Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro12: Munster vs Leinster, Sat 31 March 7:30pm, Live on RTÉ2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭antogz1979

Leinster
    Munster team named below. Wallace not making the bench is a bit of a disappointment. Murphy is the right call for me anyway over Hurley. Hurley doesn't make the bench either. Delighted for DOC2 deserves the start.

Munster: F Jones; J Murphy, K Earls, L Mafi, S Zebo; R O’Gara capt, T O'Leary; M Horan, D Varley, BJ Botha; D O’Callaghan,M O'Driscoll; Dave O'Callaghan, P O’Mahony, J Coughlan.

Replacements: M Sherry, W du Preez, S Archer; B Holland, T O’Donnell, D Williams, I Keatley, D Barnes.

Edit never noticed Horan starting, now that is a strange one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Leinster
    Leinster Team:

LEINSTER:

15: Rob Kearney
    14: Isa Nacewa
    13: Brian O'Driscoll
    12: Gordon D'Arcy
    11: Luke Fitzgerald
    10: Jonathan Sexton
    9: Eoin Reddan

1: Heinke van der Merwe
    2: Sean Cronin
    3: Mike Ross
    4: Brad Thorn
    5: Devin Toner
    6: Kevin McLaughlin
    7: Shane Jennings
    8: Jamie Heaslip CAPTAIN

REPLACEMENTS:

16: Richardt Strauss
    17: Cian Healy
    18: Jamie Hagan
    19: Leo Cullen
    20: Sean O'Brien
    21: Isaac Boss
    22: Ian Madigan
    23: Fergus McFadden

Source: http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/matchcentre/9731.php

• Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭budhabob

Leinster
    Munster: F Jones; J Murphy, K Earls, L Mafi, S Zebo; R O’Gara capt, T O'Leary; M Horan, D Varley, BJ Botha; D O’Callaghan,M O'Driscoll; Dave O'Callaghan, P O’Mahony, J Coughlan. Replacements: M Sherry, W du Preez, S Archer; B Holland, T O’Donnell, D Williams, I Keatley, D Barnes.

Interesting that neither Wallace or Hurley are in the squad.
    http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/10309.php

EDIT: Beaten to by above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

antogz1979 wrote: »
    Munster team named below. Wallace not making the bench is a bit of a disappointment. Murphy is the right call for me anyway over Hurley. Hurley doesn't make the bench either. Delighted for DOC2 deserves the start.

Munster: F Jones; J Murphy, K Earls, L Mafi, S Zebo; R O’Gara capt, T O'Leary; M Horan, D Varley, BJ Botha; D O’Callaghan,M O'Driscoll; Dave O'Callaghan, P O’Mahony, J Coughlan.

Replacements: M Sherry, W du Preez, S Archer; B Holland, T O’Donnell, D Williams, I Keatley, D Barnes.

Edit never noticed Horan starting, now that is a strange one.

I think it's the right call for Wallace, he's off the pace at the minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Dylan Hartley
    I hope D'Arcy has a good game. He needs it, I would have picked McFadden but then how can I challenge Schmidt.....

It is his 200 game, last player to do......Shaggy!!!!!!!

Maybe something in that!!! Sorry but if you asked me I would rather Shaggy in team instead of D'Arcy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

Dylan Hartley
    You can never predict the squad Schmidt is going to pick,
    Healy, SOB and Cullen on the bench.
    Looking forward to seeing Thorn and Toner playing together.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Leinster
    A few interesting selections from both sides.

Horan ahead of du Preez is interesting, first time in a while that Horan has started ahead of WDP in a first team game. No Hurley in the 23 which is very harsh on the guy. The only logic I can see is that they see Earls as a back three cover should injuries occur so they would prefer a replacement centre on the bench in Barnes. Wallace obviously isn't right just yet, you'd have to think he won't be involved next week. Is their AIL this weekend? Perhaps he could get gametime there...

Toner ahead of Cullen, possibly a call for the Heineken Cup game as well? Toner is getting a massive opportunity here and I hope he makes the most of it.

Leinster's bench looks far superior. Healy, Strauss and O'Brien will add explosiveness with 20 to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Dylan Hartley
    Really positive that Hagan is on the bench, and that Toner is with Thorn, I think they are a perfect partnership (in theory).

Dylan Hartley
    A few interesting selections from both sides.

