds of millions he has already poured into INM. But it'll be up soon enough, and presumably herself and her ex will no longer be in a position to endanger our democracy...

Yes I agree with that. Phoennix had same thing a few months ago- that Aldershot Anne was sort of goading O Brien to fire here as she would then get a windfall. Good tactics to let her wind down, so as we will be rid of her and Harristotle Eoghan infestation for all time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

I remember the very nasty personal attacks the Sindo made on John Hume during the peace process.And that American wan whose name I forget who was forced to resign after her trolling comments about the paralympics.The 03 girls.The Keane Edge(half of it was ghostwritten by someone else).I could be on all day listing out reasons why the Sindo sucks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I am convinced that half the people who read the Independent do so, so they can get annoyed by it they get some sort of visceral satisfaction from it.

I do think we are getting a bit of sense about the media in general.

Anyone notice how all the media commentators on the crèche program tried to provoke the stay at home mammy's against the working mothers and more or less nobody fell for it.

Aldershot Anne is some baby. I think Eoghan is still guiding her hand. I see Gavin Reilly has landed a new job looking after some celebs like Dolly Parton. He loves the big ones !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

I think labelling those with whom you don't agree as threats to democracy is a threat to democracy.

Just look at the Sindo, tried to scupper Hume/Adams talks. Changed tack in May 2007 when Sir AJ was called to a meeting with Bertie and Biffo in May 2007 before GE when their coverage and opinion was changed totally. So thats good for democracy ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

There is no doubt but that O'Brien's media influence across radio and the print media represents an unhealthy concentration of power, especially in light of his commercial interests, and political background.

What I like about this "tax-dodger O'Brien is a threat to democracy" line (which he is) is that it has never been used by the same sycophants to describe tax dodger O'Reilly's oligarchic iron-fist control of the Irish print media for the past four decades. Now, that's agenda-driven journalism for you. The Sunday Independent is horrendous beyond words in every single aspect - it has no redeeming features whatsoever - and it has been made so by a combination of the in-bred Fanning/Harris families and cadet branches of equally inbred families such as the Caden-O'Connor, Ross-Webb lines, all of whom have been supported in their decidedly pro-British/anti-Irish politics by Anthony O'Reilly, tax-dodger, British citizen, egomaniac and threat to Irish democracy for the past four decades par excellence. When the elected Taoiseach and Tánaiste of the day are paying a visit to O'Reilly's home before the 2007 general election in order to get his paper's support, you know there is something fundamentally broken in Irish democracy.

Watching them all crumble after decades of abuse of power is like watching the British Empire fall amid rants of unfairness from its supporters. There is a God. She just can go quick enough on this one (although I do like the idea of Anne Harris finishing her contract so that she cannot get a lumpsum compensation payment. That's style.).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Dostoevsky wrote: »
    The Sunday Independent is horrendous beyond words in every single aspect - it has no redeeming features whatsoever

^^^This

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

darkdubh wrote: »
    I remember the very nasty personal attacks the Sindo made on John Hume during the peace process.

This. Never forgotten. In terms of respect, John Hume received more of it than all of the sub-standard intellects in the Sunday Independent and their tax dodging king, Anthony O'Reilly, could ever muster. John Hume stood head and shoulders above all Irish political figures of the twentieth century with the exception of Michael Collins.

It was 1988, when that attack on John Hume's character started under the editorship of Aengus Fanning and his wife Anne Harris, that the Sunday Independent was last bought in my home. If only all the people who profess to hating it stopped buying it....

This. Never forgotten. In terms of respect, John Hume received more of it than all of the sub-standard intellects in the Sunday Independent and their tax dodging king, Anthony O'Reilly, could ever muster. John Hume stood head and shoulders above all Irish political figures of the twentieth century with the exception of Michael Collins.

It was 1988, when that attack on John Hume's character started under the editorship of Aengus Fanning and his wife Anne Harris, that the Sunday Independent was last bought in my home. If only all the people who profess to hating it stopped buying it....

I agree totally. I have stopped buying it years ago. I detest people who buy it but then complain about it.

