Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tefl in Vietnam

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭treenytru

Hey guys ..another quick question:) Is work available fairly consistantly throughtout the year? I want to travel for a bit after I leave Korea but I know that seeing as September is the start of the school year it's probably a good time to start looking for jobs...would I be an idiot to start looking at the end of September?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭moonandstars

Hi I have a question re paid summer vacations: Are somr schhols just a few weeks a year and others 8-10 weeks? For publuc schhols, for example. Are summet hols paid?
    Also which schools would you recommend? Public, private, language schools? I'm obviously looking for the best wages but also benefits overall etc thanks :)

Hi I have a question re paid summer vacations: Are somr schhols just a few weeks a year and others 8-10 weeks? For publuc schhols, for example. Are summet hols paid?
    Also which schools would you recommend? Public, private, language schools? I'm obviously looking for the best wages but also benefits overall etc thanks :)
    Pretty hard to find paid summer holidays.. The public schools usually employ people through centres so that's never paid. Some private schools do pay, some don't. International schools are more likely to pay through summer and have good benefits.

I haven't worked in an international school yet because I really like the private school I've been in for over three years.. Private schools are easier in terms of day to day workload / paperwork and have comparable wages so I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Andrew Purfield

Pretty hard to find paid summer holidays.. The public schools usually employ people through centres so that's never paid. Some private schools do pay, some don't. International schools are more likely to pay through summer and have good benefits.

I haven't worked in an international school yet because I really like the private school I've been in for over three years.. Private schools are easier in terms of day to day workload / paperwork and have comparable wages so I like it.

PM

I had Aiesec and one of their schools offer me a deal (printed out in a contract and all!!) based on a six month business visa to cover a teaching internship but they reneged and then told me to come on a Short Term Visa..waste of 2-3 months of my time...

Literally everybody on Hanoi Massive, on here, on every other site I can find, and all of the schools I have been in touch with are saying it's the Visa runs (and a permit 'after so many months' but that seems like BS unless you get lucky or bribe someone) and I do want to visit Cambodia, Laos, Thailand and friends a good bit so that could work out but I don't want to post too much under my name online...

Can someone PM me a bit more info-have you never had any problems doing the runs? How long before a permit can be obtained if you have a decent employer?

Anyways I told Aiesec and their two faced school where to go because they had promised me one thing, we arranged everything over 10 weeks on that basis, and then told me another after I had signed an agreed contract...

Now speaking to one school in HCMC, a Thai agency and a friend who works in Hr in China but I would really prefer Vietnam.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭moonandstars

Hey, I'm in a bit of a pickle re my TEFL course - I didn't pass it because I didn't get hard copies of references in but my question is can I still get work?? I have a diploma in Montessori teaching, a BA in English and Philosophy and a masters in screenwriting.. But aah I still don't have my TEFL cert, so bummed. Course completed and teaching hours down..

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭RingTheAlarm!

I have been having a think about Vietnam recently, have a teaching certification for secondary school and a Master's qualification. I also have university teaching experience. What type of work/money, etc would I be looking at do you think? Very early days but just thinking about it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Rainmann

Hey Guys!

Me and a couple of friends are really interested in going to Vietnam to teach.

We all have degrees but do not have any TEFL / CELTA courses completed. We were thinking of doing a course on arrival as we are all in full time employment here and would be difficult to allocate the time etc.. So just a couple of quick questions..

1. Is it a good idea just to fly over and complete the course there?
    2. how much cash would we need to support ourselves before we get started?
    3. We would be looking to do like 12 - 15 hours p/week and try and enjoy the place as much as we can rather than focusing on earning as much as possible. Which course would best suit that situation?

Thanks!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

Anyone on here currently teaching in Vietnam? Thread seems pretty dead!

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭shteve

I am looking into the possibility of going over to Vietnam to teach English for a few months at the beginning of next year.

Has anyone been there recently? Is the jobs situation still plentiful for inexperienced teachers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

I am hoping to go and teach in Vietnam this year and am currently applying to companies, in particular has anyone got any experience of working for "Teachers for Asia" Are they good to work for, i am qualified in TESOL so am not looking for a program where you do the cert over in Vietnam. Some other things i was wondering, trying to find out what the situation regarding internet censorship in Vietnam, if i worked there could i still access Facebook, Youtube ect, what sites are blocked or illegal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Kazuma

Hi all,

Hoping I can get some guidance re: documentation as I'm struggling to find the correct information. I'm heading to Vietnam, but I'm concerned about requiring my documents to be notarised/apostilled. The whole process is a little bewildering - the three things I'll need are my degree, my CELTA certificate, and my police certificate - I know that in order to get things apostilled I need to send them/bring them to the Dept. of Foreign Affairs, but do they need to be notarised first (all of them?)?

If anybody could shed some light on this I'd really appreciate it!

Kaz

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭DepecheHead101

Hey guys, another annoying clueless question person!

I'm thinking of doing 140 hours TEFL mixed between a weekend of classroom/online work. Vietnam is a dream place of mine to work with it but I have no degree.

Is it still a pretty loose place in regard to this? I don't mind visa hopping/starting on a lower wage. I'd be coming ideally at the end of summer next year with a decent bit of floating money and my priorities are teaching English to help sightsee, not save.

Thanks for any help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

Hey guys, another annoying clueless question person!

I'm thinking of doing 140 hours TEFL mixed between a weekend of classroom/online work. Vietnam is a dream place of mine to work with it but I have no degree.

Is it still a pretty loose place in regard to this? I don't mind visa hopping/starting on a lower wage. I'd be coming ideally at the end of summer next year with a decent bit of floating money and my priorities are teaching English to help sightsee, not save.

Thanks for any help.

How did you get on ?
    I am thinking of travelling for a few months, no degree but thinking of getting tefl to possibly supplement my income.

Advertisement