Horan ahead of du Preez is interesting, first time in a while that Horan has started ahead of WDP in a first team game. No Hurley in the 23 which is very harsh on the guy. The only logic I can see is that they see Earls as a back three cover should injuries occur so they would prefer a replacement centre on the bench in Barnes. Wallace obviously isn't right just yet, you'd have to think he won't be involved next week. Is their AIL this weekend? Perhaps he could get gametime there...

Toner ahead of Cullen, possibly a call for the Heineken Cup game as well? Toner is getting a massive opportunity here and I hope he makes the most of it.

Leinster's bench looks far superior. Healy, Strauss and O'Brien will add explosiveness with 20 to go

Surprised that Cronin and to an extent Reddan aren't on the bench, the impact a bench of Reddan, Cronin, Healy and O'Brien could bring is frightening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Dylan Hartley
    After seeing the teams and benches I have changed my mind-I think Leinster will win by 5-6 points

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Leinster
    Some odd selections imo. Or surprising, at least.

Disappointing not to see Wallace on the bench at least, obviously not sharp enough for this yet. Interesting to see DOC2 get the nod over TOD, we need a big game from POM at 7. And Horan over Du Preez is an interesting one, Du Preez was in trouble against Connacht, maybe he's carrying a knock?

And I'd definitely have put Hurley in ahead of Murphy, and definitely ahead of Barnes on the bench. He's one of our most in-form players, his offloading gives us an extra dimension in attack, where we're often very predictable.

As for Leinster, am I the only one surprised by no SOB? I thought it would be a battle between McLaughlin and Jennings with SOB pretty much a certainty. But he's a big player to have coming off the bench too. I know some people were predicting Ryan to start. Toner and Thorn is a very formidable second row partnership, could be dominant at the lineout.

I honestly expected McFadden, Boss and Strauss to be starting...but again, they're big players to have on the bench.

Should be a cracker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

Dylan Hartley
    Horan ahead of du Preez is interesting, first time in a while that Horan has started ahead of WDP in a first team game. No Hurley in the 23 which is very harsh on the guy.

Hopefully he stays well away from BOD!!

I think it is going be a close game, Leinster have the stronger bench, hopefully that will push them across the line but still the Thomand Crowd will play a part as well.

Dylan Hartley
    Fireball07 wrote: »
    Some odd selections imo. Or surprising, at least.

Disappointing not to see Wallace on the bench at least, obviously not sharp enough for this yet. Interesting to see DOC2 get the nod over TOD, we need a big game from POM at 7. And Horan over Du Preez is an interesting one, Du Preez was in trouble against Connacht, maybe he's carrying a knock?

And I'd definitely have put Hurley in ahead of Murphy, and definitely ahead of Barnes on the bench. He's one of our most in-form players, his offloading gives us an extra dimension in attack, where we're often very predictable.

As for Leinster, am I the only one surprised by no SOB? I thought it would be a battle between McLaughlin and Jennings with SOB pretty much a certainty. But he's a big player to have coming off the bench too. I know some people were predicting Ryan to start. Toner and Thorn is a very formidable second row partnership, could be dominant at the lineout.

I honestly expected McFadden, Boss and Strauss to be starting...but again, they're big players to have on the bench.

Should be a cracker.

I wouldn't have predicted it, but it serves to: Give him a rest, give both Jennings/McLaughlin gametime, Jennings should help give us a high tempo game, and SOB's impact of the bench should be substantial.

Joe knows best!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Dylan Hartley
    I must say, and not just been a Leinster supporter, the bench we have is massive and could change the game.

Hagen over White is the only question I have, he looked...well f**ked...at last game and with Ross coming back from injury there is questions marks there

But just imagine, a Munster team tiring, looking to close out game, and you see O'Brien coming off bench!!! it will automatically drain your energy! the bullock got a raw deal with Ireland and will be mad to go!!!

Redden to start so looking for fast ball, maybe as Murray is not playing this is the reason not to play Boss. Also Redden will be looking to show people what he can do

Happy anyway, as always. I think Leinster have the team to win!! only lost last time because they had gone on beer after Heino cup win!!!

Hope Fitz has a good game!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭leakyboots

I was feeling reasonably confident until I saw the two benches, Leinster have massive impact.

However, a rusty BOD and D'Arcy up against Earls and Mafi, I'd hope to make a little hay here, if our pack can get good ball. Delighted to see Jennings start, I don't rate him.

Really tight to call, that Leinster bench could be the difference, even if some are returning from injury

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Curveball from Joe there regards the forwards.