What I like about this "tax-dodger O'Brien is a threat to democracy" line (which he is) is that it has never been used by the same sycophants to describe tax dodger O'Reilly's oligarchic iron-fist control of the Irish print media for the past four decades. Now, that's agenda-driven journalism for you. The Sunday Independent is horrendous beyond words in every single aspect - it has no redeeming features whatsoever - and it has been made so by a combination of the in-bred Fanning/Harris families and cadet branches of equally inbred families such as the Caden-O'Connor, Ross-Webb lines, all of whom have been supported in their decidedly pro-British/anti-Irish politics by Anthony O'Reilly, tax-dodger, British citizen, egomaniac and threat to Irish democracy for the past four decades par excellence. When the elected Taoiseach and Tánaiste of the day are paying a visit to O'Reilly's home before the 2007 general election in order to get his paper's support, you know there is something fundamentally broken in Irish democracy.

Watching them all crumble after decades of abuse of power is like watching the British Empire fall amid rants of unfairness from its supporters. There is a God. She just can go quick enough on this one (although I do like the idea of Anne Harris finishing her contract so that she cannot get a lumpsum compensation payment. That's style.).

This is a very true post, a complete pack of family members. I think Sindo suffers from incestual relationships, the word "presstitutes" come to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

I agree totally. I have stopped buying it years ago. I detest people who buy it but then complain about it.

I agree with this. The sad truth though is that the choice of Irish Sunday newspapers is dire. Unless rebadged UK papers with a few pages of Irish content tacked on is your thing, what are you left with?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Eoghan Harris is an extremely obnoxious, narcissistic and delusional individual. If all that is wrong with this country could be embodied in one man Eoghan Harris would be that man.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭cml387

Eoghan Harris is an extremely obnoxious, narcissistic and delusional individual. If all that is wrong with this country could be embodied in one man Eoghan Harris would be that man.

He is not a uniquley irish phenomenon however. Polemic writers for some reason seem to start from a left standpoint and gradually move to the right.
    Examples from the UK would be the likes of Paul Johnston (New Statesman to the furthest right hinterlands of The Spectator), Melanie Philips (Guardian to Daily Mail) etc.

What makes Harris unique is that he at one point espoused fervently every shade of irish political opinion from Sinn Fein To Fine Gael to Fianna Fail.

And yet somehow he imagines that anything he now says must be treated with po faced seriousness.

A sad individual with no lasting legacy other than a Twink sketch and a column in a newspaper that lasts only because no one can be bothered to fire him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

Einhard wrote: »
    I think labelling those with whom you don't agree as threats to democracy is a threat to democracy.
    +1. And at least Eoghan Harris has the guts and the backbone to stand up to extremist republicans. Its good for democracy that someone tells the truth now and again.

maryishere wrote: »
    +1. And at least Eoghan Harris has the guts and the backbone to stand up to extremist republicans. Its good for democracy that someone tells the truth now and again.
    Do you think he's the only Irish journalist to ever condem the IRA?That man woulden't know the truth if it bit him on the @ss.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

cml387 wrote: »

What makes Harris unique is that he at one point espoused fervently every shade of irish political opinion from Sinn Fein To Fine Gael to Fianna Fail.

And yet somehow he imagines that anything he now says must be treated with po faced seriousness.

The sad thing is Harris is so deluded he actually thinks people take his disjointed, paranoid ramblings seriously. I would wager that most people that read his column do so for its (unintended) comedy value.

Proof that Harris can't handle the truth.

http://youtu.be/nLTdP44fGtE

• Registered Users Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

maryishere wrote: »

Unsurprisingly for harris, that's also revisionism. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eoghan_Harris#Republican

Surprising there was so little comment on Harris appointment to Senate. Imagine if it was done by any other Taoiseach after meeting between Bertie and Biffo with Sir AJ. Was it part of the deal the way the Sindo suddenly turned back to support Bert & FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

The Sindo is also comprised of hacks like Brendan O Connor who wrote in 2007, even as crash was coming, that " Now was he time to buy".

If your decision to buy was based solely on taking advice from Brendan O'Connor, you deserve all you get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Surprising there was so little comment on Harris appointment to Senate. Imagine if it was done by any other Taoiseach after meeting between Bertie and Biffo with Sir AJ. Was it part of the deal the way the Sindo suddenly turned back to support Bert & FF.

He is a man of many parts, who in his time has supported pre-split Sinn Fein, Official Sinn Fein, John Bruton's Fine Gael, Bertie Ahern and Unionism. Any bets he'll end up where he began?

Advertisement