If Archer's first scrum is against a fresh Healy, there could be an injury. Leinster have a stronger XV, and substantially stronger bench. What remains to be seen is how the Thomond factor will come to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

I haven't been following rugby very long yet, but is "holding the game down" for the 50-60 minutes and then bringing on "impact" players to clean things up and conclude a viable tactic in general? Sort of like a backwards approach. Not to say that what Schmidt's done is as cleancut as that, though.

Looking forward to seeing the Thorner partnership!

Leinster certainly attacking the lineout with Toner and McLaughlin selected.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Dylan Hartley
    This is the first game in a couple of years I haven't been able to make it down for. From looking at the teams Leinster do look a lot stronger in both the starting and benching players.

I have to say it's great to see Dave O Callagahan starting and O'Donnell on the bench. They've looked good whenever I've seen them before. They will have their hands full in McLaughlin, Jennings, and Heaslip though as this in theory has a great balance to it......Hook would be proud of this lol! I would have started Hurley ahead of Murphy though as Hurley I think is a better player. He certainly creates more for the team than Murphy anyway as was seen by his lovely off load last week against Connacht were if I remember right came off his wing to the opposite side.

The choice of Captains for each team is telling. ROG will in all honestly have so much on his plate all ready that I would have given it to someone else.....who else though? The only options I could see would be MOD who will more than likely be replaced by Holland at some stage, POM in his first start in a Leinster Munster game, or DOC who for whatever reason is never considered. Leinster have gone for Heaslip but could have gone for Jennings, BOD, Nacewa, McLaughlin, or even possibly Thorn.

It's good to see Hagan on the bench, he looked in a bad way last week. I can also hear BOD thinking " you want my jersey for Ireland aye.....come at me bro :P ". I hope Luke Fitz has a good game too, he made some high profile mistakes last week that cost the team. Yet he could also have won the game for Leinster! In a week where we lost Shaggy it's good to see D'arcy and BOD out there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

Dylan Hartley
    Big Nelly wrote: »
    ...But just imagine, a Munster team tiring, looking to close out game, and you see O'Brien coming off bench!!! it will automatically drain your energy! the bullock got a raw deal with Ireland and will be mad to go!!!...

For the non culchies among you, a bullock is actually a castrated bull. O'Brien might appreciate a different nickname as he doesn't play like a fella who has had that particular procedure. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Dylan Hartley
    From a Leinster point of view my first impressions are:

We can really target the lineout imo. Thorn jumping at 2 and then Toner, McLaughlin and possibly Heaslip putting real pressure everywhere else.

Kinda surprised to see D'Arcy starting, he played all the 6N matches and is obviously getting on in age, so thought he would be rested. I guess Schmidt just still sees D'Arcy as a better player to McF so needs to start, and based on Leinster form he's probably right. Also need to get the D'Arcy O'Driscoll axis back together before the quarters.

Glad to see Healy on the bench. He will be one heck of an impact and he's gotten a battering in recent times so holding him back for next week is the right call.

Also good to see the Schmidt rotation policy with Cronin starting. Big chance for him coming into the end of season run in.

With White not fit its big chance for Hagan to forget last weekend if he comes off the bench.

And finally, its impossible to predict what team Schmidt will choose, there are just so many combinations and players from which he can pick. I imagine it makes it quite difficult from opponents to prepare.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 wookie0

Dylan Hartley
    Where will the Leinster crowd be boozing before the match?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Dylan Hartley
    19543261 wrote: »
    I haven't been following rugby very long yet, but is "holding the game down" for the 50-60 minutes and then bringing on "impact" players to clean things up and conclude a viable tactic in general? Sort of like a backwards approach. Not to say that what Schmidt's done is as cleancut as that, though.

Yes it is a common enough tactic. Particularly when you are playing away from home or against a team like Italy who are all grunt and not much else.

For both the general idea is to ride the initial wave with hard graft and forward power, and then in the last 30 bring on the impact guys against a tiring side.

Against good sides they are going to be able to keep up the pressure the whole way through so that tactic doesn't work as well. Which is why I think Schmidt has gone for a bit of both as we are away from home but Munster are certainly a side that can play 80 minutes of rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Dylan Hartley
    I was fairly certain McLaughlin would start but I didn't consider the possibility of OBrien not starting! Just shows Joe is liable to do anything.

Delighted for Toner. He's earned this start.

Leinster should in theory dominate the lineout with McL at 2 (where he taught Croft a lesson a year ago), Tower at 4 and Heaslip patrolling the back.

Excited to see if Leinster can get some good quick clean ball around the field with Thorn and Jennings out there.

A very balanced team. Ridiculously excited for this game now!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Dylan Hartley
    Great Midfield battle in store with Irelands talismatic number 13 against Brian O'Driscoll ;)

Would love a Munster win, but everything seems to point towards a Leinster win.

23-15

Dylan Hartley
    DDC1990 wrote: »
    Great Midfield battle in store with Irelands talismatic number 13 against Brian O'Driscoll ;)

Would love a Munster win, but everything seems to point towards a Leinster win.

23-15

Danny Barnes is on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Leinster
    I think it can only be a good thing that no player considers himself a shoe-in to start a game.

Not withstanding the obvious benefits of managing a tiring player over a season, and also keeping bench players match fit and game ready;
    It forces the individuals to consistently prove themselves, and gives the 'other' players a tangible reason to up their game.

Someone should explain the logic to a certain International Coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Leinster
    Wow, didn't see that coming.

Thorn-Toner is probably a good mix, certainly more of an offensive line-out combo than Thorn-Cullen. The hard ground would be murder on Leo's achilles too...
    The back-row has a nice balance to it, I would always be in favour of starting O'Brien but in terms of impact subs, wow; 50 minutes gone, legs starting to get heavy and you see Healy, Strauss and O'Brien trotting on...
    The Cronin call is interesting, I presume it is more based on him having missed so many games and trying to get him back up to speed with the team ahead of the QF, rather than an indication that he is now first-choice.

Excitement about these games always starts to mount when the teams are named.

Edit: had missed the Munster team, no shortage of surprises there. I'd be interested to hear what people think is the logic behind starting Horan over WDP? Seems pretty bizarre to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Interesting selections. Joe never fails to surprise. The majority of people had their minds set on Healy, Boss, SOB and possibly Cullen to start with a real dogfight on our hands.

It looks to me Joe is relying on a fast game - we're light in the backrow with SOB on the bench, and possibly even more mobile in the engine room with Toner and Thorn. Cronin and HVDM offer some mobility in the front row as well, with Healy on the bench there's more of that coming.

Then the telling selection at 9; Reddan had been in the papers all week so I had a feeling he'd be picked, although I would've gone with Boss myself as it's always a bit of an arm wrestle at Thomond. Hopefully himself and Sexton get off to a flying start and the forecast stays clear. I read today there's chances of showers in Limerick but it'll still be 12+c, so that could make for some interesting conditions.

The backline is no surprise - D'Arcy is still the senior 12 on the team. For all of McFadden's potential, he still has that 'utility' shirt on, and he's far more valuable to Joe on the bench than D'Arcy would be. Hope BOD has the 80 minutes in him, as I really hate when D'Arcy and Ferg partner up... the ball just dies.

Munster have some interesting selections too. Very surprised not to see Hurley anywhere near the team. I'd concur that Earls seems to be the on-field utility here, with Barnes able to jump in at 13 if need be. I wonder if Jones will be bringing his kicking boots - potentially that's where they could upset Leinster - a back three of Kearney, Isa and Fitz may sound dangerous but in reality Fitzy has only been in dangerous form when in the opposition's half, Isa hasn't exactly set the world alight on the tighter side of the pitch, so it really leaves it down to a one vs one contest with Kearney, that's good odds.

Surprised TOD isn't starting also. Think he'd make an impact from the start, with DOC2 adding to an arm-wrestle situation in the second half if need be. I think Munster have the more solid front row.

It'll be interesting to see how the TH's do their jobs respectively. Botha is a rock, but Ross has the engine power on him I think. I'd imagine some calls from Nige that will raise a few eyebrows here. I think Munster have the upper hand though - especially with Ross carrying a niggle, and only Hagan on the bench. Whilst I rate Hagan as a project TH, I think he'll be lost at this level, and surprised to see him in contention after that busted rib. White must've really done some damage to his face to avoid this.

Munster have the Thomond factor, and Leinster will have the Shaggy factor! Really too tight to call. Gonna be one of those days where you just don't know what to expect. Too many variables. I'll be going into fine Thomond to scream my head off for Leinster though. Can't wait. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

On a side note, this must be a great experience for Thorn...

Strauss mentioned in an interview on the BlueMagic website, the first time he played in a Munster v Leinster derby he was shocked and amazed by the whole occasion - the training leading up to it, the hype, the intensity of the players. I think he said something along the lines of he found it the most scary and amazing times of his professional rugby career. Might be over-doing it a bit, I'll try and find a link, but there's no doubt that these games are a special occasion and it's great have an ambassador in the form of Thorn coming from a world cup winning AB team to witness it up front.

Advertisement